Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does The Sims 4 have enough lots?

Comments

• Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    What it boils down to is the persons play style. Some people like to build new venues that fit their play style, while others are happy with what is already in the game. Some people like only having one of each venue type, while others like to have different types of the same venue. I am one that isn't happy with what is pre-installed within the game and build my own. I am also one that like to have different types of the same venue. The fancy venues for those nice romantic dates, family type venues for families and then others for just hanging out with friends. I don't always got to the same places for the things I do in my life and I don't want the same for my Sims. I don't play rotainonally all that much but I do like for my Sims friends to have their own homes for my Sim to be invited to. I also like to have makeshift for scenery purposes. This lots are mostly make shift and serve no real purpose but for my own amusement. I love it when my Sim sitting on a park bench at a zoo talking to his date while some insane townie is talking to themselves. It kind of looks like the crazy person at the zoo talking to the animals!! LOL

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    ehaught58ehaught58 Posts: 2,765 Member
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    Unpopular opinion, but yes.

I did the math, and TS4 has got more lots than Sunset Valley. Yes, if you compare it to each and every one of TS3's Worlds, it'll come up short, but in TS3 you could only play one World at a time. In TS4, all of them are available to you.

Not to mention, in TS3, plenty of those lots were either tiny as plum, or they were rabbitholes. Sunset Valley, for instance, had 16 rabbit holes.
    So, Sunset Valley's 90-something lots are actually closer to 75. And with each EP, those available lots would dwindle more and more. Want a horse? You need an Equestrian Center. Want to be a movie star? You need a Film Studio. Want to live in a penthouse without starting a brand-new save and losing all of your Sims' relationships? You'll need to plonk down a penthouse shell. Consignment Store? That'll cost you a lot. Fire Department? That's another one gone.

Conversely, in TS4, do you need a library in every world? A gym? No. Sure, you can, and that'll eat up your available space, but that's your choice. You're not limited to one world. Yes, you need to play in San Myshuno if you want an apartment, but at the same time, if you want an actual house? You gotta go back to Willow Creek. And there's nothing stopping you from doing so. Limiting yourself to one world is 100% your choice, not EA's.

Now, if you'll remember, I said Sunset Valley had 90-ish lots. Let's count how many you've got in TS4.

21 lots in Willow Creek. 21 in Oasis Springs. 15 in Newcrest. 4 in Magnolia Promenade. 26 in Windenburg, not counting the special lots. 30 in San Myshuno. There's 117 lots available to live in and visit, and that's not even counting Granite Falls.

117. And with each expansion or GP that brings a new world, that number is only going to increase.

I don't think it is fair to leave out using CAW in TS3. Not only did it give us the ability to have more user-defined lots to build on, it also opened us up to a plethora of worlds to add to our game. Until EA/Maxis gives us the ability to add our own lots in some way, there really is no comparison of TS4 to previous versions.
    fkgck4xkargo.png
    "If you build it, they will come." - Movie: Field of Dreams
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    Do you think The Sims 4 has enough lots?

No.

raw
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited April 2017

I did the math, and TS4 has got more lots than Sunset Valley. Yes, if you compare it to each and every one of TS3's Worlds, it'll come up short, but in TS3 you could only play one World at a time. In TS4, all of them are available to you.

Not to mention, in TS3, plenty of those lots were either tiny as plum, or they were rabbitholes. Sunset Valley, for instance, had 16 rabbit holes.
    So, Sunset Valley's 90-something lots are actually closer to 75. And with each EP, those available lots would dwindle more and more. Want a horse? You need an Equestrian Center. Want to be a movie star? You need a Film Studio. Want to live in a penthouse without starting a brand-new save and losing all of your Sims' relationships? You'll need to plonk down a penthouse shell. Consignment Store? That'll cost you a lot. Fire Department? That's another one gone.

Conversely, in TS4, do you need a library in every world? A gym? No. Sure, you can, and that'll eat up your available space, but that's your choice. You're not limited to one world. Yes, you need to play in San Myshuno if you want an apartment, but at the same time, if you want an actual house? You gotta go back to Willow Creek. And there's nothing stopping you from doing so. Limiting yourself to one world is 100% your choice, not EA's.

Now, if you'll remember, I said Sunset Valley had 90-ish lots. Let's count how many you've got in TS4.

21 lots in Willow Creek. 21 in Oasis Springs. 15 in Newcrest. 4 in Magnolia Promenade. 26 in Windenburg, not counting the special lots. 30 in San Myshuno. There's 117 lots available to live in and visit, and that's not even counting Granite Falls.

117. And with each expansion or GP that brings a new world, that number is only going to increase.

How is it fair to limit lots to one world in Sims 3 to every world in Sims 4? There are different worlds in Sims 4, and each is entirely different geographically and aesthetically. Willow Creek, Oasis Springs, Windeburg, and San Muyshuno share no stylized assets, share no environmental assets (maybe some trees), and have completely different public space activities.

I personally find it completely immersion breaking to have my sim travel to a completely different geographical region just to go to the gym, or a restaurant, or any venue that I could place in that world where my Sims are living. Do you have to travel to the desert to go workout? How about traveling to Germany just to go to a cafe?

So I disagree that the game has enough lots. Having the ability to travel freely amongst the worlds shouldn't have to result in completely unrealistic infrastructure. Let's also talk about lot diversity, there's few large lots. We have 2 64x64 lots, and 4 50x50 where two are heavily stylized parks unfit for residential use. Actually there are a few heavily stylized neighborhoods that are unfit for residential use, which you don't take into consideration with your math.

So regardless of a general number increase with every world we pay for, there's still only a handful of lots in that heavily stylized world. I prefer self contained worlds because it's not realistic whatsoever having one venue type for the entire save. I guess immersion only matters if The Sims 4 cuts it for you.
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member

How is it fair to limit lots to one world in Sims 3 to every world in Sims 4? There are different worlds in Sims 4, and each is entirely different geographically and aesthetically. Willow Creek, Oasis Springs, Windeburg, and San Muyshuno share no stylized assets, share no environmental assets (maybe some trees), and have completely different public space activities.

I really wouldn't compare worlds in TS3 to "worlds" in TS4. I do get your point, but despite the difference in aesthetics, all the "worlds" in TS4 are meant to be (able to be) played with one save. For example Magnolia Promenade is the shopping district. Worlds in TS4 are more like the neighborhoods in TS2.

Right now, if playing one save for any length of time, it's near impossible to have all families and all the venues in one TS4 world.

For me, having different styles for the different worlds doesn't break immersion. I'm actually glad there is no open world for TS4, based on the way they set it up. Because I can imagine that the big city San Myshuno is just a train ride away from Willow Creek.

However, recently I was playing TS3. I selected Appaloosa Plains as my sims's world. Well after a while, I started feeling kind of closed in, because AP is a rural town, and I wanted my sims and their offspring to have fun in the big city. But that would require moving my sims completely to Bridgeport and losing all connections in AP. So, for that reason, I prefer the way worlds are set up in TS4.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I would say no! If I cringe every time a Sim has twins, it is a bad sign. I am always concerned I am not going to have room for them. I never worried about this in Sims 2 or 3
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited April 2017
    Pegasys wrote: »

I really wouldn't compare worlds in TS3 to "worlds" in TS4. I do get your point, but despite the difference in aesthetics, all the "worlds" in TS4 are meant to be (able to be) played with one save. For example Magnolia Promenade is the shopping district. Worlds in TS4 are more like the neighborhoods in TS2.

Right now, if playing one save for any length of time, it's near impossible to have all families and all the venues in one TS4 world.

For me, having different styles for the different worlds doesn't break immersion. I'm actually glad there is no open world for TS4, based on the way they set it up. Because I can imagine that the big city San Myshuno is just a train ride away from Willow Creek.

However, recently I was playing TS3. I selected Appaloosa Plains as my sims's world. Well after a while, I started feeling kind of closed in, because AP is a rural town, and I wanted my sims and their offspring to have fun in the big city. But that would require moving my sims completely to Bridgeport and losing all connections in AP. So, for that reason, I prefer the way worlds are set up in TS4.

I prefer S2s way of handling worlds. I have 1 main neighbourhood, 10 subhoods, 3 shopping districts, 3 University worlds, and 6 vacation worlds. I play over 225 sims in that neighbourhood (1 save). I see the sims in each world neighbourhood walking by when I play a family. I am able to travel between each one. The main playable and liveable worlds are 14 in total. I can add more as I please. S3 aside. Don't see the point of these 3 vs 4 arguments.

