Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Packs you do NOT want in your game

There is a great Playstation sale right now. I can afford all of the older EPs, if I want them. I might not want them all.

When I transitioned to console after the loss of my PC, I have enjoyed playing with less packs. It was less chaotic without occults and celebrities. Everything was simpler and slower. I had time to devote to things that had been previously ignored and not yet discovered. There are some things that I dearly miss though!

In some of the EPs, for each thing that I miss, there are two things that I am glad to NOT have, and at least 10 things that I don't care about. I am relieved to be spared all the drama of teen crushes and prom invitations and the chaos and rudeness of celebrities!

I started playing the Sims 4 late. I had little idea what was added with each pack as I snapped up lots of packs while they were on sale for Black Friday. Now here I am a year later at another Black Friday sale, starting over. I played for awhile without Seasons, and I enjoyed playing in Granite Falls as it was originally designed to be played. I repurchased Seasons yesterday, though.

Are there any packs that you would remove from your game even if you owned them? Why?

Comments

• Options
    Serendipity38Serendipity38 Posts: 1,257 Member
    The only pack that I don't want in my game that I have, is Eco Living. I hemmed and hawed about getting it in the first place, as I didn't think it was something I'd really want in my game. But some of the advertised play sounded like it would be neat to try out for something different. And same with some of the Build/Buy. BUT! I quickly found out that the NAPs were the bane of my simming existence! So yeah, I have the game set that it doesn't recognize that I own/have downloaded Eco Living, so I don't have to worry about THAT stuff any more. It was (to me here, not saying for others, your mileage may vary) totally NOT worth the buy.

And I think that's how I feel about the upcoming For Rent EP. Seriously. New B/B is always cool as well as new in game features that aren't totally hinged around the rental system and all. But the whole premise of For Rent isn't something that goes with my play style. So, MAYBE....Maybe SOMEDAY...I might get For Rent, on a sale if it goes half off say. But I would think long and hard before buying it. I learned my lesson from Eco Living.
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    The luxury stuff pack, got it for free so I’m glad I didn't pay. The entire CAS is tacky, and flashy. Looking at it, it’s like bad CC
  • Options
    Katofhyrule12Katofhyrule12 Posts: 720 Member
    I quickly found out that the NAPs were the bane of my simming existence!

On PC, I used a lot of the debug items from Eco Lifestyle, but on console, we cannot use cheats and aspirations at the same time. Without access to the debug, it is not worth adding back in the NAPs and other stuff that does not turn off 100%.
    The luxury stuff pack, got it for free so I’m glad I didn't pay. The entire CAS is tacky, and flashy. Looking at it, it’s like bad CC

Is this the pack with the vanity table? And the Butler? It has not been on sale for me yet, since I started playing on console. I never knew the vanity table had gameplay until recently. I tried a butler a couple times and was so annoyed.
  • Options
    Cross-pack play is different when different packs are installed. I just rebought Snowy Escape and I am curious how the Ito family behaves without Get Famous installed.
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    edited November 2023
    No the pack you’re thinking of Vintage Glamour, one of the best packs ironically.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    Maybe Toddler Stuff, because I don't use it very often. I wouldn't buy Eco Living or Snowy Escape. I tried the trials of them both and didn't particularly like either one.

In Sims 3 I regretted Late Night, Showtime, and into the Future.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    No the pack you’re thinking of Vintage Glamour, one of the best packs ironically.

Thanks for explaining the difference!
    Maybe Toddler Stuff, because I don't use it very often. I wouldn't buy Eco Living or Snowy Escape. I tried the trials of them both and didn't particularly like either one.

In Sims 3 I regretted Late Night, Showtime, and into the Future.

I first played Sim 3 after I played Sims 4. It was with Sims 3 that I first started playing without packs that I owned.

• Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    The menswear kit - annoyingly, I'm all in favor of more male CAS content and would gladly buy a pack that wasn't so focused on being... "fashion forward". I want stuff my sims will actually wear. Happy for anyone who loved the style, but it felt like an attempt to just slip in more female CAS content but call it male. Felt like a bit of a slap in the face to simmers who had been asking for more male content.
  • Options
    BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    The Star Wars pack. Of course, it's so not to my liking that I never got it to begin with and never will.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,343 Member
    For the longest time Seasons was my "Don't want" pack, but then snowpal building in Mt. Komorebi broke, I was sad irl and so I caved in.
    To this day Seasons is wonderful IF I can get it to do what I want, but utterly annoying when it does its own thing.
    - 28 day seasons in an aging off game are immersion breaking (every 28 days of winter the game thinks it should get warmer).
    - The different climates per world make using Henford as an extension to Windenburg for space reasons difficult - even if I force snow in Henford, it takes a day for it to accumulate enough to match Windenburg.
    - Sims ignoring holiday traditions because of traits and age stereotypes them too much for my taste.

At the moment I cannot see myself ever wanting High School years and Growing together. They come with features I find intrusive and I don't play generationally anyway, so their main features wouldn't enhance my game. I'm just sad about missing out on treehouses and teach to bike.
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited November 2023
    bizuktag wrote: »
    The menswear kit - annoyingly, I'm all in favor of more male CAS content and would gladly buy a pack that wasn't so focused on being... "fashion forward". I want stuff my sims will actually wear. Happy for anyone who loved the style, but it felt like an attempt to just slip in more female CAS content but call it male. Felt like a bit of a slap in the face to simmers who had been asking for more male content.
    This. I wanted traditionally masculine content. And on the rare occasion I make my masculine sims wear femme-y clothes, I wouldn't put them in those ugly, bland Menswear skirts. I don't want those clothes clogging up the already-packed CAS, and I wouldn't want to run into a bunch of townies wearing these outfits. (I'm assuming they're not disabled for random.) At least with Batuu, I can ignore everything and the items are (supposed to be) disabled for random.

It's pretty telling that I forgot everything about the kit outside of the skirts. The rest of it are generic pants, or really ugly knit sweaters. So boring. Not everything has to be crazy, but it feels so run-of-the-mill and generic.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    MarteziaKingMarteziaKing Posts: 277 Member
    edited November 2023
    I know I'm not a console player (I play on PC), but I figured that I'll give my two cents on this. Even though I'm not gonna remove any of my packs from my game, but if I had to choose, it would be My Wedding Stories because I don't think I'm gonna use the main feature any time soon and well, the huge controversy regarding the pack that happened last year and how broken it was on release. 🫠

I gotta give a "special" mention to these three packs/kits...even though I don't own them - Journey to Batuu, Modern Menswear, and Courtyard Oasis. The reason why I don't own these packs is because I'm not a Star Wars fan (Journey to Batuu), I don't play with male Sims and the clothes are ugly as sin (Modern Menswear), and what the heck am I even gonna do with any of these build mode items (Courtyard Oasis)? 🤡
    Post edited by MarteziaKing on
    6bkvqyxctsjq.jpg
    ♥ If you can't be the light in the shadows, be the gem that refracts the light all around ♥
  • Options
    RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,139 Member
    The only packs I know I'll never get are Modern Menswear and the Carnival Streetwear kits.

Even though I'm not extremely interested in the game play of HSY or MWS, I still plan on getting them eventually just for the worlds, CAS, and B&B.

Playing on PC means I can usually mod out things I dislike, so the good things in a pack generally out way the bad for me. And yes, even Batuu has it's pluses.

If I had to remove one pack of each type from the ones I currently have though:

EP - Growing Together
    GP - Journey to Batuu
    SP - My First Pet
    Kit - Moonlight Chic

The expansion was the hardest one, but I chose GT because I haven't played with it enough yet to get attached to anything. I'd probably still miss the CAS and B&B though.
  • Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,658 Member
    I generally don’t buy all of the packs so I’m very picky about the packs I do buy. As a result, I don’t wind up with many that I don’t like. I have a few packs that I probably wouldn’t have bought if they weren’t on a good sale, but I wanted for some BB or CAS reason. I held off getting Get Famous for ages, because I never liked the celebrity system in TS3. I really wanted some of the CAS items though, and eventually picked it up on a deep discount. Still don’t like the celebrity gameplay, and really don’t play in Del Sol Valley much. I got School Years and Discover University through giveaways. I mostly wanted the worlds and a school presence in my game, but really don’t incorporate the gameplay much. I’d still keep them, though, because they serve their purpose in my game.

