Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For Rent Negative thread

Comments

• Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    I dislike the rabbit hole text adventures. If this has to be a rabbit hole then I prefer one without text messages. At least then we will have the benefit of being able to focus on other family members without interruptions. I also don't think the sanctuary should have been mentioned as a feature in the first blog post. A few text messages to read is not a main gameplay feature.
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I am also disappointed by the Q&A. Why do they not allow residential rentals on penthouses. These penthouses were our best option to build apartments on high buildings and now we are not allowed to do so? This restriction makes no sense. Penthouses can support different kinds of residential (regular residentials, tiny homes, haunted houses and dorms) and owned lots like restaurants and retail. Why not the new apartments? I really don't like that they gave the impression that we could build everywhere when in reality we can't. I know we can build on the regular lot next to the sky scrapers but that's just not the same.

About the 99 per save : would have been nice to know a bit sooner. But I never planned on having units everywhere so no big deal for me.

Let's recap all the info gathered this week: no penthouses, tiny world with small lots, animal sanctuary... Not sure if this is worth 40€. I am reconsidering buying in December and wait for a sale after all.

At least maintenence trouble and mold are optional.

To be fair it might be how it was program.

Perhaps. But what exactly is the penthout gameplay that can't be combined with rental units? Whatever it is, it is obviously no objection for dorms, tiny houses, haunted houses, restaurants, retail,... on penthouses. Allowing rental units on a penthouse would have been a great example of cross pack compatibility, best of both worlds packs. But looks like that's not gonna happen.
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,929 Member
    They really should of told us those Q&A before saying "build away!" :'(

I am fine with small lots.. I am "fine-ish" with just 9 lots in new world.. but now.. penthouses were what I planned. I am just ranting out loud.. I'll get over it, but ugh... :(
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    Once more I get to be upsetti spaghetti

Why on earth can't residential rentals work on penthouse lots when other lot types work?
    and why oh why do we keep having rabbit holes instead of actual activities for our sims *deep sigh*
    what is the point of going to animal sanctuary without any animals to see or interact with?

also why add tuk tuks if we can't even use them thats just so sad
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    I dislike the rabbit hole text adventures. If this has to be a rabbit hole then I prefer one without text messages. At least then we will have the benefit of being able to focus on other family members without interruptions. I also don't think the sanctuary should have been mentioned as a feature in the first blog post. A few text messages to read is not a main gameplay feature.
    I am also disappointed by the Q&A. Why do they not allow residential rentals on penthouses. These penthouses were our best option to build apartments on high buildings and now we are not allowed to do so? This restriction makes no sense. Penthouses can support different kinds of residential (regular residentials, tiny homes, haunted houses and dorms) and owned lots like restaurants and retail. Why not the new apartments? I really don't like that they gave the impression that we could build everywhere when in reality we can't. I know we can build on the regular lot next to the sky scrapers but that's just not the same.

About the 99 per save : would have been nice to know a bit sooner. But I never planned on having units everywhere so no big deal for me.

Let's recap all the info gathered this week: no penthouses, tiny world with small lots, animal sanctuary... Not sure if this is worth 40€. I am reconsidering buying in December and wait for a sale after all.

At least maintenence trouble and mold are optional.

To be fair it might be how it was program.

Perhaps. But what exactly is the penthout gameplay that can't be combined with rental units? Whatever it is, it is obviously no objection for dorms, tiny houses, haunted houses, restaurants, retail,... on penthouses. Allowing rental units on a penthouse would have been a great example of cross pack compatibility, best of both worlds packs. But looks like that's not gonna happen.

Again the penthouses can be build,but it still a part of shell
  • Options
    BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    I expected most of the catches revealed in the Q&A. But it really seems like the rent mechanic is all there is to have for gameplay which really is unfortunate. Everything in the pack looks great but it could use more meat on its bones for gameplay, I think.Tempted to wait for a sale after all. We'll see.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    I really don't understand how ppl will play a rental lot with more than 6 units??? The large building itself might be nice, and is still allowed, but do you really need to populate 10 units? 20 units? It sounds like you guys are moving an entire hood into one build? :) I suspect you might find it a bit overwhelming, and maybe 5-6 units will be plenty for the feel of a busy rental house?

