Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How much are you playing For Rent?

Comments

• Options
    Breathe_No_MoreBreathe_No_More Posts: 175 Member
    I bought the pack and am playing with everything.
    I don't play in Tomarang and I don't really let my Sims travel there because it is not that interesting to me as I hoped it was. I have one save with playing as landlord and tenants (I have one main Sim, but I also play others in a rotational way) and I have one save with tenants only. The latter is one of my favorites currently and it makes a lot of fun playing this. The only thing that bothers me is because my main character is neat and always has to clean up all of those abandoned white cakes in the shared kitchen... :tired_face:

I also like building rental houses, not that I am a good builder (nope), but I just enjoy doing this.
  • Options
    sillyangel0906sillyangel0906 Posts: 5,406 Member
    Other.
    I have played a little bit as a tenant. Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't seem much different than what we had before with apartments in City Living. I haven't had any interest in playing as the Land Lord yet. The world is small and pretty boring so I don't use it for regular residential either.

The things I've gotten the most use out of from this pack are the kettle and the pressure cooker. lol
    Origin ID - Sillyangel0906

Q7wLwse.png
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,430 Member
    I haven’t bought the pack.
    I planned on buying this pack at full price at launch. I reconsidered because I felt there was not enough gameplay to justify an EP price tag. But now I am glad I didn't go ahead with all the reports of broken save files and some simmers actually want to uninstall the pack. I know EP can have bugs and design choices I don't like but corrupting peoples saves is another level. I would like the world, the kettle and the hopscotch but not at the risk of loosing my favorite save.

If the sims team manages to fix this pack, I will get it on sale but in it's current this pack feels to risky.
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    Other.
    I bought the pack but hadn't played as life has been busy and didn't have the time. Things are slowing down so I have time to play but haven't as yet since hearing about the different bugs and the save corruption. I really want to play my Sims but don't want corrupted saves. Does anyone know if avoiding use of the features and world in For Rent will allow me to play my game without fear of corruption? I really enjoy my Sims but I do get frustrated when I buy a pack I have been looking forward to and have to wait for what seems like forever to play because of bugs that affect the gameplay so badly. If I can't play at all without affecting my game/saves I will have to try to be patient and wait for fixes as I do love my sims.
  • Options
    FreddyFox1234FreddyFox1234 Posts: 509 Member
    I bought the pack but I’m not using any of the tenant/landlord/rental content.
    Really interesting to see the poll and everyone’s comments. Something’s really wrong if two months after a pack comes out, most people who bought it aren’t using the main feature — though it’s good to see that some players are. I really feel for the creators/developers who put their heart into designing and working on this. It must be so demoralising.

@maggiemae8135 I’ve been playing different saves without any issues so far and I’ve been using various aspects of For Rent except the actual tenants/landlords/rental system. From what I’ve read it seems it’s only if you start playing with residential rentals that you might get issues, so if you avoid them I think you should be fine. But do back up your saves just in case :)
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    Sims from other apartments invading my sim's apartment killed it for me.
    I set the game aside and started playing other games.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,896 Member
    I don't buy broken stuff.

Truly, I hope after this pack's release that many more simmers will wait to learn if a pack is functional before spending money on it. That will support better quality packs in the future.

• Options
    FatTribble23FatTribble23 Posts: 848 Member
    Other.
    Not only am I not playing For Rent, I'm not playing Sims 4 at all right now. I haven't played in like 6 weeks or thereabouts. Now in the interest of full disclosure, I do sometimes step away from S4 for a week or a couple of months, but that's always been because of boredom, RL throwing a curveball, etc. This time it is SOLELY because of the disaster that is For Rent. I honestly don't know when I'll go back to playing.
    HcmCUds.jpg
    Life needs an undo button.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,977 Member
    Other.
    Not only am I not playing For Rent, I'm not playing Sims 4 at all right now. I haven't played in like 6 weeks or thereabouts. Now in the interest of full disclosure, I do sometimes step away from S4 for a week or a couple of months, but that's always been because of boredom, RL throwing a curveball, etc. This time it is SOLELY because of the disaster that is For Rent. I honestly don't know when I'll go back to playing.

