Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Looking Deeper Into Vampire Powers

SnowieSnowie Posts: 441 Member
Ok! I've done a bit of editing and staring at the vampire powers page EA has given us, and I think we can try to figure out what the powers/weaknesses are, as well as the frequency at which you have to choose weaknesses, and possible further expansion of the powers.

Here's the original photo, for reference (and color)
TS4_736_GP04_POWERS_SCREENS_01_ENLGISH_001.jpg

Next up is my edited image, with labels so we can keep track of which powers and weaknesses everyone is talking about!
tDTpdPl.jpg

Below is my ideas of what the powers are (Bolded text is confirmed powers/weaknesses):
1.a Knowing Sim traits (or occult species).
1.b Turning into a bat. "Bat Form"
1.c Having a reflection.
1.d Vampire doesn't have to be invited into a house.
1.e Turning into mist (note, three levels to this one).
2.a Irresistible--Romance interactions are more successful and are accessible sooner. "Vampiric Charm"
2.b Super Strength. "Vampiric Strength"
2.c "Command" (mind control).
2.d Garlic resistance
2.e Friendliness, maybe?
3.a Daze a Sim.
3.b Gain skills faster at night (similar to TS3).
3.c Knock a Sim out.
3.d Unsure
3.e Drink from sleeping Sims?
4.a Some sort of meditation, maybe it freezes needs while meditating.
4.b "Supernatural speed".
4.c "Deprive Needs"
4.d Sunlight resistance. (Thanks, @luimistelija )
4.e Sparkling in the sunlight.
5.a Looks like it has something to do with the light/dark forms, perhaps switching to dark form doesn't reveal your vampirism to nearby Sims.
5.b Unsure
5.c Unsure
5.d Not sure... it looks a bit like a sun, though.
5.e Looks like a party hat. Maybe it makes parties more successful or unlocks a new party type.

The weaknesses are a bit easier to decipher and there seems to be room for expansion in the box, perhaps adding packs will add to the weaknesses?
w.1 Can only eat plasma OR can only drink from Sims. "Withered Stomach"
w.2 Can't drink from other Sims (Moral Vampire). "Guilty Drinker"
w.3 "Uncontrollable Hissing"
w.4 Increased thirst rate.
w.5 Increased weakness to sunlight/more flammable. "Thin Skinned"
w.6 Can only sleep in coffins. "Sleep of the Dead"
w.7 Can't get a good night's sleep (wake up with a negative moodlet).
w.8 Can't drink anything but plasma maybe?
w.9 Decreased movement speed in sunlight.
w.10 Not sure, maybe they can't cry or cry blood? (That would be a dark twist)
w.11 Everyone is scared of or doesn't want to interact with your Sim--friendly, romantic, mischief, and funny interactions are less likely to succeed.

To me, the weaknesses also seem to be things that would be picked up by other Sims as "vampire" traits, which means Sims will discover that someone is a vampire (this happens with aliens too, but it's far less in-depth). So talking long enough to someone with the hissing trait may reveal you as a vampire, along with a couple others.

NOW, we get to the math. The vampire Sim here has 7 powers unlocked, with 12 points left over. She has three weaknesses, and has to take two more for a total of 5. Note that the level 1 powers cost 2 points each, level 2 costs 3, and so on. Based on this, the level 5 powers would cost 6 points.
Guess 1: You take a weakness for every power selected past the first level of vampirism (1.a-1.e).
Guess 2: You take a weakness for every 5 power points spent (this vampire is currently at 24 points spent)

Lastly, it appears the weaknesses unlock with the power level. So a level 1 vampire can only have w.1-w.3. I would also guess that the power points are gained by doing vampire actions, and maybe passively during the night. If you gain points passively, they're likely not linked directly to vampire level--so you can have 200 power points, but still be level 1 (in theory).

Those are my thoughts on what we've been given on vampire powers! Any blanks you can fill in, or if you have a better image to reference, please comment below! :)
Playing the History Challenge? Make sure you have the up-to-date rules here!
Post edited by Snowie on

Comments

• Options
    Internal_ChaosInternal_Chaos Posts: 66 Member
    2c is Command
    Gallery Username: Internal_Chaos
  • Options
    Internal_ChaosInternal_Chaos Posts: 66 Member
    That is one of the ones that was in the powers trailer.
    Gallery Username: Internal_Chaos
  • Options
    BrinnBrinn Posts: 327 Member
    I don't think that having a reflection is a power. It's just so boring and doesn't give any real advantage. I hope there is something more interesting like talking to your reflection ("magic mirror"). It could be useful for loner vampires.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    edited January 2017
    May I make a suggestion? As powers and weaknesses are confirmed, make the print bold to stand out.

These are confirmed powers shown in the latest trailer:

1B. Bat Form
    2A. Vampiric Charm
    2B. Vampiric Strength
    2C. Command
    4B. Supernatural Speed

W1. Withered Stomach
    W2. Guilty Drinker
    W3. Uncontrollable Hissing
    W5. Thin Skinned
    W6. Sleep Of The Dead

These are my guesses and my guesses only:

1A. Mind Reader
    1C. Duel
    1D. Always Welcome
    2D. Garlic Resistant
    2E. Guilt Free Drinker
    3A. Mesmerize
    3C. Put To Sleep
    4A. Dark Meditation
    4D. Day Walker

W4. Water Phobic

Walk In The Mist and Occult Student have been mentioned, but I don't see an icon that would fit. They may be on level 5.

Post edited by Dannydanbo on
  • Options
    JohnVanGouldJohnVanGould Posts: 124 Member
    I remember @SimGuruNinja referring to occult student being the first icon to the right of the first power rank (the one that looks like a little flame).
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    4.d Unsure, but it's greyed out so it must conflict with another power/weakness.
    I think this is sunproof.
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Cool thanks for putting in the effort @Snowie

@Dannydanbo yeah those seem about right actually. I guess 1E could indeed be the walk in mist thing though like @Snowie suggested. Can't imagine it being one of the higher powers, but I'm not sure.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I think 2.c Is mind controlling power. It's a commanding hand like "You do this for me now!"
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    okesterokester Posts: 4,136 Member
    I'm trying to compile a list of powers and weaknesses that would be fitting for a faux werewolf. Obvious powers are immunity to sunlight, super strength and speed, and immunity to garlic. Weaknesses however, I can't seem to think of any that would be fitting for a werewolf... Having feelings of guilt maybe (the one where they only drink plasma fruit)?
    Origin ID: Okest3r_13 Check out my Sims 4 creations!
  • Options
    AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Hey, there's the power to turn into a bed!
  • Options
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    Cool thanks for putting in the effort @Snowie

@Dannydanbo yeah those seem about right actually. I guess 1E could indeed be the walk in mist thing though like @Snowie suggested. Can't imagine it being one of the higher powers, but I'm not sure.

The ones in the trailer show the icon as they show the power or weakness. The icon they show for Walk In The Mist is a figure in a cloud similar to the Bat Form icon. However, that icon in the trailer may be a second level for Walk In The Mist, so 1E could be the first level. I don't know why they would change icons, that could confuse people.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Do we know (have I missed the info?) how many powers and weaknesses can be applied to each vampire?
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Do we know (have I missed the info?) how many powers and weaknesses can be applied to each vampire?

I got the idea that it may be possible to eventually obtain all the powers which would include all the weaknesses, too.
  • Options
    JohnVanGouldJohnVanGould Posts: 124 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »

I got the idea that it may be possible to eventually obtain all the powers which would include all the weaknesses, too.

This, but there are some powers which are incompatible with some weaknesses (ex: thin-skinned and sunproof). You could see it in some stills of the trailer.
  • Options
    I added command and bolded the confirmed powers in the OP as @Dannydanbo suggested :)

From my understanding you can get (nearly) every power, but still have to pick weaknesses and some of them conflict. Sorta like traits, you can't be evil and good at the same time. I'd be willing to bet you passively unlock interactions etc just from leveling up the vampire, even if you don't take any powers. For example, I bet dueling becomes unlocked at level 2 or 3.
    okester wrote: »
    I'm trying to compile a list of powers and weaknesses that would be fitting for a faux werewolf. Obvious powers are immunity to sunlight, super strength and speed, and immunity to garlic. Weaknesses however, I can't seem to think of any that would be fitting for a werewolf... Having feelings of guilt maybe (the one where they only drink plasma fruit)?

This would be a really cool mod, you would have to use the dark form as the wolf form, and maybe find some way to make it so your Sims transform into it at night? The mod would need a lot of CC body hair and werewolf-y teeth, face parts, etc. Kinda difficult though, as the modder would likely have to re-do all the coding that tells the powers/weaknesses what to do, since they mostly don't make sense for a werewolf. I can see it being possible, though :)

Honestly I'm not a huge vampire fan (I'm on the witches train), but this is the best I've ever seen the vampires done in Sims and it bodes well for future supernaturals. Frankly I don't care if every supernatural type comes in a GP by itself, if it means they're gonna be this well fleshed-out. I really like that they added the system that makes other Sims "figure out" if you're an alien/vampire, because now Sims will have reactions to discovering her boyfriend is a bloodsucking vampire who might kill her in her sleep ;)
  • Options
    okesterokester Posts: 4,136 Member
    Snowie wrote: »
    I added command and bolded the confirmed powers in the OP as @Dannydanbo suggested :)

From my understanding you can get (nearly) every power, but still have to pick weaknesses and some of them conflict. Sorta like traits, you can't be evil and good at the same time. I'd be willing to bet you passively unlock interactions etc just from leveling up the vampire, even if you don't take any powers. For example, I bet dueling becomes unlocked at level 2 or 3.

This would be a really cool mod, you would have to use the dark form as the wolf form, and maybe find some way to make it so your Sims transform into it at night? The mod would need a lot of CC body hair and werewolf-y teeth, face parts, etc. Kinda difficult though, as the modder would likely have to re-do all the coding that tells the powers/weaknesses what to do, since they mostly don't make sense for a werewolf. I can see it being possible, though :)

Honestly I'm not a huge vampire fan (I'm on the witches train), but this is the best I've ever seen the vampires done in Sims and it bodes well for future supernaturals. Frankly I don't care if every supernatural type comes in a GP by itself, if it means they're gonna be this well fleshed-out. I really like that they added the system that makes other Sims "figure out" if you're an alien/vampire, because now Sims will have reactions to discovering her boyfriend is a bloodsucking vampire who might kill her in her sleep ;)

Nah, I don't need any mods xD I was indeed planning to make a vampire with a normal form and dark form. I'll make the normal form look as normal as possible, and the dark will obviously look like a lycan. I've already made a pretty great "werewolf" Sim, but with the new CAS features for vamps (pointed ears and such) I'm sure I can make an even better one! But yeah, still kinda stumped with figuring out powers and weaknesses for the wereSim...
    Origin ID: Okest3r_13 Check out my Sims 4 creations!
  • Options
    happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Isn't 3d that levitating thing we've seen in screenshots/trailers ? I'm not sure how that could be a power though. Gathering energy ?
  • Options
    Snowie wrote: »

Thanks for doing this (I forgot to say that the first time). Based on the new clip, you can add 4C. Deprive Needs. (if you want to be accurate, the names I gave you are the actual confirmed names according to the trailers, if you want to be accurate.) (sorry, my OCD is kicking in, thanks again.)
  • Options
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Thanks for doing this (I forgot to say that the first time). Based on the new clip, you can add 4C. Deprive Needs. (if you want to be accurate, the names I gave you are the actual confirmed names according to the trailers, if you want to be accurate.) (sorry, my OCD is kicking in, thanks again.)

Oh! I meant to do that (I did with the weaknesses), OP is edited to add it. I agree with @luimistelija that 4d. is likely resistance to sunlight or being sunproof so I've added it to the OP as well :)
    Brinn wrote: »
    I don't think that having a reflection is a power. It's just so boring and doesn't give any real advantage. I hope there is something more interesting like talking to your reflection ("magic mirror"). It could be useful for loner vampires.

I agree it doesn't really give an advantage, but it plays nicely with a vampire who's trying to pass as human. I'd guess if a Sim took a picture with/of a vampire, they wouldn't show up in the picture and the photographer would then know they're a vampire. I tend to play my Sims like introverts so being able to talk to your reflection would be cool too :)