Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For Rent Positive Thoughts Thread

Comments

• Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    I think the "Our Home" unit must be there before the rentable units can be added. And this worries me, because I'd like a landlord to own rentable units on lots without living there himself. Even in different worlds. Even full houses.

The "repoman" taking stuff confused me because it looked like the landlord rents out a fully equipped unit. So, would you take your own stuff because tentant did not pay rent...? I hope we can rent out equipped as well as empty units. It will be easier if playing the tenant is possible, and we want to redecorate. As soon as we play the tenant the landlord will lose control over the furniture anyway, so why adding it in the first place? A gift? ;)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    I think the "Our Home" unit must be there before the rentable units can be added. And this worries me, because I'd like a landlord to own rentable units on lots without living there himself. Even in different worlds. Even full houses.

The "repoman" taking stuff confused me because it looked like the landlord rents out a fully equipped unit. So, would you take your own stuff because tentant did not pay rent...? I hope we can rent out equipped as well as empty units. It will be easier if playing the tenant is possible, and we want to redecorate. As soon as we play the tenant the landlord will lose control over the furniture anyway, so why adding it in the first place? A gift? ;)

Maybe the tenants bring in some items too? The roommates bring in books and small decor items when they rent rooms, so maybe tenants bring some items too.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    If you're like me you're going to head to the Gallery for apartment builds. (After checking out all the awesome forum builds of course.)

Here's a list from Sims Community to get you started.

Looking for some Sims 4 apartment builds to get ready for the new For Rent expansion in December? Not to worry! Talented builders are already uploading the most beautiful multi-family dwellings to the Gallery so we can prepare our save files for when the expansion launches! We’ve gathered 10 of our favourite apartment builds from the Gallery for you right here!
    We Recommend:
    Bright Apartment House by SarahAmina
    Mt. Komorebi Apartments by axiisims
    Perfect Apartments by Deligracy
    Townhouses by FarmGirlGamer
    PaintedLadies by JamesTurnerYT
    Modern Townhouse Shell by Miss Daywalker
    Calloway Lux Apartments by snowdaysims
    Gated Community by MoonKittyLuna
    7 Home Apartment by Jigowatt85
    Eco Twin Houses by Eldircora

https://simscommunity.info/2023/11/17/sims-4-apartment-builds/
  • Options
    edited November 2023
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member

Does anyone know if your own sim's apartment becomes inactive if you visit another apartment? I suspect it will.

I am thinking about my Hogwarts castle. If my Gryffindor wants to visit a Hufflepuff, I guess I would have to group all the Gryffindors together for the visit and then let them do as they please, so they will be active in the castle and not shut off in their own common room.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    edited November 2023

To optimize this pack's performance for all our players & in line with the current technology seen in The Sims 4 City Living, you'll be able to see shared spaces & your own unit, however there is a small load time as you travel to enter the homes of other units.
    We'll show exactly how all this works in the coming deep dive so stay tuned 😊
  • Options
    SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    Glad the loading screen question was finally answered. :)
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited November 2023
    Hmmmm. A little disappointed about the load screen but it's not a big big deal either. I expected not all the units to be active at once though, and to be fair the load screens are literally a few seconds.
    But as a landlord going to check on all of your units with load screen after load screen seems a bit much. I'm assuming that's how it had to be done for performance reasons so that's okay.

But it also makes me question how does snooping and spying and breaking in work then?
    In light of this new information I plan on making
    The biggest portion a shared space. And with my sim limit remover mod I'll be able to see and interact with most of my sims in the space 😌
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member

I don't remember ever being able to click on an apartment door in City Living and it switching to that household. That's different behavior from CL, right?

Either way, loading screens don't bother me. I completely understand why others might be bothered, but I expected loading screens on a lot that allows for 6 units of 8 sims each. I'm primarily interested in having extra space for more families in a neighborhood and the ability to build and designate my own multi-family dwellings. I hope the neighbors interact as much as, or more than, they do in City Living.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

They've definitely said that the landlord doesn't have to live on the lot, so if that's what the "home" unit is, it must be optional.

The repoman thing I think was the landlord taking furniture from the tenant. And then probably able to sell it, for money.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    So, loading screens, right?

Though I do understand the decision.

The Sims 2 for example did loading without loading screens when you sent your sim to visit the other apartment. You would just see the objects fade in room by room when your sim was allowed to enter. Though what it also did is have multiple units loaded depending on how many of them were visited. Your sim's home unit was always loaded, thus in vanilla, up to 9 units could be loaded at the same time there. Though the performance did go downhill. My luxury skyscraper building with each unit being two floors crashes my game when I get to the top floors as everything needs to be loaded.

So, I'm getting an impression that only the visited unit is visible. Though yes, will be looking forward to the livestream.

Ah, like City Living. I don't mind loading screens a lot as managing multiple sims in different locations can be a little tedious. I had vampires die by thirst due to this in The Sims 3.
  • Options
    For anyone who doesn't want loading screens and just wants to live together with friends or family,
    I think the shared space is an excellent work around. I have to wait and see how everything works but even before this information I was planning on making practically the whole building a shared space lol 😂 and giving them tiny bedrooms.
  • Options
    RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    Really not bothered by loading screens not this far into ts4, but I am also curious how free you can be with the free space.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    I'm curious about the sims wording a "small load time" like is it smaller than normal? Lol
    I can't wait to see the livestream I'm so curious how everything works. 😭 I wish it could be December already.
    Oh well, at least it's giving me more time to build and clean out old cc.
  • Options
    jennieeffinjennieeffin Posts: 184 Member
    For anyone who doesn't want loading screens and just wants to live together with friends or family,
    I think the shared space is an excellent work around. I have to wait and see how everything works but even before this information I was planning on making practically the whole building a shared space lol 😂 and giving them tiny bedrooms.

I have a few boarding houses in my current save and I'm going to do something very similar!
    IF the system is what I think it is, and you don't need to have, say, a full kitchen in order to create a rentable unit, then you can basically create any of the following: Boarding house, hostel, hotel, retirement home, trailer park, boarding school, etc etc
  • Options
    Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member
    edited November 2023
    Playing as a Property Owner

Considering none of the other packs allow you to select a specific Sim, I’d be surprised if For Rent allows one to pick specific tenants. You cannot select a specific employee, gardener, maid, butler, ranch hand, high school classmate, etc. Yet, there has always been an in-game work around for this that does not require a mod.

Cas.fulleditmode Cheat or Transfer Sims Between Households

I always use cas.fulleditmode to change any NPC that has a job role, University dorm roommates, babysitter, mail deliver person, Vet employees, Restaurant employees, etc. With High School Years this wasn't an issue for me because I have a lot of teens in my game. The one High School NPC teen that the game would generate is one that has the Mean trait because none of my existing teens had that trait. Easy fix, I deleted the NPC teen with the Mean trait and created three separate families giving their teens the Mean trait—problem solved. Now the game always picks one of those teens I created for high school. This cheat is also very useful for if the game does not pick one of your existing Sims and instead opts for an NPCs for job roles.

Another useful feature is Transfer Sims Between Households. All you have to do it switch the tenant out with a family you want as a tenant. This is what I’m planning on doing along with utilizing the cas.fulleditmode cheat.
    Post edited by Hearts4u on
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • Options
    ULIBABA66ULIBABA66 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Hearts4u wrote: »
    Considering none of the other packs allows you to pick the Sims, I’d be surprised if For Rent allows one to pick the tenants.
    You cannot pick an employee, gardener, maid, butler, ranch hand, high school classmate, etc. Yet, there has always been an in-game work around for this that does not require a mod.

I always use cas.fulleditmode to change any NPC that has a job role, University dorm roommates, babysitter, mail deliver person, Vet employees, Restaurant employees, etc. With High School Years this wasn't an issue for me because I have a lot of teens in my game. The one High School NPC teen that the game would generate is one that has the Mean trait because none of my existing teens had that trait. Easy fix, I deleted the NPC teen with the Mean trait and created three separate families giving their teens the Mean trait—problem solved. Now the game always picks one of those teens I created for high school. This cheat is also very useful for if the game does not pick one of your existing Sims and instead opts for an NPCs for job roles.