I know I will go back to playing when they fix being able to change residential rental lots back to another lot type. I’m just too afraid to play with my rotational saves, I have had the one for so long, and the other is my scenario save. I’m tired of the practice save I was playing. I already uploaded one residential rental ( luckily I also uploaded a copy before I actually made it a residential rental ). I just find it so hard to wait in building apartments as I really want to be able to make apartments, and I want the Goth and Castle kits, but have decided to wait till they fix for rent.
  • Options
    maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    Other.
    @FreddyFox1234 Thank you for your answer! I have the game on my new computer so no current saves except for a building one. Now I want to take a chance and start a new game, knowing you can actually play and not get the corruption if avoid For Rent gameplay. Appreciate you letting me know!
  • Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 438 Member
    I really hope someone at EA reads this thread.
    Gallery ID: PandoraTO
  • Options
    FreddyFox1234FreddyFox1234 Posts: 509 Member
    @FreddyFox1234 Thank you for your answer! I have the game on my new computer so no current saves except for a building one. Now I want to take a chance and start a new game, knowing you can actually play and not get the corruption if avoid For Rent gameplay. Appreciate you letting me know!

I do hope you don't get any problems and it works out well. I've been enjoying playing with things like the kettle and hopscotch :)
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited February 5
    Other.
    My toxic trait: I buy the pack thinking it looks cool (because in theory, it does) and that it'll finally get me to play the game again, only to play it for 1-2 hours and put the game back in rest mode.

I think I have to start accepting that whatever this game is - and it's not even all bad - is what it'll always be, and no pack or pack activity can fix that. Very rarely do I get into hard storytelling mode and I can play TS4 for 1-2 weeks with high levels of enthusiasm but ... it hasn't happened in a long, long while (like years if we exclude the 4 or so days I enjoyed playing with horses), and that I should put my money elsewhere. I know this but I do it anyway lol. Why? Beats me.

Honestly tho, a little story time with regards to For Rent: right before it came out, I tried one of the challenges (the one where you wanna become a famous chef but your stove keeps catching on fire) with a single-person household in San Sequoia. And I was both extremely annoyed (like fr, I get that the stove catching on fire is supposed to make achieving your goals more challenging and all but EVERY SINGLE TIME, 🐸🐸🐸🐸 sims team? People blame Riot for not being able to balance their game, but y'all are even worse lmao), and bored to tears. Cause without a family to interact with ... nothing happens? At all? Anywhere? And then For Rent came out and I quickly realized I had the exact same feeling with my two-person tenant household. And the bugs. The BUGS, omg the bugs. Why are there so many bugs, why is every mechanic and sims mood completely overtuned? I'm just. I can't. I don't wanna be negative, I get that some people get a lot out of this game, and I feel like at one point I did too, but every single time I try, I simply can't remember how I ever did that. It just makes me sad, and For Rent made that feeling 1000x more obvious to me lol.

Phew, my bad, I guess I had to get this off my chest xD
  • Options
    cchant86cchant86 Posts: 221 Member
    For Rent is the focus of my current game. I started the day it came out and I created Sims for each of the new aspirations, and the handyman job, and randomly assigned some of the new traits to my Sims. I made two of them landlords and the rest tenants (downloaded a few cool builds from the gallery), and placed most of my Sims in the new world, but put one guy in Strangerville because the build I downloaded was a cool run-down industrial style apartment complex that fit that locale, and part of his challenge of a landlord was to earn enough money to fix the place up and get the 5-star aspiration, which he finally did at the end of January. His reward was to marry his mermaid tenant and go off with her to live in Sulani. :smile:

Then I played a guy who has the Tomarang knowlege aspiration. He just finished that up and has moved to Brindleton Bay with his new wife. Now I'm focused on the Sim I gave the handyman job to. She also has the snooping aspiration, which she is almost finished with. I'm enjoying the pack a great deal. I haven't experienced all the bugs I keep reading about online (but I also haven't built any rentals which seems to be where some bugs are).

