Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

For Rent Negative thread

Comments

• Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,675 Member
    bizuktag wrote: »
    JBc9Bmx.jpg

I know it looks like there are a lot of mailboxes included here, but if you look closely, you can see that the image is mostly a flat texture. If you look at the third row down, the second box and sixth box have different edges to all of the boxes around them, which suggests they may have a 3D component and actually open.

I would guess tenants all use a couple shared slots and collect mail that is unique to them, rather than having a unique mailbox assigned. I would be shocked if any more than a few of these mailboxes have an animation, less even than the HS lockers.

I also think the number of 'interactable' mailboxes is about performance and doesn't reflect the limit of sims/households.

Good spotting that! I don't understand why we get such a big mailbox system, now that we know the max might be 6 units? Even if 6 is not the limit, I can't really see myself building and playing anything with more than 6 units. I have so many worlds and lots and adding 36 to each lot would be a true nightmare for my rotational play, LOL.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    JBc9Bmx.jpg

I know it looks like there are a lot of mailboxes included here, but if you look closely, you can see that the image is mostly a flat texture. If you look at the third row down, the second box and sixth box have different edges to all of the boxes around them, which suggests they may have a 3D component and actually open.

I would guess tenants all use a couple shared slots and collect mail that is unique to them, rather than having a unique mailbox assigned. I would be shocked if any more than a few of these mailboxes have an animation, less even than the HS lockers.

I also think the number of 'interactable' mailboxes is about performance and doesn't reflect the limit of sims/households.

Good spotting that! I don't understand why we get such a big mailbox system, now that we know the max might be 6 units? Even if 6 is not the limit, I can't really see myself building and playing anything with more than 6 units. I have so many worlds and lots and adding 36 to each lot would be a true nightmare for my rotational play, LOL.

I was also wondering why it has to be so big for 6 apartments. I hope we get a smaller wall mounted as well, in the trailer we already saw a smaller free standing one.
  • Options
    BlueR0se wrote: »
    JAL wrote: »
    6 units per lot, with the maximum of 8 sims in each unit - without cheats.

Are we certain on the latter (the maximum of 8 sims in each unit?). That would mean 48 sims on one rent lot.

I see 48 as legit, but keep in mind that only the 8 sims of the active unit will be out and about, while the game will probably send random sims from those other units out into the common area, but within the *lot* limit, not sure if that is 12 or 18, might depend on computer specs. So... if your active unit of 8 sims throws a party where they invited 10 sims living elsewhere, there won't be room for anyone from those other units to show up in the common area, as the lot is full. In other words, you will never see all those 48 sims at the same time (unless there is a cheat, of course - and your computer can handle it).
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    JBc9Bmx.jpg

Maybe it's for those that will build with cheats. I remember in TS2 someone built an apartment building that was composed of tiny one room, 6 squares apartments, but there were many of them. It looked like a bee hive. :lol:
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Honestly y’all overthinking the mailbox with 36 boxes. Its a mailbox but also for design it has that many
  • Options
    dogzdinnerdogzdinner Posts: 422 Member
    Im just hoping its not buggy, but TBH I feel like it probably will be!
    Also I doubt there will be much interaction between sims form different households unless you plan an event....unless you give them all barely furnished apartments so they are forced to use a common area!!LOL
  • Options
    Coconut27Coconut27 Posts: 860 Member
    SimGuruNova tweeted "i'm so excited to see your reactions to everything in For Rent!! we've really only scratched the surface so far", so I hope that means there is more gameplay involved, and not just more showcasing for how the apartment lots function. I've just got back into playing TS4, and i just really hope this pack is worth the hype. This new lot mechanic is much needed, but does not justify 40USD on its own. Really hope we get to see at least one or two more exciting things for gameplay!
  • Options
    dogzdinner wrote: »
    Im just hoping its not buggy, but TBH I feel like it probably will be!
    Also I doubt there will be much interaction between sims form different households unless you plan an event....unless you give them all barely furnished apartments so they are forced to use a common area!!LOL

I don't expect residents of the other units to tend to their needs at all, such as walking out to the common area to eat or use a toilet. I think the game will simply drag them out from they greyed out units randomly, to make the common unit a bit more lively and unpredictable. Pretty much like passive neighbors will check their mailbox in San Myshuno flats. In the new common units they can probably do more than getting rid of trash and checking mail, depending on what items you add there. The neighbour's kids might play with marbles but more to create a lively feel, than because they are low on fun. Regarding needs, it will most likely be like today's households - if you move a sim into a house with no toilet, you won't see that sim running about on common ground desperately looking for a toilet. The needs of sims not seen will most likely be ignored by the game, and when you enter that lot (or that unit), that sim's needs will be randomized following a preset standard, like today (entering the household at 3 AM means no household member will be asleep, but fully rested and starving enough to grill food in the garden... I never understood why Maxis think it's natural to grill food at 3 AM instead of being asleep, but that's a different story). Hopefully the game won't take up more resources re neighbours, than it already does. It allows simmers without a tip top computer to have an active 8 sim household without much more lagging.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I'm honestly really looking forward to this pack. Fully functional apartments that we can build ourselves have been on my Wishlist for years.
    However, I am little concerned about bugs. Having that many sims on a lot sounds like it might be laggy.
    I also think they could have added some more things to this pack, like spiral stairs. I am a bit concerned the world may be small as well based on some of the pictures I've seen, but that's just a suspicion.
  • Options
    Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,429 Member
    I just hope the other sims (sims in the other apartment on a lot) don't get roles forced onto them like npc in dorms and high school. I don't want them to have random traits assigned without my control.
  • Options
    so after the trailer it looks cool but that didn’t give me much for…gameplay haha. Though the new system looks like it could be a set up for hotels? i just hope it doesn’t deter them from making a separate hotels pack, but instead gives them a foundation to reuse.
  • Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,877 Member
    Still nothing about the animal sanctuary, I'm worried it's a rabbit hole.
  • Options
    Okay Nova said it’d not quite like hotels so that gives hope for a potential hotel pack lol phew
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited November 2023
    I hope they show exactly how rooms are formed to make an apartment, because I am not sure if they are making them by what build mode allows them to do, or if the are actively combining rooms through some method. They are telling people to go ahead and build ahead of time, but if there are some conditions that don't form an apartment the way we want, people are going to be frustrated.
    11-16-23_12-52-59_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

