Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Family Tree Ruined!

I know this has been said before because I remember reading about it ages ago! But honestly!! I am actually considering deleting my game and going back to Sims 3 indefinitely! So glad I haven't brought any expansions yet!

I get that they need to save space or whatever for new Sims, but surely the links on the family trees should remain! For example, my grandmother has vanished from my tree so it now says her children are half brother and sister! So surely that means when the grandfather vanishes that they won't be related at all!? How can you play legacies and have lovely big families if they become unrelated halfway through!?

It has actually really ruined it for me! I can't see me playing until it is fixed.. So please fix it! Even if I have to start from scratch, I can't continue as it is!
Gallery name: Anna-Banna

Comments

• Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,598 Member
    Hello.
    It is due to the game limiting the amount of sims in the game to 180 sims, then it culls them. To prevent this happening, you can install the No More Culling mod
    http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=545615
    To recover an earlier version of your family tree history you can try rolling back to an earlier version of your game file before the family tree was changed.
    These are links to how to roll back your save to an earlier version. I am posting two in case you find one easier to follow than the other.
    https://enkeli63.wordpress.com/2014/09/30/sims-4-saved-game-back-up-recovery/
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/783120/how-to-roll-back-your-save/p1
    Install the mod first, then roll back the save.
  • Options
    Cherryrose_xCherryrose_x Posts: 524 Member
    I had heard about this mod, is it safe? I'm always a little concerned about random downloads. (Had bad experience with downloads on an older PC..)

Also, why can EA never fix their own problems! It always comes down to some awesome player that looks after us better than the company!
  • Options
    Ok, I'll give it a go. Thank you.
  • Options
    egwarhammeregwarhammer Posts: 5,752 Member
    I know this has been said before because I remember reading about it ages ago! But honestly!! I am actually considering deleting my game and going back to Sims 3 indefinitely! So glad I haven't brought any expansions yet!

I get that they need to save space or whatever for new Sims, but surely the links on the family trees should remain! For example, my grandmother has vanished from my tree so it now says her children are half brother and sister! So surely that means when the grandfather vanishes that they won't be related at all!? How can you play legacies and have lovely big families if they become unrelated halfway through!?

It has actually really ruined it for me! I can't see me playing until it is fixed.. So please fix it! Even if I have to start from scratch, I can't continue as it is!

Rosemow's advice to install No Culling is an excellent idea. It's easy, download/copy/paste into your /Mods folder... It's a script file so you don't even have to extract it. Just grab and go.

What I bolded, we ALL need to be shouting FIX THIS!!!!!!!!!! from the rooftops, in EA's direction. That is RIDICULOUS!!!

Until they do get around to fixing the bugs they've given our game... (I'm not holding my breath while I wait/hope)... I downloaded MC Command Center to deal with a lot of things EA's code ... um... isn't doing very well.

It's a big mod, but there's only ONE file you unzip, the rest of the modules (you pick what you want to install) are all like no culling, drop in zipped and go.

Since you're going over to MTS after No Culling anyway... how about giving MC a look too? Both links are in my sig file.
  • Options
    ambrownambrown Posts: 804 Member
    ugh i didn't know it makes the kids un-related, they need to FIX the game!!!!
    i do not want to use mods so this sucks grrr
    you're ele-phantastic
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I didn't either. It sucks big style! I've given in and downloaded the NoCull mod, never had a mod before. I've restarted my game too so will be awhile till I can see if it works, but I'm guessing it does as its what has been recommended.

And thank you egwarhammer. I think I will go have a look at that as well.
  • Options
    LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    I downloaded it and placed into the mods folder. Is that all I needed to do?
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Options

For the Nocull mod? You put the zipped file into mods. Then have to go into game settings on sims 4 and make sure 'script mods' is checked. Took me awhile to figure it out but I think it worked because when I reloaded it I had a message come up warning me about the mod.

Hope that helps. :)
  • Options
    Yeah, No Culling is a script mod, @Cherryrose beat me to posting what to do with that.

MC Command Center is a little more complicated than "grab and go" because there's the main (engine) part which DOES NEED unzipped, it will contain both a package and a script file. But as far as the modules (pregnancy, population, etc etc)... those parts you also just download and copy into your Mods folder.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/837115/need-help-with-mc-command-center-settings-ask-here/p6

About 2/3 of the way down the page (6), there's a screenshot of my mods folder.

And a little below that, a copy of my mc_settings.cfg file's info, just as a point of reference.

Let me know if I can help.
  • Options

For the Nocull mod? You put the zipped file into mods. Then have to go into game settings on sims 4 and make sure 'script mods' is checked. Took me awhile to figure it out but I think it worked because when I reloaded it I had a message come up warning me about the mod.

