Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Plum Tree App is shutting down?

Comments

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    edited September 2023
    Post edited by simgirl1010 on
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member

Hope a deal can be arranged that suits both parties. I want to see the app stick around, but I don't want to like...force the creator to stick around if they don't want to stick around.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited September 2023
    I didn’t use it much, but know it’s been useful for some Simmers. I wonder if anyone will come up with an alternative?

Possibly James Turner if enough people requested it. He already has a site with other helpful sim tools.

edit: I didn't see Sims Community post about reaching out. :blush:
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    Stardust123Stardust123 Posts: 127 Member
    Lozzomatic wrote: »
    Any recommendations on what other family tree apps or sites I could use? I feel a bit weird using ones for ACTUAL people, I don't want some random person mistaking one of my sims for their long lost uncle because they have a similar name, it's why I'm hesitant to use Family Echo. Is it private by default or do you have to alter the settings?

I don't think Family Echo links to actual people? I thought it was just a free family tree maker

Also on family Echo I've been listing traits and things in the Bio notes, it's better than nothing and I can put whatever info I want in there

Also I hope the Plum Tree App can be saved! It would be nice
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    I'm sad to see the plum tree app go. It was great to have a family tree tool specifically designed for sims. I hope it can be saved. I used to create family trees in gimp. The results were nice but it wasn't very practical. Maybe one of the alternatives mentioned here can work for me
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    lemonella wrote: »
    musteni wrote: »
    I checked some of the alternatives (my heritage, family echo, quick family tree) they don't seem as good as plum tree app to me, neither by functionality nor visual side…. In conclusion, I don't think I'll be doing family trees anymore.

I’m sorry to hear that! I think it’s really important to remember the Plum Tree app was specifically designed for Sims family trees, and none of these alternatives were designed to organize and track info the same way. Yes, they are alternatives, but they are not one and the same. Hope you find an option that suits your needs!

Yeah, I mean that's what made plumtree app so special :) It had everything needed and looked great too! Really appreciate the way it's set up. I hope it can be saved somehow, but also like I said I'm willing to give up making family trees... I'm really sad how the family trees in the game are, but even though I enjoyed making detailed ones in plumtree app I think I'll just go back to the game trees even if sims are missing etc.
  • Options
    LozzomaticLozzomatic Posts: 516 Member
    It'd be cool if there was an update adding the ability to create and edit the family tree and bio, kind of like in Sims 2, where you could put in a little biography of your sim and make up your story about them and what they want.
  • Options
    kerryemmiebethkerryemmiebeth Posts: 400 Member
    I was so sad to see that Plumtree was closing. I use it all the time as I like to record the traits, aspirations etc my sims have as well as writing a bit about them. I have started to put the information from my biggest family tree (my Legacy family) into an app I found called "My Family Tree". I've just put in everyone up to generation 3 but I am on generation 6 so I still have a way to go yet. I can fit the information I want into it but it will never replace Plumtree. I hope something can be worked out to save it.

53180747400_a09a1f1d38_o.pngMy Family Tree App by Kerry Sayers, on Flickr
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    edited September 2023

We’ve got you covered with everything you need to know about Plum Tree App closing down, how players can obtain their family tree’s and alternatives that you can use in the future.

https://simscommunity.info/2023/09/12/plum-tree-app-closing/
  • Options
    amber_ilumireamber_ilumire Posts: 1,714 Member
    Ugh, devastated is not even the word. I absolutely love Plumtree! I first began using it when I decided to play my first proper legacy and it’s made playing through nearly fourteen generations so much fun :'( I absolutely love adding photos and being able to add in every aspect of my sims’ personality as a record as I go. Plus the site itself is very aesthetically pleasing lmao. I’ll have to try and download my tree, but I’ll be upset at not being able to add to it anymore. I hope I can find an alternative that fits my game… Or by some miracle that someone can save Plumtree.
  • Options
    SkeilahSkeilah Posts: 1,762 Member
    Noooo this news broke my heart, I loved using Plum Tree. I already went ahead and downloaded my trees (both legacy trees that kinda mean a lot to me), now on to find a replacement...
    koppTCP.pngSubscribe to my WordPress blog to stay updated!
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    I have to re-make 16 out of 26 family trees in a seperat save so I can make it accurate to my family tree on Plumbum- the last 3 are not yet related to the main family
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    SkeilahSkeilah Posts: 1,762 Member
    Well I tried some apps and websites but I couldn't find something that satisfied me enough. The last straw came when I had the app 'quick tree app', which I liked, but after putting gen 3 in it, saving and closing, for some reason the tree disappeared. Yeah, that made me mad.

