Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For Rent Gameplay Trailer

124...Next

Comments

• Options
    SimDork23SimDork23 Posts: 524 Member
    edited November 2023
    Yeah, I’m thinking (& hoping, lol) that the tenant menu is just there for people who want to play as a landlord but don’t want to play as the tenants. It wouldn’t make any sense to allow us to build multi-family homes & not let us choose which sims live in them, lol.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    SimDork23 wrote: »
    Yeah, I’m thinking (& hoping, lol) that the tenant menu is just there for people who want to play as a landlord but don’t want to play as the tenants. It wouldn’t make any sense to allow us to build multi-family homes & not let us choose which sims live in them, lol.

They said we don't have to play as landlords if we don't want to and still be able to live in them, so we'll definitely be able to choose which sims move in unless you have the setting that allows for empty lots/houses to be filled in.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    I found the voice over well done and understood it for the most part. YouTube subtitles did the rest. I liked the transition from simlish to English.
    plumboy23 wrote: »
    Was it me or this trailer was really empty? Why call this a gameplay trailer when there's no gameplay in it?

The trailer showed how the landlord/tenant system. This was what I was most curious about so I am happy with the trailer. Not sure if that counts as gameplay. A bit more info on animal shelters and the night market would have been welcome too.
    BlueR0se wrote: »
    The landlord system looks very, very promising. If the pack isn't overridden by bugs, it could be a great pack.

EDIT: "The more renters you attract" bit has me concerned though. I do NOT care about attracting random NPCs for renting. I just want my own custom sims to rent to. I hope we can individually select the sims we can rent to.

EDIT x2: At around @ 0:50 mark in the video...are two apartments sharing the same bathroom in that video? Is that a thing in Thailand/other places? That seems like a goof to me.

I agree. I hope we can choose who moves into apartments. If you play a landlord and want quirky random npc move in, it works fine. But what if you want to have friends share apartments in the same build? I hope the livestream gives us the answer.
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,062 Member
    I had no idea there was a gameplay trailer yesterday... I missed out on all the trailer day fun. :D

Just watched the trailer and a few reaction/review videos afterwards.... I love how indepth we can get with setting up the individual units, shared spaces, rent amounts, lease length, etc. And it's all colour coded to boot. So awesome!

Three cheers for full customization!
    6XKegMv.gif

My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    Was it me or this trailer was really empty? Why call this a gameplay trailer when there's no gameplay in it?

They seemed to focus on mostly playing as a landlord. Probably because they felt it suited the narrative for the trailer better...

or because the rest of the pack doesn't look good to feature in a gameplay trailer, rabbit holes etc...
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,408 Member
    edited November 2023
    I'm more confused than ever. Can I pick the tenants freely? Can I play tenants other than the "main" household? If the answers are no then the system doesn't seem any better than roomies system to me. Also being able to have retail lots in the apartment building would be a gamechanger, but to my understanding it's not possible?
  • Options
    Brd709Brd709 Posts: 2,092 Member
    So just to clarify, my sim self can now purchase the house next door to him and let off to other sims and their families?
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member

It would be easier to respond to this if I knew your definition of "Gameplay" Every time I see someone say "there's no gameplay" what they usually mean is "There's nothing in this trailer that I personally find of interest, and I have trouble imagining that anyone else could have fun with the game in ways that I don't." Saw a ton of that with Horse Ranch from people who didn't want horses, and therefore didn't seem to acknowledge interacting with horses as gameplay.

Dealing with tennants? That's gameplay. Probably the main gameplay of the pack. Heck, I'd also argue (and we went round and round with this on the forums with Dream home decorator) that building lots and setting up the rental structures is also a form of gameplay, because it sets the foundation for the scenario to be played out.

