Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For Rent Positive Thoughts Thread

Comments

• Options
    flauschtrudflauschtrud Posts: 242 Member
    edited November 2023
    I'm excited for building apartments and the new possibilities that come with that :)

And I'm happy about a new more international world.

I kind of expected loading screens. I only hope the home section can somehow stay active. That would help a lot if the landlord doesn't have to send their kids to daycare while walking around the unit...

Regarding the managing of tenants. Wasn't there a leak a few months ago about someone who worked at redesigning world management? Maybe they worked on managing apartment buildings :)
    (I have no idea, just want to spread some hope :))
    I make gameplay mods! You can find them at CurseForge.
    My first attempt at creating a Sims comic: The Parker-Goth Legacy.
  • Options
    ULIBABA66ULIBABA66 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I'm excited for building apartments and the new possibilities that come with that :)

And I'm happy about a new more international world.

I kind of expected loading screens. I only hope the home section can somehow stay active. That would help a lot if the landlord doesn't have to send their kids to daycare while walking around the unit...

Regarding the managing of tenants. Wasn't there a leak a few months ago about someone who worked a redesigning world management? Maybe they worked on managing apartment buildings :)
    (I have no idea, just want to spread some hope :))

Oh gosh I forgot about that leak!! Hopefully they will confirm if there will be changes to world management feature in the upcoming livestream! Including how does the households for residential rental lots feature may work as long as it is possible in For Rent…I hope it is <3
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I think players overexaggerate things as they always do. A lot are taking this load screen thing to heart. Sims 4 was never an open world game and simmers often have unrealistic expectations for. it cannot magically become open world or neighborhoods unless a miracle happens.
    Now what I did/still do expect from this pack is an open world "feel".Having your neighbors so close and easy to get to, having the shared space which you could turn into a gym or maybe sell things in the space with the sales table, or any other creative ideas we come up with still gives it an open feel.
    I also expect it to be an easier way to interact with friends and family along with having stayovers that came with growing together.

I have zero problems with loading screens but it's all about how it's done. I saw people on xTwitter praising Sims 2 for being able to see your neighbors without loading in aparentments, so I went and found a video of it and there is indeed a loading screen in Sims 2. However, the way it's done is you see the apartment slowing loading up little by little but you cannot do anything until it's done "loading"
    I thought that was a really clever way to do the loading screen because it doesn't break immersion and I would not mind that at all, even as a landlord checking units. I'm hoping the loading works the same or similar for this pack.
    Worse case scenario it's the usual blue loading screen but I can live with that. Nothing in a video game is ever that serious for me it's just fun. And I appreciate the devs bringing us this whole complex system and letting us build aparentments. I feel like they are making really big steps considering the technical limitations of ts4.
    Thanks devs!! ᕕ( ՞ ᗜ ՞ )ᕗ
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    ... , so I went and found a video of it and there is indeed a loading screen in Sims 2. However, the way it's done is you see the apartment slowing loading up little by little but you cannot do anything until it's done "loading"

I played sims 3 on a low end PC for a while and the open world in that game behaved the same. If I zoomed to a lot it would visibly load while I was zooming in. On fast pc this would look seemless but on my potato lap top I could see. So even sims 3 didn't have everything loaded at once.

A loading screen between sims 4 apartments is a bit unfortunate but not that big of a deal for me. If we can get up to 6 units with each several sims in the household, the game would have a lot of sims to manage at once without loading screens. I am not surprised if there is some kind of loading between units.
  • Options
    SimSylSimSyl Posts: 17 Member
    > @Atreya33 said:
    If we can get up to 6 units with each several sims in the household, the game would have a lot of sims to manage at once without loading screens. I am not surprised if there is some kind of loading between units.

That is my main take-away from this situation. It would be too overwhelming to deal with multiple families at the same time, realistically. This is also why I don't exactly mind The Sims 4 not being open world, because in The Sims 3 I would get too focused on taking care of the needs of the sims at home to properly focus on the sims outside of the house. So personally for me this works well, and anything that can guarantee the game will run well on my laptop is a plus in my book!
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    I pretty much expect it to be like City Living, with sims randomly visiting the shared spaces and having to visit through a loading screen to enter their apartments. Being able to place custom apartments in other worlds and be able to own them are the main draw for me. It would be nice if there is a little extra added to apartment life than City Living.

It seems to me that we should be able to assign anyone we want to apartments. I can't imagine them not letting us.
    Setting up a apartment with the idea combination of characters would be a lot of fun and a key selling point.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    greydonngreydonn Posts: 717 Member
    On the subject of loading screens, I will say, technically, the tweet said loading time not loading screens. I'm holding out hope, for no reason, that this distinction was intentional.
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
  • Options
    ValravnWitchValravnWitch Posts: 91 Member
    ULIBABA66 wrote: »
    Of course it does allow us to pick the tenants? They CONFIRMED that already in the blog post + the gameplay trailer description so not sure why is that not public information because they already confirmed that...why else would we need loading screens too.