Hope that helps. :)

There's one more (I know, right? LOL!) mod that might give you a quick clue on whether No Culling is working or not... mgomez's (old/unsupported but still works fine... just reporting a number) getpopulation (another script mod).

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=535402

Long as it works, it beats counting noses in the bins!! Seriously. Why would they not add a population count function into a town life game? Tsk!

If your total number is and stays over 180... the no culling mod is good. With the mod installed and while you're on either a home or communit lot (won't work from map/manage households view), from the ctrl-shift-c cheat bar, type in getpopulation and it returns the number of sims in your game.

I've never had any sims culled... I refuse to let it happen, and forewarned is definitely forearmed, in this case. But if you have, you'll see a difference in the number of sims reported, and the (smaller) number of folks actually running around in your game.

MC Command Center has ways to fix that... ghost cleanup, setting a maximum number of homeless households (protip: that number is a little fluid, but it DOES slow townie generation waaaaaaaaaay down), oh, just a LOT of really nice stuff.

I always recommend saving often, AND saving extra copies (save as, New Game Name) when we all know there's new content about to come down.

I'm super paranoid, but I also don't lose much data. :smile:

We won't talk about the insanely huge number of times I've gotten a wild hair and started a fresh 'hood from scratch... doing that by choice is one thing, having the game take things away from me is a WHOLE different thing, and that, I won't have, as much as I can keep it from happening, anyway. (an ongoing struggle...)
  • Options
    sarahb5500sarahb5500 Posts: 26 New Member
    I had this same thing happen to me last night but my sims parents died around the same time so her and her brother stopped being siblings and started flirting with each other. I'm also annoyed that even though my sim was family oriented and had maxed out relationships with both parents she didnt even get notified when her parents died let alone have any reaction at all to their passing.

Legacy/family players are already getting a slap to the face with the lack of toddlers, half 🐸🐸🐸🐸 babies, lack of family related content, and half 🐸🐸🐸🐸 teens. Now we can't even make due with what we have without the families becoming unrelated, forming romantic relationships with each other, and ancestors disappearing off the family tree.

I am so nervous to step into the land of mods because when anything breaks on the sims the first question is always "do you have any mods or cc" I've never used either for fear it would break my game. I like being able to say I play a completely vanilla game but I might have to suck it up and jump into mod land if this doesnt get fixed soon. I just want a big family tree and a close knit family that knows theyre a family!
  • Options
    Alyssasimmer15Alyssasimmer15 Posts: 79 Member
    What I usually do is keep a notebook with me, and write down the names of the parent sims, the kid sims, the grandparent sims, etc. So that way I can keep a good record of everything. This is my first time playing the Sims on a PC, (I played Sims 3 Pets for years on my PS3) and when I saw that my old family tree members were just blank icons, I was lucky I had my notebook on me so I could write down my family's legacy; of what I remembered of course. I would try this,(because when is EA ever going to fix this?) at least you'll have a written record of your family's legacy.
    follow me on instagram: alyssa.byrd <3

~The Gulledge Family Tree~
    Alyssa Gulledge
    Bryce Gulledge
    Delilah Gulledge
    Matthew Gulledge
    Toby Gulledge
  • Options
    sarahb5500 wrote: »
    I had this same thing happen to me last night but my sims parents died around the same time so her and her brother stopped being siblings and started flirting with each other. I'm also annoyed that even though my sim was family oriented and had maxed out relationships with both parents she didnt even get notified when her parents died let alone have any reaction at all to their passing.

Legacy/family players are already getting a slap to the face with the lack of toddlers, half 🐸🐸🐸🐸 babies, lack of family related content, and half 🐸🐸🐸🐸 teens. Now we can't even make due with what we have without the families becoming unrelated, forming romantic relationships with each other, and ancestors disappearing off the family tree.

I am so nervous to step into the land of mods because when anything breaks on the sims the first question is always "do you have any mods or cc" I've never used either for fear it would break my game. I like being able to say I play a completely vanilla game but I might have to suck it up and jump into mod land if this doesnt get fixed soon. I just want a big family tree and a close knit family that knows theyre a family!

Game's broken enough already, SOP for EA products. I use mods to fix that. If you start with MC Command center, there are a lot of other mods out there you WON'T need. It has options for a LOT of things.

I tried to play this game unmodded. I DID play Sims3 unmodded... who's out there shuddering right now? LOL! But this one... I just can't do it. Not in its current state... maybe once it's fuller/makes more SENSE, but right now, no.

I wish past bugs > future content on their list, but I have the feeling this is not the way that's going to turn out. Sims4 is not my first EA rodeo.

They've known about the careers bug since April, and the incest bug waaaaaaaaaaay longer than that. In April gurus acknowledged careers not working properly... but nothing to fix that has come down yet.

