Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How detailed do you furnish units for 'for rent'

I am trying to furnish a built for 'for rent'. I am trying to decide if I should make furnished apartment units or empty units to decorate when I move in tenants. There is also an in between solution with only basic furniture (kitchen counters, beds, tables and chairs) or only bathroom and kitchen fixtures. What do most of you do? How far do you go in furnishing/decorating and why? Feel free to explain in the comments.

How detailed do you furnish units for 'for rent' 44 votes

Fully furnished and decorated
43%
Kita5399bandit5IceyJhaneulsimgirl1010freindlylolgreydonnEmmaVanebizuktagQuaayEgonVMRedShoe7Hearts4uabelhinha35JemmaTheSimmerSimmingalamber_ilumireFatTribble23skip 19 votes
Basic furniture
34%
crocobaurabekielanorbretonpendragon1980luthienrisingSimplyJenLisamango0Cynel1RedDestiny92MDianaSimsEvilyn_1007Atreya33Chicklet453681TheFlyingGentlemanflauschtrud 15 votes
Only fixtures in bathrooms and kitches
22%
Goth583SimmervilleMartinvDaraviEnkiSchmidtmikamakimonAmapola76DaWaterRatEllupelluelluWhubble 10 votes
No furniture at all.
0%

Comments

• Options
    Lenny_OggLenny_Ogg Posts: 3,696 Member
    edited December 2023
    On the one side you can't see inside the other units when you play, but

'You are incentivized to make your rental units nice for your tenants in The Sims 4 For Rent. It will result in a better rating and happier tenants, but you can play the role of an evil, greedy landlord if you want to.'

Quote from this article from The Sims Community.

So it depends on what you aim for, i guess. Maybe you can ask for higher rent if the unit is fully furnished?
    And you probably will have longer or shorter loading times if you have to fix something, depending how many objects the unit contains.

c63c44ce6d0525b8a6e76515e65e2ad15dac7068.pnj
    d70aead6bd57d9113e587b03ecffce84b09267d0.jpgThe Boys 2 - Therapy Game πŸ›Ί A Dramedy 🚢🏼🚢🏻🚢🏽🚢🏽 The Boys πŸ₯‡ Their first year - A Dramedy πŸš€ Lost In Space - A Space Opera 🐎 The Stables - A Horse Drama
    🎁 Best of Buydebug β˜ƒοΈ Short trips to the Oggiverse - Short Clips 🎬 My Builds: Houses 🏘 Rooms πŸ›‹ SciFi πŸ‘Ύ creatively edited Screenshots 🎨
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,430 Member
    Basic furniture
    On the one side you can't see inside the other units when you play, but

'You are incentivized to make your rental units nice for your tenants in The Sims 4 For Rent. It will result in a better rating and happier tenants, but you can play the role of an evil, greedy landlord if you want to.'

Quote from this article from The Sims Community.

So it depends on what you aim for, i guess. Maybe you can ask for higher rent if the unit is fully furnished?
    And you probably will have longer or shorter loading times if you have to fix something, depending how many objects the unit contains.

c63c44ce6d0525b8a6e76515e65e2ad15dac7068.pnj

I mostly want to use the new pack to have more place in small worlds. I don't want to play the landlord in every build. So 'depends what you aim for' is something to consider.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,965 Member
    edited December 2023
    I like to have all my builds ready to play at least to some degree before I move my sims in

exception being 3 huts I have in Sulani entirely dedicated to the whole " furnish as you go" thing but even those I did build the huts before i moved sims in

I also don't like to refurnish my sim houses too often so yeah I'm hoping that making it rentals property rather than tenants will avoid that if i kick sims out or whatnot

might use empty units but at the same time I don't think I will because I would like to use those 99 units wisely
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion πŸ¦‡ Vlad Advocate πŸ‰ Team Dragons
    🏑 Gallery πŸ“– Stories 🌍 World Project πŸ₯” MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    That being said, I am only planning to create units for sims that I will actively play, so I want them to decorate the units "themselves." (Obviously it's me doing it either way, but for immersion, I prefer to have them gradually decorate as time goes by.)

But if I were planning to have apartment neighbors that were functionally NPCS, or if I were planning to spend more time playing as a landlord, then I would probably add at least some decorations and furniture.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,676 Member
    I well keep doing what I did with San Myshuno flats. When switching tenants, there shall be a minimum of items in the flat - kitchen counter with sink, stove, fridge. Bathroom shower, toilet, sink and wall mirror. No beds. Ceiling lamps in all rooms. And of course - "please leave behind the fireplace when you check out". It makes it more fun to move out when you need to tidy up, and more fun to move in when you find a few basic things + often one thing that former renter forgot or left behind as a gift.

