Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lag Lag Lag

I have one, just one, game that is crazy with lag. They stand there while the time keeps ticking away and after about 15-30seconds they finally start moving again. There are only 4 sims currently in a medium sized house. They are on the 3rd generation though, and I've never played one family so long.

I used MC to clean out ghosts and manually deleted most of the single elder townies, which helped a little, I think. But it's still doing it.

I also lowered my graphics settings to medium/low to see if that would help.

New games are perfect, no lag at all.

Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions to get it to run correctly? This save is basically unplayable to me. :(
Origin ID: Wyrren

Comments

• Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I noticed this family I am playing that has just one 4th Gen toddler and baby is freezing a lot more then it use to.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    kimilatifkimilatif Posts: 53 Member
    my game lags too, esepcially when its about time for the kids to go school they just stand and do nothing till they get a call for missing school.. its annoying
  • Options
    kimilatifkimilatif Posts: 53 Member
    my game lags too, esepcially when its about time for the kids to go school they just stand and do nothing till they get a call for missing school.. its annoying
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Yep...the longer you play a game, the more bugs and lag will creep up. And I don't think it has much to do with your system. I have a two gaming computers and they both experience this once I play for a while. The sims just stand around for periods of time. It's annoying.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    You can try cleaning the relationships panel and the inventory too.

You may want to stick to speed 1 as much as possible too, and you can pause the game when you see your Sims no longer move so the simulation catch up.
  • Options
    bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    I just bought City Living recently and been playing on one of the apartments and I've noticed crazy amounts of lag, which I never had before. My PC is no machine, but it handles games like The Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 fine in medium/high graphics, so TS4 should run smoothly. Not sure if the lag is related to San Myshuno or if the game gets slower with more packs added.
  • Options
    ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member
    edited February 2017
    I just bought City Living recently and been playing on one of the apartments and I've noticed crazy amounts of lag, which I never had before. My PC is no machine, but it handles games like The Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 fine in medium/high graphics, so TS4 should run smoothly. Not sure if the lag is related to San Myshuno or if the game gets slower with more packs added.
    @bythedreadwolf More packs added will have an impact on the performance, tho it depends on what kind of PC you have.
    When I got CL myself (when it was released) I had lag in apartments only, mostly if I tried to change sims in the same household or if I tried to save the game. I stopped playing (got bored) for some time and when I came back some patches had been released and I had updated my PC's hardware.
    Now I got none of those issues, can't say which one fixed it tho lol. However there seem to be a minor type of memory leak in the game. If you play for more than 2 hours the game slowly gets slower in terms of reacting. For example build mode might take some time to load up or switching sims might take some time to react as well (tested this myself without no mods) and my PC is a high end type so that issue should not happened.
    So all in all, the game has some technical issues that you can do nothing about.
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    I seem to be getting a lot of lag at the moment too. And this annoying issue with pausing, where I can pause the game and it'll take several moments to register so if I wanted to grab a screenshot of a certain thing it's too late as the sims will have moved on. It's annoying and I'm not sure why it's happening.

I do suspect my main save is getting a bit bloated now though, and that's probably contributing to the problem. What I do find helps a little is saving the game under 'save as...' and a new save name every once in a while. It doesn't fix the issue completely, but it does seem to help a little.
  • Options
    catwoman2005catwoman2005 Posts: 360 Member
    I have just put this issue in the bugs and issue section. But yes it does seem like a lot of people are experiencing this same issue and not a lot is being done about it. for me personally it is one of the biggest lags in the game and one of the longest running lags in the game that just isn't being fixed, and it is making it to the point I no longer want to play the game because it is getting to frustrating for me.
    I don't actually think it as got anything to do with what you are playing on either I defo believe it is something in the game, I have repaired my game, reset it, cleaned my files, deleted things and started again, so many times, and yet this issue still keeps reoccurring over and over again. very frustrating
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    Hello
    Just a few things to try doing in case they may help.

Sometimes having a large amount of items in the sims inventories and household inventory can cause issues. Try removing some of the items from the inventories and see if that helps.
    Try also checking the inventories of other sims households in the game. Simmers have been finding that the game has been placing items into their inventories when they are not playing their households.

Try switching between 32 bit mode and 64 bit mode and see if one of the modes helps the lagging issues more than the other
    Go to Game Library in Origin . Right click on The Sims 4 picture.
    Click on “Game Properties”. Click on Advanced Launch options.
    Change the “When launching this Game” setting to “The Sims 4 32-bit”
    Or change the “When launching this Game” setting to “The Sims 4 64-bit”

Try turning off origin in-game and see if that helps. To do that, go,to Game Library in Origin . Right click on The Sims 4 picture. Click on “Game Properties”. Then untick the box that enables origin in-game

Try playing in off line mode and see if that helps..

Move your screenshot folder to the desktop and test the game.

Make sure that your graphics drivers are uptodate
  • Options
    catwoman2005catwoman2005 Posts: 360 Member
    rosemow wrote: »
    Hello
    Just a few things to try doing in case they may help.

Sometimes having a large amount of items in the sims inventories and household inventory can cause issues. Try removing some of the items from the inventories and see if that helps.
    Try also checking the inventories of other sims households in the game. Simmers have been finding that the game has been placing items into their inventories when they are not playing their households.

Try switching between 32 bit mode and 64 bit mode and see if one of the modes helps the lagging issues more than the other
    Go to Game Library in Origin . Right click on The Sims 4 picture.
    Click on “Game Properties”. Click on Advanced Launch options.
    Change the “When launching this Game” setting to “The Sims 4 32-bit”
    Or change the “When launching this Game” setting to “The Sims 4 64-bit”

Try turning off origin in-game and see if that helps. To do that, go,to Game Library in Origin . Right click on The Sims 4 picture. Click on “Game Properties”. Then untick the box that enables origin in-game

Try playing in off line mode and see if that helps..

