Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Questions for Gamescom Q&A Panel

Comments

• Options
    anniebanani0687anniebanani0687 Posts: 14 New Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    To all the people who said they're tired of complaints about toddlers / toddlers hijacking the conversation about what's lacking in TS4: I really do not on principle disagree with you. I like toddlers in TS3, but I don't love them, and if they'd be the only thing missing from TS4, I don't think I would care very much at all. I know there'd still be people who'd be very unhappy about that, and I do not on principle disagree with them either, but I wouldn't spend my time responding to these kinds of thread if that'd be all the game was missing. I'd be playing TS4 instead.

But what someone said about toddlers (or even CAW) being a symbol? Yeah, kind of. It's not that they're necessarily a symbol for what "the sims" is, but they're definitely a symbol for what's wrong with TS4: the fact that this is not a life simulation game, because it lacks - in nearly every area - the very complexity necessary to imitate life at all.

See when I complain about "what TS4 lacks in essential features", I actually rarely think of toddlers first, if at all. The thing that bugs me most about TS4 is its simplicity. The fact that it skips over an entire life stage, jumping from baby to a perfectly happy child whose traits I can always choose (regardless of how much time I spent with the baby) isn't the cause for this game's emptiness. It's a glaring symptom. Besides, this 'baby' isn't even a sim at all (that's why it has no needs & can't be carried around), It's an in-game object, pure and simple, and my sim can interact with it to produce simple in-game animations. Just like bird-feeding, really. Nothing more. It has no memories, no personality, and no actual needs. But when I speak of TS4 being an empty, unfinished game, I do not relate this to toddlers. That is where this simplicity problem sticks out to some. To others, it's tools like CAW. To me, it's mostly these three things: interactions, autonomous actions & emotions.

YES. YES. YES. This is the most spot on post I've read. I attempted to make similar points in my last post, but you said it better than I ever could. I agree that toddlers are symbolic for everything that's wrong with TS4; I just wish more players would say this explicitly so the Sims team would realize the REAL issue we all have with this game - the complexity that Sims gameplay once had is gone. The trait system is just one thing that drives me absolutely nuts. They shouldn't even really be considered traits because sims' personalities are indistinguishable. They're essentially just emotion enhancers. "Romantic" make sims flirty more often. "Squeamish" makes them uncomfortable. "Jealous" makes them tense ALL. THE. TIME. Traits, however, hardly do anything to guide their actions (other than, like you said, the kleptomaniac trait). Anyway, thank you for this post. I hope awareness of these root issues spreads among the community.
  • Options
    SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    edited August 2016
    LGR the best youtuber Let's player around - he tells it like it is with no chaser
    ETA no disrespect to any of the names named as potential influencers but if anyone tries to "influence" me to think in a way other than the way I think I'm walking the plank.
    Gag just the word "influence" in context with a computer game has an ominous tone to it.
  • Options
    lilacksblilacksb Posts: 440 Member
    edited August 2016
    faytheful wrote: »
    LGR the best youtuber Let's player around - he tells it like it is with no chaser
    ETA no disrespect to any of the names named as potential influencers but if anyone tries to "influence" me to think in a way other than the way I think I'm walking the plank.
    Gag just the word "influence" in context with a computer game has an ominous tone to it.

As a side note @faytheful is there a different meaning to ETA that I am not aware of?..
  • Options
    lilacksb wrote: »

As a side note @faytheful is there a different meaning to ETA that I am not aware of?..

I always took it to mean edited to add - am I mistaken ?
    bc that's what I did there I added that part after ETA & after publishing; just didn't put a space
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    It also can mean 'estimated time of arrival'. :D
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    lilacksblilacksb Posts: 440 Member
    edited August 2016

bc that's what I did there I added that part after ETA & after publishing; just didn't put a space

It means Estimated Time of Arrival
  • Options

It means Estimated Time of Arrival

oh okay lol
  • Options
    It also can mean 'estimated time of arrival'. :D

lol both of you got jokes today
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    @faytheful When I see it on a forum, I always assume it means 'edited to add'. But before I had much forum experience, and in the context of my job, it usually had the other meaning. :)
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    yea I said u guys had jokes bc I've heard it in the other context too :)
    but in the context of writing in a forum I've only heard it to mean edited to add unless
    there's something I don't know which is always possible. #openmind #learningeveryday

ETA o:) Police, EMT, & many other professions use it
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member

Sorry to ask, but what or who are these 'influencers' that some players are talking of lately?
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    carlymichellecarlymichelle Posts: 3,402 Member
    i have played the sims since sims 1 im 37 so i was a young adult when i started playing i have the sims 4 and its installed but i dont play it much because i play sims 3 i think people need to have an open mind with sims 4
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,361 Member

Sorry to ask, but what or who are these 'influencers' that some players are talking of lately?

Most of the popular Sims Youtubers. Deligracy, XURBANSIMSX, James Turner, Wee Albet, Curtis Paradis, The English Simmer, SIMSVIP, to name a few.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member

Most of the popular Sims Youtubers. Deligracy, XURBANSIMSX, James Turner, Wee Albet, Curtis Paradis, The English Simmer, SIMSVIP, to name a few.

