Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"Unplugged trait" to prevent autonomous phone, computer use and prefer other activities

TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
edited December 2023 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
One thing I've often struggled with playing the Sims is how often my sim(s) pull their phone out to autonomously use it, as someone who barely uses their cellphone for things other than text, email and receiving calls as a choice I wish I could see this an option presented to my sims too.

While I know there are mods to prevent autonomous activities, I'd REALLY love a trait crafted JUST for this. Which I'll call "unplugged" and would work well with off the grid game play for example.

Some features of this trait would be obvious such as sims only using their phone when you direct them to (such as calling someone, getting a job, ect) and possibly getting a negative emotion the longer they interact with it (such as if you told them to play game on it, browse the web, ect) or other forms of "electric entertainment" such as watching TV, gaming, ect)

While gaining positive moodlets for non-electric activities such as sports, reading books, possible with skill boosts or learning too?

I know we all seem very connected but I have a lot of people in my social group now that have chosen a minimalist use of their phone and would love to see this as an option for my sims as a trait too. I suspect it could be a popular trait too!

Comments

• Options
    EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,349 EA Community Manager
    From the patch notes today:
    • Sims will no longer be constantly using their phones at every hour of the day. Not a cell phone in sight, just simulated people living in the moment. Beautiful.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • Options
    TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    From the patch notes today:
    • Sims will no longer be constantly using their phones at every hour of the day. Not a cell phone in sight, just simulated people living in the moment. Beautiful.

Oh I was unaware that it was a bug related to this (i just read the notes you linked) I actually just reinstalled the Sims, pre-ordered For Rent and started building apartments in the last few days.

Well I'm happy to see that sims use their phones less! Though I wonder if a unplugged trait isn't still a possibility especially for off the grid game play with moodlets ect? Just an idea anyway, thx for the link and info!
  • Options
    nattygirl13nattygirl13 Posts: 82 Member
    I also think there should be options to hide the phone UI menu and instead perform phone and computer interactions from interactive objects such as: mailboxes, community boards, kiosks, and bus stops. Especially if you are aiming for historical gameplay and want to eliminate phone and computer usable. There should also be more off the grid stereo objects to match historical gameplay and vintage movie projectors and projector screens to replace TVs (there could be an animation of changing the film reel on projectors).
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,580 Member
    edited January 13
    Most of what you wish for is already s thing with the technophobe lifestyle trait.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    nattygirl13nattygirl13 Posts: 82 Member
    edited January 13
    83bienchen wrote: »
    Most of what you wish for is already s thing with the technophobe lifestyle trait.

Yes, but I'm referring to base game compatible incorporation of these features for people who don't own Snowy Escape or simply want to incorporate period accurate devices into historical gameplay. These suggestions aren't about bring a technophobe, because they wouldn't want to use any technology, It is about having more realistic technology alternatives for historical themed gameplay. For instance, there is a lot of TSM conversion of cc and mods, but some of it isn't accurate or realistic. For example, the parchment computer is a nice mod, but it isn't accurate or realistic to still be able to play video games or use social media functions on a piece of parchment. There is also a crystal ball tv mod, but if you don't own RoM or simply want a more period accurate device for your generation challenge, the vintage movie projector I mentioned would be an appropriate alternative to TVs and crystal balls. Additionally, if you're playing in a rural setting such as henford or chestnut ridge, sending a letter and completing social interactions via a mailbox, may be more suitable as opposed to having a computer. Especially for individuals who want off the grid compatible and historical gameplay alternatives. Another example would be using a telegraph machine to chat instead of holding a cellphone or using a community board to post roommate advertisement instead of posting on the web. Technically, some of these suggestions would still qualify as a technological device, so the technophobe lifestyle trait would be a hindrance to gameplay.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,397 Member
    Another example would be using a telegraph machine to chat instead of holding a cellphone or using a community board to post roommate advertisement instead of posting on the web.

Chatting is the easiest to do historically accurate gameplay because you can chat to other sims, animals and plants if you want to raise social. If you don't want a TV or computer in your sims house it's quite easy to not add one in your households and add another fun raising object like a games table. I tried to play off grid in Chestnut Ridge but I found there are not quite enough furniture options, especially sinks. Sinks are basically a basin that you can pour water in with a pitcher if the tap doesn't work, so not sure why there are so few off the grid options for them. Also, would be nice if sims could buy a gas canister to fuel the stoves instead of making their own bio fuel.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I actually love the idea of it being a trait! Like for example, my kids are phone addicts ..... I am not! I only use my cell when I'm out (I work from home so I make/answer my landline because it's on my desk).

So if I wanted to make a simself or someone who's like me, they would get that trait and the rest of the world could continue with their cell phone addiction!

Yes please, Devs!
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,971 Member
    edited January 20
    Yeah I really wish the autonomous phone use was tied to phone addiction trait or whatever and all my sims wouldn't do that autonomously its so off putting when my sims spouse is dying or whatever and they're just looking at their dang phones

I also hate when sims take out their phones/camera to " take picture" of celebs or milestones or whatever cause then I can't have them actually take picture because they're in the middle of that animation *sighs*

also just in general I play autonomy off for a reason why are my sims still autonomously judging decor or whatever when i clearly wanted autonomy off

only time I wish sims would have autonomy despite autonomy off is when they're werewolf during full moon since thats like whole point of being werewolf to be uncontrollable and rampage but apparently that is not autonomous out of all things possible *sighs*
    Post edited by Simmingal on
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,047 Member
    @Bienchen0379 I tried using the technophobe livestyle for this purpose, but removed it because it worked so badly. First, my sims would walk around constantly tense because of technology, even when no one was using any technology in the house. As I play historical gameplay there is no TV, no electronic games, and while there is a gramophone and computer (I use the typewriter from cottage living) they are rarely used. Still, my sims would wake up in the morning, tense, get tense as soon as they entered the house, and stay tense no matter what I directed them to do. I don't know if electricity and lighting and stoves or whatever is included in the trait, because that is the only thing that could explain why they were so tense all the time.

But what was even worse was that they would still bring up their phones to do things like play games or browse the web. That only stopped when I installed your mod. So yeah, it does exist, but it's so poorly executed that it doesn't work at all.

Which, on the other hand, is what I find of most lifestyles. They cause more negative emotions than positive ones, and not always in logical ways. Like a sim with a romantic aspiration of "finding the one" getting the "single and loving it" lifestyle because they haven't been on a date for a few days. Or a sim who is a workaholic simultaneously getting a tense moodlet when they get back from work for "needing a vacation" and "not working". The things is I really love the idea of lifestyles instead of traits, because these are choices we make and not things we are born with, but they seriously need rework.

Sorry @TOLKIEN if I sort of got into a lifestyles-rant in your thread. It's just one of those things that bug me because it could be great if done right.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • Options
    MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    Please, yes.

Let it be a trait, preferably a cheap reward trait so it's easy to get and doesn't take up a trait slot. I play historical sometimes too, and had to install a mod that made the phone look like a little notebook...even though those weren't a thing yet either in the time period I'm trying to play. Still, it's slightly better than seeing them take out a phone that definitely didn't exist yet.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    Magdaleena wrote: »
    Please, yes.

Let it be a trait, preferably a cheap reward trait so it's easy to get and doesn't take up a trait slot.

Perfect :)

Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.