They did take one stab at the incest issue... but it's still coming up, so apparently what they tried there missed the mark.

MC deals with both issues. And more. Deaderpool is awesome... brilliant AND friendly/helpful.

I've got a help thread going, and links in my sig to several helpful mods/sites. Jump in... you'll love it once you see what all it can do... and if you need help, find me! I'll do my best.

(Sometimes my "best" is sending you to MTS to read docs... but some things I can save you some time/effort on, too. Just a heads up that I love MC, but I'm no expert!)

BTW, we don't (well, I don't) ask if you have mods/cc to make you feel bad about having/needing/wanting mods/cc.

We ask that because we're not new here, we've been through some STUFF getting this game to work for us, and knowing what's in your Sims4 and Mods folders are great starting points for us to try to nail down issues.

I don't like issues. Bring me yours and I will try to kill them for you. :) That kinda thing.

• Options
    What I usually do is keep a notebook with me, and write down the names of the parent sims, the kid sims, the grandparent sims, etc. So that way I can keep a good record of everything. This is my first time playing the Sims on a PC, (I played Sims 3 Pets for years on my PS3) and when I saw that my old family tree members were just blank icons, I was lucky I had my notebook on me so I could write down my family's legacy; of what I remembered of course. I would try this,(because when is EA ever going to fix this?) at least you'll have a written record of your family's legacy.

Notepad++ is my new best friend for keeping track of game info. I haven't used regular notepad since I found ++. Or much real paper, either. Save a tree! LOL

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v6.7.4.html
  • Options
    @sarahb5500 I was really unsure about mods too, never touched one in my life for the same reason. I didn't feel like I had a choice with this one though. It's such a game destroying issue in my opinion... I'm tempted by the one that counts the population now as well, as like a backup.

Thank you for all the advice @egwarhammer. I may have to have a better look at the MC command too. The idea of having the rest of the family run their own lives and actually have children sounds amazing! It says you don't have to download all the components to that one either, as long as you have the main part and then any categories that you may want also? Is that correct?
  • Options
    @sarahb5500 I was really unsure about mods too, never touched one in my life for the same reason. I didn't feel like I had a choice with this one though. It's such a game destroying issue in my opinion... I'm tempted by the one that counts the population now as well, as like a backup.

Thank you for all the advice @egwarhammer. I may have to have a better look at the MC command too. The idea of having the rest of the family run their own lives and actually have children sounds amazing! It says you don't have to download all the components to that one either, as long as you have the main part and then any categories that you may want also? Is that correct?

Yeah, you're right... here's the info from the mod's pages:

McCmdCenter This is the main module. It is needed for anything else to work. It has a few "cheat"-type commands built-in, but does very little by itself otherwise.

That's ^^ the one you have to have to make any of it work, and it's the only one you have to unzip/extract the 2 files out of and put into your Mods folder. Any of these parts below are optional, and are all just download, copy, paste to Mods and you're done... except for configuring it. But yeah, installing it is this easy.

McCmdCenter_dresser This module allows configuration of black and white lists for specific outfit items. This allows greater control of what Sims will be wearing and methods to run to "clean-up" Sims that are not wearing desired clothing items.

McCmdCenter_pregnancy This module creates a basic story progression of neighborhood Sims in that they can get married and have children as they age-up without direct user control.

McCmdCenter_population This module simulates other basic story progression of moving homeless Sims into households. It has some other moving-in/moving-out type options included as well.

McCmdCenter_cleaner This module handles some basic cleaning-the-game options. Getting rid of homeless ghosts, setting some default makeups on Sims as they age-up...that sort of thing.

McCmdCenter_career This module handles career-based functionality.
  • Options
    FizzstixFizzstix Posts: 990 Member
    I have the noculling mod. I had to install it because on a daily basis, my known sims and friends of my sims were disappearing. I wasn't able to complete the friends of the world aspiration without it. Kind of hard to have 20 friends when they keep disappearing. I also have an issue with my played sims getting jobs when they are not the active household. It was suggested to get this MC Commander Center mod, but I haven't done that yet, because it sounds so confusing.
  • Options
    MsPhyMsPhy Posts: 5,055 Member
    edited June 2015
    Fizzstix wrote: »
    I have the noculling mod. I had to install it because on a daily basis, my known sims and friends of my sims were disappearing. I wasn't able to complete the friends of the world aspiration without it. Kind of hard to have 20 friends when they keep disappearing. I also have an issue with my played sims getting jobs when they are not the active household. It was suggested to get this MC Commander Center mod, but I haven't done that yet, because it sounds so confusing.