The game naturally divides up rooms into clusters.
    11-16-23_12-29-10_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

So do I assign the entrance as an apartment and the rest of the space comes with it because there are no other exits?
    11-16-23_12-51-23_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

One way I can see to do it is break all the interior rooms by deleting one wall segment and then define the newly formed perimeter as the apartment. You could then fix the broken rooms back into individual living spaces. Unless, the games says, "NOPE! That's a new apartment."
    And it goes right back to what is shown in the second image.
    11-16-23_12-29-41_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

It would be great if you could just hold shift while you clicked on all the rooms in the apartment and it creates the perimeter automatically.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member
    edited November 2023
    CK213 wrote: »
    I hope they show exactly how rooms are formed to make an apartment, because I am not sure if they are making them by what build mode allows them to do, or if the are actively combining rooms through some method. They are telling people to go ahead and build ahead of time, but if there are some conditions that don't form an apartment the way we want, people are going to be frustrated.

So do I assign the entrance as an apartment and the rest of the space comes with it because there are no other exits?
    One way I can see to do it is break all the interior rooms by deleting one wall segment and then define the newly formed perimeter as the apartment. You could then fix the broken rooms back into individual living spaces. Unless, the games says, "NOPE! That's a new apartment."
    It would be great if you could just hold shift while you clicked on all the rooms in the apartment and it creates the perimeter automatically.

To me it looked like you select several rooms and designate them as an apartment unit.
  • Options
    EneroDesyembreEneroDesyembre Posts: 64 Member
    It seems to me the only unique gameplay features in for rent are just new ways to make simoleons as well a room categorization tool :|
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,193 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Still nothing about the animal sanctuary, I'm worried it's a rabbit hole.

It's probably sadly is.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited November 2023
    It seems to me the only unique gameplay features in for rent are just new ways to make simoleons as well a room categorization tool :|

I think their terminology is confusing me.
    There is a menu choice that says "Shared", but I was thinking as in a shared space by the entire building. It probably means shared by that particular apartment and is a way to add additional rooms to the one you have active in the menu.

So in the example above I guess I could start with the room that I considered the entrance as the apartment and then click on the next connected room and mark it as "shared" and keep going onto the next cluster until all the rooms are defined.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    This left me lightly underwhelmed, but also makes me think that there is more to the pack we haven't seen, which is a good sign, because that would mean there is more gameplay offered. This packed already seems WAY more filled with new content that the Horse Ranch pack.
  • Options
    SimDork23SimDork23 Posts: 524 Member
    edited November 2023
    I’m not really liking the build/buy so far, tbh.
    Post edited by SimDork23 on
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I extremely dislike apartment bugs in real life & don't want them in my game. :s I don't like the fear of being evicted in the game. :'( Hopefully there's a turn off for both of that. :o
  • Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 552 Member
    I think their terminology is confusing me.
    There is a menu choice that says "Shared", but I was thinking as in a shared space by the entire building. It probably means shared by that particular apartment and is a way to add additional rooms to the one you have active in the menu.

So in the example above I guess I could start with the room that I considered the entrance as the apartment and then click on the next connected room and mark it as "shared" and keep going onto the next cluster until all the rooms are defined.

I think your original understanding of "Shared" is correct.

Currently in the game, you can select any room/area you've built (enclosed by walls, fences, spandrels, etc) and there are options to change the wall height, platform height, move or copy. It looks like this pack will add another option when you click one of those rooms - to assign that room to either an existing unit, or to a newly-created unit. So rather than drawing a perimeter around one unit, it appears you just click each room and assign it to the unit you want. For a five-room apartment, you click each of the five rooms you built and assign them, no removing or re-drawing of walls.

Shared spaces are any rooms/areas you build that you decide all tenants will be able to access, and do not belong to any of the units.

At least, that's my understanding of how all of this will work based on the gameplay trailer + older trailers/blogs.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    The latest gameplay trailer felt a bit light on content.
  • Options
    HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    "Property Owner" and "Community Builder" in the same sentence makes me laugh.

Still ain't nothing really selling me other than the multi-household buildings itself to make me interested in the pack. Still the last pack on my list to purchase.
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    11-16-23_12-52-59_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

11-16-23_12-29-10_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

11-16-23_12-51-23_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

11-16-23_12-29-41_PM.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

That is why I am waiting for the pack as they said you can and it will be easy to incorporate the features once the EP is released.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen