Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For Rent Negative thread

Comments

• Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,674 Member
    edited January 14
    I really miss some status confirmation by EA. We should not accept their silence for this long, and especially not when they announced the new roadmap. It is 5+ weeks since For Rent release, and my status is that I bought an EP from EA on release, which made my game unplayable unless I like to risk my only save to go bonkers. If my save gets corrupt I will simply stop playing The Sims - there is absolutely no way I will start a fresh game after all the story/community/lot building I invested. I'm not talking about money, but hours. The only mistake I made was adding another game pack.

I'd like to see EA reaching out a hand by confirming what causes the problem(s) - or what it might be (in case they have not yet sorted it out). What exact makes it dangerous to play/save? What causes the corrupted saves? I assume some of it relates to mods and simmers switching lot categories involving rental residential, but until EA confirms these details, I can not play my game. I only created 5-6 rental units, and I read that 20 - not 99 - might be the crucial limit. But because it was never confirmed, we can only assume, and that is not good enough! We are many simmers who can not play our game at all these days. 5 weeks is more than a 12th of a year!

Please tell us what is seen as safe and what is not! I understand that EA can not comment on how mods affect our games, but the bug(s) is obviously not related to mods alone as simmers with no mods also got the corrupted save.

Stand up and be responsible, EA!
    Post edited by Simmerville on
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 438 Member
    Time will tell, but I feel like I might have to forget about buying this pack ever. We'll see whether they can or will dedicate the necessary resources to fixing it or whether they'll just leave a bunch of major pack features broken forever, like the DHD career. I feel like next week's patch will set the tone there because it will show us whether the FR issues are a priority for them or not.

The saddest part is that so many players don't check the bug forums or follow TS4 socials, so they're probably buying this pack even now, not knowing that it's probably going to corrupt their beloved saves. Really shoddy, EA.
    Gallery ID: PandoraTO
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,578 Member
    DHD has clearly been a pack they put out there and just never bothered to fix the gameplay. I believe most people just gave up on playing that career very soon and there really isn't any other gameplay that came with DHD. DHD gameplay was easy to avoid though and not as crucial as residential rentals. I reckon most people were buying that pack for it's BB from the beginning and never intended to play the career much.
    The same cannot be said for For Rent. Residential rentals are a highly anticipated and quite versatile feature and the current bugs are game breaking ones. I do not think EA will not even try to fix it - if they'll be sucessful, though, one shall see.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    PandoraTOPandoraTO Posts: 438 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »
    DHD has clearly been a pack they put out there and just never bothered to fix the gameplay. I believe most people just gave up on playing that career very soon and there really isn't any other gameplay that came with DHD. DHD gameplay was easy to avoid though and not as crucial as residential rentals. I reckon most people were buying that pack for it's BB from the beginning and never intended to play the career much.
    The same cannot be said for For Rent. Residential rentals are a highly anticipated and quite versatile feature and the current bugs are game breaking ones. I do not think EA will not even try to fix it - if they'll be sucessful, though, one shall see.

Spot on. I bought DHD for the bb, even after I saw the buggy career gameplay in early access videos. I wasn’t interested in the career and have never played it to this day, although I might have tried it once if it weren’t bugged. OTOH, the main thing I want from FR is the residential rentals, so there’s no point in me buying it if the system doesn’t work.
    Gallery ID: PandoraTO
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    I've stayed away from creating any residential rental lots and/or playing on any of them for fear of corrupting my game since the release of this pack and finding out all the problems with the new lot type. I don't want to go on a wonderful building binge only to find out all my hard work has broken my game. Or worse, finding out those same builds are breaking other peoples' games if and when they download from my gallery. Nope, not worth the risk.

I'll wait until the major game breaking issues get fixed.... however long that takes I guess. :(

It sucks not being able to use the main feature of this EP, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. At least I can still play my game in other ways while also continuing to revamp the worlds with single family builds and community lots/venues. I was just so dang excited to build various types of multi-family lots for my households (both old and new), giving them a shiny new way to play out their stories.

*sigh*

My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    Jess_KimbaJess_Kimba Posts: 20 Member
    edited January 15
    Well, I’m an idiot and I caved and bought it.

There is absolutely *nothing* to do. At all. I looked all over Tomerang and you can’t do a single thing. Just a lot of pretty stuff you can’t click on, can’t interact with, can’t even walk to. Cool boat - can’t click on it. Cool lights, can’t visit them. Cool house, can’t live in it. Cool shop, can’t enter it. I knew about the temple and animal sanctuary being rabbit holes, but I thought there must have been *something* to do. Nope.

I even tried that silly break in option, and you can’t do anything then either. “Snoop” on stuff for no reason. I can’t steal anything, can’t take the tv, can’t even pocket stuff from the fridge. Boring.

