Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Calling all Sim Parents!

I was interested to see how many of you have kids and how you make playing Sims work. My husband and I are big gamers (360, one, ps3, ps4, wiiU, mac and pc) and lately have been finding it hard to game as our daughter gets older. Although we are very much looking forward to when she can game with us (Hubby is especially excited for Minecraft with her).

Back to my initial question: How/when do you find time?

Comments

• Options
    HannieHannie Posts: 608 Member
    edited March 2016
    We have a one year old, and we are both big gamers too. We play when she sleeps, but we have to divide it a bit I guess. Sometimes I only play COD, sometimes I only play sims and some times I want to play both but then I can't play each game for very long. I guess that's just how it is when you have kids :D And it will be even harder to play the older she get's, thinking she'll go to bed later than now.
  • Options
    tayloremxxtayloremxx Posts: 543 Member
    Hannie wrote: »
    I have a one year old, and we are both big gamers too. We play when she sleep, but we have to divide it a bit I guess. Sometimes I only play COD, sometimes I only play sims and some times I want to play both but then I can't play each game for very long. I guess that's just how it is when you have kids :D And it will be even harder to play the older she get's, thinking she'll go to bed later than now.

I also have a one year old! One day she'll be old and won't need us and then how will we feel LOL. I hear ya on the multiple games thing too. So hard to decide when you only have a couple hours!

• Options
    HannieHannie Posts: 608 Member
    tayloremxx wrote: »
    Hannie wrote: »
    I have a one year old, and we are both big gamers too. We play when she sleep, but we have to divide it a bit I guess. Sometimes I only play COD, sometimes I only play sims and some times I want to play both but then I can't play each game for very long. I guess that's just how it is when you have kids :D And it will be even harder to play the older she get's, thinking she'll go to bed later than now.

I also have a one year old! One day she'll be old and won't need us and then how will we feel LOL. I hear ya on the multiple games thing too. So hard to decide when you only have a couple hours!

Yep, it's a tough decision! Sometimes her grandparents borrows her a day on weekends though, and we either sleep or play the whole day. :D
  • Options
    sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,405 Member
    When my kids were young, I was a stay at home mom so hubby would take the kids after dinner for an hour or two to give me a break and so I could play if I wanted. Then after the kids were in bed, he would get his play time and I would usually sit with him so we could have our time as well.

Now that they're all teens, I don't really have time during the week with what they have going on and work. But on weekends I can usually get some good play time in if we don't have anything going on.
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,581 Member
    I'm fortunate in that I didn't even get 'into' gaming until my children were grown. Although, lately, since last October, I've been babysitting my little grandson who is currently in morning Kindergarten. Since his father is my youngest, it's been nearly 23 years since I had to shuttle anyone back and forth to kindergarten. We lived within walking distance of the school when my kids were growing up. Now, I'm driving the five minutes it takes. But, Monday through Thursday he goes from 8:40 AM to 11:40 AM. Fridays, is a short day, so he gets out of school at 10:40 AM. Really shreds a morning. I'm lucky to be able to get through all of my emails. Then I like to chill over here for a bit, because, frankly, there's not enough time to power up the game and play in between. But, I'm finding little moments here and there, mostly on Saturdays. So frustrating. I swear my Legacy Challenge would be complete were I to have more gaming time. I would very much like to go 'back into retirement'. But, there you have it. I'm used to getting my first load of laundry started at around 6 AM when I first get up. Now, I find myself putting it off a bit. Sometimes, I'll start a load in the interim, other times I wait until he's home for the day. Oh, and did I mention helping him with his homework! Common Core is a Crock! Yes, kindergartners are learning math, too. :open_mouth:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    PeachyKeen88PeachyKeen88 Posts: 652 Member
    Interesting conversation! I don't have kids (yet) but often think that my simming days will be over once I do. Nice to see how you all manage to get a little game time in even with the kiddos. One of my coworkers bought a portable PlayStation that he brings to work everyday so he can game on his lunch break lol.
  • Options
    imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    I play for an hour a night, after kids go to sleep. But when they were one years old, my play was not on a regular schedule. Play when you can here and there. You have to wait a couple years. You'll have more energy, they sleep through night, etc.

