The final, special edition of the Friday Highlights has been posted here. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

So is Supernatural working on Macs??

Comments

• Options
    TheIceKing001TheIceKing001 Posts: 8
    edited September 2012
    I'm having Supernatural issues. The game was running for the kids without issue, but Supernatural.
    My Specs:

Processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
    Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB
    Software OS X 10.8.1
    MacBook Pro Early 2011

The hard drive shows 678.47 GB free out of 749.3 GB

If I am missing something for the specs, then let me know...
  • Options
    QueenDivettaQueenDivetta Posts: 1,332 Member
    edited September 2012
    What issues exactly are you having?
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Sorry forgot that part...
    The game will start without any issues... However, when he the kids go to save and quit the game will crash. If it doesn't crash, then the screen just goes completely black. I thought it might be the memory or something. Could it possibly be that I have upgraded the kids laptop to Mountain Lion?
    There are no CC / mods in the kids games. I really don't know what could be causing it. They only play when it is raining outside or just weekends after soccer practice / football practice.
    Oh, what is up with Sims website... OMG sluggish and slow...
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I'm beginning to suspect that Mountain Lion is having some issues, as that seems to be a common denominator. I remember there were issues on Lion when it first came out, too. Eventually (although it took two or three month AFTER the OS was released) a patch came out that fixed the issues. It took them so long, in fact, that I actually partitioned my computer so I could keep half of it on Snow Leopard simply for my Sims games. It's a pain in the you-know-what, but it worked. Now I just run everything on Lion.

If you're sick of having issues, you can try partitioning your computer to run the game on Lion and everything else on Mountain Lion. I posted instructions on how to do that a few comments back.

It sucks that we have to come up with our own solutions to EA's problems.........
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Thanks a million. I will look for the instructions on how to do that... I am savvy on some stuff, but not everything... This should keep the kids happy for the moment...
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    No problem, glad to help! :)
  • Options
    Stella-Leigh123Stella-Leigh123 Posts: 3
    edited September 2012
    Mine just spits out the CD. I cant even install it :(
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    No problem, glad to help! :)
    How long did it take to do the partition? Any suggestions on how much hard drive space? I hope I'm saying the right words?
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Mine just spits out the CD. I cant even install it :(

This could actually be an issue with your computer itself. Mine does the same thing every once in a while, but with any CD, not just Sims games. I googled it, and apparently it can be a problem with your CD drive. If it's too bad, you may have to get it replaced (which is quite pricey, I'm told). But first, google the problem and people have posted a couple of possible fixes in Mac forums and things.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    How long did it take to do the partition? Any suggestions on how much hard drive space? I hope I'm saying the right words?

It doesn't take long to do... maybe 20-30 minutes total (not including Sims game installation time, as that can vary), following the instructions I gave? How much hard drive space you partition just depends on how big yours it to start with. What I suggest is counting up the space needed for all of you Sims games and EPs, SPs, etc. first. If you don't know where to find it, look on the back of each box under "Macintosh System Requirements" after Hard Drive, which should be big and bolded. It'll say something like "At least 3.5 GB of free space" (that came right from the Supernatural box). Count up the GB needed from all of the Sims games, EPs and SPs you have. This varies for every person, obviously. Then add about 2 GB to the total for saved games and any CC or Sims store content you have. Finally, add about 3-5 GB (to be on the safe side) for each new EP you expect to get in the future (I try to assume for now that there will be 10 EPs total, with a SP in between each).

Once you have this total, that's what I would partition. If you have a super large hard drive, you can add a few extra GBs for buffer space just in case. If not, what I wrote above should cover you for now!
  • Options
    edited September 2012

It doesn't take long to do... maybe 20-30 minutes total (not including Sims game installation time, as that can vary), following the instructions I gave? How much hard drive space you partition just depends on how big yours it to start with. What I suggest is counting up the space needed for all of you Sims games and EPs, SPs, etc. first. If you don't know where to find it, look on the back of each box under "Macintosh System Requirements" after Hard Drive, which should be big and bolded. It'll say something like "At least 3.5 GB of free space" (that came right from the Supernatural box). Count up the GB needed from all of the Sims games, EPs and SPs you have. This varies for every person, obviously. Then add about 2 GB to the total for saved games and any CC or Sims store content you have. Finally, add about 3-5 GB (to be on the safe side) for each new EP you expect to get in the future (I try to assume for now that there will be 10 EPs total, with a SP in between each).

