Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I think people are confuse on what mmo vs multiplayer is?

Comments

• Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,400 Member
    Let's review the facts that we know right now:
    1. I believe everyone is on the same page that Sims 5 Rene will not be an MMO. Grant explicitly said this.
    2. We know there will be multiplayer elements
    3. Multiplayer is optional, and there will be single player mode
    4. We do NOT know if this will be a cloud-computing game and/or will require a constant Wifi connection
    5. Some in the Sims Community are angry about any multiplayer being included due to a zero-sum game when it comes to development resource allocation
    6. Some in the Sims Community are concerned about Sims 5 Rene development due to the track record of Sims 4 Project Olympus
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    @simmerorigin Well stated.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    Build_Mode_QueenBuild_Mode_Queen Posts: 24 Member
    I personally respect, but do not relate to the overall frustration that some feel over multi-player being added to Sims 5, a lot of people DO want it, i see younger people especially, wanting this and it *is* their job to grow the fanbase for The sims/attract new players. I wouldn't use the multiplayer function, but i don't think it will in any way make the game worse or more limited.
  • Options
    celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member
    The truth is that the only game in the franchise that went deep into multiplayer was The Sims Online. But unfortunately, the game was an MMO, and it felt like a walking chat room where players would go to wacky and colorful plots to increase their skills for hours while chatting with other players. :D

I think that when The Sims 5 arrives, a lot of people will want to play the game with their friends, even those who are more resistant today.
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    People do NOT confuse the two, most people just don't want any kind of online requirement in their single player games, is all.
    This is what caused Sims 4 to be redesigned late in development after all, after Sim City crashed and burned EA realized people their "online only" Sims 4 was going to fail so they scrambled and remade it.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I spent some time rereading Grant's and Lyndsay's statements from recent information. Nowhere that I saw does he say it's offline. What they say is a person can pick up right where they left off from their pc to their phone, no matter where they are. That sounds like online requirements to me.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    fujicakes1fujicakes1 Posts: 1,286 Member
    I actually would not mind multiplayer. I love having games that I am able to play with friends as a playable character. It’s a way to hang out when you can’t hang out in person, and it’s fun. I can’t wait until Disney Dreamlight Valley and Coral Island get multiplayer, in addition to looking forward to it possibly being in the Sims. I wish that Animal Crossing games had better multiplayer. Plus, you can show off the stuff you have done in your game to your friends in a way that is way better than just screenshots. In every Stardew save that I have, I have two friends as playable characters, and tbh it’s nice because they do the stuff that I don’t like to do lol, because they know I don’t like to do them. I honestly don’t know why it’s such a big deal. If you don’t want to play multiplayer, just don’t add people as playable characters. It’s that simple.
    All my daily trances, and all my nightly dreams, are where thy grey eye glances, and where thy footstep gleams.
    I dance to the beat of my own drum, no matter how measured or far away.
    I do love a road. You can always be wondering what is at the end of it.
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited July 2023
    Hi Cinebar.
    I spent some time rereading Grant's and Lyndsay's statements from recent information. Nowhere that I saw does he say it's offline. What they say is a person can pick up right where they left off from their pc to their phone, no matter where they are. That sounds like online requirements to me.

I agree with you. I do not do this , but from the sounds of it, I think this will be something like the Steam Remote Play. You need internet to do this.
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    edited July 2023

I have seen EA's track record with putting multiplayer or co op in single player franchises, Mass Effect and Dragon age for instance. Both times the single player campaign suffered for it, in my opinion. Both games were better before they split their attention between the two aspects.
    I don't trust EA to do any better with Sims. I hope they do, but am not holding my breath. I like most of what I have seen about project renee, but am still not buying when it first comes out until I get the chance to see how it plays with these aspects. If I can't do everything I can now, using mods, cc, cheat codes and playing offline I won't be buying it at all.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2023
    Katlyn2525 wrote: »
    Hi Cinebar.

I agree with you. I do not do this , but from the sounds of it, I think this will be something like the Steam Remote Play. You need internet to do this.

I saw a photo of someone sliding furniture in a Sim room seen on the phone and on the pc screen. How does something like that work? Will there have to be a TS5 app downloaded to the phone, too? I don't play those type games. Strictly pc player. Oh, and I'm wondering since there was that room on the phone screen and the pc screen if this game isn't going to be downloaded into a hard drive but sign into a web site/server to play.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited July 2023
    I saw a photo of someone sliding furniture in a Sim room seen on the phone and on the pc screen. How does something like that work? Will there have to be a TS5 app downloaded to the phone, too? I don't play those type games. Strictly pc player. Oh, and I'm wondering since there was that room on the phone screen and the pc screen if this game isn't going to be downloaded into a hard drive but sign into a web site/server to play.