The one I could absolutely do without is Eco Lifestyle. I did the free trial because it looked interesting, especially the world. But, I was immediately put off by the NAPS and the nonfunctional apartment balconies, so I didn’t pick it up.

All of that is to say, I find the packs I need the most are the ones that I immediately knew I would like. The big exception to that, for me, was Paranormal. I picked it up on a deep discount just for Guidry and the CAS/BB items. I originally wasn’t too keen on the seance gameplay, but the whole Paranormal investigator gig has become a major part of my world’s backstory. So, there are some that do surprise me, in a good way.

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Thank you everyone that is participating. There are so many activities and features that I have assumed are in one pack, but are actually in another one. I did not have the opportunity to add the packs one at a time to notice the exact differences.

For those of you mentioning the menswear, it is important to understand that any CAS that is installed could populate anywhere at anytime! Thank you for mentioning that! I have mostly been worried about adding gameplay features.

I am also relieved not to have some entire families in my game this time. Don't we all wish some people in real life would cease to exist in our version of the universe? LOL No more sick cats and dogs walking around.

There are some items that I would pay a ridiculous amount of money to add if I could just add the item and not the rest of the pack.

Wedding Stories was one of the first packs that I repurchased, because the buggy parts don't affect my gameplay which just doesn't include weddings. The world is pretty, and at the time, it was the cheapest way for me to add a swimmable area. In contrast, HSY affects teens in every world and all the time. I was once playing in Moonwood Mills and Jacob was hurt that my drop-out Sim did not ask him to prom, and since that happened every week, he became too hurt to be her friend.

Sometimes less is more. I love cross-pack play when I love the feature, but I hate cross-pack play when I hate the feature.
    Post edited by Katofhyrule12 on
  • Options
    cyncie wrote: »
    So, there are some that do surprise me, in a good way.

Being surprised by something we did not expect to like would make a good thread in itself.

• Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,576 Member
    I would have said skip My Wedding Stories, but now that we're getting multi-unit lots, it might pick up a lot more value as a fun world to crowd up.
  • Options
    wildflower42wildflower42 Posts: 37 Member
    I will never own Vampires. I don't care much for occult packs, but I feel I would absolutely despise vampires the most. I don't have much interest for the world nor do I care about the BB.
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,977 Member
    I have all the packs, and I find something I like in all of them, It could be some of my favorite hairs furniture, walls, build items, clothes, or storage box. it could be holes and cracks in the walk, it could be the world, or the swimming areas, the extra plants or animals, it could be things like, likes, and dislikes. I have some favorite packs, but all contribute to my play in someway.
  • Options
    Jess_KimbaJess_Kimba Posts: 20 Member
    Eco Lifestyle. Ugly CAS, ugly world, annoying gameplay. Just going to clutter up my game. I won’t bundle it, I won’t buy it on sale. It’s a big no from me.

All of the kit packs. Bust the Dust would be good if it wasn’t buggy.

Moschino Stuff. Again, ugly clutter.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    I do not want high school years in my game for the following reasons
    - no global off switch for the body hair. Going through loading screens to set this for every sim in the world separately is to time consuming
    - no interest in crushes
    - no interest in the social bunny interfering with sims relationships
    - emotional reasons : I still feel this pack was released in a way that it hurt the werewolves pack (a pack I had been asking for for years.) On top of that the release was very pushy. They tried to nudge simmers by sneakily prolonging the teen lifestage for everyone without even the decency to mention this in the patch notes. Similar thing for the phone obsession. It looks good on teens so they implemented it for everyone. Even people who don't like to play teens and don't want this pack are stuck with sims who are unable to have a single conversation without looking at their phone. Thank you modders for coming to the rescue
    Even if the pack was released with more respect towards (occult) simmers and with decent on/off options I would still find the theme boring at best.
    The art deco looks amazing but I am not sure if it is worth all the frustration.

