Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Plum Tree App is shutting down?

I just went to the Plum Tree App to update my legacy family and realized it has a notice that they're shutting down on the top of the page. I'm not sure how many people use it but I use it to keep up to date with my Legacy families and I am sad to see it's shutting down

I hope maybe someone will take it over for them

Comments

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,579 Member
    edited September 2023
    Have you tried your own hand at creating a tree? Just do a search for free editable family tree chart. I found one on docformats. They have 16 templates, one is called Family history which looks as if it would fit the bill. Best of luck.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Stardust123Stardust123 Posts: 127 Member
    Have you tried your own hand at creating a tree? Just do a search for free editable family tree chart. I found one on docformats. They have 16 templates, one is called Family history which looks as if it would fit the bill. Best of luck.

No, I haven't. Am I able to enter in all the information about a sim in that? I not only use it as a family tree, I also use it as way to store information about sims, like their traits, aspirations, cause of death and other random information.

I was using a legacy score sheet but they aren't updating that anymore either. I guess I'll have to start a file on the information for each sim and then make a tree somewhere else
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    It's a little weird to use for Sims, but MyHeritage (which is a family tree site for real people) has a free app. Admittedly, I don't use it for sims but use it for my writing when family trees are neccisary, but it should work about the same for sims.
  • Options
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    It's a little weird to use for Sims, but MyHeritage (which is a family tree site for real people) has a free app. Admittedly, I don't use it for sims but use it for my writing when family trees are neccisary, but it should work about the same for sims.

I was thinking of MyHeritage, but it's really for actual people and I don't want to mess up the AI of the site with matching my sims with possible real people haha. I might just go to Family Echo, it's a basic site that doesn't link anything to anyone else
  • Options

I was thinking of MyHeritage, but it's really for actual people and I don't want to mess up the AI of the site with matching my sims with possible real people haha. I might just go to Family Echo, it's a basic site that doesn't link anything to anyone else

Actually I might be thinking of the other one, Ancestry or whatever it is
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member

You can tell it to not synch with the site. Like I said, I use it for my writing (and, yes, my own family tree, but that's the only one I let talk to the site.)
  • Options

You can tell it to not synch with the site. Like I said, I use it for my writing (and, yes, my own family tree, but that's the only one I let talk to the site.)

Oh! Thanks for letting me know. I will have to have a look at it!
  • Options
    Colorist40Colorist40 Posts: 7,103 Member
    edited September 2023
    I was going to suggest Family Echo as it works well for me, but I see you mentioned it. That is what I get for posting before reading all the posts lol.

• Options
    Colorist40 wrote: »
    I was going to suggest Family Echo as it works well for me, but I see you mentioned it. That is what I get for posting before reading all the posts lol.

Yeah, it's a simple family tree, just wish I can add my own sections for information.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    I made family trees of my main save there, so I'm sad to see it go. I didn't use it very actively though. Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    LozzomaticLozzomatic Posts: 516 Member
    Just found out about it a little earlier. I have 3 (technically 4) family trees on there and have been doing some rescuing of them via taking pictures and videos of the trees so I can move them to a new spot. One of them is a dud legacy, wound up losing interest for some reason. The largest is my Willoughby historical family from Sims 3 that I 'transferred' to Sims 4 after I encountered an error that pretty much wrecked my save despite my careful cleaning of the files. Was only so much I could do but the old tree I had did manage to resurrect them. Started a new tree continuing from where I'd left and I've done little videos on both for the move.
    Any recommendations on what other family tree apps or sites I could use? I feel a bit weird using ones for ACTUAL people, I don't want some random person mistaking one of my sims for their long lost uncle because they have a similar name, it's why I'm hesitant to use Family Echo. Is it private by default or do you have to alter the settings?
  • Options
    blueyblueskyblueybluesky Posts: 1,373 Member
    That's a shame, I had just started using it again. Looks like I'll be going back to Family Echo.
  • Options
    becks1112becks1112 Posts: 919 Member
    Bummer, I liked it.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    Don't they provide some export file routine, in order to transfer info to another system?

Reading this I'm so glad I programmed my own tree. Sorry for you all, knowing how much time you have invested.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    Any suggestions on alternative family tree apps or sites?
  • Options
    lemonellalemonella Posts: 423 Member
    edited September 2023
    I use an app called Quick Family Tree. It’s not as detailed as Plum Tree, but you can add notes for each family member to add as much detail as you want. There’s even an option to add one additional field after each name, so I opted to list their occupation or education. My example is below! :)
    d51BGLD.png
    Post edited by lemonella on
    · · ─────── · 𖥸 · ─────── · ·
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    I checked some of the alternatives (my heritage, family echo, quick family tree) they don't seem as good as plum tree app to me, neither by functionality nor visual side. I liked adding info about my sims (picture, traits etc.) and I think it's hard to put in as much info as I'd like or have it properly organized. I also really need the ability to link between different trees because my main save is messy and I'm unsure if that's available in any? Then the looks, quick family tree is looking ok, but don't like the rest of them at all. No point making a family tree if I don't like looking at it. In conclusion, I don't think I'll be doing family trees anymore.
  • Options
    lemonellalemonella Posts: 423 Member
    musteni wrote: »
    I checked some of the alternatives (my heritage, family echo, quick family tree) they don't seem as good as plum tree app to me, neither by functionality nor visual side…. In conclusion, I don't think I'll be doing family trees anymore.

I’m sorry to hear that! I think it’s really important to remember the Plum Tree app was specifically designed for Sims family trees, and none of these alternatives were designed to organize and track info the same way. Yes, they are alternatives, but they are not one and the same. Hope you find an option that suits your needs!

· · ─────── · 𖥸 · ─────── · ·
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    edited September 2023
    I have too many family trees (26) which are all interrelated and I'm having issues with downloading more then one. and I can't make new family trees else where because the majority of the sims from Gen 1-5 are deceased, ex-sims, have been bereft of life of life and it also means they got culled a long time ago depending on which generation they're. I don't think there's an option to import family trees from other places into Family Eco or anything. And I just about to write Swanson Chapter 7.14 for the first time in over 2+ years.

I can't even download any of my 26 family trees from the site. I was able to download 2 but now I can't anymore every time I try it says "something gone wrong with my download"
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,971 Member
    I didn’t use it much, but know it’s been useful for some Simmers. I wonder if anyone will come up with an alternative?
  • Options
    For the time being I'm making temporary 'trees' in Microsoft Word docs, lol
    I'm putting down some of the basics and essentials and a brief bio to be expanded whenever a replacement is discovered.
    "It ain't much but it's honest work!"
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    It's shutting down? Noooooooo ;0;
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    BlueR0se wrote: »

The boyfriend(husband?) and Plum? are expecting a child due October. That and not enough donations to keep the site running.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    Colorist40Colorist40 Posts: 7,103 Member
    Colorist40 wrote: »

Yeah, it's a simple family tree, just wish I can add my own sections for information.

At the bottom of the page there are options for adding info but limited
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    BlueR0se wrote: »

The boyfriend(husband?) and Plum? are expecting a child due October. That and not enough donations to keep the site running.

Congrats to the couple! But it makes me sad cause I loved using the site.