The only problem I've had is when my landlord married his tenant and she moved in with him, there was a glitch refilling her old apartment with someone, but I think I used manage worlds to fix that. Then after the recent patch when my second guy got married while still a tenant, it wouldn't let his wife move in with him (the check mark stayed grayed out after she was on his side), so I had to move him in with her (not in the world), then move them both back into the apartment with manage worlds and the game treated him like a new resident (welcome wagon and all that), so that's definitely a glitch. Another thing I noticed is that Plopsy doesn't seem to work on the shared tenant mailboxes. I haven't been able to ship anything, but once the Sim moved out of the apartment to his own house, Plopsy was fine.
  • Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    I'm letting the gallery build up some rentals. I realized right away i don't like side by side rental units, so I'm looking for multi floor style with one unit per floor.
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I play as a landlord and have no issues with this pack in my vanilla game, I even got all my rent. I have issues with other packs.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    Other.
    I have the pack and I even built a modest apartment complex. The identical twin girls in my game finally finished up Uni and in the midst of the second term aged up to YA. Yes, they graduated high school early, but because they were so young (and I have yet to sort out a good way to take care of both households on a rotation) I had them stay at home and work from there. Needless to say I was excited to get started. However, tearing myself away from my Main Save has been as easy as taking a pair of plyers and extracting my own teeth. :open_mouth: But, I finally took the plunge, so to speak. I played a few days over at Oakenstead Estates and the girls moved into their own unit, and let out the other three. It's been ah-hem interesting, I suppose. First, Melodie discovered the tenants in Unit-4 (just above her unit) was over capacity. I tried to have them fine them for the offense, but I couldn't figure it out. Then because I seem to be lacking in brain cells upon occasion, I ended up eviting them.

vIAoLgm.jpg

This was a huge mistake. Melodie got word they lost a court battle and she will be notified how much they're going to have to pay for the Unjust eviction. Ah-me. Then the twins were notified of yet another lease infraction. This time I was informed I could fine them using the mailbox. Phew!

In between these happy little events, a Pet Adoption Drive occurred. What a NIGHTMARE. A bunch of strays, cats and dogs, got left in the street just outside the gates to the complex. I first thought this was the penalty for the unjust eviction, but it happened a second time. Oi! So, I am less than thrilled. Plus Twin B, Harmony, is grossly unhappy. She's trying to support her twin, but she absolutely has no time for anything else. Harmony has her own ambitions. She would really like to meet a nice guy, fall in love and well, live happily ever after. :)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 881 Member
    I haven't bought the pack yet, I do plan to get it when it goes on sale.
    My plans are to buy Horse Ranch, For Rent, and Growing together when it goes on sale.
  • Options
    EleriEleri Posts: 550 Member
    PandoraTO wrote: »
    I really hope someone at EA reads this thread.

@PandoraTO It wouldn't do any good. EA is a company with stockholders. As long as people rush to buy packs without kicking the tires, it doesn't make financial sense for EA to establish a thorough QA process before releasing new content.

One does not simply walk into a shareholders meeting and say "We're going to spend additional money on something that won't make us additional money."
    -No, my almost-elderly mother, I don't think it's a good time for you to try for a baby.
    -Yes, person I barely know, you have my blessing to hang out with Johnny Zest.
    -No person with the mean, hot-headed and self-absorbed traits, I don't think you should get married.
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    edited February 6
    I want to add that I mainly wanted the pack early for the pre-order items. It was a birthday gift. I was really excited about making residential rentals and I did make a whole bunch before I heard of the corrupting saves problem. I also played with the landlord system a bit. I had no issues at all with the rentals myself, but decided to avoid them just in case. My own problem was with one plain residential lot that corrupted the Tomarang map (it became blank white). I was okay with waiting for bug fixes, but disappointed when they didn't come with the previous patch. So while I don't regret picking this pack as a gift and I'm happily playing other areas, I am not happy that bugs still haven't been fixed and also understand the criticism.

Here's the bug report, the corruption is not Tomarang only:
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-Lot-in-World-corrupts-Map-doesn-t-load-anymore/td-p/13299392
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,466 Member

I preordered For Rent at the time and that’s a last time for me, no matter how tempting TS4’s next content is going to look. Bugged Fairies, Bands ‘n GrimReapers?! Ye can keep ‘em until they’re fixed. I can be both excited and extremely patient, but I’m done with dancing around like a foolish clown in EA’s ever growing Bug Circus.

For Rent corrupted an entire lot area in one of my build saves (it’s unusable no matter what I try) and it broke a castle that took me a wee minute to build. Luckily I’m obsessed with backing up my nonsense, so I didn’t lose too much work, but this is no way to release packs.
    I’m very happy for those that have little to no issues with the EP. 👍🏼

In my opinion the quality of Sims 4 packs has been like a soft boiled egg rollin’ down down down this bumpy hill for some time now. Obviously it’s already cracked in places. The sad thing is that I and so many others in the community can see the potential this game still has, even with all its flaws and limitations, yet the big guys up there in Triple A La La Land decide to treat the entire thing like some practical joke. NEWSFLASH: it’s not funny.

Step up your game EA, INVEST in expanding TS4’s QA team for starters, whatever structure you have in place right now ain’t working, plus it’s unfair to the devs who spent time on these packs to hear us whining about Breaky McBugFest non-stop, because we absolutely deserve better (and honestly, more) than this, it’s so bad that some of us just want to uninstall what we paid for, including myself. True, we can be a tough crowd, but you either love making and publishing games for your community or you don’t. Any half- peached claptrap is unacceptable.

OP, to answer your question: I occasionally play the game, and while I really like the For Rent BB catalogue, I will no longer use these items until the pack is fixed. I’m a superstitious man and I believe that they will jinx my saves…👀

Tomarang is beautiful, rabbit holy and very boring. I’m not spending much time there.
    One of the main reasons I bought the pack was for the moldy lot trait, since I wanted to have Mold Monsters in my game…so I made a Jenny Greenteeth Bog Hag! Aahh…the absolute state of her, I can’t post her here, she’s too freakish poor woman 😆 but the deadly mold state is fantastic, I love the animation, kudos to the artist(s) that worked on this ( basically, sim acts like wheezing mold zombie) - unfortunately this state doesn’t last long enough for me. Keeping sims in this condition has…well…dire consequences…which I already knew…but still.
    My dear Jenny Greenteeth is nothing but the ghost of a forgotten bog hag now, so I’m going to have to repeat the entire mold cycle to keep me satisfied…

• Options
    lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,024 Member
    I bought the pack before any of the serious save-corrupting issues became known, but I also made sure I knew how to disable the pack just in case the known bugs got worse. I have two saves going where my sims live in Tomarang. I like the world, BB and CAS items. But I am not playing with the rental aspects at all right now...staying clear of that disaster-waiting-to-happen! 😒

When I first got the pack, I built one rental duplex lot in San Sequoia and placed NPCs in as tenants. My played sims aren't tenants or landlords. I also removed the mold challenge on the existing rentals and disabled rental events to prevent any craziness that might develop from that. 🙄 That's it for rentals in my game. I'm upset that these gameplay bugs haven't been fixed yet.
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,383 Member
    edited February 7
    I was having a few months break of Sims 4 due to health issues and I had no idea about the corrupted saves problem.
    I bought the pack because of CAS, BB and the world Tomarang, I'm not interested of the tenant/landlord stuff. I have one Sim living in Tomarang and now I'm afraid of what will possibly happen. I still don't know what the bugs exactly are but the corrupted saves one sounds scary. :#
  • Options
    lucombrelucombre Posts: 45 Member
    Other.
    I bought the pack and love it - it finally lets me play in so many ways that I’ve been wanting to forever. I have a giant rotational save so it lets me finally have starter apartments in worlds besides San Myshuno and Evergreen Harbor, townhouses, and even luxury condos. BUT I’m playing extremely cautiously due to the bugs being reported and making a LOT of backups. I hope they address the bugs soon 🙏
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    edited February 7
    I did start playing with some of the features and then got hit with the residential rental corruption, I had to go back to a previous save I had from before the EP came out and start all over again without adding any rentals into my other worlds. I was not happy, to say the least. I'm now avoiding the rental system until the bugs are fixed. And I'll also be avoiding buying any more content until they get these things sorted out.