Modern men's wear : I have no need for skirts for men. Should I ever do need them (not gonna happen) I can disable the feminine filter in CAS.

Honorable mentions : I won't disable these packs, but wouldn't buy them again if I had to start over.
    - get famous. I don't play celebrities, except once for my supersim. The world is 'meh'. It has some pretty build buy but not worth the price for my play style.
    - perfect patio : became pretty pointless after the anniversary update that patched in hot tubs. This pack has zero content left, only filler. It should be downgraded to a kit.
    - luxury party stuff : I like exactly one (1) hair from this pack and the unique item is no longer exclusive for this pack. With my wedding stories you can get a buffet table as well.
  • Options
    scoed1227scoed1227 Posts: 145 Member
    edited November 2023
    Bust the Dust kit, Dine Out and My Wedding Stories. I own every kit and pack and these three I do not use. They are buggy and not that fun
    I have Bust the Dust toggled off, And a mod so I can have the original base game weddings to avoid the nightmare of those rwo and I NEVER put a restaurant in my games. I basically disabled.them because of my strong dislike of the bug fests. Buying these packs was such a waste.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Thank you again everyone! You all have such interesting tips and opinions!
    Kerrigan wrote: »
    I would have said skip My Wedding Stories, but now that we're getting multi-unit lots, it might pick up a lot more value as a fun world to crowd up.

What an interesting idea! I cannot wait to see the first beachfront building.
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    I do not want high school years in my game for the following reasons

Honorable mentions : I won't disable these packs, but wouldn't buy them again if I had to start over.

Your list of features and items in the individual packs is so helpful!

More reasons NOT to own HSY. Thanks for reminding me! There are parts of HSY that I was missing last night, but there are too many things in it that I do not want.

Does Wedding Stories give us a hottub as well as a buffet table, or is the hottub in Wedding Stories the basegame hottub?

SheriSim57 wrote: »
    I have all the packs, and I find something I like in all of them, It could be some of my favorite hairs furniture, walls, build items, clothes, or storage box. it could be holes and cracks in the walk, it could be the world, or the swimming areas, the extra plants or animals, it could be things like, likes, and dislikes. I have some favorite packs, but all contribute to my play in someway.

Does anyone know which pack includes the cracks in the walls? Is that Vampires?
    I will never own Vampires. I don't care much for occult packs, but I feel I would absolutely despise vampires the most. I don't have much interest for the world nor do I care about the BB.

Vampires came bundled in the Halloween Sale Bundle that I bought the last day of that sale, but I did not install it. I don't want it right now, but ... maybe next Halloween, if I am bored, I might want it for a month or so. I do miss the garlic plant though! The plants are one of the favorite parts of my game.
    Jess_Kimba wrote: »
    Eco Lifestyle. Ugly CAS, ugly world, annoying gameplay. Just going to clutter up my game. I won’t bundle it, I won’t buy it on sale. It’s a big no from me.

All of the kit packs. Bust the Dust would be good if it wasn’t buggy.

Moschino Stuff. Again, ugly clutter.

I am not planning on adding any of these packs either.
  • Options
    scoed1227 wrote: »
    Bust the Dust kit, Dine Out and My Wedding Stories. I own every kit and pack and these three I do not use. They are buggy and not that fun
    I have Bust the Dust toggled off, And a mod so I can have the original base game weddings to avoid the nightmare of those rwo and I NEVER put a restaurant in my games. I basically disabled.them because of my strong dislike of the bug fests. Buying these packs was such a waste.

There is a basegame wedding that is no longer available when Wedding Stories is installed?

I have never placed a restaurant and it is something at the top of my list to try now. Without Getting Together, I do not have bar food and cafes. For awhile, the only prepared food available was the food stalls in Wedding Stories and they close at 6 pm. I forgot about the pizza delivery and bought Dine out, but still have not used it yet. Now that I bought Seasons and City Living, I am not in the same rush to tackle this.
  • Options
    scoed1227scoed1227 Posts: 145 Member
    For those blasting Modern Menswear I whole heartedly agree it is a horrid pack for male sims. But I find I actually like.some of it on my female.sims. Why they called it a men's wear kit is beyond me.