The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

♦10/27/11 - Update for those with Deformed Pets/Graphic Issues - Please Read

A few days back, I asked SimGuruGraham on Twitter about the deformed Pets, using this thread as reference. Today he replied with factual information regarding the issue. See his post here.

Few notes on this... Yes, those types of issues are indicative of a problem with the graphics card (or integrated chip). For those people attempting to play on unsupported graphics cards who see permanently deformed pets, this will not see improvement with any future game update - Sims 3 requires a certain level of hardware to display properly.

We are investigating graphical issues that specifically impact players that use an officially supported graphics card, but I don't have any specifics I can share regarding that at this time.

The issue with pets momentarily warping/deforming and immediately correcting themselves afterward is separate, unrelated to pets that consistently look wrong.

Comments

• Options
    sereia8sereia8 Posts: 2,333 New Member
    edited October 2011
    What about non fluffy pets....
  • Options
    SimsVIP_AdminSimsVIP_Admin Posts: 1,091 Member
    edited October 2011
    sereia8 wrote:
    What about non fluffy pets....

I will assume he included this issue when he stated the following:
    We are investigating graphical issues that specifically impact players that use an officially supported graphics card, but I don't have any specifics I can share regarding that at this time.
  • Options
    sereia8sereia8 Posts: 2,333 New Member
    edited October 2011
    That's good news, IMO.
  • Options
    ArlettaArletta Posts: 8,444 Member
    edited October 2011
    *ducks for cover*
  • Options
    Louis_The_XIIILouis_The_XIII Posts: 974 New Member
    edited October 2011
    Yes, those types of issues are indicative of a problem with the graphics card (or integrated chip).For those people attempting to play on unsupported graphics cards who see permanently deformed pets, this will not see improvement with any future game update - Sims 3 requires a certain level of hardware to display properly.

Now is this proof enough for everyone? Permanently deformed pets will not get an update and its a graphics card issue. Directly confrimed by an EA/Sims game developer.

*Ducks for cover with Arletta* :lol:

• Options
    LittleVLittleV Posts: 8,565 Member
    edited October 2011
    Yes, those types of issues are indicative of a problem with the graphics card (or integrated chip).For those people attempting to play on unsupported graphics cards who see permanently deformed pets, this will not see improvement with any future game update - Sims 3 requires a certain level of hardware to display properly.

Now is this proof enough for everyone? Permanently deformed pets will not get an update and its a graphics card issue. Directly confrimed by an EA/Sims game developer.

*Ducks for cover with Arletta* :lol:

Makes sense, since not all computers/hardware are created equally, nor is it possible for a company to make a graphically demanding game work on EVERY system that exists. That's just impossible.
  • Options
    cannibaleyescannibaleyes Posts: 350 New Member
    edited October 2011
    Hopefully the "no fluff" thing is included in what he was talking about, since so far everyone I've heard of that has that issue (including me) have graphic cards that are supposed to be supported.

Hopefully the fluff thing isn't considered to be "permanently deformed". I'm hoping that by deformed he means the completely glitched-out buggy-eyed monstrosities that some people are seeing, and not just the fluff.

..Then again, I'm being very selfish because I has the no fluff issue but no other issues, so I just want it to be fixed for me. xD
  • Options
    alasana4lifealasana4life Posts: 24
    edited October 2011
    on the box it said my graphic card is supported and upgraded. does this mean that theyll fix it for me D:
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    on the box it said my graphic card is supported and upgraded. does this mean that theyll fix it for me D:
    Most likely, but what is your card?
  • Options
    XxDespairAngelxXXxDespairAngelxX Posts: 144 Member
    edited October 2011
    I really want to know what this whole crashing thing is about. My graphics card is supposed to be supported as well. Nvidia Geforce G210.
    Gallery: minimeg1718
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I really want to know what this whole crashing thing is about. My graphics card is supposed to be supported as well. Nvidia Geforce G210.

The G210 is a poor performing card that has known issues. As far as I know it is not supported.

Crashing is a separate issue than what this thread relates to, so maybe try DEP http://bit.ly/uXuSU3
  • Options
    wingedkittenwingedkitten Posts: 101 New Member
    edited October 2011
    I think people are also forgetting, or do not realize, that "supported" does not necessarily mean that you will be able to play Sims perfectly (good settings). As long as it can run it, it is supported. Upgrade your computer if you want to play it how it was made to be played. *shrug*
  • Options
    SumoBSumoB Posts: 1,217 Member
    edited October 2011
    Hopefully the "no fluff" thing is included in what he was talking about, since so far everyone I've heard of that has that issue (including me) have graphic cards that are supposed to be supported.

Hopefully the fluff thing isn't considered to be "permanently deformed". I'm hoping that by deformed he means the completely glitched-out buggy-eyed monstrosities that some people are seeing, and not just the fluff.

..Then again, I'm being very selfish because I has the no fluff issue but no other issues, so I just want it to be fixed for me. xD

Hopefully they'll fix this! XD

Yeah I know what you mean about the selfish part, I feel the same. I don't have those deformed pets, I can play at high settings everything is perfect but I just want them to fix that fur!! Please! :D
  • Options
    ShinobuTypeErrorShinobuTypeError Posts: 2,838 Member
    edited October 2011
    Lol, FINALLY. Now people can stop freaking out and insisting that it isn't their graphics card. This needs to stay on the front page. A Guru should Sticky this to curtail the dozens of OMG IT'S NOT MY CARD threads that keep popping up.