I don't use this feature either, but from my understanding you need to have a account and own the game you want to play with friends. You have to use the computer that has the game installed on it. This does not work for all games. You then need to add a link to that computer which will allow you to play the game on tablets, mobiles, etc. . You can also with this same link invite friends to play, even if they do not own the game. They need to have a active account and have downloaded the link as well. I think there are controls you can set on the amount of involvement your friends can have in your game. They might just be able to watch you play your game and chat with you while you play to actually playing the game with you. You are the host. You have to be online. I believe your friends need to be online as well. I am a bit vague on this since I do not do this, but that is the general idea. I am sure it comes with its own set of problems. But I am curious if this is not something they are trying to implement for the Sims.
    Post edited by Katlyn2525 on
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

I share the same concerns. My biggest concern is how impaired the PC game will have to be in order to sync with a mobile app. We've already seen how TS4 suffered for the PC lowest common denominator. Imagine what happens when the lowest common denominator is a phone.

Unfortunately, it seems as if we won't get answers to those types of questions for some time.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    stylesdrukstylesdruk Posts: 27 Member
    I want an MMORPG. Not a co-op.
    There's no point in playing alone or only with your family. That's creepy.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    stylesdruk wrote: »

Have you tried Second Life? That might be something you're looking for.
  • Options
    Flikka_FlikkaFlikka_Flikka Posts: 436 Member

How is it creepy? In what other manner do you think we've all been playing The Sims for the past two decades?
  • Options
    Sarah26CatSarah26Cat Posts: 169 Member

How is it creepy? In what other manner do you think we've all been playing The Sims for the past two decades?

I'm suspicious that poster was trying to get us argumentative. A Troll is the old fashioned term for it. Just ignore them.
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    edited August 2023
    (deleted)
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Pheeeeewwwwww. I thought they learned the lesson from the way Sims 4 started. There are two new competitors on the scene. I hope they are not making a decision that will ruin the franchise forever. If it is multiplayer in any way, I will not buy it. I like creating my own stories not have people barge into my stories. Thanks but no thanks.
  • Options
    momelimberhammomelimberham Posts: 75 Member
    I don't totally understand MMO vs multiplayer vs co-op, I just know I don't want anyone else in my game. I think it could MAYBE be fun to have a dedicated neighborhood for other player-controlled content to appear, but it seems like, whatever the actual term is, things would be boring at best with the sims having connectivity to other people's games, and chaotic and hugely problematic at worst. Definitely prefer at least having the option to play entirely single-player.
    Can one awkward man find love when nobody knows what he looks like? Check out Joe Baghead season 1
  • Options
    EleriEleri Posts: 550 Member
    I don't design games and my knowledge of mobile games is limited to the puzzle games I play to distract myself from Adderall withdrawal. Does anybody know if it's possible to design a game where you can use some of the features on mobile, but you can only use all of the features on PC? I'm trying desperately to think of way that mobile compatibility won't doom us to a severely limited game.

Sorry if I'm wandering off topic. PC vs mobile isn't exactly the same argument as single player versus multiplayer.
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
  • Options
    brizgalbrizgal Posts: 147 Member
    Eleri wrote: »
    I don't design games and my knowledge of mobile games is limited to the puzzle games I play to distract myself from Adderall withdrawal. Does anybody know if it's possible to design a game where you can use some of the features on mobile, but you can only use all of the features on PC? I'm trying desperately to think of way that mobile compatibility won't doom us to a severely limited game.

Sorry if I'm wandering off topic. PC vs mobile isn't exactly the same argument as single player versus multiplayer.

I have to agree that this is one of my major fears as well, especially when considering how shallow, buggy and limited Sims 4 is in relation to previous Sims games. Looks great but plays meh. Definitely not interesting or captivating the way previous sims were. I have always tried to play Sims 4 as it’s own new game, but I keep finding myself going back to previous Sims for decent gameplay. I am seriously concerned about multiplayer as well. My game is my game and I’m not interested in having others come into it. Had enough of that when I shared a game with my kids.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »
    Pheeeeewwwwww. I thought they learned the lesson from the way Sims 4 started. There are two new competitors on the scene. I hope they are not making a decision that will ruin the franchise forever. If it is multiplayer in any way, I will not buy it. I like creating my own stories not have people barge into my stories. Thanks but no thanks.

Again the multilater is completely optional.
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    The issue is not whether it's optional or not, the issue us how it impacts the rest of the game. What does it take away from the single player aspect? Because it's simply not possible to have both parts fully fleshed out fully, something has to give to make it work.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    edited August 2023
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    The issue is not whether it's optional or not, the issue us how it impacts the rest of the game. What does it take away from the single player aspect? Because it's simply not possible to have both parts fully fleshed out fully, something has to give to make it work.

That's definitely not true.Have you play a game called stardew valley ? They have a single player and optional multiplayer mode.Nothing was taken away from the main game.Multiplayer is not a different game entirely.Its the same game with a different mode.
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,400 Member
    edited August 2023
    My perspective is that in the (imaginary, untrue) hypothetical that the Sims 5 is created to be single-player, there is a low probability that EAxis releases a fully fleshed-out base game with charm, attention-to-detail, and that feels like a natural continuation of Sims 1, 2, and 3.

In the (actual) scenario that EAxis has to make a single-player base game AND all of the multiplayer /cross-platform/mobile elements, that probability of success is even lower.

He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464