The apartment mechanic was what I bought the pack for, and is supposed to make the lot feel lively but I moved into the downstairs apartment in the jungle neighbourhood and I never see my neighbours, never have any indication anyone else lives on the lot. I can’t buy the apartment I’m renting.

It’s so boring. This pack is boring. This game is boring. I’m so done.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    edited January 15
    83bienchen wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/Wmtd4E9UZfs?si=eJ5CSs42qtMxbUbZ
    As a long term Sims games lover, this literally breaks my heart. The more so as EA don't even acknowledge what is going on.

I agree with her, lately I haven’t wanted to even get in the game because of what I consider game breaking bugs. I have some saves since 2014 ( doing save as occasionally ). I hope they are able to fix these big bugs soon, I don’t even use CC or mods, so I know it’s not that. But I do own all the packs and kits so far. I will probably wait on new packs including the 2 kits I have been wanting, till they fix the big bugs with For Rent, as I don’t feel comfortable playing with bugs that might corrupt a save. I was so excited when I heard we were going to be able to make anpartments anywhere. I’m sure I’ll be excited again once they fix these problems.
    Post edited by SheriSim57 on
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited January 15
    I really miss some status confirmation by EA. We should not accept their silence for this long, and especially not when they announced the new roadmap. It is 5+ weeks since For Rent release, and my status is that I bought an EP from EA on release, which made my game unplayable unless I like to risk my only save to go bonkers. If my save gets corrupt I will simply stop playing The Sims - there is absolutely no way I will start a fresh game after all the story/community/lot building I invested. I'm not talking about money, but hours. The only mistake I made was adding another game pack.

I'd like to see EA reaching out a hand by confirming what causes the problem(s) - or what it might be (in case they have not yet sorted it out). What exact makes it dangerous to play/save? What causes the corrupted saves? I assume some of it relates to mods and simmers switching lot categories involving rental residential, but until EA confirms these details, I can not play my game. I only created 5-6 rental units, and I read that 20 - not 99 - might be the crucial limit. But because it was never confirmed, we can only assume, and that is not good enough! We are many simmers who can not play our game at all these days. 5 weeks is more than a 12th of a year!

Please tell us what is seen as safe and what is not! I understand that EA can not comment on how mods affect our games, but the bug(s) is obviously not related to mods alone as simmers with no mods also got the corrupted save.

Sadly, this will always be the case as they release packs without fixing what was wrong with the last pack and it this will continue. They may fear if they spend time fixing what is wrong with the program, it will interfere with their profits as they may be on a timeline.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    I'm not "playing" until they fix the bugs. I am still building though, because that's the main reason I bought it for myself for Christmas. I'm just keeping a list of what the rentals are supposed to be named vs. what the game keeps changing them back to. Since all I'm doing is building, that's the only bug I'm currently dealing with. I'm hoping that they'll address it in a way that allows me to simply fix the names and move on. But just in case it does corrupt the save, I do have backups of my saves before adding any rentals.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    LeucosiaXLeucosiaX Posts: 1,608 Member

You're right. I got the pack as a gift otherwise I would have held off. I can't even make more than 13 residential lots before it corrupts my save. Luckily I was able to save my save, but I am avoiding the new gameplay until it is fixed. Really Ea only say to back up your files is the only insurance. You can play, and build but you have to monitor hoe many residential rentals you game can handle. 13 is nothing and I have already exisiting more mulitfamily residentials lots from prior. I am currently using the "roommate" system as well, which is not the best.

Someone posted a survey you can take if you own the pack https://survey.alchemer.com/s3/7583979/
    and there is another if you don't. I dont know where that one is but you can search this thread https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/1012576/walkthrough-through-the-for-rent-survey/p2

I tried to take it but it glitched and say "oops you already took this survey" before I could finish it. Imagine if that happens to many, the results will not report what they are supposed to.

This is really going downhill if ea can't fix this. I looks like the closing of the sims 4 because they are moving on to the next project. It's upsetting for us invested in this and it doesnt show promise for the next title if they end things this way. The engine excuse, is not true. It's a computer game and they can change anything about it. They said it was revolutionarly hard to make city living, and they are just trying to put out effortless content at this point because we are hooked and invested. It's really messed up

on the topic of DHD, that worked perfectly the first two weeks I had it and then it broke. If someone sold you a product that broke after two weeks, I mean that would be really considered not acceptable. Now they are selling us stuff that is broken from the shelf. They can make better quality product. It's not the engine. It's a decision on the higher ups on how much money they will spend on this title knowing it will end soon.
    You can say the company is multibillion earning, but they have titles they care to push out more and this is concerned an old game. And now what they are doing to it's image is putting a "cringe trait." It doesnt hold promise to the future if they don't fix it and put out quality content.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    The only For Rent bugfix in this bugfix patch is for the main menu screenshots showing at the wrong resolution :/