I might make exceptions if I have units that are meant for short term rent - like students, retired sims, workers on a project etc. Then I'd provide fully equipped which would include all tables/beds/chairs etc, but no clutter. My rule is then that the tenant is allowed to only change swatches + add stuff that come from their personal inventory. When they move out all stuff that can be placed in their inventory must be cleared from the apt :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    Basic furniture
    I don't see any reason to fully furnish apartments for rent if I am not going to play those households and they are just there to pay the rent. That being said, I rarely put lots of clutter in my sims houses from the start because they tend to collect their own junk through gameplay anyway and I like to add stuff that reflects their personality and interests and achievements, etc.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    Most of the time, I furnish every unit almost the same way. That's as I plan to have sims live there and furnish it as I see it fit for them.
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,930 Member
    That being said, I am only planning to create units for sims that I will actively play, so I want them to decorate the units "themselves." (Obviously it's me doing it either way, but for immersion, I prefer to have them gradually decorate as time goes by.)

But if I were planning to have apartment neighbors that were functionally NPCS, or if I were planning to spend more time playing as a landlord, then I would probably add at least some decorations and furniture.

Mostly this.

with some more furnished, sure.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 762 Member
    Basic furniture
    I like to do fully furnished, but not decorated. Unless it’s a nursery or toddler room.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    Fully furnished, but the PO decides how furnished "fully" furnished is, based on their budget and generosity.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited December 2023
    Basic furniture
    I just created a cookie-cutter neighborhood, with 7 small 2BR/1Bath identical homes and a shopping center (which is really a skill/entertainment area) within walking distance (All on the same lot) - I used the 64x64 lot in Windenburg.

And I only placed the "essential" items in the houses.
    • Kitchen (no coffee pot or drink machines, no microwave, popcorn machine or ice cream machine or anything like that, just a stove and fridge
    • Beds and dressers
    • Living room (without stereos, tvs, or computers)
    • Bathroom with sink, shower/tub combo, and toilet

I'm hoping that this might force my neighbors to use the community areas (aka .... my shopping center, which is actually individual rooms but looks like connected buildings)
    • Want a drink or go dancing and listen to music? ..... head to the "club"
    • Dirty Clothes piling up? .... feel free to use the "laundromat"
    • Need some fun? ...... then stop by the game room
    • Feeling like relaxing with a book? .... the library is the perfect place (includes a chess set)
    • Want to take a class and learn a new hobby? .... head on down the basement of the library, it is a full "Maker's area" with unique skill building stalls (Woodworking Table, flower arranging, painting, fizzy making, and candle making)
    • Need to cool down after a hard day at work? ..... head to the neighborhood pool or challenge someone to some hoops
    • Got a great deal on some steak and ribs? .... No problem, there's a neighborhood grilling pavilion complete with a stage for open mic night!
    • Want to catch the latest movie? .... the Clubhouse has all your streaming services and a cozy fireplace

• Options
    WhubbleWhubble Posts: 62 Member
    I don't currently do this, but have decided from now on that my sims are going to get a taste of reality and their apartments are only going to have fixtures, sinks, toilets, basic appliances, counters, etc. Like real life :D
    The Sims is not a game, its a lifestyle choice.
    My 100-Baby Challenge: https://www.theplumtreeapp.com/public/62958b4f386aab7c7a1f98c2
  • Options
    Lisamango0Lisamango0 Posts: 150 Member
    Basic furniture
    I've made a few small units/appartments. I have put some basic furniture in the units, but that's also because I needed them to determine the size :D
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    When I'm setting up my rental units, it actually varies, as if I get an idea for the sim(s) I want to live there, I'll deck it out fully with furniture and everything for them. If I don't have a sim planned, I'll just do fixtures (kitchen/bathroom cabinets, lights, appliances) and figure it out later.

My one exception so far has been the Long Term Resident Motel I build on the Old Penelope Lot, because that's supposed to look like a cheap Motel. I'll probably do the same for the "hotel" I plan to put in Del Sol Valley.

Of course, I have zero plans to actually play as a landlord at any point. The closest I plan to get is to motherlode the Landgraabs a few times and have them buy the lot so I can set up rules for buildings I want to have rules. I just want a few more options to have sim households living in world (as opposed to pretending they're living in the shell houses.)

For the gallery, I prefer to do fixtures only, so that it's a nice mostly blank canvas for others to use.