Answer to the question. No. 4 is limited, claustrophobic, and lacking in creativity and expansion.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    For my style of play, yes I have enough lots currently.
  • Options
    cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    edited April 2017
    Sims 3 open world easily beats Sims 4's mini worlds. Like Drake said the worlds in Sims4 couldn't be more different they not like going to another neighborhood it's like teleporting to a completely different State or even country. Sims 3 at least let me have a completely self contained community with enough base lots to fit several commercial/residential lots in while keeping the same feel (or not)
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    kremesch73 wrote: »

I prefer S2s way of handling worlds. I have 1 main neighbourhood, 10 subhoods, 3 shopping districts, 3 University worlds, and 6 vacation worlds. I play over 225 sims in that neighbourhood (1 save). I see the sims in each world neighbourhood walking by when I play a family. I am able to travel between each one. The main playable and liveable worlds are 14 in total. I can add more as I please. S3 aside. Don't see the point of these 3 vs 4 arguments.

Answer to the question. No. 4 is limited, claustrophobic, and lacking in creativity and expansion.

agreed
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    Nope, I've got a housing crisis going on in my game atm with so many sims waiting to live somewhere seeing as all the houses are full.
    tumblr_inline_miosdzkvOM1qz4rgp.gif
    anigif_enhanced-926-1414514178-1.gif
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    As long as The Sims 4 doesn't offer the ability to create/add new lots (like Sims 2 and Sims did) the game will always not have enough lots. It's honestly very saddening when the fourth installment of a franchise is more restricted than the previous installments. Even the original Sims had more lots than The Sims 4... which is just disturbing.
    And Sims 3.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options

Travelling between worlds is a great advantage in 4, but the sacrifices apparently necessary still make me prefer the Sims 3 way. Because I can build that city if I want to in AP (simply bulldoze an area and replace it with high buildings).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited April 2017
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Travelling between worlds is a great advantage in 4, but the sacrifices apparently necessary still make me prefer the Sims 3 way. Because I can build that city if I want to in AP (simply bulldoze an area and replace it with high buildings).

Agreed traveling between worlds is a powerful tool but aside from Newcrest there isn't much in terms of empty space to build in any individual world(to me at least). As a builder I find myself creating new saves for the sole purpose of getting more lots to build in.

Not regarding the quoted comment;
    Dispite the fact that the sims 4 worlds have more space than sunset valley combined if I just wanted to build in sims 3 I could plop down new lots,and I spent a lot of time changing towns around and creating stories for the town. In the sims 4 each town kinda feels like it's story is pre-made for me and individually they are small which can limit me. For example if I want to build and tell a story about a bustling city I am pretty much stuck in San Myshuno due to not being able to move apartments around. As well there is the set dressing issue, If I want a whole town to feel kinda old and Victorian then I have to use Midnight Hallow because other wise I'll have a bunch or really modern cookie cutter houses (like in Newcrest) sitting in the background which kind of ruins the vibe for me.
    I could get over the background set dressing though in order to have the ability to bounce from to world to world so long as I could add more lots to the area with the set dressing so if I wanted to make a little Victorian town I could actually make a decent town not just 5 buildings. But I feel as though that isn't possible with the game engine.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    @BeJaWa Very much agreed, except for the getting over the background set dressing really... It already would have been so much better if we would have been free to choose the background. If there would have been tools for simmers to adjust neighborhoods to their liking. They turned a do-it-yourself game into what-you-see-is-what-you-get.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    @BeJaWa Very much agreed, except for the getting over the background set dressing really... It already would have been so much better if we would have been free to choose the background. If there would have been tools for simmers to adjust neighborhoods to their liking. They turned a do-it-yourself game into what-you-see-is-what-you-get.

Actually a way to change background set dressing would be amazing didn't even think of that possibility.
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,094 Member
    I had more lots in 1 Sims 2 neighborhood my downtown alone probable had double the lots we have now if not more, so no not enough. Overall builders have been ignored with Sims 4 sadly it seems it will continue this way.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    "You rule!" is such a bigest lying slogan slapped to my face. We cannot 'rule' without giving us the tool to place new lots, and thus rule our world, inhabitants and population the way we want to.

Answer to the OP: NO!
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    johnjetjohnjet Posts: 101 Member
    edited May 2017
    What I have found rather interesting or telling in how those who want or need more lots are being treated is a quote that I read from one of the sim guru's when they were asked a question about the size of the world.

https://simsvip.com/2014/09/07/the-sims-4-guru-confirms-neighborhoods-are-expandable/

Now this was made in 2014. Since that time the following areas have been released:

San Myshuno - Nov 1st 2016
    Windenburg - Dec 2015
    Forgotten Hollow - Jan 2017
    Newcrest - June 2015
    Granite Falls - January 2015
    Magnolia Promenade - March 2015

And all of these neighborhoods have been smaller or the around the same size as the base game worlds.

Also the vast majority of new lots were released in 2015, with just 1 in 2016 and again just 1 so far this year. Given that they have confirmed that they could expand either the existing neighborhoods or increase the size of new neighborhoods, then why hasn't this been done.

Why has nothing changed since this was posted by the sim-guru in 2014.

Going by 2015 as a guide then we are "behind" in new neighborhoods. There should at least have been 4 additional hoods added in 2016, either in expansions or via an update.

Clearly they have either dropped the ball and concentrated too much on additional packs, to give us proper fleshed out larger neighborhoods or we're not as important as other players.
    Post edited by johnjet on
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Malisity wrote: »
    Number of lots, yes i do think so. I never feel like I am short on them. I still would love more diverse worlds perhaps a beach world with the option of beach lots with water swimming. Perhaps in a summer activity game pack. I of course want a proper Seasons EP.

I could use a dozen more houses in spots in WC. I could use a dozen more lots in OS. Sometimes, you want your favorite Sims to live in the same district (next door etc.) to your other favorite Sims. And by having to keep the aura of an area the same and try to build something in that design as the house next door is a pain. But besides that, If I have ten households who I think should live beside each other (Consider the movie The Burbs, lol) it's never going to happen as long as I can't place vacant lots anywhere I like, like I did in TS2/TS3.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    SkobeeSkobee Posts: 2,864 Member
    No, I don't think the Sims 4 has enough lots. However, the reason for that is because you're stuck with the lots they give you. It limits creativity and therefor I don't use all of the lots provided. You see, I love small lots. They make more sense to me since I live in a country where houses are very close to eachother, you don't have a ton of space so you work with what you got. In the Sims 4 everything is spaced out and you end up with having huge lots. It's so much space I litterly have no idea what to build. So I leave them open or never use them. It's such a waste..

That's why i'm always hoping for my own CAW tool, because I feel so limited in building..
    Origin ID - RosyAngelina
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

I could use a dozen more houses in spots in WC. I could use a dozen more lots in OS. Sometimes, you want your favorite Sims to live in the same district (next door etc.) to your other favorite Sims. And by having to keep the aura of an area the same and try to build something in that design as the house next door is a pain. But besides that, If I have ten households who I think should live beside each other (Consider the movie The Burbs, lol) it's never going to happen as long as I can't place vacant lots anywhere I like, like I did in TS2/TS3.

I love that movie. I never understood why the have that large vacant area in the GTW world. Magnolia Something. There is/was so much potential for more lots in that world. Complete missed opportunity there.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Options
    TEYA711TEYA711 Posts: 23 Member
    Lot placement, please. My favorite world in Sims 4 is Windenburg because of the 'open' feel the rural areas have, even though it may not actually be larger. I loved the open world of Sims 3 and would love to experience an open world in Sims 4, if possible (but, not here to debate that issue). However, back to the lots issue, map view in Sims 4 shows plenty of open spaces in each world on which I would like to place lots for my builds for my sims to live in. In fact, some of the current worlds have an unfinished look to me because of so much unused, inaccessible space, especially in Newport and Magnolia Promenade. In the meantime, to increase lot use for my purposes, I save a copy of the original game lots, so not to lose access to them, and then I demolish them and add my own builds for my sims to live in. I have many of my sims households in each world, except Magnolia, and in doing so, I've noticed my created sims population ratio overtaking game townies by 2 to 3; so, I need more space for my sims households to continue to populate within the same game. Therefore, what I would really like is the ability to move existing lots, as well as, add additional lots to place wherever I prefer for my created and continually growing sims households.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,084 Member
    I think we need bigger lots as well. All these lots turning up that are 40/30 when you want to make a beautiful mansion, Not enough 50/50 and 64/64.
    Every time a pack comes out, I upgrade my Special Project.
  • Options
    heatherXkittyheatherXkitty Posts: 307 Member
    edited May 2017
    We definitely need more lots, as a builder its hard to delete lots to make space for something new. I don't even like bulldozing premade maxis lots, I usually remodel them.

I said this in another thread, but I think adding another neighborhood to newcrest with 4 - 6 lots might temporarily help since creating a whole new world probably takes time, especially if it ends up being free.
    banner_3.jpg?w=1200