Once you have this total, that's what I would partition. If you have a super large hard drive, you can add a few extra GBs for buffer space just in case. If not, what I wrote above should cover you for now!

My kids want to thank you. The partition worked and simple (thank goodness I am on vacation and nothing blew up). They said the game runs a smoother and now they have something to play when we go to LA in a few months. Again, I thank you as well as the kids...
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    My kids want to thank you. The partition worked and simple (thank goodness I am on vacation and nothing blew up). They said the game runs a smoother and now they have something to play when we go to LA in a few months. Again, I thank you as well as the kids...

Oh good! I'm so glad! You (and they) are very welcome. So happy it worked out for you all! I hope they enjoy it :)
  • Options
    BethieBethie Posts: 19 Member
    edited September 2012
    Mac OS X
    Version 10.8
    Processor 2.3 GHZ intel Core i7
    Memory 4 gb 1333Mhz DDr3
    Startup Disk Mac HD
    Graphics amd radeon HD 6750 M 1024 MB
    Software Mac Os X Mountain Lion OS X 10.8 (12A256)

Supernatural doesn't work for me. I've uninstalled, erased everything related to the game - reinstalled. Quit everything in the background, installed and reinstalled patches. Talked to EA help four times.... but every time I go into create-a-sim it blinks back to desktop.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Bethie wrote:
    Mac OS X
    Version 10.8
    Processor 2.3 GHZ intel Core i7
    Memory 4 gb 1333Mhz DDr3
    Startup Disk Mac HD
    Graphics amd radeon HD 6750 M 1024 MB
    Software Mac Os X Mountain Lion OS X 10.8 (12A256)

Supernatural doesn't work for me. I've uninstalled, erased everything related to the game - reinstalled. Quit everything in the background, installed and reinstalled patches. Talked to EA help four times.... but every time I go into create-a-sim it blinks back to desktop.

I see you're running mountain lion. You might need to look into a partition until EA comes out with a patch for the new OS. The same thing happened last summer when Lion first came out.

See my conversation/ instructions above with TheIceKing001, it worked for him!
  • Options
    poundpuppy2001poundpuppy2001 Posts: 546 Member
    edited September 2012
    My only question is what about a 2010 white macbook running lion?
    I don't have enough space to partition the drive. - it seems like a drastic measure anyway. Mountain lion can't be a common link because I don't have it
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I don't think, by any means, that Mountain Lion is the ONLY common denominator. But partitioning to Lion has been successful for quite a few people who were having issues with the game on Mountain Lion, by looking around this forum a bit. Yes, it seems drastic, but when EA doesn't come out with a patch for months, people start to look for an alternative.

Not sure why you are having issues specifically. Were you having issues before Supernatural?
  • Options
    SimNowSimNow Posts: 222 Member
    edited September 2012
    I'm running with all the expansion packs, stuff packs, a large amount of store items, plus all the worlds (except one LL) and so far it's not so bad. I'm having some issues with CAS but I was having them before and some lag which is a touch annoying but nothing new major at all. I'm running a mid 2011 iMac with Lion.

I'm also hoping the new clothing filters I've heard are coming with Seasons will help with the CAS issues.

Oh and I forgot I managed to play the game for a good hour with testingcheatsenabled true and buydebug on which is the longest I've managed for months.

You can get rid of all the supernaturals using it, it's wonderful, no more flippin vampires.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    SimNow, what are these clothing filters you are talking about? What do they do?
  • Options
    SimNowSimNow Posts: 222 Member
    edited September 2012
    I think they are like the folders that separate the content by game or xp.

I've often wondered if the issues with cas come from the game having to build up such a large library of items, so hopefully if we limit what the game has to do it might work better.