So now I'm going to spend an entire day (or even more) making a family tree Prezi presentation xD Found out I could publish the Prezi on my website so there it is now, automatically updating while I'm working on it: click for prezi on website if curious

It's a good thing I'm on holiday this week, lmao.
    koppTCP.pngSubscribe to my WordPress blog to stay updated!
  • Options
    candystormcandystorm Posts: 321 Member
    This is very sad. I have around 15 generations on there. Every time I try to download my tree it says 'Something went wrong with your download'. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would hate to lose all that info, it took so long to add it all.
    Origin: twinklegalaxy
    Grim-Reaper-Sim.jpg

• Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    candystorm wrote: »
    This is very sad. I have around 15 generations on there. Every time I try to download my tree it says 'Something went wrong with your download'. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would hate to lose all that info, it took so long to add it all.

have you tried it again? Because if you do it at a non-busy time it works. That's what happened for me
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    candystormcandystorm Posts: 321 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    candystorm wrote: »

have you tried it again? Because if you do it at a non-busy time it works. That's what happened for me

I have been trying on and off since I posted that. Tried again this morning and same thing - something went wrong. I will keep trying though, thank you.
    Origin: twinklegalaxy
    Grim-Reaper-Sim.jpg

• Options
    LozzomaticLozzomatic Posts: 516 Member
    Has there been anymore updates on Plum Tree and if anyone is potentially able to save it?
    Are there more alternatives to it aside from what's been suggested?
  • Options
    Lilypink79Lilypink79 Posts: 115 Member
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    I didn’t use it much, but know it’s been useful for some Simmers. I wonder if anyone will come up with an alternative?

Possibly James Turner if enough people requested it. He already has a site with other helpful sim tools.

edit: I didn't see Sims Community post about reaching out. :blush:

I was about to comment to say I hope James Turner picks it up, his website is full of useful tools and a family tree creater would be a great addition
    I've got 99 problems and TS4 glitches are 99 of them
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    @simgirl1010 Sims Legacy Hub looks really promising, thank you for sharing! I could see myself using this.
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
  • Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,093 Member
    I was so sad to see that Plumtree was closing. I use it all the time as I like to record the traits, aspirations etc my sims have as well as writing a bit about them. I have started to put the information from my biggest family tree (my Legacy family) into an app I found called "My Family Tree". I've just put in everyone up to generation 3 but I am on generation 6 so I still have a way to go yet. I can fit the information I want into it but it will never replace Plumtree. I hope something can be worked out to save it.

53180747400_a09a1f1d38_o.pngMy Family Tree App by Kerry Sayers, on Flickr

Is this app available to download? I couldn't find it just now.
  • Options
    rabidtrianglerabidtriangle Posts: 4 New Member
    > @MadameLee said:
    > I have too many family trees (26) which are all interrelated and I'm having issues with downloading more then one. and I can't make new family trees else where because the majority of the sims from Gen 1-5 are deceased, ex-sims, have been bereft of life of life and it also means they got culled a long time ago depending on which generation they're. I don't think there's an option to import family trees from other places into Family Eco or anything. And I just about to write Swanson Chapter 7.14 for the first time in over 2+ years.
    >
    > I can't even download any of my 26 family trees from the site. I was able to download 2 but now I can't anymore every time I try it says "something gone wrong with my download"

I know this post is a few months old, but I thought I'd mention some things that helped me so that people can find it before December 1st. So, I have good news if you happen to use mods. MC Command Center has a module to extract family trees (MC gedcom) from the game itself and Family Echo happens to be able to read those files. It doesn't add everything in, but it was a HUGE help when I was getting started migrating my information over to create my giant, interconnected, messy 100 Baby Challenge family tree. Don't get me wrong, I had to do a ton of editing and add all the sims that were culled, but it was definitely helpful getting set up.

As far as downloading, I haven't had any issues even with trees that were linked in a billion ways. The creator did mention sending an email if you are having trouble, though, so maybe take a look at the website for the email link?