If you expand the total 99 units limit per save, maybe it will be possible to play those lots in different saves? I mean, 8 sims per unit would be a good bunch of sims anyway for one save, 792 sims to be exact. That would for sure slow down my game.

Or you could keep your planned build but either avoid assigning all the planned units, or assign some units to cover multiple planned units, to keep the total number of units down.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    LeucosiaXLeucosiaX Posts: 1,608 Member
    edited November 2023
    I really wish we had Hotels/Inns coming with this pack, the possibilities would be amazing. 🤔

Multi Functional lots would make this pack golden despite all the set backs but we are experiencing inflation gameplay for expansion pack prices.

The Animal Sanctuary and Botanical Gardens should have never been mentioned as a featured because it's something that makes it sound like more than what they dish out. I would have not mind as much, if it was not so built up. I have not come to expect much from these expansions, but my heart is broken about the animal sanctuary. The Development team should know already, animals are a huge success with sales.
  • Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    I really don't understand how ppl will play a rental lot with more than 6 units??? The large building itself might be nice, and is still allowed, but do you really need to populate 10 units? 20 units? It sounds like you guys are moving an entire hood into one build? :) I suspect you might find it a bit overwhelming, and maybe 5-6 units will be plenty for the feel of a busy rental house?

If you expand the total 99 units limit per save, maybe it will be possible to play those lots in different saves? I mean, 8 sims per unit would be a good bunch of sims anyway for one save, 792 sims to be exact. That would for sure slow down my game.

Or you could keep your planned build but either avoid assigning all the planned units, or assign some units to cover multiple planned units, to keep the total number of units down.

I think people are less bothered by the limit of units per lot (which can be changed with the cheat) and more disappointed at the total number of units per save. 99 is limiting for anyone who plays a whole bunch of households, or simply wants to populate an entire "world". It's especially frustrating in a game with no world builder, lot placement tool, and limited lots.
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,877 Member
    99 un it’s per save is not much considering we have 22 residential worlds if we count Tomarang, that would mean what, 4, 5 units per world ? Now, I don’t plan on putting rental residentials in every world but that could be limiting for some people.

The Animal sanctuary being a rabbit hole is disappointing, but at least it will have pop-up messages and we can get specific objects, so they made it more interactive at least.

No boats : that’s not a huge surprise considering you’d probably need to own Island Living to be able to use them properly.
    I thought we’d get a rabbit hole ferry boat though, like the boat in Brindleton Bay you can use to travel to the island.

Why are marbles kid specific though ? My teens could have played marbles. I’m glad to have more activities for kids though.

We haven’t had a new career in a long time, I was hoping we’d get a new one maybe ? I’d love it if there was like a zoologist/wildlife biologist career or something. Though managing rentals could be a full time job.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    Disappointing that they're not increasing the number of floors we can make. I've been dying to make high-rise buildings, and four floors on the largest don't cut it.
    I was planning on packing an apartment with tons of lots to make for a challenging land owner run. Not 20, but a lot. Plus I like the idea of my sims having a lot of recurring neighbors they could run into in their day to day lives - it's not like I need to actively play all those households at once or anything.

My dad does maintenance in the apartment he lives in, and I tagged along a few times when I stayed with him. So being able to run into various, varied people each and every day was part of the charm of apartment living.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    I haven't played the game that much so I thought that I would place down some apartment blocks. There are loads of them where I live. But many lots in the world are too small and now I can't place too many of them in my save either.

*sigh, it is what it is... they probably put those restrictions in place for performance reasons, maybe the save file would become too difficult to load.