Move your screenshot folder to the desktop and test the game.

Make sure that your graphics drivers are uptodate

None of this really helps I have tried it all so many times.
  • Options
    MardiesMardies Posts: 7 New Member
    This is driving me insane. Today my sims just stood around for hours doing nothing no matter how much I try to make them do things they rather just stand and do the headbob. This is something that is ruining the game and need to be fixed! I'd gladely give up seasons or pets for them to fix this. And no, this was just not today it is everytime I try to play but today it made me exit the game.
  • Options
    Mardies wrote: »
    This is driving me insane. Today my sims just stood around for hours doing nothing no matter how much I try to make them do things they rather just stand and do the headbob. This is something that is ruining the game and need to be fixed! I'd gladely give up seasons or pets for them to fix this. And no, this was just not today it is everytime I try to play but today it made me exit the game.

Hello
    You may like to post feedback on this thread on the AHQ EA site that refers to the issue

http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/TO-ADD-UNDER-INVESTIGATION-Sims-doing-a-lot-of-standing-around/m-p/5868330#U5868330
  • Options
    MardiesMardies Posts: 7 New Member
    Thanks. I replied to it.
  • Options
    iamthekiamthek Posts: 56 Member
    I also have these lags. I have a familiy with 4 kids right now and they love to stand around. I also can't bathe my toddler. They just stand around until I cancel it.
    I'll try the things rosemow suggested since I haven't tried any of this. I just "refreshed" the game via Origin (it helped a little)
    "Have a good look, kids! That's how you catch tasty Sims!", said the mothercowplant to her babies. <3
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    iamthek wrote: »
    I also have these lags. I have a familiy with 4 kids right now and they love to stand around. I also can't bathe my toddler. They just stand around until I cancel it.
    I'll try the things rosemow suggested since I haven't tried any of this. I just "refreshed" the game via Origin (it helped a little)

Hello @iamthek
    This link refers to the bathing issue. It can occur when there is both a baby and a toddler in the household
    http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2017/01/cant-bath-toddler/
  • Options
    iamthekiamthek Posts: 56 Member

Hello @iamthek
    This link refers to the bathing issue. It can occur when there is both a baby and a toddler in the household

Thanky you so much for your help, @rosemow :)
    "Have a good look, kids! That's how you catch tasty Sims!", said the mothercowplant to her babies. <3
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I seem to be getting a lot of lag at the moment too. And this annoying issue with pausing, where I can pause the game and it'll take several moments to register so if I wanted to grab a screenshot of a certain thing it's too late as the sims will have moved on. It's annoying and I'm not sure why it's happening.

I do suspect my main save is getting a bit bloated now though, and that's probably contributing to the problem. What I do find helps a little is saving the game under 'save as...' and a new save name every once in a while. It doesn't fix the issue completely, but it does seem to help a little.

I'll try that then. I also experience far fewer bugs and lag when disabling online mode personally.

However, the lag seems pretty much restricted to San Myshuno for me, and one lot in Newcrest but I think it's the build I downloaded. The other worlds seem fine. It's odd.
  • Options

Hello @iamthek

Thanky you so much for your help, @rosemow :)

You're welcome :)
  • Options
    midnightchillimidnightchilli Posts: 6 New Member
    I've recently been playing the Goth family on a new save with no mods running and only a few custom content hairstyles installed, and the lag is unbearable. I first noticed the game being unresponsive around the time City Living came out, but there was a Simulation Lag Fix mod by simmythesims which fixed the problem for me. The mod doesn't work anymore because of recent updates, so the game is back to being borderline unplayable.

I'm completely open to this issue being a hardware issue, as I'm running the game on a mid-2012 MacBook Pro which isn't made for gaming. I've also been watching Deligracy's playthrough of the vampires game pack, and I haven't seen her experience any lag which I assume is because she is running the game on a more powerful computer than mine. At the same time however, The game ran smoothly for me before City Living came out, even with every expansion and game pack installed.

This is a shame because I really enjoy The Sims 4, but I really cannot play it in its current state. I hope the developers are aware of this issue and are working on a fix. :'(
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    BLSSNG wrote: »
    I've recently been playing the Goth family on a new save with no mods running and only a few custom content hairstyles installed, and the lag is unbearable. I first noticed the game being unresponsive around the time City Living came out, but there was a Simulation Lag Fix mod by simmythesims which fixed the problem for me. The mod doesn't work anymore because of recent updates, so the game is back to being borderline unplayable.

I'm completely open to this issue being a hardware issue, as I'm running the game on a mid-2012 MacBook Pro which isn't made for gaming. I've also been watching Deligracy's playthrough of the vampires game pack, and I haven't seen her experience any lag which I assume is because she is running the game on a more powerful computer than mine. At the same time however, The game ran smoothly for me before City Living came out, even with every expansion and game pack installed.

This is a shame because I really enjoy The Sims 4, but I really cannot play it in its current state. I hope the developers are aware of this issue and are working on a fix. :'(

Hello @BLSSNG
    You may like to post on a thread in the Mac section of the forums about your issues. Mac simmers may be able to suggest ways to help you with the lagging.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-4-on-mac-discussions
  • Options
    midnightchillimidnightchilli Posts: 6 New Member
    @rosemow I just did as you suggested, thanks. :smile:

• Options
    bishop49erbishop49er Posts: 79 Member
    I've had quite a few of my builds lag on me simply because I need a refrigerated daemon to run them. I need to build more simply, I think.