So I don't know what "gameplay" you were looking for that you didn't see, but I saw plenty, even though I have no intention of actually playing as a landlord.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member

To optimize this pack's performance for all our players & in line with the current technology seen in The Sims 4 City Living, you'll be able to see shared spaces & your own unit, however there is a small load time as you travel to enter the homes of other units.
    We'll show exactly how all this works in the coming deep dive so stay tuned 😊

• Options
    nasch_katzenasch_katze Posts: 193 Member
    edited November 2023
    I expected it so no surprise here, and I don't know how they could have done otherwise without tweaking the way the whole game works anyway. It's not a deal breaker for me at all as this is pretty much how it worked in TS2 minus the loading screen, you still could only have one active unit at a time. If you entered someone else's apartment, the apartment you came from was blackened, it's just that it was seamless compared to For Rent.

As long as there is "artificial life" with neighbors coming out of their apartment and going to work, using shared spaces, knocking on our door etc. I'm fine with it, this is what I want from this EP.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    logion wrote: »

They seemed to focus on mostly playing as a landlord. Probably because they felt it suited the narrative for the trailer better...

or because the rest of the pack doesn't look good to feature in a gameplay trailer, rabbit holes etc...

There's usually been more than one gameplay trailer for an EP, and I felt like I barely understood the landlord system from this one. Adding more into one trailer would have been even more confusing.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    musteni wrote: »
    I'm more confused than ever. Can I pick the tenants freely? Can I play tenants other than the "main" household? If the answers are no then the system doesn't seem any better than roomies system to me. Also being able to have retail lots in the apartment building would be a gamechanger, but to my understanding it's not possible?

They haven't said a lot about how landlords select tenants yet. They have said we can play as tenants and never have to play as a landlord, and they haven't said we can't just move Sims in in Manage Households either, so my guess (right now) is we can.

I'd be astonished if retail on the lot is possible. That would have been a huge selling point and isn't mentioned anywhere.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    It looks very fun to me if it really works as announced
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member

To optimize this pack's performance for all our players & in line with the current technology seen in The Sims 4 City Living, you'll be able to see shared spaces & your own unit, however there is a small load time as you travel to enter the homes of other units.
    We'll show exactly how all this works in the coming deep dive so stay tuned 😊

Hm, sounds like playing a landlord could involve some loading times then because they probably have to travel a lot between units, but maybe it will work fine if you are just playing as a normal sim where you probably don't need to visit other units if you don't want to.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,890 Member
    @musteni Simguru Nova confirmed that we don't have to play as the landlord (thanks @catloverplayer from the other thread)

• Options
    Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member
    Unit Configurations along with the tenant agreement are some really nice features because of the customization available. The unit rules is something I plan to use. So happy one of the options is No Ghosts for those who do not want them showing up.
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • Options
    Hearts4u wrote: »
    Unit Configurations along with the tenant agreement are some really nice features because of the customization available. The unit rules is something I plan to use. So happy one of the options is No Ghosts for those who do not want them showing up.

I wonder, though if a unit rule means that those things won't happen or if they're a rule the tenant is supposed to follow, so if they don't, they're a bad tenant and you can evict them. (Or maybe even get evicted if you're the tenant?)
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I'm wondering that too about the rules because I definitely plan on having rule breaker Sims lol 😂
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    I saw some cute clutter items in the trailer.
  • Options
    ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
    Very excited! I lost my grandfather unexpectedly today and I've been throwing myself into the Sims and other things to try and grieve. This one of the small glimmers looking ahead right now.
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    @ashcrash19 so sorry to hear of your loss. The Sims has gotten me though some difficult times also. :)
  • Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    edited November 2023
    I wonder, though if a unit rule means that those things won't happen or if they're a rule the tenant is supposed to follow, so if they don't, they're a bad tenant and you can evict them. (Or maybe even get evicted if you're the tenant?)

If they break a rule, there's a fine. Perhaps after (X) amount of fines, you can evict them? I know there was a button in the UI that said something like "Evict unjustly", so I would expect the opposite to be true - for them to do something (like break rules) that allows you to evict for a reason.

Edited to add screenshot of the UI showing fines/evict button:

Jn55yOJ.jpg