Not just YouTubers, though. There's a bit more on it in this, just posted this aft: https://www.platinumsimmers.com/articles/the-sims-4-influencers-panel/
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options

Never heard of them...

Except for SimsVIP but I actually though that they where a fan site :no_mouth:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member

Not just YouTubers, though. There's a bit more on it in this, just posted this aft: https://www.platinumsimmers.com/articles/the-sims-4-influencers-panel/

OT: like your new av. :)
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2016
    yea I said u guys had jokes bc I've heard it in the other context too :)
    but in the context of writing in a forum I've only heard it to mean edited to add unless
    there's something I don't know which is always possible. #openmind #learningeveryday

ETA o:) Police, EMT, & many other professions use it

ETA in the Sims as HappySimmer 3 said means Edited to Add.

At one point in the forum if one wanted to edit a post they had to give a reason for the edit - so we had to add in an ETA. Some of us just do it out of habit even though it has been a long time since we had to actually need a reason to edit. LOL.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    MrHawk wrote: »
    The whole culture of "influencers" is rotten. Yes, it's good that some people like to create social channels or websites to support their favourite game. Unfortunately, human nature takes over with many and they soon become part of the machine, continuing the actions to serve their own ends. Because at the end of the day, they continue (not begin) to do it for the money.

One of these influencers is surprising in particular, considering the Sims 3 Store theft scandal from some years back. It's interesting that such a thing can be overlooked when mutual financial benefits are on the table. Anybody around long enough to remember that will know what I mean.

Maxis embraces influencers because it reduces their marketing bills. Simple as that. They can utilise the services of young, energy-rich people with a passion for their product at minimum cost to themselves, with the added effect of them allowing distance and deniability when the kaka hits the fan.

Imagine if one of the influencers was responsible for the "all life stages will be present in TS4" comment. We wouldn't have the huge furore it entailed when the promise wasn't fulfilled.

The REAL reason for the embracing of "influencers" is financial, and the beneficiary of the spoils is Maxis, pure and simple.

To @Sk8rblaze, thank you for the shout. It was nice to read. Unfortunately, the reason I and other people like me (and my website abandoned because Maxis totally killed any enthusiasm I have for the game over the past four years), would NEVER be included in any such thing is that we would refuse to be on a leash. The criticism would be direct and unrestrained. Only yes men get hired by these sorts of companies.

Look, if a company was to do their job correctly by providing an enjoyable product supported by adequate support, engagement and promotion, it would be embraced by people like me and others. I'm a big fan of other media. DC Comics and Scientific American Mind are two publications I have and will always support. Film directors like Wong Kar Wai and acto/rs/resses such as Julianne Moore, Masanobu Andô, Moritz Bleibtreu, Gael García Bernal, Hugh Dancy, Byung Hung Lee and Tom Hardy always get my dollars. Assassin's Creed, The Elder Scrolls, Shin Megami Tensei and Koei Tecmo series always get a pass. They know what they do, they do it well, and missteps are always rectified.

I only wish Maxis had the humility to do what Ubisoft has done with Assassin's Creed. Reign it in, take it off the market, reevaluate and reestablish, then aim for a relaunch truly worthy of the history it has built up.

It's tiring to have a company trying to decorate 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and bandaids with gold wrappings and pretty talking heads. It's transparently ugly.

I totally agree. Amen!
  • Options
    @MrHawk Excellent points! :smiley:

I myself don't know anything about the 'Store content scandal' and I don't want to know either.

But I agree with the influencers; It is good to have other 'players' on board but they are indeed part of a 'machine' or a 'system' if you like. These individuals, as decent as they might be are not players I know personally. They are very much part of The Sims community but they are not in my circles, they do not post here and they do not know me so they are just strangers who 'post stuff on Youtube' and they are not people I follow either as I as a rule, never really follow 'Lets plays' on Youtube unless requested by a friend from here.

My main interests with 'Simmers on Youtube' (I hate the term 'Youtuber') is for heir talents in making films such as I do. I do not want to here player's opinions on a game that I may or may not play.

Of course they might be a benefit for the company, and that is all very well. The influencers will be at no disadvantage either and so I see no harm in the situation but why can only a select number of players be influencers when in reality we all influence the game in one way or another and have done for the past 16 odd years.

Are us Simmers just 'commoners' who are not of real 'importance' no longer allowed to influence anything?

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited August 2016
    I know about the scandal. I am sure things were settled most likely under the table in a hidden fashion to benefit everyone involved.
  • Options
    agent_bevagent_bev Posts: 1,313 Member
    you will have to take a hard look at yourself and wonder if anything we do will ever truly make you happy

I'm a simple gal. I see toddlers, I'm happy.
  • Options
    cherparcherpar Posts: 2,092 Member
    @Rflong7 I would also watch - why- because I have no idea how to do it. That's the only YouTube videos I watch, where I can't do it myself. I generally don't watch lets plays, they are not my thing.

The influencer thing is not new or unique to sims 4 as others have said, but this is something that annoys the heck out of me in real life. I want people to think for themselves. Don't get my wrong l respect people's talent but that's different from following then pack or whatever it's called,
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top