Cant speak for others, but for me the question isnt IF we can pick tenants, but rather HOW and especially as landlord, will it be like the employee picking or like the roommates or something else?
    Dont think the how was answerd yet...
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    My only complaint is that we need more floors, because I'd love to build a big, towering complex and fill it with sims. I guess I might have to just stash some sims in the basement levels and say they're mole people.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    Here's my theory about the landlord/tenant situation (without having read anything official, so correct me if I'm wrong): The landlord doesn't actually get to pick the tenants at all. They can set house rules and throw out tenants who don't play by them, but that's it. Of course, while building residential rentals, we can give individual units whatever names we want, like "Aunt XY's Place". But we as the players still get to decide who lives where, just like we do with all other residential lots. Empty apartments will stay empty until we move someone in, or the game does it for us if the "fill empty homes" option is enabled. This is a very different situation from choosing employees for a business, so I can't imagine the same rules applying.
  • Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    Here's my theory about the landlord/tenant situation (without having read anything official, so correct me if I'm wrong): The landlord doesn't actually get to pick the tenants at all. They can set house rules and throw out tenants who don't play by them, but that's it. Of course, while building residential rentals, we can give individual units whatever names we want, like "Aunt XY's Place". But we as the players still get to decide who lives where, just like we do with all other residential lots. Empty apartments will stay empty until we move someone in, or the game does it for us if the "fill empty homes" option is enabled. This is a very different situation from choosing employees for a business, so I can't imagine the same rules applying.

The gameplay trailer suggested otherwise. In case you haven't seen it, the landlord was able to click on the "rental" sign and see a list of available tenants along with their family makeup by age and their budget, and then (presumably) click a tenant and choose to fill a vacancy. Sort of like selecting an employee for a business.
  • Options
    BeckyI7FanBeckyI7Fan Posts: 123 Member
    I've never built anything in the game but will try once the pack is out
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,208 Member
    edited November 2023
    bizuktag wrote: »

The gameplay trailer suggested otherwise. In case you haven't seen it, the landlord was able to click on the "rental" sign and see a list of available tenants along with their family makeup by age and their budget, and then (presumably) click a tenant and choose to fill a vacancy. Sort of like selecting an employee for a business.

Okay, then that's probably another way to go about it. I still believe we'll also be able to move households into apartments from the world map, as we usually do. After all, there must be a possibility to move into apartments that don't have a played sim as the landlord.
  • Options
    wildflower42wildflower42 Posts: 37 Member
    New expansion seems promising to me. It has a lot of things I look for expansions, like a bright new world, more CAS traits, new build sets (new counters with matching cabinets and the new toilet) and new small appliances (I /really/ want the new cooker). It also looks like there's a new grill that's like a mangal, but I'm not too sure.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member

Okay, then that's probably another way to go about it. I still believe we'll also be able to move households into apartments from the world map, as we usually do. After all, there must be a possibility to move into apartments that don't have a played sim as the landlord.

Yeah, it seems pretty clear to me that it's a "both/and" situation, not an "either/or" situation. But I guess we will find out soon enough.
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »
    Rewatching the trailer, I do wonder one thing:

What is a Home Unit?

Judging from the square shaped box, I guess you can make multiple units home units. But what does ticking it do?

My guess is that Home Units are units where you can move households in, while non-Home Units are units where non-playable tenants move into and out from through gameplay.

But could someone ask that on TwitterX? And what is the max limit for Home Units?

Property owner's unit, if they live on site, maybe?
  • Options
    EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    Two things that caught my eye from the gameplay trailer:

1) It appears you can set lot traits/challenges per unit, rather than per lot. Would love for this to be the case!

2) It looks like you assign any built areas (such as rooms) to a unit via the unit drop-down. A little hard to tell from the trailer, but it may be possible to assign non-connected rooms to the same unit? That would be a great way to, for example, give each unit its own separate garage in a garage block, give each unit its own space for bee boxes/insect farms/chicken coops amongst a shared rooftop, or give each unit its own separate gardening space in a large garden allotment.

Or their own stables on a working farm/ranch with several live-in workers.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited November 2023
    I've been building an apartment for like 12 hours. 😩I downloaded the structure from the gallery and I'm pretty much redoing the whole thing.
    But it's coming out amazing. Instead of having every apartment room look the same like in real life, (I find that boring) I'm individualizing each unit.
    I probably got too many different themes going on 😅
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    edited November 2023
  • Options
    MeTime85MeTime85 Posts: 142 Member
    edited November 2023
    Reply to wrong quote.
    For-forum.jpg
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    Koi pond 😄 i don’t think we’ve had that fish species on this game yet.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    Coconut27 wrote: »
    Koi pond 😄 i don’t think we’ve had that fish species on this game yet.

In Snowy Escape and can be caught in the ponds in Willow Creek and Oasis Springs parks.

Though I can't help but also notice that UI was also captured...
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member

Oh wow I didn't know that was from Tomarang.
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member

Oh wow I didn't know that was from Tomarang.

Ooooo... part of the "botanical gardens" maybe?

My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain