Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

It’s not a glitch, it’s gameplay!

What is something you thought was a glitch but was actually a part of the game/gameplay?

I’ll start:
High School Years - T-Pose Challenge
When I first started following my teen sims to school I noticed many teens who were “stuck” in the T-Pose. Thinking it was just a minor glitch, I would reset the sims and continue playing. It wasn’t until last year that I completed one of the teen aspirations that has your sim join a T-Pose challenge did it dawn on me that the sims weren’t stuck!

Comments

• Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,430 Member
    When I first noticed walking around in situational outfits in the magic realm. I understand the need for them at geekcon but in the magic realm? My my carefully created spellcasters are ruined by having them show up in random outfits that don't reflect their personality? Outfits that don't really make them look more magical either because they are not robes. A big thank you to @83bienchen for saving my spellcasters with her situational outfits mod.
  • Options
    HermioneSimsHermioneSims Posts: 794 Member
    Some neighborhood action plans, like the "free love" one often left me quite cofused before I could understand the reason behind some behaviours. :D
    2if86miljyb3.png
    You can follow the Legacy Miller from my blog and the forum thread, *Chapter 8.18 posted on the 23th of April 2024*
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    When I first noticed walking around in situational outfits in the magic realm. I understand the need for them at geekcon but in the magic realm? My my carefully created spellcasters are ruined by having them show up in random outfits that don't reflect their personality? Outfits that don't really make them look more magical either because they are not robes. A big thank you to @83bienchen for saving my spellcasters with her situational outfits mod.

Indeed, I don't like that too. Dealing with this in-game would require cheats, as you have to equip the premade spellcaster trait with this cheat:
    traits.equip_trait trait_Hidden_SpellcasterPremade

Speaking of cheats, I'm making a save with custom NPC sims. There are two things that I found odd while making those:
    • When making an Eco Inspector, I equipped the career and evicted them. Usually, it works and that sim appears as service sim, but eco inspectors were generated, which confused me. And then I decided to take a look at the tuning files for Eco Inspector sim_filter. It turns out that besides the career requirement, they need to never be played (which can be bypassed by saving the sim to your library and then downloading them, moving them into a lot (without playing with them), and immediately evicting) and they need to live alone in a household (I usually pack service sims into a 8-sim households, so that would also be a problem). So yeah, I did these and my custom-made sims appeared as eco inspectors!
    • When making bartenders, they didn't appear in their role at all. In addition, I noticed their career disappearing as soon I went through the loading screen, even when that sim wasn't in the active household (which isn't the case with other NPC careers). I soon found out why: bartender (both the usual and wolftown variants, but not the company and pub owner variants) career is one of the location based careers (these sims only work in bars of the certain lot). Simply equipping the career leaves the location blank, so this sim won't appear anywhere. Realistic, I guess (you won't see the same bartender in every bar, I guess, never been to a bar), but this poses an annoying issue for me. I worked so hard on these sims after all! If anyone could suggest me a mod or suggest where to make such mod request, thanks in advance.
    So yeah, it's a struggle sometimes, but the ability to look into tuning files does help me a lot. Plus I can share fun facts too!
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »

Indeed, I don't like that too. Dealing with this in-game would require cheats, as you have to equip the premade spellcaster trait with this cheat:

Speaking of cheats, I'm making a save with custom NPC sims. There are two things that I found odd while making those:
    • When making an Eco Inspector, I equipped the career and evicted them. Usually, it works and that sim appears as service sim, but eco inspectors were generated, which confused me. And then I decided to take a look at the tuning files for Eco Inspector sim_filter. It turns out that besides the career requirement, they need to never be played (which can be bypassed by saving the sim to your library and then downloading them, moving them into a lot (without playing with them), and immediately evicting) and they need to live alone in a household (I usually pack service sims into a 8-sim households, so that would also be a problem). So yeah, I did these and my custom-made sims appeared as eco inspectors!
    • When making bartenders, they didn't appear in their role at all. In addition, I noticed their career disappearing as soon I went through the loading screen, even when that sim wasn't in the active household (which isn't the case with other NPC careers). I soon found out why: bartender (both the usual and wolftown variants, but not the company and pub owner variants) career is one of the location based careers (these sims only work in bars of the certain lot). Simply equipping the career leaves the location blank, so this sim won't appear anywhere. Realistic, I guess (you won't see the same bartender in every bar, I guess, never been to a bar), but this poses an annoying issue for me. I worked so hard on these sims after all! If anyone could suggest me a mod or suggest where to make such mod request, thanks in advance.
    So yeah, it's a struggle sometimes, but the ability to look into tuning files does help me a lot. Plus I can share fun facts too!

Appreciate you sharing that information. I too would prefer if my own Sims could fill the various npc roles in the game and it's so strange that we can't. I wish they would develop a game mechanic for it, or at least for some types, even if they had skill requirements.

But to continue with the thread topic, something in game that confused me for a moment was in Sulani. I had a Sim swimming near the shore in one of the deeper water areas and suddenly my Sim was randomly pulled further away from land. I did a double-take, was like, "how did I get here?" And thought for a second that it was one of those lag "teleportation" bugs where your Sim is suddenly in a different place on the lot. But nope, I got either a moodlet or a popup that said something about the strength of the tide pulling my Sim out to sea and it freaked my Sim out a little, lol. I was delighted.

I know Island Living gets a lot of flak for not having enough gameplay or water activities, but there are a lot of hidden surprises, particularly related to the ocean itself, that makes it one of my favorite EPs. I love to see a Sim panic-swimming for shore after a shark encounter, lol. 😂
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    LiELF wrote: »
    EgonVM wrote: »

Appreciate you sharing that information. I too would prefer if my own Sims could fill the various npc roles in the game and it's so strange that we can't. I wish they would develop a game mechanic for it, or at least for some types, even if they had skill requirements.

But to continue with the thread topic, something in game that confused me for a moment was in Sulani. I had a Sim swimming near the shore in one of the deeper water areas and suddenly my Sim was randomly pulled further away from land. I did a double-take, was like, "how did I get here?" And thought for a second that it was one of those lag "teleportation" bugs where your Sim is suddenly in a different place on the lot. But nope, I got either a moodlet or a popup that said something about the strength of the tide pulling my Sim out to sea and it freaked my Sim out a little, lol. I was delighted.

I know Island Living gets a lot of flak for not having enough gameplay or water activities, but there are a lot of hidden surprises, particularly related to the ocean itself, that makes it one of my favorite EPs. I love to see a Sim panic-swimming for shore after a shark encounter, lol. 😂

Oh yeah. At one point, I was even making a discussion on these forums on making those NPC sims. The making is stagnant for now, but now that I have some time, I can continue it.

Speaking of swimming, one thing that I also used to think was a bug was sharks in Britechester. From the tuning file, there's a special spot for sharks appearing in the university world during fall. So yeah, that's a thing it turns out.

With sharks, it has to be remembered that in some neighborhoods (For example: Mua Pel'am, Foxbury Institute, and Koh Sahpa), shark sightings will actually indicate danger, as it allows sims to randomly be pulled underwater, potentially causing them to drown to death.
  • Options
    TeeSeaTeeSea Posts: 1,556 Member
    @EgonVM

Thanks for sharing this!
  • Options
    LuvtehGeeksLuvtehGeeks Posts: 1,663 Member
    @EgonVM, Zero has a mod for pre-made NPC's on patreon with a tutorial on how to use it that might be what you have in mind. I haven't tried it but I use a couple dozen of their other mods and they are very stable. Happy simming. 🦹🦇
    graphics-kisses-hugs-822976.gif
  • Options
    @EgonVM, Zero has a mod for pre-made NPC's on patreon with a tutorial on how to use it that might be what you have in mind. I haven't tried it but I use a couple dozen of their other mods and they are very stable. Happy simming. 🦹🦇

I see. Do send me the link too! I'd be happy to take a look at it.
  • Options
    calmherecalmhere Posts: 9 New Member
    I have an unusual sim that I am sure is some kind of glitch. He is a 5th generation male sim from a line of vampires, aliens and humans. When I raised him to young adult from toddler in CAS he showed no occult at all and had no alter ego. When I went back to regular gameplay I found that he was a vampire/spellcaster mix (and no Spellcaster in his ancestry unless it came from one the the game players that I married into the family.) That isn't the odd part! On his box he mostly is a spellcaster, he can learn spells and cast spells and do all the things spellcaster can do except his spot where the spell charge amount is supposed to be is a vampire line and he has thirst on his line. So he must drink blood/plasma to keep existing but gets none of the benefits from it, but he does have a weakness in that he can still burn in sunlight. Also, he can eat normally and sleep in a regular bed but still must drink the plasma. There is no way to change his traits for vampire or spellcaster to help him with that or anything else. I have found him to be a challenge in playing. lol Any comments?
  • Options
    calmhere wrote: »
    I have an unusual sim that I am sure is some kind of glitch. He is a 5th generation male sim from a line of vampires, aliens and humans. When I raised him to young adult from toddler in CAS he showed no occult at all and had no alter ego. When I went back to regular gameplay I found that he was a vampire/spellcaster mix (and no Spellcaster in his ancestry unless it came from one the the game players that I married into the family.) That isn't the odd part! On his box he mostly is a spellcaster, he can learn spells and cast spells and do all the things spellcaster can do except his spot where the spell charge amount is supposed to be is a vampire line and he has thirst on his line. So he must drink blood/plasma to keep existing but gets none of the benefits from it, but he does have a weakness in that he can still burn in sunlight. Also, he can eat normally and sleep in a regular bed but still must drink the plasma. There is no way to change his traits for vampire or spellcaster to help him with that or anything else. I have found him to be a challenge in playing. lol Any comments?

Are you using any mods?
  • Options
    Absolutely no mods. Don't mess with them. But I do use the regular cheats, like I used to age up the sim to young adult from a toddler.
  • Options
    @calmhere
    Hmm, if you don't use mods then it must be some of the cheats you used. The only way I know to get a hybrid occult is with a mod like MC Command Center. I've never tried to make a hybrid sim because they can be very unstable. Have you tried to remove all the occult states with cheats? The game itself should not have made a hybrid, so unless it's a new glitch, I'm guessing that it has something to do with the cheats you used.
    Hopefully someone will come across this post that knows more about this than I do. Hope you find the help you need.
  • Options
    Thanks, TeeSea, for trying. I kind of like the character and think I will keep him the way he is. I really just thought it was worth mentioning in the glitch section.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,896 Member
    Hi @calmhere and welcome to the forum :) That sounds like a very interesting character and unique to play!
  • Options
    Faust-RSIFaust-RSI Posts: 209 Member
    edited January 29
    Well, to add to the discussion above, one of my main and oldest sims is also a glitch, vampire-alien hybrid. You can see her on my avatar BTW. She wasn't an accident though, as at that time there was a way to make this happen in the game. It should be fixed now, but you can be never sure with EA :) Speaking of which, they tried really hard to get rid of hybrids (they'd better fix some more serious bugs though). My poor sim suffered from some updates so I had to "fix" her with MCCC. Also, I cannot touch her powers related to changing forms - once used they can destroy her appearance and change it to some random (alien) one. This also means no CAS. Other than that, both her alien and vampire powers work perfectly well!
  • Options
    TheOccasionalMishapTheOccasionalMishap Posts: 7 New Member
    I got the University and Werewolves packs at the same time, and one of my favorite things is when a rampaging werewolf hops on a bicycle and rides down the street streaming red clouds of Fury, eyes blazing. It feels right on the line to me: definitely not a glitch, nothing's broken, but definitely not intended either!
  • Options
    ZelexPower2PCZelexPower2PC Posts: 60 Member
    When I first got sims 4. I made my first sims very skinny and over time they were gaining weight, and I only ate when they were hungry. I thought gaining weight was a glitch because I never experienced this mechanic outside of GTA San Andreas before and everything else about the game wasn't too realistic. I didn't know you had to exercise to keep regular.
  • Options
    edited February 5
    Also get famous pack, sims collapsing/falling asleep randomly. More of an oversight really. I don't know if this is still an issue. Plus, your sim and others being forced to fawn over a celebrity and this not being an option to turn off. My finger trying over and over to cancel the animation.
    Post edited by ZelexPower2PC on
  • Options
    @ZelexPower2PC If you use mods, there are a plethora of mods that stop all the annoying stuff famous sims do or cause.
  • Options
    edited February 5
    TeeSea wrote: »
    @ZelexPower2PC If you use mods, there are a plethora of mods that stop all the annoying stuff famous sims do or cause.
    @TeeSea Yea I know now. This was all was few years after sims 4 first came out.
    Post edited by ZelexPower2PC on
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,578 Member
    Sims eating the wedding cake early before it's been cut is actually a feature, not a bug. The bride and groom should even be able to get a sentiment related to it when they are near enough to witness (which they normally aren't because they're getting wed).
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,896 Member
    @ZelexPower2PC haha celebrities are such a menace!
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    When I got Sims 4 High School years, I thought the T-pose animation was a glitch. Partly, because the teens would just do it randomly, or not towards anyone. Now, I know it is part of the game play.
  • Options
    edited February 6
    @ZelexPower2PC haha celebrities are such a menace!
    @mightysprite What made it worst. Is that I downloaded from the gallery pre-made sims based off of celebrities, started playing for a while, then I just quit the pack after find this out.