Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 on Mac won't start up?

Hi everyone,
I just added the new update to my Sims 3 game on my Mac and it didn't seem to do anything, and now when I try to start the game the blue screen with plumbob comes up briefly then disappears and the game doesn't open. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Monique

Comments

• Options
    LornaK93LornaK93 Posts: 2
    edited June 2011
    It's the same for me. :/ I'm hoping for another update as soon as.
  • Options
    TwilightbuddyTwilightbuddy Posts: 3
    edited June 2011
    The same thing happened to me. I have a Mac and when I updated my game, the launcher would no longer start up. I need some answers! Does anyone know how to fix this? :evil:
  • Options
    SaveMeHITZSaveMeHITZ Posts: 6
    edited June 2011
    we just have to wait for another update from them to fix this...i'm having the exact same problem
  • Options
    Kat1Kat1 Posts: 120 New Member
    edited June 2011
    It seems I'm not the only one having this problem :( When I click on the icon the launcher won't start up. How long do you think it will be until a new patch is released to fix this?
  • Options
    tdinsmoretdinsmore Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    I'm having the exact same problem
  • Options
    jellybeans363jellybeans363 Posts: 4
    edited June 2011
    Im having the same problem too on my Mac.
  • Options
    LornaK93LornaK93 Posts: 2
    edited June 2011
    I just found this in the mac forum. and it worked for me!

You can try manually applying the Base Game patch which should hopefully resolve your issue.

The download can be found here:
    US DVD Version: http://llnet.thesims.cdn.ea.com/sims/u/f/sims3/mac/To-6135-1.22.9.011001.tgz

Europe DVD Version: http://llnet.thesims.cdn.ea.com/sims/u/f/sims3/mac/To-6135-1.22.9.011002.tgz

Digital Download Version: http://llnet.thesims.cdn.ea.com/sims/u/f/sims3/mac/To-6135-1.22.9.011017.tgz

Once downloaded, double-click the downloaded file. The file will extract and then you will run the update. Point the update at The Sims 3 app and it will apply.

just make sure you use it on the original sims three. it gives you the option to find it :) hope it works for you too!
  • Options
    angelfox22angelfox22 Posts: 27
    edited June 2011
    Same problem here as well.
  • Options
    Heartburn1220Heartburn1220 Posts: 3 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Yeah! thanks LornaK93. You are my hero! I'm gonna name my next sim after you. :P
  • Options
    lilrunningbacklilrunningback Posts: 167 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Same issue. I click on the Late Night launcher bubble, and the Base Game bubble pops up saying it's loading, but then disappears and nothing happens. Thoroughly annoyed and disappointed.
  • Options
    SimGuruBrentSimGuruBrent Posts: 1,025 Member
    edited June 2011
    LornaK93 wrote:
    I just found this in the mac forum. and it worked for me!

You can try manually applying the Base Game patch which should hopefully resolve your issue.

US DVD Version: http://llnet.thesims.cdn.ea.com/sims/u/f/sims3/mac/To-6135-1.22.9.011001.tgz

Europe DVD Version: http://llnet.thesims.cdn.ea.com/sims/u/f/sims3/mac/To-6135-1.22.9.011002.tgz

Digital Download Version: http://llnet.thesims.cdn.ea.com/sims/u/f/sims3/mac/To-6135-1.22.9.011017.tgz

Once downloaded, double-click the downloaded file. The file will extract and then you will run the update. Point the update at The Sims 3 app and it will apply.

just make sure you use it on the original sims three. it gives you the option to find it :) hope it works for you too!

Thank you for posting this! Please try the method listed above by LornaK93 to see if it will alleviate your issue. This will ensure your Base Game is fully up to date.
  • Options
    albannapoleonalbannapoleon Posts: 440 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Hold it, did I just read correctly that we have to run the original base game??? That does me no good since I am in Egypt with my current Ambitions CD and my base game in is the US.

Why did they send us the patch if we have to go through all this stuff that Lorna posted.

This just frustrates me since I am no techno genius and I just want to play the game. EA should send out a patch to fix this right away. Or have not given us this update if it doesn't work properly.

• Options
    katemcfkatemcf Posts: 16
    edited June 2011
    Hold it, did I just read correctly that we have to run the original base game??? That does me no good since I am in Egypt with my current Ambitions CD and my base game in is the US.

Why did they send us the patch if we have to go through all this stuff that Lorna posted.

This just frustrates me since I am no techno genius and I just want to play the game. EA should send out a patch to fix this right away. Or have not given us this update if it doesn't work properly.

