Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How Many Plan on Buying Paralives vs TS5?

Comments

• Options
    ZiafarZiafar Posts: 704 Member
    I don't know, I love Maxis, but I don't want a TS5 MMO and might have to jump ship and go with Steam's game.
    To be honest I do not really like the esthetic of the parafolks. They look like paper dolls
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,400 Member
    edited February 7
    I plan to buy both.
    Sims influencer Lilsimsie gushes over Paralives, offers feedback on the character models, and provides advice on why pitting the Sims against Paralives is counterproductive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY5lv_tTmLY
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I don't know, I love Maxis, but I don't want a TS5 MMO and might have to jump ship and go with Steam's game.
    Ziafar wrote: »
    To be honest I do not really like the esthetic of the parafolks. They look like paper dolls

Same! I didn't even watch the gameplay video because I can't handle the non-cohesive art style.

If you want to outline stuff, then outline EVERYTHING, not just the characters. It is so jarring to me, I don't care about any art style, as long as the entire game is the same art style.

That's like mixing a bunch of Alpha CC with super cartoony hand drawn Maxis Match stuff ..... it gives me a tick and I can't get past the look of things when it doesn't match and completely interrupts playing.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    I plan to buy both.
    I do like the look of it, they have come a long way. The animations and the interactions feels slower than the sims which I am not so sure about but there seems to be different choices that you can make when choosing how to progress your skills and relationships with your paras.

• Options
    suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    I haven't been a fan of the parafolk art style, but the lighter outline they implemented a bit ago is at least an improvement, and their movement in the gameplay video was smooth/nice, which improved my opinion. Didn't like the circles underfoot during group activities at all, though. Anything like that just ruins immersion for me, and I don't like it in any game, but particularly not in a life simulator.
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Options
    edited February 8
    I plan to buy both.
    Explanation on the free DLC model:

bad784xfm7hc1.png

He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    I plan to buy both.

bad784xfm7hc1.png

They really shouldn't promise this.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Other

bad784xfm7hc1.png

They probably will continue updating it as long as there are new customers bringing in new money. It also doesn't say how often they plan to release new updates. They are now working strictly from patreon donations, but I imagine once they start selling it they will receive a lot more money than they receive now, maybe that is incentive enough if the game becomes really popular.
  • Options
    I plan to buy both.
    crocobaura wrote: »

bad784xfm7hc1.png

They probably will continue updating it as long as there are new customers bringing in new money. It also doesn't say how often they plan to release new updates. They are now working strictly from patreon donations, but I imagine once they start selling it they will receive a lot more money than they receive now, maybe that is incentive enough if the game becomes really popular.

I don't think the sells will be enough forever or for a long period of time.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member

bad784xfm7hc1.png

It's a nice dream, and maybe they can pull it off - miracles do happen. But as I said, there will likely come a point when it's no longer sustainable. It may take years to get there - and I honestly hope it does - but eventually it will happen.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Other
    crocobaura wrote: »

bad784xfm7hc1.png

I don't think the sells will be enough forever or for a long period of time.

They don't have any sales now, just donations. Someone posted here some amounts they receive in donations monthly, based on their patreons and donations levels and it didn't seem like a huge amount. I suppose if they don't plan to become billionaires from this game, they will update it as long as there is interest and passion for it and they cover their development costs which are currently being met by the patreon donations.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    I plan to buy both.
    I think it's charming, looks fun to play, and I'll definitely get it when it releases. But it doesn't hit that sim spot for me

I'm curious about the DLC. Wonder if they'll release packs comparable to Sims SPs, GPs, and EPs. And how frequently. Or something smaller than a stuff pack (think SDX or Kit) but more frequently.
  • Options
    I plan to buy both.
    I definitely prefer this over Sims 4.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,881 Member
    I plan to buy both.
    Now why am I not surprised? 😄
  • Options
    EvvieSimmerEvvieSimmer Posts: 134 Member
    No, I'm going to stay with Maxis and wait to buy TS5 or whatever their new AAA game will be
    I'm extremelyyyy interested in this game. It looks so adorable and cozy and I am definitely here for it! I am concerned about the free dlc and expansions though. I wonder how they plan to fund all the new development if its all free? I'll deff be trying this game when their early access comes out
  • Options
    RoaringHeightsRoaringHeights Posts: 34 Member

Anything is better than The Sims 4.
    Simmer since 2012, The Sims 2, 3 & 4. Setup: i5 10400f, GTX 1650 SUPER, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD & Steam Deck
  • Options
    edited February 8
    I plan to buy both.
    In the most recent quarter, EA's Live Services made up a staggering 68% of net revenue while Full Game sales were only 32%. For EA, subscriptions and DLC is the money printer - this influences the business models of the studios.

