Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Too Many Tragic Clowns??

Having learned my lesson from the "infamous" Patch of December 2014, with its attendant glitches, I now wait a few days or more before allowing a patch, especially one with additional content, to run, and this includes the April 21 patch. The friends I have in this forum with whom I exchange PMs, anyway, have told me that their game now spawns an abundance of "Tragic Clowns" in public places, (along the sidewalks, in the parks) and they even show up in partial clown garb "off duty" in bars and such.

Of course, "a couple friends" is too small a sample size for me to decide if I want this patch to run yet.

Since the presence of these blue-mood buffoons causes a "Very Sad" buff in all the Sims who get near them, I can see where this can adversely affect gameplay. I mean, why have my Sims go to parks, clubs and such if these things appear en masse and make them "Very Sad" throughout their outing? Might as well stay home and tend the garden!

Apologies, this is my usual long-winded way of asking, "Is anyone else getting too many "Tragic Clowns" in their games?" Or are these just isolated incidents I have heard about.

If so, anyone find a way to mitigate the effect of these creatures infesting the parks and sidewalk?

Comments

• Options
    loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,467 Member
    I've played the game every day since the patch and I've not seen a single Tragic Clown. Anywhere. Not in the parks, not on the street, not in venues... I wonder if your abundance of clowns is a glitch; or if my lack of them is...?
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    I haven't seen any clowns about town but when I purchased the painting and had my Sims view it one did show up at their house.

You might also want to know that the clown doesn't seem to be all that tragic this time around. When he appeared he didn't do a lot. He disrupted their normally mercurial moods to sadness for a bit, tried to juggle but when my Sims went on about their business he gave up and left....and he hasn't come back.

When people report that there are clowns all over the place I look at various causes like mods or other things people might have done to their game. There's also the way some things just happen. Every time there is a patch my game seems to pick up every new glitch that comes along and others never get them.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I've seen no clowns. My hoods are totally clown-free :) ... so far.
  • Options
    JellysimwichJellysimwich Posts: 778 Member
    I've played the game every day since the patch and I've not seen a single Tragic Clown. Anywhere. Not in the parks, not on the street, not in venues... I wonder if your abundance of clowns is a glitch; or if my lack of them is...?

I've not seen one, either.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Yeah I killed one and then another one tried to spawn
    screen_shot_2016_04_26_at_10_04_18_pm_by_mphattyboi-da1a3kg.png
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    Yeah I killed one and then another one tried to spawn

That's a very odd looking clown. Not what I've seen in my game.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    MikiMiki Posts: 1,692 Member
    edited May 2016
    @MasonGamer I clicked the Awesome box but that ain't enough!

You zapped a Clown Awesome!!
    I never liked clowns, back since Girls School (excluding the ones running the place: Heaven defined was when The Folks finally gave up on refining me and let me go to regular public school.) The biggest turn-off had to be plumming Bozo That thing gave me nightmares.

Anyway.. @loubyloulou I didn't think of mods. I don't have clownage in my game yet because I have not allowed the patch to run.. I was asking ahead of time because I am not inclined to spend time juggling clowns out of the parks and off the sidewalks. I'll ask those who told me about this if they run mods. I know MC Command Center, awesome though it is (IMHO) did change the name of the Growfruit Lady. (Who, by the way, is currently "working without a contract" because I have not loaded that patch that repo's her and gives us clowns.

@rosemow explained that to me. MC Command does have weird interactions with patches.

• Options
    @PHOEBESMOM601 I heard about these half-baked clowns from my PM Partners-- They appear in the clubs, libraries and such .. in partial attire supposedly to signify that they're "off duty".
  • Options
    loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,467 Member
    Hi @Miki, tagging @egwarhammer here (hope you don't mind!) as they have been great at explaining how the mod can put a stop to the clown (if that's what you want!). I do have the mod installed, but not the module that affects the clown's appearance (or lack thereof, if that's what you want :) ).
  • Options
    Miki wrote: »
    @PHOEBESMOM601 I heard about these half-baked clowns from my PM Partners-- They appear in the clubs, libraries and such .. in partial attire supposedly to signify that they're "off duty".

Somehow I just have a hard time believing that the "off duty" is a detail that was purposely coded into the game. :D I've found that depth of detail a little lacking.
  • Options
    Hi @Miki, tagging @egwarhammer here (hope you don't mind!) as they have been great at explaining how the mod can put a stop to the clown (if that's what you want!). I do have the mod installed, but not the module that affects the clown's appearance (or lack thereof, if that's what you want :) ).

Thank you! Please do! (feel free to tag anyone you think might help/know more.

I don't actually want to eliminate them completely, only reduce what has been reported as "overspawning".