If you want to try the MC Command Center, @egwarhammer has a great help thread going:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/837115/need-help-with-mc-command-center-settings-ask-here/p1

It's a really great mod.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    MsPhy wrote: »

If you want to try the MC Command Center, @egwarhammer has a great help thread going:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/837115/need-help-with-mc-command-center-settings-ask-here/p1

It's a really great mod.

Thanks for the catch, @MsPhy !! @Fizzstix I know MC LOOKS confusing, but it really isn't that hard to install.

(edit: Deaderpool's cleaned up the instructions... based on user comments on the mod pages... it's a LOT easier to figure out now than it was, not long ago. If anybody was put off by what was up before... look again?)

Download the "engine file" (the main module) and any other pieces you want, extract 2 files (package and script) from the main module, put in Mods folder. Pick extra pieces (pregnancy, population, careers, dresser, cleaner), download, COPY each zipped file to Mods, and poof, install is done!

Configuration is what takes more work... as MsPhy mentioned, I have a thread for that. Come see us, I've put up tons of stuff already, but if you have any questions... ask!!!

Love to help anybody who wants to check MC out, get it going.

Link MsPhy shared is to page one, thread has 6 pages already :blush: Here's one that will take you to the latest post, if you'd rather start with new stuff and go backwards.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/837115/need-help-with-mc-command-center-settings-ask-here#latest

I've had MC since 1.0.5 and I'm so glad I finally grabbed it... major positive gamechanging mod, all around! I feel silly for waiting so long to look at it. 1.0.7 is the current version... MTS support for it in comments starts on page 66 post 1640. He updated the careers module a 2nd time (bugfix), I think that info is in post 1700.

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=551680 MC Command Center main page

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=551680&c=1&ht=0&page=66&pp=25#startcomments

(MTS search is weird... if you don't land close to where you want with the second link, try the first one and jump to the page you want.)
    Post edited by egwarhammer on
  • Options
    SimmaSimma Posts: 65 Member
    What about typing in the cheat box CAS.fulleditmode to make them siblings again? You can edit their relationships if they live together, but I'm not sure what happens when they move out yet. PS after you type the cheat, you click a dresser and hit plan outfits. Shift clicking a Sim doesn't work.
  • Options
    LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    > @Simma said:
    > What about typing in the cheat box CAS.fulleditmode to make them siblings again? You can edit their relationships if they live together, but I'm not sure what happens when they move out yet. PS after you type the cheat, you click a dresser and hit plan outfits. Shift clicking a Sim doesn't work.

Saved for future reference.

Can I get a clear guide on how to download this and place it properly? I read that you want the .zip file in the mods folder but when you download all you get is the .pyc file. I don't know how to do this :'c

These game issues are starting to get overwhelming.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Options
    > @Simma said:
    > What about typing in the cheat box CAS.fulleditmode to make them siblings again? You can edit their relationships if they live together, but I'm not sure what happens when they move out yet. PS after you type the cheat, you click a dresser and hit plan outfits. Shift clicking a Sim doesn't work.

Saved for future reference.

Can I get a clear guide on how to download this and place it properly? I read that you want the .zip file in the mods folder but when you download all you get is the .pyc file. I don't know how to do this :'c

DON'T get overwhelmed!!! (Picture Mrs. Doubtfire... "help is on the way!!!!!!" LOL)

Which mod are you asking about?

(I can help with any as far as install, even if I don't have a certain mod, I don't mind to go look at it if I need to.)
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    @LoveMcQueen5683

(I answered this on MTS, but I wanted to put this here also, in case someone else over here needs to know.)

Question was: (regarding the No Culling mod)

What you want to do is download it, but DO NOT EXTRACT it.

When 7zip (your unzipper, whatever you use) shows you the window with the file contents inside (the .py .pyo etc stuff)... click the UP arrow (top left) next to that window's address bar, which puts you back up into your downloads folder.

What you downloaded is what you want to copy over into your /Mods directory.

This file:

MTS_DarkGaia_1516626_nocull.zip

Does this help?
  • Options
    Simma wrote: »
    What about typing in the cheat box CAS.fulleditmode to make them siblings again? You can edit their relationships if they live together, but I'm not sure what happens when they move out yet. PS after you type the cheat, you click a dresser and hit plan outfits. Shift clicking a Sim doesn't work.

CAS.fulleditmode scares me. Sims2 holdover, probably, I saw epic gamebreakage on occasion (still the best game ever, thanks to Pescado! haha) which was probably largely caused by me monkeying around "under the hood" ... I also don't use MOO (ever!!!) or leave testingcheats enabled.

Scary minefields, all those things! I will mod the daylights out of this game, but I will not use (meaning turn on indefinitely, the things you can) any of those things in my game. I do USE testingcheats, but I've gotten in the habit of on/use/off, which is fine for me.