Paralives is a ~10 person company with completely different financials. This is a perspective I saw on why a free DLC model could work for PL and why it wouldn't for The Sims. There's some editorializing and subjectivity here, but the core message is important:

b6n65psz9r78.png
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Yes, I plan on getting Paralives as soon as it's released (possible 2021)
    Truly the same and it's not even close to being early access there's so much to still look forward to like cars. The game has charm it reminds me of Sims 2 little details everywhere like the cafe has the sound of a bell ringing when you enter its door.

The group feature is so easy to use it gives us Get Together without being limited to a tiny portion of activities and allows anyone in the world. I like that unlike Sims 4 Paralives is not being built with limiting features in mind but instead giving us simple but fleshed out open sandbox game play instead of robotic you can only do this.

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    I plan to buy both.
    In the most recent quarter, EA's Live Services made up a staggering 68% of net revenue while Full Game sales were only 32%. For EA, subscriptions and DLC is the money printer - this influences the business models of the studios.

Paralives is a ~10 person company with completely different financials. This is a perspective I saw on why a free DLC model could work for PL and why it wouldn't for The Sims. There's some editorializing and subjectivity here, but the core message is important:

b6n65psz9r78.png

This is not true expansion packs were normal back in day.Ea didn't create this model.The problem is pralives is a game where it's expensive.Dlc will cost money.
  • Options
    I plan to buy both.
    I think we should trust the team when they say that new game installs will cover their salaries for a few years after release. We need to remember that they likely won’t be working on this game for a decade and be releasing 2-3 expansion packs and a dozen kits each year.

DLC will be limited. They just don’t have the team size and corporate might to crank out volume at the pace of the Sims team. So it makes sense why it would be free DLC.

Perhaps there is a disconnect when people assume the Sims 4 equivalent of DLC is the plan for Paralives. I don’t think that’s going to happen.
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited February 9
    I am super excited for the release of Paralives. I think this one will be more easier to play on a lower end machine (unless Life By You options can create the amount of people and buildings to match the computer specs).

Of all the videos I’ve seen. I think Simmer Erin and Satch on Sims I agree with most.
    The cozy vibe is so appealing and I like some the townies like ‘Mustache Man’ 😂! I really like the Together Cards and dragging around Parafolk to make a group. I like the cafe and sidewalk, it looked lived in.

My sole criticism is I also noticed the Parafolk don’t match the build mode aesthetics. Hopefully that changes.

I am very skeptical about the free DLC model. How will the game support itself? 🤔🤷🏼‍♂️. They maybe a small team for now but in the future if the game is very successful they’ll grow. That means more overheads.

I would prefer smaller DLC maybe £5-15 based on amount. The emphasis needs to be on value for money.

I agree with free updates on the base game and maybe a few free anniversary items. However remaining free permanently is confusing as to how they’ll keep paying the bills.

In comparison the current DLC of the Sims packs needs reviewing. The more recent expansions should’ve been game packs. In fact I would rather Game Packs be the max tier, £20 for a new theme is ok to me. These packs are mostly successful (Batuu and MWS are the only oddities).
    Post edited by ncisGibbs02 on
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    I plan to buy both.
    I think the game early acesss would be cheaper like 29.99 to 49.99 dollars.While the full game would be 59.99to 79.99 dollars
  • Options
    I plan to buy both.
    The queen of Sims 2 wants-based rotational gameplay reacts to Paralives' gameplay reveal.
    https://youtu.be/tdSOpa4ELBs?si=ysvTRPq_MyxHULHJ
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    I think the game early acesss would be cheaper like 29.99 to 49.99 dollars.While the full game would be 59.99to 79.99 dollars

FIY the people who get Early Access wouldn't have to pay for it again when 1.0 version drops.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,757 Member
    I think it's charming, looks fun to play, and I'll definitely get it when it releases. But it doesn't hit that sim spot for me

I'm curious about the DLC. Wonder if they'll release packs comparable to Sims SPs, GPs, and EPs. And how frequently. Or something smaller than a stuff pack (think SDX or Kit) but more frequently.

As you probably know (or probably didn't know) that basements, pools, houseboats, cars, bikes, dogs, cats, horses, and seasons will be added during Early Access according to the roadmap
    6adMCGP.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top