Congrats on your family!
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    Our children are somewhat older (8, 15, 22), but we're a house of gamers. We have five computers all within a 15 feet radius of one another. My daughter's PC is directly beside mine (great for talking and sharing gaming fun), my husbands and 2 sons are on the other side of my monitors (so I guess behind my computer?) We can all talk while on our computers. And since our computers are all in the living room (mine and daughters) and dining room (hubby and sons), we have the PS3, PS4, and Wii all connected in the living room, it makes it easy to stay connected to each other and be involved in what is going on.

We're a family of gamers. We still have family time, but we do our own thing, too, and never feel cut off or removed from the family, as we can all just look to our side or over our monitors to speak with any other member of the family.

Before my daughter got her own computer two and a half years ago, it was a little more difficult to find gaming time (when she wasn't in the mood to play the PS3 or Wii).
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    All these people talking about how their children prevent them from gaming and I'm just sitting here like "kay I'll only have sim children"

I plan on raising my children as gamers if this is related, I don't have any yet though.

I've decided to introduce them to classics like snes and sims 1 first and then work our way up."hey son the scientists just created the gameboy advance!" :D
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    When my kids were young, I was a stay at home mom so hubby would take the kids after dinner for an hour or two to give me a break and so I could play if I wanted. Then after the kids were in bed, he would get his play time and I would usually sit with him so we could have our time as well.

Now that they're all teens, I don't really have time during the week with what they have going on and work. But on weekends I can usually get some good play time in if we don't have anything going on.

Love that! Hubby and I currently have seperate set-ups (his is living room, mine is our bedroom) so we often play online together and just use game chat. We're lucky with a daughter who has slept through the night since VERY early! Glad you can now get some decent gaming time in!
    I'm fortunate in that I didn't even get 'into' gaming until my children were grown. Although, lately, since last October, I've been babysitting my little grandson who is currently in morning Kindergarten. Since his father is my youngest, it's been nearly 23 years since I had to shuttle anyone back and forth to kindergarten. We lived within walking distance of the school when my kids were growing up. Now, I'm driving the five minutes it takes. But, Monday through Thursday he goes from 8:40 AM to 11:40 AM. Fridays, is a short day, so he gets out of school at 10:40 AM. Really shreds a morning. I'm lucky to be able to get through all of my emails. Then I like to chill over here for a bit, because, frankly, there's not enough time to power up the game and play in between. But, I'm finding little moments here and there, mostly on Saturdays. So frustrating. I swear my Legacy Challenge would be complete were I to have more gaming time. I would very much like to go 'back into retirement'. But, there you have it. I'm used to getting my first load of laundry started at around 6 AM when I first get up. Now, I find myself putting it off a bit. Sometimes, I'll start a load in the interim, other times I wait until he's home for the day. Oh, and did I mention helping him with his homework! Common Core is a Crock! Yes, kindergartners are learning math, too. :open_mouth:

Aww so sweet! I'm lucky in the sense that my daughter and youngest sister are the same age, so they often get to play together on the weekend which is SO fun to see! I won't have grandbabies for a long time, but I am definitely excited for that!

Interesting conversation! I don't have kids (yet) but often think that my simming days will be over once I do. Nice to see how you all manage to get a little game time in even with the kiddos. One of my coworkers bought a portable PlayStation that he brings to work everyday so he can game on his lunch break lol.

Sounds like my hubby lol. I definitely did not want my hobbies pre kids to be over once our daughter was here! Her name is Anakin so we're hoping she's some sort of gamer/nerd/geek etc. Lol. Just to humor us, she'll probably hate it all haha!
    imhappy wrote: »
    I play for an hour a night, after kids go to sleep. But when they were one years old, my play was not on a regular schedule. Play when you can here and there. You have to wait a couple years. You'll have more energy, they sleep through night, etc.

Congrats on your family!

Thank you so much :smile:
    ChelleJo wrote: »
    Our children are somewhat older (8, 15, 22), but we're a house of gamers. We have five computers all within a 15 feet radius of one another. My daughter's PC is directly beside mine (great for talking and sharing gaming fun), my husbands and 2 sons are on the other side of my monitors (so I guess behind my computer?) We can all talk while on our computers. And since our computers are all in the living room (mine and daughters) and dining room (hubby and sons), we have the PS3, PS4, and Wii all connected in the living room, it makes it easy to stay connected to each other and be involved in what is going on.