Another useful feature is Transfer Sims Between Households. All you have to do it switch the tenant out with a family you want as a tenant. This is what I’m planning on doing along with utilizing the cas.fulleditmode cheat.

Of course it does allow us to pick the tenants? They CONFIRMED that already in the blog post + the gameplay trailer description so not sure why is that not public information because they already confirmed that...why else would we need loading screens too.
  • Options
    Since we do NOT have to play as the landlord to get the most out of the EP and they confirmed that already, I am surprised why everyone keeps doubting that we cannot pick our own households as that reads so in the new trailer description and what's the point for the new lot type if it was THAT limited + had the loading screens lol...already confirmed information...
  • Options
    Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member
    edited November 2023
    ULIBABA66 wrote: »
    Considering none of the other packs allows you to pick the Sims, I’d be surprised if For Rent allows one to pick the tenants.
    You cannot pick an employee, gardener, maid, butler, ranch hand, high school classmate, etc. Yet, there has always been an in-game work around for this that does not require a mod.

Of course it does allow us to pick the tenants? They CONFIRMED that already in the blog post + the gameplay trailer description so not sure why is that not public information because they already confirmed that...why else would we need loading screens too.

Typically when the game allows one to pick an employee, a list of random NPCs appear. If one has a lot of Sims in their game, those Sims typically show up. That has always been the case in my game because I do have a lot of Sims.

My explanation is a work around when one is playing as a Property Owner.
    Post edited by Hearts4u on
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Typically when the game allows one to pick an employee, a list of random NPCs always are selected. If you have a lot of Sims in your game, those Sims typically show up. That has always been the case in my game.

My explanation is a work around if picking a tenant is similar to the option for picking an employee.

I thought you meant using Manage Households in the Manage Worlds mode as picking the tenants when we are not playing as landlord but ok...
  • Options
    SimDork23SimDork23 Posts: 524 Member
    edited November 2023
    Loading screens don’t bother me, personally. That is a LOT of sims & objects to load. I do understand where people are coming from, though.
    Since we do NOT have to play as the landlord to get the most out of the EP and they confirmed that already, I am surprised why everyone keeps doubting that we cannot pick our own households as that reads so in the new trailer description and what's the point for the new lot type if it was THAT limited + had the loading screens lol...already confirmed information...

While I think you’re right, I’m hoping that one of the gurus can clear this up now that’s gotten some traction within the community. The silence is making me a LITTLE nervous, lol.
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,908 Member
    edited November 2023
    SimDork23 wrote: »
    Loading screens don’t bother me, personally. That is a LOT of sims & objects to load. I do understand where people are coming from, though.

While I think you’re right, I’m hoping that one of the gurus can clear this up now that’s gotten some traction within the community. The silence is making me a LITTLE nervous, lol.

There are several things, including this, that the devs have already made quite clear and that have been stated and linked to repeatedly in these threads. The only reason these questions are getting traction within the community is that people keep asking the same questions over and over that have already been answered. I've never seen anything like it for an EP release before.

I mean, I STG, if one more person says something like, "I hope we don't have to play as landlords, I am so mad because I think that will happen," I am going to lose my mind completely.
  • Options
    greydonngreydonn Posts: 717 Member
    For the record, I know full well that we'll be able to play as tenants, not just landlords, that's never been my concern. My concern is over how much control we have over the other tenants. The menu they showed in the second trailer didn't fill me with confidence- thinking rationally, it will probably be fine, we'll probably be able to move in whoever we went (how, I'm not sure) but I'd prefer a certainty. That question hasn't been answered.

On a positive note, though, I'm incredibly excited for the new BB assets coming in this pack. I'm holding off on building the interiors of my builds until release.
    • Gen 25: Xanthe! >:)
    • She/Her.
  • Options
    SimDork23 wrote: »

How many times do they need to confirm that? It would be stupid if we couldn't play rotationally, as always, that is possible with base game, would make zero sense for them to allow us to place our own households into residential rental lots, the way they have put such a high promotional focus on this feature HAS to mean it is what we will get for sure so do we need to worry about it? Nope. Only thing they confirmed is the loading screens between units, but that does not disappoint or bother me personally, as this will STILL be a gamechanger for my game. <3