At least that was my understanding of them, I could be totally wrong.
  • Options
    poundpuppy2001poundpuppy2001 Posts: 546 Member
    edited September 2012
    http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_Bypassing_the_Launcher
    Fixed: On both my mid 2010 macbook pro running mountain Lion and my partners white macbook running lion. When my partner tried to run supernatural on their macbook, it would get to the menu then come up saying no disk entered. When it obviously was. Bypassing the launcher was the only way I could find that fixed it. Even a no CD Patch didn't work.
  • Options
    Selene_xxSelene_xx Posts: 133 Member
    edited September 2012
    I'm running Mountain Lion on a Late 2009 White unibody Macbook with 4GB memory and a NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB graphics card.

I've got all EP's and SP's installed save for WA and Sweet Treats with several mods and some CC and my game runs perfectly fine. I will say that I've been one of the luckier mac users in that I've rarely had a problem with my game. I think the only time I had issues was when Pets was first released but any issues have cleared up since then.

Hope that helps?
  • Options
    Minty2007Minty2007 Posts: 1 New Member
    edited September 2012
    I installed Supernatural on my mac a few days ago but when ever I try to play, it fails to authorise the disk when it is in the drive and the computer itself has recognised the disk (appears on the desktop). Its the only expansion I have on my mac and didnt have a problem authorising the base game disk before I installed SN v.v I have it installed on my home computer and havnt had any problems.
    My mac is also having an issue downloading the plants vs zombies items. The fan pack downloaded and installed without problems but when ever I try to download the one which inclues the pea shooter, either when the download is finished or sometime half way it comes up with an error :L
  • Options
    DestinysCreaturesDestinysCreatures Posts: 1,025 Member
    edited September 2012
    I haven't read the whole thread so don't know about anyone else I am on a 2011 I-Mac. I have a large amount of hard drive space and memory, have run into this before with PETS. When I got pets, it worked for 2 weeks in my MAC, then when I put in the disc it would not read it, and spit it out? Thought odd, it had been working, but never would read again. Got MS worked, fine. enter Showtime again new disc same computer, spits out?

My husband has a mini MAC and my daughter a MAC Book Pro, works fine on there's no problem but on my computer would not. Was afraid it would happen again... Enter Supernatural. Again when bought disc, placed in would not read, spit it out? My husband put it his computer worked fine. Keep in mind if I place MS back in works. I was very upset spend a lot of money on SIMS was looking forward to SPN, my husband thankfully is a programmer and a tech so he finally got it to work but if I take out again won't read, spits out????

I think EA should understand that when you make these games cross platform they should work for BOTH, not one. Sad but for me the Sims has lost it's appeal after LN and all the issues, also three I can't even play because of this Showtime, will not work, PETS stopped working I wouldn't try with other 2 SP, because of this. I contacted support as usual they where no help.

BELIEVE ME, we are not all blessed with programmers or tech people at home thankful for my husband he got it to work for me. I am not pleased with the huge amount of bugs like LN it certainly makes me rethink wanting seasons, can't afford all these games that will not read in my computer, there is nothing wrong with the CD drive, nothing we made sure, strange to me it will play MS but as for rest LOL good luck it is hit or miss, sadly disappointed that when they release these they do not make sure they work for everyone, never understand why they say beloved MAC when I feel no love from EA :wink:
  • Options
    shesclassyshesclassy Posts: 477 Member
    edited September 2012
    Haven't yet bought SN but I do have the most recent update and I'm actually getting fewer exception raised errors- which is to say, none in approximately eight hours of play. Knock on wood.
  • Options
    frankieismylifefrankieismylife Posts: 14
    edited September 2012
    Hi, I've posted on a few of these forums but it seems only this one is coming up with any fixes.

Mine has been working perfectly for weeks on end and suddenly it's started crashing when I've selected my family to load up. But now when it's almost finished loading the town it crashes right back to my desktop every single time. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling as well still didn't work.

Does anyone know whats going on??
    Post edited by Unknown User on