I kinda would have expected them to make an actual botanical garden or something. I guess a park will have to do. And we have multi-functional lots now, I wish we could use them to design our own festivals.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    You know I was thinking theres no way I am going to build 99 units so no worry
    but then again that being divided by 22 worlds is just about 4 units per world so... :sweat_smile:
    sounds like I have to start doing some math and thinking which worlds to exclude :joy:
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    edited November 2023

I am fine with small lots.. I am "fine-ish" with just 9 lots in new world.. but now.. penthouses were what I planned. I am just ranting out loud.. I'll get over it, but ugh... :(

This! Old apartments I can understand, but why have penthouses been left out? They are literally just a lot in the sky! They can be turned into other lot types, why not multi unit lots? Fingers crossed a mod corrects this.

Also question about the 99 unit limit. If I place an additional unit on a lot, would that count as two units, or a lot with one additional unit? I ask because 50 lots acting as two units (adding only 50 extra units for households to occupy) is very different than 99 lots plus an additional unit (adding 99 extra units for households to occupy).
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    edited November 2023
    logion wrote: »
    I kinda would have expected them to make an actual botanical garden or something. I guess a park will have to do. And we have multi-functional lots now, I wish we could use them to design our own festivals.

I wish I could remember now who suggested this to me, so I could give credit, but... you can use the community lots from Eco Living very effectively to make seasonal festivals (like we had in TS3). There are four types of lots you can predecorate, and then when each season rolls around, you can simply have someone in the neighborhood vote for it, or use a cheat to instantly turn the lot to the appropriate seasonal festival.

If I recall correctly, I did them in order, left to right, as spring, summer, fall, and winter, and the mandatory objects for each sub-lot type fit the season pretty well. (With additional activities, of course.) If you want a different type of festival, with different recurring themes, I'm sure you could do that, too.

Mine is still a WIP, but I have really enjoyed having it... if anyone is interested, I can upload an example to the gallery.

ETA: I actually think this was @EmmaVane's idea originally, so she may have suggestions, too.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Answering the Simmingal at start of this thread:
    Simmingal wrote: »
    are all these beautiful buildings just shells and rabbitholes? are all these pier houses just shells?
    - yup
    Can we actually use any transportation seen in this trailer?
    - nope
    are we not going to get proper burglars with proper burglar attire, big sacks of items, burglar alarms and police catching them? is it just another random crop top girl taking my stuff?

- turns out the crop top girl doesn't even take my stuff unless she is kleptomaniac
    I might have to go donate the stuff to crop top girls in need :disappointed:
    Post edited by Simmingal on
  • Options
    PixelPrincezzPixelPrincezz Posts: 321 Member
    LeucosiaX wrote: »
    I really wish we had Hotels/Inns coming with this pack, the possibilities would be amazing. 🤔

Multi Functional lots would make this pack golden despite all the set backs but we are experiencing inflation gameplay for expansion pack prices.

The Animal Sanctuary and Botanical Gardens should have never been mentioned as a featured because it's something that makes it sound like more than what they dish out. I would have not mind as much, if it was not so built up. I have not come to expect much from these expansions, but my heart is broken about the animal sanctuary. The Development team should know already, animals are a huge success with sales.

I agree, the fact that they lack Multi Functional lots is really annoying and I'd love to actually see the Animal Sanctuary and Botanical Garden properly.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” ― Oscar Wilde
    EA ID: PixelPrincezz
    90dia7ml8p6n.jpg
  • Options
    MarteziaKingMarteziaKing Posts: 277 Member
    Haven't been on the forums in a few days and I just got done reading the Q&A...yikes. I'm tripping about how small the lots are in Tomarang (except for that one 40x30 lot), marbles are for children only (adults love them too, y'know), we can't build residential rental lots in the vacation worlds or on the penthouse lots from San Myshuno, and of course (not surprisingly), the animal sanctuary is a rabbit hole. They also didn't mention anything about the botanical garden, which sucks. 🥲

A bit more on the positive side, at least Snooping Sims and burglars aren't the same thing (they're similar though) and the new mold death doesn't turn our Sims into zombies. 👌
    6bkvqyxctsjq.jpg
    ♥ If you can't be the light in the shadows, be the gem that refracts the light all around ♥
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    Aaaargh! *sigh*

Okay, so I don't really like to comment too much in the negative thread before I've seen the livestream, but... ugh. I've got some stuff to say. Sorry, this is long-winded.

