Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Twinbrook's Next Top Fashion Designer - Cycle 1

Comments

• Options
    BryonyRaeBryonyRae Posts: 5,181 Member
    edited September 2010
    Erja888 wrote:
    Challenge 5 is really hard.
    My creativity is gone, gone, gone, gone...
    It just seems to me that I can do one thing: Either I make my fashion icon look fashion forward or I make her recognisable, but in her old look. Putting both ideas together just makes her look boring, boring, boring. :x

Are other designers having same problems?

This is a tough challenge, but there's plenty of time yet to come up with a look that works for you. :) I would recommend researching your icon to understand what role they played in the fashion of their day, and of course nothing beats looking at images of what they wore and how they were styled. Take that, and then think about what they might do in today's world. Or another approach might be to try to distill down to the essence(s) of the fashion style they had then and identify the same or similar elements in today's fashions without going overboard. Don't feel like you have to be extremely literal with everything.

I think there are lots of different ways to attack this one, but I hope these comments may help those who are stymied at the moment.
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    TamlynTamlyn Posts: 295 Member
    edited September 2010
    Regarding ChoasMod: Keep in mind it can be very very slow - you might click on it, think it's doing nothing, and move away. Click, wait, and it might come up. I thought mine wasn't working for ages because of that, then I got distracted after I clicked on it one time :p

Regarding Assignment: Ugh. I think my main trouble with this is a lack of knowledge about current fashions! (A strange thing to admit to when I'm doing this competition, I know :P). I can look up my person easily enough, but I don't know where to go from there xD
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Tamlyn wrote:
    Regarding ChoasMod: Keep in mind it can be very very slow - you might click on it, think it's doing nothing, and move away. Click, wait, and it might come up. I thought mine wasn't working for ages because of that, then I got distracted after I clicked on it one time :p

Regarding Assignment: Ugh. I think my main trouble with this is a lack of knowledge about current fashions! (A strange thing to admit to when I'm doing this competition, I know :P). I can look up my person easily enough, but I don't know where to go from there xD

One place I can point you is Project Runway, the show that was our inspiration for this competition. It's currently in the midst of a cycle and is on Lifetime every Thursday. The web site is here. There are tons of sites out there devoted to fashion. A few I like are: Fashionising, Vogue, and style.com. Perhaps one of them will give you inspiration. :)
    Visit my blog to see my creations: http://bryscreations.wordpress.com or search the gallery by my OriginID or #bryscreations
  • Options
    jmelo777jmelo777 Posts: 433 Member
    edited September 2010
    Don't forget SF Magazine! It just so happens that issue 5 is out today!

ISSUE5_redCarepet2_ON.jpg

SF Magazine

SF Magazine Forum Thread

Psst...There's a nice little surprise on page 22. Our very own TNT model Athena Bond was caught on the Red Carpet hanging with Challenge 1 judge and Strike a Pose Co-Founder and Judge, Dr. Musix, and some of the SAP models from SAP Cycle III. Atta girl Athena for flaunting your stuff at SIFF and getting some publicity for TNT!!
  • Options
    FishGirl4FishGirl4 Posts: 4,415 New Member
    edited September 2010
    I'm in love with this competition if I don't join next cycle I might just die.

And this issue is my favorite yet ^_^
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    We're looking forward to seeing you next cycle FishGirl! I agree with you on SF Magazine, it just keeps getting better and better with each issue! :mrgreen:
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    That was a great issue! My jaw dropped when I saw how gorgeous my Meg looked. :D Loved your work in it, JMelo - your guys were smokin'! Definitely lots of great fashion inspiration in there.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Thanks Bryony :oops: I actually considered using Meg in the SIFF Red Carpet shoot, but since I'd already used her in my first set of Red Carpet photos, and you used her as well in the shutterbugs challenge....I decided not to. Oh yeah...plus she was already being used by SimEve in the Fashion as Art spread, lol.
  • Options
    Sun2401Sun2401 Posts: 4,992 Member
    edited September 2010
    Wow, thanks for the heads up about the SF mag, Athena looks gorgeous and I would of never recognized Maueen If you didn't say something :oops: BryonRae, Meg always looks beautiful! :)

I have quite a few of the outfits featured in the magazine, I love to see what other people do with them, it is an inspiration.

The issue was absolutely amazing!!!
  • Options
    SmozzigoldSmozzigold Posts: 2,180
    edited September 2010
    What if my shots are taken on the old runway?
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Smozzigold wrote:
    What if my shots are taken on the old runway?