I'm certain that the "no fluff" thing is what he is referring to when he talks of a graphical issue that they are investigating, since it primarily seems to be affecting people using newer, supported ATI cards. Some people using Nvidia cards have seen improvement after installing the latest driver that came out on 10/24 - so anybody reading this that hasn't yet tried that, you may want to.
    "It's like there's a pink elephant in the room and no one's allowed to talk about it."
  • Options
    ShadowsEmberShadowsEmber Posts: 421 New Member
    edited October 2011
    Thanks for repeating this information; I'm happy to finally see something official about this. I've been coming on to the forums for the past few days over the graphical errors, but was attempting to avoid the arguments.

I'm not trying to brag or anything, but I have a supported gaming gpu that can handle far more graphically intense games than TS3 with max settings across the board. By today's standards (and even when the base game came out) TS3 has pretty meh graphics, so I found it hard to believe that my card wasn't capable of rendering a few pets.

I have the "occasional" deformity problem, which to me, looks like an animation glitch. For example, my cat deformed when attempting to jump down from a counter. It was almost like it was attempting to take on a human shape. Another time, I saw the unicorn and it had some odd stretching when it was doing certain animations. I wasn't paying too much attention at the time, but it seemed like the glitch only happened when I was zoomed out to a certain level. Of course, that could have just been because it was performing a certain action at those moments.

I also feel like the fur isn't overly "poofy" and my pets just look blocky. To be honest, I thought that was just EA skimping on the graphics haha. Then again, I haven't seen a picture of what others perceive to be a glitch; perhaps my own pets are quite fluffy in comparison. Does anyone have a picture of these "fat" pets? Or a forum link to some?

Oh, one more thing... Has anyone noticed that when playing as a pet, the eyes are sort of messed up when selecting an action from the pop-up menu? When I say messed up, I mean that the iris area has some scattered, "see-through," black spots. I haven't actually played as a pet other than that one time, but that's what I saw when I did.
  • Options
    cannibaleyescannibaleyes Posts: 350 New Member
    edited October 2011
    I think people are also forgetting, or do not realize, that "supported" does not necessarily mean that you will be able to play Sims perfectly (good settings). As long as it can run it, it is supported. Upgrade your computer if you want to play it how it was made to be played. *shrug*
    Okay... I used to run the sims on my old computer, which was actually NOT supported. Yet, it actually DID run. It was horribly slow and the graphics were mediocre, but it ran, so it would have been considered "supported" by your definition. ..Although clearly, it wasn't supported according to what EA printed on the box. -.-

I think the mere "ability to run the game" is not really what is meant by supported... I think that "supported" means (or should mean) able to run at a decent speed and decent graphics. True, higher-end computers with more memory and better graphic cards will run it on a higher-quality level than the machines with minimum requirements, but the game should at least have decent quality graphics on all of the "supported" graphic cards, IMO.

My graphics in the Sims 3 have been great except for the no-fluff issue.
  • Options
    ShinobuTypeErrorShinobuTypeError Posts: 2,838 Member
    edited October 2011
    Bumping this. ;P
    "It's like there's a pink elephant in the room and no one's allowed to talk about it."
  • Options
    albaniealbanie Posts: 584 Member
    edited October 2011
    I'm fine with it, it's about time our PC needed a graphics upgrade. Just the right time! Shame I have to pay for it myself though, still :D
    You never forget the face of the person who was your last hope - The Hunger Games.
    Banana! - Minions
  • Options
    DruscyllaDruscylla Posts: 2,532 Member
    edited October 2011
    I am glad we finally got some clarification for both sides of the argument, because the fights over it are out of hand. I have an ATI Radeon HD 4870 which while being one of the older nice cards that can run Sims 3 (as well as my other games) extremely well is one of the top listed cards for Sims 3. My game looks stunning since I upgraded to this card. My pets fur looks fluffy but I have the stretching issue as well. But people were confusing this issue for the permanent deformations others were seeing. My cat occasionally looks like some kind of spider-cat from my nightmares for about a sec and then reverts back and I don't see it again for a long time. My laptop also has this issue.

I am extremely glad they are fixing these issues, sorry to those fighting for their underpowered cards though =/
    meow_zpsa650c518.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    LittleV wrote:
    radeon x1200
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    LittleV wrote:
    radeon x1200
    Unfortunately that is not a supported card. The lowest one supported is the X1300
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    LittleV wrote:
    LittleV wrote:
    radeon x1200
    Unfortunately that is not a supported card. The lowest one supported is the X1300

no on the box it said it is and i called like 4 people at the ea hotline and they said it was supported.
  • Options
    edited October 2011

no on the box it said it is and i called like 4 people at the ea hotline and they said it was supported.

http://www.thesims3.com/game/systemreq

• Options
    ShadowsEmberShadowsEmber Posts: 421 New Member
    edited October 2011
    I just went through most of the pages of the "My Pets Have No Fluff" topic and sigh.. it appears as though I definitely have this problem as well.

I'd hope it's all related and solved with a simple patch.. but I'm not delusional. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2011

http://www.thesims3.com/game/systemreq

how much would it cost to get a new card