We're a family of gamers. We still have family time, but we do our own thing, too, and never feel cut off or removed from the family, as we can all just look to our side or over our monitors to speak with any other member of the family.

Before my daughter got her own computer two and a half years ago, it was a little more difficult to find gaming time (when she wasn't in the mood to play the PS3 or Wii).

Absolutely LOVE this! When we build we will be adding in a gaming room. Sort of like an office, but more for all of us to be able to game (wether PC or console) together. Gaming is a huge part of our lives, so I'm happy to hear someone else feels the same way as me (which is why I made this thread LOL).
    All these people talking about how their children prevent them from gaming and I'm just sitting here like "kay I'll only have sim children"

I plan on raising my children as gamers if this is related, I don't have any yet though.

I've decided to introduce them to classics like snes and sims 1 first and then work our way up."hey son the scientists just created the gameboy advance!" :D

Always related! I HOPE my daughter is a gamer one day! We're hoping for Minecraft first, cause thats endlessly entertaining!
  • Options
    lovlyblovlyb Posts: 968 Member
    Well our kids now are older(17&18), but we are gamers. Love our game Xbox One, Xbox 360 kinect, and pc games, we find time to game together especially weekends, we have a game night. Its nice to know other parents play and nice thread thanks.
  • Options
    policeofficerswifepoliceofficerswife Posts: 347 Member
    Wow this thread is awesome!!
    Hubby and I don't have little ones yet but when we do it's nice to see that we would both still have time to play games! :)
  • Options
    Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    I don't have kids, but my dad was (and still is) a big gamer. He always let me watch while he played. That's probably why I like LPs so much.
  • Options
    ErinErin Posts: 641 Member
    I live with my boyfriend and he has a daughter that we have usually from Sunday - Tuesday morning. We don't play any of our games (me Sims, him Xbox) when she's here because we only get that little bit of time with her.
    I don't mind giving up a few days to see her!
    670?cb=20130818204250
    "Because now it's the fans out there that are entertaining us, the developers, with their creations!" - Will Wright
  • Options
    brackencat31brackencat31 Posts: 318 Member
    I ve got 3 kids, a 1 yr old, a 3 yr old and an 8 yr old. I m a stay at home mum and I don't get a lot of time to play sims but I do manage to make some time each week. Usually I put the sims on when the youngest are in bed and play in the living room on my laptop whilst I chat with my husband. We ve been together for 17 years, he does nt like computer games at all but he understands I love the sims so he s happy to put up with it.
  • Options
    lovlyb wrote: »
    Well our kids now are older(17&18), but we are gamers. Love our game Xbox One, Xbox 360 kinect, and pc games, we find time to game together especially weekends, we have a game night. Its nice to know other parents play and nice thread thanks.

Gaming together is the best isn't it???
    Wow this thread is awesome!!
    Hubby and I don't have little ones yet but when we do it's nice to see that we would both still have time to play games! :)

Heck ya you will! I think it's brought us closer together in regards to how awesome it will be if she wants to play with us one day!
    Anemone7 wrote: »
    I don't have kids, but my dad was (and still is) a big gamer. He always let me watch while he played. That's probably why I like LPs so much.

Love it! My mom was a big gamer too! She always let me watch and occasionally I'd sneak in the living room and watch (especially Resident Evil Nemesis... one of my all time favorites).
    Erin wrote: »
    I live with my boyfriend and he has a daughter that we have usually from Sunday - Tuesday morning. We don't play any of our games (me Sims, him Xbox) when she's here because we only get that little bit of time with her.
    I don't mind giving up a few days to see her!

Aww, so sweet! If I only had my daughter a few days a week I would do the same! Love your sig!

I ve got 3 kids, a 1 yr old, a 3 yr old and an 8 yr old. I m a stay at home mum and I don't get a lot of time to play sims but I do manage to make some time each week. Usually I put the sims on when the youngest are in bed and play in the living room on my laptop whilst I chat with my husband. We ve been together for 17 years, he does nt like computer games at all but he understands I love the sims so he s happy to put up with it.