First, I'll start with the 99 unit limit, because this is a HUGE downer for me. I currently have over 200 played Sims in my game right now. I know, that's a lot, and if I had to, I could possibly trim it a little bit, which I might do anyway, and just mark the ones I don't play as much as "unplayed". But it's still going to continue to grow as next generations are born. So Imma need some space, guys. I have a decent-ish computer system that I will be upgrading in a few months, so I keep on top of performance. Does it matter with this game? Apparently not. It's so. Frustrating! They announce this big cheat that lets us have more than six units on a lot, but wait until now to tell us that there's a unit count limit? Way to harsh my buzz, dudes.
    I notice there are people questioning why 99 units isn't enough, assuming that everyone, for some reason, wants to fill each lot with a full 8 Sim count. Well, I'll try to explain the issue with examples from my own game:

So, I currently have a senior community housing lot with 8 individual units. That's one Sim per unit, taking 8 units. Then, I have a boarding house with four units, each built for one Sim per unit. That's already 12 units. I also have a tiny trailer park of two trailers, each with two Sims - 14 units. I have students in Uni, a friend group, who will need starter apartments for their new lives. Some will be roommates, some will live independently, depending on their careers. That's about 5-6 units, each with one or two Sims. I wanted to put some dense apartments in San Myshuno (but not on penthouses!) for big city living, thinking about 10 compact units, so each only holding 1-3 Sims. I also wanted some huts in Sulani (but not on the beach!), about 4 or 5. What are we up to now for units? 33-35? And that doesn't include the other future plans I had for a ranch boarding house, luxury apartments in maybe Newcrest, a few apartment blocks in Del Sol to make it useful, possibly one in Magnolia Promenade to make use of that tiny world, a shabby, run-down place in Moonwood for Werewolves (and possibly other Occults), a "magic" house with portals for Spellcasters, the fairy tree huts and hovels for my six fae, a downtown Windenburg old tudor converted to units... seriously, a lot of plans for this. I wanted to transfer many of my current single fam households to apartments so that they could be closer to each other and interact in the same "community". It helps keep up with relationships for rotational players. I'm sorry, but this decision is just so frustrating because it never made sense to me in the first place why the default for Sims, especially young adults, was to start off in a single family home. Who has that kind of money at that age? So yeah, huge disappointment.

My next complaint will be about rabbit holes and world/lot sizes. Because more rabbit holes? Really, we're going to keep doing this?? More text adventures from the 1970s? Yeah, I've been noticing the diminishing of world activities and new community lots for more and more rabbit holes. Look EA, I understand performance is a concern after 9 years. But you are not creating the EPs equal to past ones anymore. People are still paying the same prices for this skimping and cutting corners, and it's not a good look, especially when Indy games are smashing it with smaller budgets. If the game doesn't perform the same way for everyone, then you have to own that and tell people they have to make choices. What about the players who came in only a few years ago and only own a few packs? They're going to shell out $40 for an EP for rabbit holes and a nine lot world? For crying out loud, the theme is apartments, it implies denser living! And we have at least three game packs with equal or more lots in them. So we have a majority of tiny lots and a rabbit hole and some same 'ol food festival activities, none of which we can change, of course, because there are no world editing tools still? What is happening? EA, loosen those purse strings, your CEO loves the brag of being a billion-dollar game but the greed is just vulgar at this point.

On Traits and gameplay - the game won't simulate Nosy Sims finding out secrets, they're just going to stand there, staring at other Sims while they converse for nothing? They, you know, all kind of do that anyway. And what's the point of breaking and entering without a threat of consequences? The resident Sim will kick them out? And...? Will the Traits in this pack actually simulate and add diversity of personality or are they going to end up just being full of repetitious idles that do nothing?

