Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

starting my own save file

I want to start my own save file just as a default for my saves. Does the amount of packs I use in the save file have any bearing on how well the game runs? Just curious. I was thinking of just doing base game plus whatever packs come with that world and only use a couple of stuff packs (Laundry Day, Tiny Living). But if you think it doesn't matter, I can go crazy with the packs.

Comments

• Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    I think it depends on your computer and the amount of mods/cc you use. Without mods, my save where I use everything in every world runs fine. With mods, it loads a little slower. Also, I've tried playing all the sims in my save (roughly about 500 sims), and my computer didn't like it. It didn't make it crash or anything just took a while to load the households in manage worlds.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Unless you uninstall packs, you aren't controlled the amount in a save file. It can make a difference for some people on really low-end computers because they just can't have the game doing that much at once. But not nearly as much difference as the number of mods/CC (and duplicates of them), the number of complex script mods adding systems, the number of Sims, the number of Sim relationships, how big the current household is, how crammed with interactable objects the current household is. For my saves, I'm pretty sure my biggest factor is just how many Sims I have + how many relationships, but I don't tend to put tons of stuff on lots.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    edited February 8
    I think its more about how many objects and different objects are on one lot/neighborhood less about how many packs were used

like if you used 10 different wallpapers or 5
    probably not about if those wallpapers came from same pack

and probably more about having less stuff rather than just using everything from one pack

I do think items with lots of movement are probably one thing you could limit if performance is the worry or like massive pool on every lot is probably not good idea :sweat_smile:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    edited February 8
    I think YouTube, and other sites, have ideas of how to create your own save file.
    I forgot the name, but there is a person on YouTube that recreated her save file to be more like Disney, and has details on how they did it. They also don't use CC or Mods, just what is available to them. They also had to replace all the lots.
    Other Simmers have the process already done, and have save files you can download in place of your own games as well.
    They do mention that the process can take a very long time, so keep that in mind as well.
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I say if the game allows you to do something then go crazy with it, let your mind run wild with any possibilities you can imagine. I'd say that's the best way to test the limits of this game and it's performance.
  • Options
    edited February 8
    Umbreon12 wrote: »
    They do mention that the process can take a very long time, so keep that in mind as well.

It does take a while. Especially if you're like me and change your mind often. It took me around a year or more to rebuild every lot and make all new Sims. The process is so rewarding once you're finished though.

I started sharing my save with the community a few years ago, and I update with each new pack. I'm currently working on the update(s) for Horse Ranch and For Rent. It's been a challenge but I still enjoy the process.

It's no easy task and it can get tedious at times but again, the end result is so rewarding. Knowing you made it your own, whether you rebuild/remake, curate lots and Sims from the Gallery, or a combination of the two, it feels so much more special when you see it all finished.
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member

It does take a while. Especially if you're like me and change your mind often. It took me around a year or more to rebuild every lot and make all new Sims. The process is so rewarding once you're finished though.

I started sharing my save with the community a few years ago, and I update with each new pack. I'm currently working on the update(s) for Horse Ranch and For Rent. It's been a challenge but I still enjoy the process.

It's no easy task and it can get tedious at times but again, the end result is so rewarding. Knowing you made it your own, whether you rebuild/remake, curate lots and Sims from the Gallery, or a combination of the two, it feels so much more special when you see it all finished.

The results I have seen from people, like you as well, who rebuild their saves the results I have seen are completely stunning. I have not seen any that I didn't like the result of.
    I just hear from people rebuilding their games that it can take a really long time to get what you want. It takes time and dedication. Building and making Sims to fit the new worlds is amazing as well, and can take time.
    One day I want to do the same thing, but I don't know what I want to do, and the time it may take is putting me off a bit. The results are amazing, but the dedication should be applauded.
  • Options
    I started rebuilding my worlds 5 years ago and I still don't really have complete worlds or neighborhoods

you can definitely sink whole lot of time in this

I do jump between worlds fair bit though so thats at least part of the reason

and having to redo some builds i did at start cause I'm like okay no I can do better than that now :lol:
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,430 Member
    edited February 9
    Simmingal wrote: »
    I think its more about how many objects and different objects are on one lot/neighborhood less about how many packs were used

and probably more about having less stuff rather than just using everything from one pack

I do think items with lots of movement are probably one thing you could limit if performance is the worry or like massive pool on every lot is probably not good idea :sweat_smile:

I wanted to say almost the same. The amount of items on a lot is more important than the number of packs to make a starter save run smoothly. Try to avoid lots with tons of clutter.

Some youtubers who created lots for EA have talked about restrictions to make the game run smoother on lower end PC. There was a max amount of objects. I don't know how much. But also no move objects and trying to avoid choosing many different objects. (for example fewer wall papers instead of each room a different one.)

You can also think about whether or not you want to use cc in a starter save. Since cc can break or slow down the game, I personally try to avoid it.
    I started rebuilding my worlds 5 years ago and I still don't really have complete worlds or neighborhoods

and having to redo some builds i did at start cause I'm like okay no I can do better than that now :lol:

Making an own save file is a lot of work. That's why my personal save file is not a totally new one but rather an edit of the maxis one. I replaced or edited some lots which I was doing over and over for every save. Things like having a spa, restaurants and a bowling alley ready in my save and of course a decent magic realm and magic shops. I added some of my favourite sims and fixed absurd cold weather outfits of premades.If I would share my save you could easily play a 'spot the differences' kind of game. :) 80 or 90% is unchanged but the 10% or so that is changed, makes the game more fun for me personally.
  • Options
    edited February 9

That's one reason it took me as long as it did. As I built, I got better and my old lots weren't as good as I could do later. So, I redid them.

One of the reasons I decided to even take on a project like this was so I could improve with building and CAS. The other reason was I wanted to have a save that I could dabble with rotation. Then it turned into what it is now.

A few years later, and I still like the process of coming up with backstories, planning builds, and creating.
  • Options
    edited February 9

Honestly, I find it a fun-for-me gameplay in itself. It hits the creativity button. I do also keep it saved separately for re-use, though! Well, I try to. :D
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options

Honestly, I find it a fun-for-me gameplay in itself. It hits the creativity button. I do also keep it saved separately for re-use, though! Well, I try to. :D

I find it fun as well, or else I wouldn't do it. My thing is I don't "play" with packs until I update my save. So by the time the community is itching for another pack, I'm just getting started with the previous ones. The good thing is, it gives me something to do during dry spells.
  • Options
    edited February 10
    Atreya33 wrote: »

I wanted to say almost the same. The amount of items on a lot is more important than the number of packs to make a starter save run smoothly. Try to avoid lots with tons of clutter.

Some youtubers who created lots for EA have talked about restrictions to make the game run smoother on lower end PC. There was a max amount of objects. I don't know how much. But also no move objects and trying to avoid choosing many different objects. (for example fewer wall papers instead of each room a different one.)

You can also think about whether or not you want to use cc in a starter save. Since cc can break or slow down the game, I personally try to avoid it.

Making an own save file is a lot of work. That's why my personal save file is not a totally new one but rather an edit of the maxis one. I replaced or edited some lots which I was doing over and over for every save. Things like having a spa, restaurants and a bowling alley ready in my save and of course a decent magic realm and magic shops. I added some of my favourite sims and fixed absurd cold weather outfits of premades.If I would share my save you could easily play a 'spot the differences' kind of game. :) 80 or 90% is unchanged but the 10% or so that is changed, makes the game more fun for me personally.

Yeah at start I was so set on build it all myself every lot for everything :lol:

but I've been doing more renovations and edits recently where I see potential
    and where the builds are not such mcmansions that it becomes more work to furnish than bulldoze and rebuild :lol:
  • Options

I find it fun as well, or else I wouldn't do it. My thing is I don't "play" with packs until I update my save. So by the time the community is itching for another pack, I'm just getting started with the previous ones. The good thing is, it gives me something to do during dry spells.

That is so much a thing :D Like... so many houses NEEDED a cat or dog or two. And they needed to have new babies so there would be infants. And the REALLY need to join clubs. Or to have proper summer and winter outfits. And a new world means new empty lots! And new households that don't have anything but new pack and base-game stuff.
  • Options
    amjoieamjoie Posts: 3,516 Member
    I ended up doing a custom save template without really meaning to do it. I just kept changing things to what I needed in my game, like fewer repeat venues to keep down the number of NPCs spawned. And my worlds tend to become theme worlds once I develop them, sort of like each world eventually becoming a unique vacation destination for my main sim family.

I did not really notice how long it took, because the fun was getting there. I am almost done with a full makeover of each world that I intend to actually play in. And the small handful I will ignore are mostly wiped of all lots except for the one that is required game play, like my solitary vampire and solitary werewolf living in their own house being the only thing not wiped in those worlds.

One thing I will say now that I am on the tail end of doing a custom save template, is that I am so glad I did it. Playing a custom save is much more fun than living in someone else's idea of what this game should be.