Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should there be (story) repercussions to resurrection?

Natasha and Ryan. Ryan was informed of previously hidden magical abilities after the sudden death of his fiancé. After some study he was able to successfully reunite with her ghost. Then they visited the special park at Glimmerbrook Watch and Natasha wished for life at the magic well.
The wishing well only granted her knowledge of ambrosia (and an angelfish...) at which point the couple collected the ingredients and through their new magical (or at least semi-magical) contacts they enlisted the services of one Sabrina Cooke who helped prepare the dish which successfully bought Natasha back to life.

At this stage I am contemplating whether there should be repercussions in the story. In my current cannon, magic is not well-known and supernatural things are just stories to many day-to-day folks. Obviously it would be somewhat public that Natasha died. Therefore I am uncertain whether she should be able to :
- reenroll in university or get a job, at least immediately
- continue living in the same apartment
- keep her original name and appearance
- reconnect with previous acquaintances and friends

I'm also leaning towards getting the couple married in a hurried fashion as if they are blown away by what they have been through and achieved. Also, he received the inheritance call (actually that may have been shortly after her death).

Comments

• Options
    NRoweNRowe Posts: 7,898 Member
    Suddenly thinking that this could be an excellent excuse why Natasha has no contact with her family (a new Sim has no connections unless created of course..) She can't let them know she's alive...
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    That's a tough one. If Natasha changes her appearance and remains close to Ryan, their friends might take offense ("The love of your life died and you already have new one?!"). But asking them to pretend to be just acquaintances would be too cruel, so moving towns would be advised.

Getting a legal ID might be a hassle, but doable. Just have a permament address and hold a job for a while. Afterwards university should be on the table again. Or would marriage to Ryan automatically grant the "new" Natasha an ID? In this case the rushed marriage might be a good idea.
  • Options
    edited February 4
    Cheers EnkiSchmidt

So far I have moved them from their Evergreen Harbour apartment (Stonestreet) to San Myshuno (Culpepper). San Myshuno was open to them for brief trips so it’s not like they’ve moved countries but have moved away from the immediate neighbours. The couple were young and new in Evergreen Harbour so they shouldn’t be missed too much or thought of if they happen to be spotted in the CBD from a distance. Natasha will probably change up her hair at least..

Going to go with the wedding too, as I like the idea of paper trail there. False paper trail that is as they’ll get married under a new name for her and change her surname to his.

Job before university is a brilliant idea too.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    I feel like it could be really fun to play her trying to keep her death (and undeath) a secret, until Ryan is able to restore her to life.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    I have never even thought about this. I assume in a world where everyone (including pet hamsters) can own a spaceship, where money can grow on trees and where deadly cow plants lure sims with cakes, people would accept resurrection without the need for consequences. That's at least how it works in my sims universe. But it is an interesting thought.

If you want to play with consequences I would go for the following: Natasha pretends to be her own identical twin sister no one knew about until now. People will find this a bit odd but they well accept her in the end. She would have to start a job from scratch and befriend her former friends again.

Another thing to consider would be a price to pay for resurrection. In some stories you can't resurrect people without some form of punishment. For example their house could become a haunted house. Or someone else will die in her place.
    -
  • Options
    Funny you should mention punishment Atreya33. The apartment they moved to happens to be the haunted/spooky one in Culpepper House. Not always my favourite but I was like, well, you were dead. There are so ghosts attracted to your vicinity now.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I think this type of question is best answered by us as individual players. It's the sort of thing someone can act out in their own game. I wouldn't like it if the game forced it on me. I'll say that I prefer adding my own consequences to the game versus having a very simple automatic game reaction. So, if you as a player think there should be some price to be paid for that action then I think it's great to play that out. I apply consequences to sims if I want to, I just like to be able to make complex decisions for myself.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    My Rock Star was killed by a game-glitch. And, of course the news spread like wild fire, especially since they gave him a really nice Memorial on Air. So, when he showed up at the Starlight Accolades the next day, there were all kinds of gasps when he stood up to receive his award. :open_mouth: He took a moment, on stage, to gather his thoughts and carefully explained to the audience in studio and on TV, that the "Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

Beyond that, I just took the story forward.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,658 Member
    My Rock Star was killed by a game-glitch. And, of course the news spread like wild fire, especially since they gave him a really nice Memorial on Air. So, when he showed up at the Starlight Accolades the next day, there were all kinds of gasps when he stood up to receive his award. :open_mouth: He took a moment, on stage, to gather his thoughts and carefully explained to the audience in studio and on TV, that the "Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

I would pay simoleons to see that!

Morgyn has resurrected a few sims, but not ones I played stories out with so I’m not sure how I’d handle your situation. But, I have a consequences system in place for other things.

My problem is that Morgyn has become quite a super sim over time, with tons of added skills, spellcaster perks, added traits and an expanded spell book. To keep him from becoming untouchable, I’ve created a penalty system for use of life altering spells, including resurrecting sims, death triggers and calling forth the dead. When he uses one of those spells, I’ve determined that it costs him something, physically and mentally. So we don’t use them much. When we do, I roll a random number and that’s how many real days he gets parked in the magic realm to”recover.”
  • Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited February 14
    When my sim self's teen grandson George died back in the early 90's, i kept him around as a ghost for a while but decided to resurrect him as i felt he went too soon. For the benefit of this forum i downloaded some Sim Gurus from the gallery for that update and broke the fourth wall by getting them to tell George's family that they thought the ghost in the family was creepy and to bring back George home alive. By the new sim year, George was defiantly back alive in my next update!

When my sim self's parent's died in 1981 when i had aging on for all sims back then, i was quick enough to move his mother in so she could pass with them. Unfortunately his father's spirit had already been culled to the netherworld by then. His mother passed in the early hours of the morning as seen in this photo:

cphL2yP.png

Again, i thought his parents had died too soon and a few sim years had passed before they were completely culled from the game.

By 1985, i had re-created both his parents from old screenshots and used MCCC to join the family back up again. When they returned in 1985, it was like nothing never happened but my sim self once confessed to his mother after their return that he had a dream where she 'died'

Below are the new parents re-created in 1985 from old screenshots:
    BVbqNHu.png
    ApCobAD.png

Original parents from 1980:
    UhWSDGy.png
    zHfgs0L.png
    KMAW3DW.png
  • Options
    edited February 15
    cyncie wrote: »

Morgyn has resurrected a few sims, but not ones I played stories out with so I’m not sure how I’d handle your situation. But, I have a consequences system in place for other things.

My problem is that Morgyn has become quite a super sim over time, with tons of added skills, spellcaster perks, added traits and an expanded spell book. To keep him from becoming untouchable, I’ve created a penalty system for use of life altering spells, including resurrecting sims, death triggers and calling forth the dead. When he uses one of those spells, I’ve determined that it costs him something, physically and mentally. So we don’t use them much. When we do, I roll a random number and that’s how many real days he gets parked in the magic realm to”recover.”

I have no clue as to where the "What Happened In Your Game Today?" thread is, currently. But if you're interested, you can find both updates, Breaking News on page 1233 and the rollback, The Rumors of My Death . . . on page 1236. The only live performance was during my gameplay.

Best I can do is a picture. As you can see he's still a bit on the page side. Yes, he nearly froze to death, but his younger brother a physician of some renown, spotted the symptoms in time to save him. :) (That's my story and I'm sticking with it.)

ZLVDBJi.jpg

I appreciate your situation, though. I thought I was finally done but I put up a poll. Rollback and saving him won out. So, now I'm attempting to achieve my original goal for him.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,289 Member
    cyncie wrote: »

I have no clue as to where the "What Happened In Your Game Today?" thread is, currently. But if you're interested, you can find both updates, Breaking News on page 1233 and the rollback, The Rumors of My Death . . . on page 1236. The only live performance was during my gameplay.

Best I can do is a picture. As you can see he's still a bit on the page side. Yes, he nearly froze to death, but his younger brother a physician of some renown, spotted the symptoms in time to save him. :) (That's my story and I'm sticking with it.)

ZLVDBJi.jpg

I appreciate your situation, though. I thought I was finally done but I put up a poll. Rollback and saving him won out. So, now I'm attempting to achieve my original goal for him.

@GalacticGal, the thread as well as others from this section has moved over to this thread so that it can be moved to the new site.
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/the-sims-franchise-discussion

And if you have any threads that you want to nominate for the new site, then you can post the links over in this thread... :)
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/1012879/nominations-thread-content-to-be-considered-for-migration#latest

Hope this helps... :)
  • Options
    @lisasc360 Thank you so much. This whole venture has rattled my cage a bit. LOL
  • Options
    lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,289 Member
    @lisasc360 Thank you so much. This whole venture has rattled my cage a bit. LOL

You're welcome @GalacticGal....☺️ Yeah I was a bit surprised when I had read Cade's post about it the other day. I will admit that I will miss this site but I also understand the reason behind it as the site is quite old and can be unstable at times.