This all bums me out. Can we at least get some world editing tools at some point? At least that could help alleviate some of the massive limitations of this game. I'd love to be able to delete the rabbit holes and some of the shells that take up precious space and turn them into usable lots or at least some kind of customized static scenery that I prefer.

I'll still be watching the livestream and hoping for a light at the end of the tunnel, but that 99 unit limit...you're killin' me, guys. I miss Sims 2 so much.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    jennieeffinjennieeffin Posts: 184 Member
    I expected everything discussed in the Q&A so I'm not too bummed. I have been wanting Multi-Unit housing for a long time now so it's still a one day purchase for me.

The only real bummer for me is the 99 unit limit. For people like me that have all the packs, I'm pretty much already there. Most of my worlds already have some sort of multi-unit set up that I am just waiting to convert. I'm going to have to use it sparingly, limiting to 4-5 per world or omitting whole worlds from this so that other worlds, like Windenburg, can have ten or more units.

...I really hope there's a cheat or mod to expand the limit.
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    edited November 2023

yeah i feel like it was a bit of an “oopsie” on their part for getting people excited and telling them to build away if there were a few limitations they were not aware of. I had downloaded a small island hut lot for the indigenous Sulani Sims to live off on one of the waterfront lots….lol had to demolish it and place it somewhere else but then build more on it bc the lot became way too bare without the water part, as that lot was intended to be placed there.
    Post edited by Coconut27 on
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    filipomel wrote: »

This! Old apartments I can understand, but why have penthouses been left out? They are literally just a lot in the sky! They can be turned into other lot types, why not multi unit lots? Fingers crossed a mod corrects this.

Also question about the 99 unit limit. If I place an additional unit on a lot, would that count as two units, or a lot with one additional unit? I ask because 50 lots acting as two units (adding only 50 extra units for households to occupy) is very different than 99 lots plus an additional unit (adding 99 extra units for households to occupy).

The units are defined by outlines in different colors, so no matter how you play a unit, the game will see it as one unit as long as it has the same outline. We'll lean about this come Friday live stream! :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited November 2023
    LiELF wrote: »

My next complaint will be about rabbit holes and world/lot sizes. Because more rabbit holes? Really, we're going to keep doing this?? More text adventures from the 1970s? Yeah, I've been noticing the diminishing of world activities and new community lots for more and more rabbit holes. Look EA, I understand performance is a concern after 9 years. But you are not creating the EPs equal to past ones anymore. People are still paying the same prices for this skimping and cutting corners, and it's not a good look, especially when Indy games are smashing it with smaller budgets.

Especially since the game have many existing resources like multi-functional lots and different types of models already.

Imagine if the botanical garden and the market plaza were real lots and we could also drive the tuk tuk around...

I agree with you, this is not a good look. A small world, small lots, rabbit holes, loading screens to visit different units...
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    LeucosiaX wrote: »

I heavily agree. While I dont necessarily mind the animal sanctuary being a rabbithole, I do not think that rabbitholes should be a part of the advertising at all because this game already offers very little gameplay objects, even with EPs, so advertising it early makes it seem like it's something more than what it is.

I stand by my belief that HR was a game pack with EP pricing. I'm worried that this will be the new set model for TS4 here on out as it gets closer to its end. Give less for more, because the game can't handle a lot, but EA still wants to make huge bank, even if it means not giving the product as advertised.
  • Options
    but then again that being divided by 22 worlds is just about 4 units per world so... :sweat_smile:
    sounds like I have to start doing some math and thinking which worlds to exclude :joy:

I started doing the math, and with the lots i've already placed in my save, and without the Tomarang units, I'm already at 76....so I better stop adding more rental residential lots :D
  • Options
    jennieeffinjennieeffin Posts: 184 Member
    Coconut27 wrote: »

I started doing the math, and with the lots i've already placed in my save, and without the Tomarang units, I'm already at 76....so I better stop adding more rental residential lots :D

I literally just did the math and I am already past 99 exiting "multi-housing" units of various kinds that I've just been playing as standard residential with door locking or using the roommate system. So I will have to whittle things way down.