I second this, I don't wanna have to go through some long winded solution, when it's not our fault it happened :( I'm not techno enough to understand that stuff, I just wanted to play the game!
  • Options
    RogowskiRogowski Posts: 27
    edited June 2011
    i was having this same problem last night when i updated the game so this morning when i still couldnt find anything to help i just unistalled all my sims 3 eps and sps (since i wasnt all that attached to my familys or anything) and reinstalled them. its working now but i didnt download the most recent update again.
  • Options
    DAFoxGirl16DAFoxGirl16 Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    I had the same exact problem. I had to reinstall everything and I couldn't find some of my expansion packs since I just moved back from my dorm so not all of it is reinstalled yet. I'm very upset with this update and this is the first time I've ever had any problems with sims on my Mac. I think that they need to make sure that the update works on ALL operating systems that the Sims 3 can be played before saying 'hey update this'. Then we wouldn't be having this problem. I apologize if I seem rude, but I'm not a happy camper because I spent most of my day yesterday trying to correct an update that messed up my game.
  • Options
    RogowskiRogowski Posts: 27
    edited June 2011
    I had the same exact problem. I had to reinstall everything and I couldn't find some of my expansion packs since I just moved back from my dorm so not all of it is reinstalled yet. I'm very upset with this update and this is the first time I've ever had any problems with sims on my Mac. I think that they need to make sure that the update works on ALL operating systems that the Sims 3 can be played before saying 'hey update this'. Then we wouldn't be having this problem. I apologize if I seem rude, but I'm not a happy camper because I spent most of my day yesterday trying to correct an update that messed up my game.

I feel the exact same way. I we all love to play the games but if something that is supposed to help our games actually causes them to stop working we should be able to get upset. :cry: lol

Just saying :wink:
  • Options
    EthanMich2007EthanMich2007 Posts: 37 New Member
    edited June 2011
    I'm having the same issue, my started when I updated the game from the popup window when first opening the launcher. I am trying that link now.
  • Options
    krazyamykrazyamy Posts: 55
    edited June 2011
    I've been patiently updating, downloading, patching for 20 hours now... and it seems like im done! is version 4.9.5 the last one?

Also have a ambitions bubble icon on my dock, that does nothing.... and its bugging me...
  • Options
    tw89tw89 Posts: 2
    edited June 2011
    Same issue here :(

If I download that suggested base game patch, will I have to install my expansion packs again? Only got my Late Night exp with me, the rest are at home.

Don't know if I should just wait for Generations to be released or to download the base game patch : /

>.<
  • Options
    caspinwallcaspinwall Posts: 916 Member
    edited June 2011
    Fear not! If you download the patch manually from the link the guru posted, then patch the base game, that doesn't mean you can only play the base game. I've got everything up to OLS and can play no problem. Once you are patched you'll be able to play as normal. No need to reinstall either. Have just done this on my Mac and it worked fine. Good luck all!
    GeneralSig_SF_03.png
  • Options
    tw89tw89 Posts: 2
    edited June 2011
    Oh ok cool :D

Thanks!
  • Options
    VicadaVicada Posts: 6 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Thanks so much to Lorna and OP, this is my first problem with the game since converting to mac! lol and your advise worked-missed a whole day of simming but we got there in the end...!

Cheers guys :)
  • Options
    Pirategirl87Pirategirl87 Posts: 1 New Member
    edited June 2011
    Thanks so much! I had contacted EA customer service and all they could say was they were "working on the problem...be patient."

You are a super sim lifesaver for sure!!

Danielle
  • Options
    albannapoleonalbannapoleon Posts: 440 New Member
    edited June 2011
    I contacted EA customer service too and was given a patch for windows (eventhough I told them I was a on a Mac). Then was given the same patch that LornaK posted and the Guru confirmed to work. It took 1.5 hours to download (I'm in Egypt) and then it was slow to start with, but seems to have done the trick so far.

So my best advice is to use the patch that was given by the LornaK and good luck everyone.

Here again is the information (Thanks LornaK):
    US DVD Version:
    http://llnet.thesims.cdn.ea.com/sims/u/f/sims3/mac/To-6135-1.22.9.011001.tgz

Europe DVD Version:
    http://llnet.thesims.cdn.ea.com/sims/u/f/sims3/mac/To-6135-1.22.9.011002.tgz

Digital Download Version:
    http://llnet.thesims.cdn.ea.com/sims/u/f/sims3/mac/To-6135-1.22.9.011017.tgz

(edited because the links didn't come out correctly - they should be the correct ones now)

• Options
    Kkc118Kkc118 Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    What is the difference between the us and the europe dvd versions?
    Will installing the wrong patch cause any problems?