Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Tab key

Ok so someone mentioned that to get great pics you need to use the tab key. Now I found the Tab key and I can direct it sort of, But how do you simmers use it to get your awesome pics?? help please. mine are always so far away from the sims.

Comments

• Options
    CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    After pressing the tab key, zoom in with the mouse wheel. Q makes the camera go down, E makes it go up; WASD puts the camera forward and back (W, D) and side to side (A, S).

It's easier to set the camera as close as you can at first, then using tab+mouse wheel to get in even closer.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    Learning to use the tab key kind of changed my life :blush:
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member
    Yah, whatever Cement said. Also, I find it easier to use if you are on TS3 camera mode than the TS4 mode cuz you can start off placing your camera close to your sims' face or get the angle that you want much easily and then go to tab mode and tweak it a bit. That's how I take my screenshots at least. Oh, and also pause your game while you're doing all of that so you don't miss the moment! :blush:
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    Another tip for the tab key is while in that mode when you have your game paused, if you want to start the action, but stay in tab mode, hit the number 1 key to unpause and the number 0 to pause again. That really comes in handy if you like the angle you're at, but paused before the shot you want to take has actually happened.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited January 2017
    I play with in Sims 3 camera mode if that does make it easier. Key commands while in tab mode as noted above. I avoid zooming in/out with tab because it warps the angle you're veiwing is the best way I can describe it. I only tab mode if I can't get everything I want in frame.

Take pictures at eye level with the main focus in frame
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    Thank you all so much, my pics should be so much better.
  • Options
    CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    You can also pause and play with the key with the tilde (~)/grave (`) key, also. :)
  • Options
    I see many use TS3 camera, I'm using TS4 camera and getting good screenshots would be near impossible without the tab key because there's no way to change the angle. That's why I use it always.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I wouldn't know the advantages/disadvantages of Sims 4 camera mode since I prefer Sims 3 mode. Could never get the hang of it... Besides, I still play Sims 3.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    I wouldn't know the advantages/disadvantages of Sims 4 camera mode since I prefer Sims 3 mode. Could never get the hang of it... Besides, I still play Sims 3.

I was playing sims 3 all last week just for the toddlers. now we have toddlers in 4, my 3 wont get played a lot unless I fancy a trip to Egypt.
    I also find the mouse wheel hard to use for top pictures, you know the ariel view. (arthritic fingers) but I do wish we had that option in 4.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    Karababy52 wrote: »
    Another tip for the tab key is while in that mode when you have your game paused, if you want to start the action, but stay in tab mode, hit the number 1 key to unpause and the number 0 to pause again. That really comes in handy if you like the angle you're at, but paused before the shot you want to take has actually happened.

Wow, thanks, I did not know this. :)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited January 2017
    EDIT: oops wrong thread
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Karababy52 wrote: »

Holy crikey! This just changed everything! In past games it was the P button and I have been so irked that it doesn't work in TS4. Now I have a shortcut key. Rejoice simmers...For I shall take great screenshots once more!

• Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    You can also use the Z key to zoom in while in TAB-mode and use the X key to zoom out again.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I've been meaning to check these commands and finally googled them:

home = walls up
    end = walls down
    page up = floor up
    page down = floor down
  • Options
    Update: In TAB mode, you can press 0 (zero) to pause and unpause! OMG...that really made taking pics so much easier!
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    I had forgotten about the 0 key in tab mode. Thanks for reminding.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Never knew about 0 in tab mode! Thanks!
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    0 and 1 also work outside of tab mode, it's not tab mode exclusive. It's how I pause, un-pause, and change speeds while playing.

0 = pause
    1 = speed 1
    2 = speed 2
    3 = speed 3
  • Options
    Seera1024 wrote: »
    0 and 1 also work outside of tab mode, it's not tab mode exclusive. It's how I pause, un-pause, and change speeds while playing.

0 = pause
    1 = speed 1
    2 = speed 2
    3 = speed 3

In live mode, I use P, 1,2,3. In Tab mode, P does not work and I never thought to try 1 or 0. LoL. I was always annoyed taking pics in TS4 until now. :smiley:
  • Options
    REDMAVENREDMAVEN Posts: 57 Member
    I can't believe I've been playing this long and just now learned about the tab key.
  • Options
    Cherrybug90Cherrybug90 Posts: 75 Member
    I only learned about the tab key last month. Made taking cute photos so much easier.
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member

0 = pause
    1 = speed 1
    2 = speed 2
    3 = speed 3

Why y'all wanna move your hand all the way to 0 from 1 when you can just use the ` key which is right beside the 1 key? That's what I always do. Whenever I'm on tab mode, my ring finger is on 1 or `, middle finger on 2, and index finger on 3, but I usually toggle between ` and 1 to get the right moment. :D
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    DeKay wrote: »

0 = pause
    1 = speed 1
    2 = speed 2
    3 = speed 3

Why y'all wanna move your hand all the way to 0 from 1 when you can just use the ` key which is right beside the 1 key? That's what I always do. Whenever I'm on tab mode, my ring finger is on 1 or `, middle finger on 2, and index finger on 3, but I usually toggle between ` and 1 to get the right moment. :D

I use my keyboard's number pad. 0 and 1 are right next to each other and the 2 and the 3 are nearby as well.
  • Options
    Colorist40Colorist40 Posts: 7,103 Member
    In tab mode you can press the key right above tab next to the one and it too will pause the game. It does for me at any rate lol.