You may use whichever version of the TNT Studio you prefer.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Just want to give you guys a heads up. I am leaving to go away for my brother's wedding on Thursday, Sept.30 and returning Monday Oct. 4. I will not have access to my computer. Granting I make it to the next round
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Sun2401 wrote:
    Just want to give you guys a heads up. I am leaving to go away for my brother's wedding on Thursday, Sept.30 and returning Monday Oct. 4. I will not have access to my computer. Granting I make it to the next round

Have fun Sun! What does the fine print say??? Too small for me to read, lol :shock:
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Sun2401 wrote:

Depending on whether extensions are requested, we'll be wrapping up this challenge on the 22nd - 23rd and judging on the 24th-25th, so in all likelihood, the next challenge will be issued on the 26th. That would give you 4 days...think it might be enough? If not, and we get closer to the 30th, just let me know. We'll work something out. :)
  • Options
    Erja888Erja888 Posts: 4,840 Member
    edited September 2010
    Sent! :)
    I'd love to see a singing career in game, EA! You can't let the singing skill go to waste! My TS4 EPs: GTW, GT, CL, C&D, S, GF, IL, DU, EL, SE, CoL, HSY, GrT, HR, FR GPs: OR, SD, DO, V, P, JA, SV, RoM, DHD, MWS
  • Options
    MSMcNeelySimsMSMcNeelySims Posts: 1,283 New Member
    edited September 2010
    I am going to have to drop out. I enjoy editing because I can make the pictures look amazing. I'm not happy with the way my photos look inside the studio. And I can't do anything to fix them. :(
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I am going to have to drop out. I enjoy editing because I can make the pictures look amazing. I'm not happy with the way my photos look inside the studio. And I can't do anything to fix them. :(

so sorry :( I think your pictures look pretty good!!
  • Options
    edited September 2010

Sorry to see you go, MsMcNeelySims. I think you have a good eye for fashion, and I saw a lot of potential in your simatography. I hope you'll find a good editing competition that you'll enjoy - best of luck! :)
  • Options
    TamlynTamlyn Posts: 295 Member
    edited September 2010
    Sent!

I ended up going with my original idea, hopefully it'll be considered within guidelines :S
  • Options
    Erja888Erja888 Posts: 4,840 Member
    edited September 2010

Sorry to see you go!
    I'd love to see a singing career in game, EA! You can't let the singing skill go to waste! My TS4 EPs: GTW, GT, CL, C&D, S, GF, IL, DU, EL, SE, CoL, HSY, GrT, HR, FR GPs: OR, SD, DO, V, P, JA, SV, RoM, DHD, MWS
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Tamlyn wrote:
    Sent!

I ended up going with my original idea, hopefully it'll be considered within guidelines :S

Tamlyn, I sent you an e-mail, but in case you check the forums first, we're just waiting on your 2nd picture - it didn't come through in the e-mail. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Pictures have been posted - view them here. I hope to have judging completed by 9/25 and your next assignment out to you by 9/26.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Wow, The pictures and designs are awesome :mrgreen: Wonderful job everybody!

As far as the next asignment coming out on the 26th, I am panicking. That gives me 3 days and I am working plus RL! I would hate to have to rush and end up getting eliminated. Even if I have an extension, it only gives me 1 day extra b/c I am coming back on that Sunday at midnight. :( I hope the assignment is an easy one!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Sun2401 wrote:
    Wow, The pictures and designs are awesome :mrgreen: Wonderful job everybody!

As far as the next asignment coming out on the 26th, I am panicking. That gives me 3 days and I am working plus RL! I would hate to have to rush and end up getting eliminated. Even if I have an extension, it only gives me 1 day extra b/c I am coming back on that Sunday at midnight. :( I hope the assignment is an easy one!

Don't panic. :) When the 30th rolls around, just send me an e-mail and let me know your status on the challenge. I realize that in a situation like this, you might need more than a one day extension; we'll make sure you get the time you need. On the other hand, maybe you'll be able to knock out the next challenge in record time - you never know. :wink:
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Scores and commentary for Challenge 5 have been posted and may be viewed here. Many thanks to our guest judge this week, WickedKnight! Congratulations to Angelique Benton, who had the top score!

As we had a drop, there will be no designer elimination this week, but we do have to say goodbye to one of our lovely models, Katarina Rosa - we'll miss you!

The next challenge has been issued, so check your inbox ASAP!