• Options
    LeucosiaXLeucosiaX Posts: 1,608 Member
    The only For Rent bugfix in this bugfix patch is for the main menu screenshots showing at the wrong resolution :/

I can't believe this😱
  • Options
    flauschtrudflauschtrud Posts: 242 Member
    Yeah, I've never felt that offended by reading the patch notes... :s
    I make gameplay mods! You can find them at CurseForge.
    My first attempt at creating a Sims comic: The Parker-Goth Legacy.
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,928 Member
    edited January 16
    Looks like this is the first sims4 world I'm not likely soon going to have :'(

Edit: edited to be less dramatic, heh
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    LeccaLecca Posts: 126 Member
    Spent a few irl days building a regular residential in Tomarang only for it to completely corrupt that save. I have faced bugs in the game before but never one so severe that not only that save but every save in the folder was effected. I was never more grateful that I had backed up my files a few days before pack release. It is upsetting that I cannot use the house I spent so much time on. I have since been avoiding Tomarang and anything to do with residential rentals. Another thing, marbles not working is such a huge let down. I was so looking forward to a new kids activity. It’s fun to have my sims play but without the risk/reward of betting marbles it’s extremely…meh.
  • Options
    PhilSimsPhilSims Posts: 190 Member
    This game is riddled with bugs following For Rent. Just had everything disappear from my fridge, bookcase and toy box 😭
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-FR-Items-in-Fridge-Bookshelf-amp-Toybox-Disappear-on-R/td-p/13318785
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member

It's not there fault for rent was released .

They were off some of December .So the fixes are going take awhile.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,973 Member
    Yeah, I was hoping the big bugs in For Rent would be fixed with the patch this month toi. I guess I’ll be waiting a bit on the kits before getting them or doing much game play. Hoping they are able to get to the For Rent bugs soon now that Christmas and New Years are over.
  • Options

The developers sure earned their holidays, but the people who decided to release an obviously buggy pack right before christmas did this deliberately, so I think some complaints are in order. And there must have been a lot of people who got the pack for christmas and couldn't even enjoy it during their holidays.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    edited January 17

The developers sure earned their holidays, but the people who decided to release an obviously buggy pack right before christmas did this deliberately, so I think some complaints are in order. And there must have been a lot of people who got the pack for christmas and couldn't even enjoy it during their holidays.

Again we don't not know if they knew it was bugged.This bugged happen a couple weeks after it was released.Some complains are in order.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    Mstybl95 wrote: »

I wonder how many people are really affected by this and the ratio of how much this EP sold to how many have these game breaking bugs.

They revealed pretty recently that 1.8 billion hours were played by people last year so there could be a lot of people that could have gotten their saves corrupted.

And a lot of people don't engage with the community so they have probably no idea what to do if the bug occurs.
  • Options
    FreddyFox1234FreddyFox1234 Posts: 509 Member
    They really should have waited until this year before releasing the pack. We didn’t need it last year as we already had plenty. By releasing it just before the holidays they made it really hard for themselves to deal with the bugs that always arise. If they’d just waited, they could have released it in the new year (giving themselves more time to work on it pre-release), and then responded to the bugs much more quickly because everyone was back at work. That way they would have saved themselves a whole load of complaints and bad feeling. I can only assume they needed to release it last quarter for financial reasons.
  • Options
    Pebbles_75Pebbles_75 Posts: 11 New Member
    Hi I'm so confused with for rent. I dont know where to ask my question. I was gifted For rent as a Christmas present and not really interacted with it because I've read having too many units are breaking peoples saves. I understand there is a max unit per lot of 6 of a rental property lot, unless you use the cheat code which I dont want to do. However I'm confused on how many actual rental properties lot types you can have?
    Can I have 1 rental lot type with 6 units in each world? Or would I need to use the cheat?
    Sorry if this has been asked. I dont want to break my game. Many thanks
  • Options
    edited January 17
    @Pebbles_75
    You don't need a cheat for what you are planning (one rental with six units per world). You can theoretically have up to 100 units this way.

People are writing about the save corrupting bug here: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-Orange-Exclamation-signs-over-lots-Houses-disappear/td-p/10533991
    It's an old symptom, but it has happened a lot more frequently since For Rent released, both to people who used the cheat and to those who didn't.

It seems that the more units you have in your save the more likely the bug is to occur, although it seems to be different for most people and there is no hard number or definite risk factor known yet.
    Post edited by flauschtrud on
  • Options
    SweetBexiSweetBexi Posts: 147 Member
    I was quite keen for 'For Rent' when I saw it, it had gameplay I felt would work for a new save I was planning and I've been holding off buying it since the bugs have become apparent. I wanted the pre order items but the fact this game is literally breaking games I've no intention of buying it until I see evidence that suggests it is fixed. It's a shame they seem to be releasing more and more games that are broken on release.

It's not a great advertisement for those who are starting Sims 4 now that it's free. There are so many new upcoming similar games that could take players away.