What an awesome hubby!!! Also.. what is your secret to 17 years?! Hubby and I are at 5!
  • Options
    RoboSpongieRoboSpongie Posts: 1,042 Member
    I'm not old enough yet but my parents find Sims fun and weird
    = Sims Player for 17+ Years =
    tumblr_inline_nsj7xjgkAi1rrkf1x_500.gif
  • Options
    blondiebabe923blondiebabe923 Posts: 202 Member
    I have 2 children ages 4 and 7. We are a family of gamers. We have an Xbox one, ps4, wii u, and 2 laptops. My 7 yo loves to play on the wii u and Xbox one as much as I will allow for gaming time. I usually get to play mostly on Sunday's when we don't have running around to do because my daughter and son will play together on the wii u. I would play on the days my daughter goes to preschool but I use that two hours to catch up on my shows from the week and fold laundry and drink coffee in the comfort of silence. We do have family game nights which include playing video games, board games, card games etc.
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    We're a family of gamers. Our kids are 9 and 5. Their bedtime is 7:30pm and we usually play grown up games after that time. But our kids play Lego games or infinity when they have time. I will usually take an hour or 2 per night to play a sims game.
  • Options
    Emmy_SimsEmmy_Sims Posts: 324 Member
    This thread is great! I've always asked myself how people with young kids manage to play games. When I was an only child mom used to play sims sometimes, but she has never been much of a gamer. Now that she has two little itty bitties (one is almost 2 years old and the other had just completed 6 months) and a very demanding job she hardly has time for herself, and this is my reference of a life when you have children :D

If I ever decide to marry (or live together) and have children, I hope to have a gamer family like some simmers here have. This is so cool ❤
    I never thought about showing my games to my potential future children, only the cartoons and music I grew up with. This is a nice idea.
    Jar Jar Binks is a Sith Lord
  • Options
    I have 2 children ages 4 and 7. We are a family of gamers. We have an Xbox one, ps4, wii u, and 2 laptops. My 7 yo loves to play on the wii u and Xbox one as much as I will allow for gaming time. I usually get to play mostly on Sunday's when we don't have running around to do because my daughter and son will play together on the wii u. I would play on the days my daughter goes to preschool but I use that two hours to catch up on my shows from the week and fold laundry and drink coffee in the comfort of silence. We do have family game nights which include playing video games, board games, card games etc.

I hear ya! Although I'm over laundry ;)
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    We're a family of gamers. Our kids are 9 and 5. Their bedtime is 7:30pm and we usually play grown up games after that time. But our kids play Lego games or infinity when they have time. I will usually take an hour or 2 per night to play a sims game.

Sounds like our schedule/life too! We play after Anakin goes to bed! :smile:
    Emmy_Sims wrote: »
    This thread is great! I've always asked myself how people with young kids manage to play games. When I was an only child mom used to play sims sometimes, but she has never been much of a gamer. Now that she has two little itty bitties (one is almost 2 years old and the other had just completed 6 months) and a very demanding job she hardly has time for herself, and this is my reference of a life when you have children :D

If I ever decide to marry (or live together) and have children, I hope to have a gamer family like some simmers here have. This is so cool ❤
    I never thought about showing my games to my potential future children, only the cartoons and music I grew up with. This is a nice idea.

I'm so glad others are getting something out of this thread! I was SO worried before she was born that I wouldn't be able to continue... but I guess when your hobbies are this important, you'll make time!
  • Options
    gmomasuegmomasue Posts: 648 Member
    edited March 2016
    All my kids are adults but my grandkids play when they come over . The oldest grandkid is 14 year old then ones 13year old and I have 10 year old grandkid that like to play with me .
  • Options
    ChloeDeCookieChloeDeCookie Posts: 2,467 Member
    well i have just became a teen so i have all the time in the world when not at school or doing homework. none of my family game
    To all you beautiful people out there, have a lovely day.
  • Options
    belpitabelpita Posts: 1,445 Member
    edited March 2016
    My child is 7 and plays Minecraft, among other things.
    So basically, we game in parallel. :#
    We used to play Skylanders and Plants vs. Zombies. together before.
  • Options
    PlumbobCrossingPlumbobCrossing Posts: 8,455 Member
    I don't have kids but I am an aunt.. Luckily my nephew is my gaming buddy.. :p