Here's a friend's screenshot..

buffoons_zpsmrxbqbop.jpg

@PHOEBESMOM601 The off-duty conclusion came from their appearing half-costumed in the bars, clubs and maybe libraries, too. They go there after pestering Sims in parks and on the sidewalk to relax, unwind, and.. well.. can't get drunk in the Sims but they can dream, can't they?
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    It's my understanding the clowns you see walking around aren't the Tragic Clown but townies who decided to wear the outfit like the hotdog costume. I don't know why townies suddenly have to wear every new costume they add to the game.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    It's my understanding the clowns you see walking around aren't the Tragic Clown but townies who decided to wear the outfit like the hotdog costume. I don't know why townies suddenly have to wear every new costume they add to the game.

OK thanks.. Since the hot dog costume came in "additional purchased content" and I have purchased nothing yet-- ergo no hot-doggers in my game-- (only because I haven't seen any additional content I can use right now) -I won't have to worry about surplus clowns, either.

(But I wonder why they always act and look sad, and that rubs off on Sims near them, or so I have been told.)
  • Options
    Only one in that picture looks sad to me and then it may not be sad since they also do that when they are embarrassed, that walk with head down. So hard to tell from that screen shot what their emotions are.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    OK again, thanks. That screen shot was shared by one of the friends I mentioned at the top. She says that they are all sad, some try to juggle, and they all rub off "sad" buffs on any Sims near them.

I also wonder about the above screenshot from Masongamer with the female Sim with a clown head.

Weirdness.

But I think she ( the one whose multi-clown screenshot I posted above) might be running MC Command Center and that may be a part of the issue, until Deaderpool updates it.

I guess the best I can do is (not too soon but soon) let the patch run, let Jasmine Holiday go back
    to where she came from, and see what sort of wayward circus talent crops up (or not) in my game.

Likely different than most in here as I'm just running the base for the time being.

That'll change if they ever come up with Weather and/or Seasons.
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    I have not seen any clowns, in my home, library, parks, bars or anywhere. and I am happy about that. I do not want sims walking around in clown outfits, or any costumes. By the way I do not see any sims in hot dog outfits either and never have.
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    I haven't seen any clowns around in my latest play save. I've only ever seen one (in a different save) and that was because I summoned him by looking at the painting. So, if there are lots of clowns spawning in your game, then that is probably a bug.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    Just to add I haven't seen any either. But to be fair I started a new game to test the patch and not many Sims living anywhere in my Newcrest hood. I think it takes awhile for the game to start filling houses and creating townies. I may go back to that one (but it was for test purposes about some other things) and see if I get clowns. I didn't see any in my real game, either the other day. ..but my Sims only went to a bar or café and not a retail or park lot.
  • Options
    bythedreadwolfbythedreadwolf Posts: 832 Member
    Aren't clowns supposed to only spawn if you have the painting and if you have your sims look at it? Or are they meant to spawn on community lots too when someone is sad? Because if yes, that can be annoying real quick. But it might be a bug, kind of like the grim reaper showing up randomly at the gym or retail stores, I don't think that is meant to happen. Or is it? lol
  • Options
    Some of this was due to a mod in another thread and some say if you visit retail lots the show up. I have no idea I have yet to see any, and haven't had time to test the painting. I assume it works. But I was busy testing other stuff and building and dealing with Origin glitches, too, but the other thread is due to the MC mod. Not sure how that all turned out.
  • Options
    Inna MinnitInna Minnit Posts: 2,008 Member
    I haven't seen one fully dressed clown yet. Yhere is one random townie who shows up at retail lots. She only wears the clown hair and cries a lot. I ask her to leave and she cries some more.
  • Options
    ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    I haven't seen one yet. I have played the game for a good few hours since the patch too.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    Aren't clowns supposed to only spawn if you have the painting and if you have your sims look at it? Or are they meant to spawn on community lots too when someone is sad? Because if yes, that can be annoying real quick. But it might be a bug, kind of like the grim reaper showing up randomly at the gym or retail stores, I don't think that is meant to happen. Or is it? lol

I think the reaper is meant to show up "off duty" in a nightclub or two. He began showing up in the Blues bar, along with a premade ghost (meaning she was already dead from the get-go and not a townie who keeled over right when I started up the game) and at a beautiful lounge I imported from the gallery in Oasis Springs (after bulldozing that world's museum) He'd show up dance, flirt occasionally and then raise his hand and vanish in a big puff of smoke within 2 game hours or so. Definitely before 4AM in-game. But not every night.

I did read the patch notes and I remember the painting being available but not any actual clownage. I admit, I skimmed it because they are written with a bit too heavy a helping of "silly" (speaking only for myself) I'm nut much for yucks and giggles.

I'llhave to have another look.
  • Options
    StilleWaterStilleWater Posts: 1,566 Member
    I have MODs and I haven't seen any clowns. I go to all sorts of venues, jog in different worlds and no clowns have walked by yet, glad, they say the sad clown pic is the key...even if put in sims houses that you don't play. But once Pandora is out...MODs will have to put back
    7FXGVZ1.jpg?1
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    One is too many. I really want someone to post a screenshot of a sim freezing him with the ray-gun-freeze-thingy!
    Gallery ID: babysquare