The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

JOB OPENING: Head Of Monetization & Marketplace

p86iibk71e9z.jpg

Based on the job description, it seems that The Sims 5/Rene will be free-to-play... I don't like this.
Simmer since 2012, The Sims 2, 3 & 4. Setup: i5 10400f, GTX 1650 SUPER, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD & Steam Deck

Comments

• Options
    RoaringHeightsRoaringHeights Posts: 34 Member
    I'm not completely against the next game being F2P considering The Sims 4 already is but my thing is, how's the DLC structure gonna work? They're not gonna make any money in the first few months of release up until we get the first pack. Unless, they turn it into an even more aggressive Sims 3 store model. Who knows, but hopefully it's just a monthly subscription.
    Simmer since 2012, The Sims 2, 3 & 4. Setup: i5 10400f, GTX 1650 SUPER, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD & Steam Deck
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,308 Member
    From Sims Community:

The first two bullet points are the most important here, which talk about in-game content purchases and Sims 5 Free to Play game system:

#Own Project Rene’s in-game marketplace of content and UGC (free and paid), and manage a data-informed player-centric player purchase journey. Maximizing value to players, optimizing player spend patterns, and minimizing player churn.

This part signifies that The Sims 5 will have its own in-game store. For both Official Content and User Generated Content. According to this statement, there will be both free and paid content.
    We don’t know for certain yet (and don’t take our word for it), but this could mean that Custom Content, CC and general UGC could be downloaded straight from the game!

#Own pricing of all content in this free-to-enter game, ensuring we have an optimal pricing and content architecture. Provide guidance to content teams on in-game content needs to meet player demand.
    It seems that EA is already firm on The Sims 5 Free to Play method for the game. The first sentence is formed like the publisher already made a decision that it would be free from launch.

We’re not sure yet if there are any differences between Free to Play and Free to Enter terms. Either way, a new way of releasing Sims content seems almost definite for The Sims 5.

The Sims 5 Free to Play wouldn’t be the first time EA practiced a new monetization method. Video game Apex Legends saw massive success at launch, and it also released for free on day one. Still, it’s very early to tell how this could translate into The Sims marketplace.

The Sims Franchise had already made a big move last year when they made The Sims 4 Base Game entirely free. Considering that the move saw massive rise in active player base it’s a no-brainer that a similar method is being used for the next generation Sims game.

The community is sceptical that we could be slowly moving on from the Packs release system that’s been present in The Sims Franchise since the beginning. And move on to a more microtransaction, subscription-driven service. Emphasis on could, considering that the Base Game isn’t even halfway done yet.

This definitely wouldn’t be the first time that EA considered a Subscription Service for a Sims game. The Sims 4 planned to have a “Premium Membership” before the concept was scrapped shortly before the game’s launch.

The Sims 4’s Membership Concept sounds familiar with what EA is planning to do for The Sims 5 Free to Play in terms of in-game content releases. Still, it’s best that you:

Keep your expectations set!

Remember, The Sims 5 is still years away from the full worldwide release. The development team is still deep into creating the game’s prototypes, and we still have to go through many Beta Tests, Feedback Sessions and more until the game is ready.

https://simscommunity.info/2023/06/28/the-sims-5-free-to-play/
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,306 Member
    This does not sound good at all.
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,306 Member
    I'm not completely against the next game being F2P considering The Sims 4 already is but my thing is, how's the DLC structure gonna work? They're not gonna make any money in the first few months of release up until we get the first pack. Unless, they turn it into an even more aggressive Sims 3 store model. Who knows, but hopefully it's just a monthly subscription.

Maybe it will be both? They could make big packs, but stuff like stuff packs, kits, and maybe game content will be rolled into the marketplace?
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    This looks pretty bad.
    I imagine this marketplace is going to be very aggressive with in-game sales. With the Sims 4, they already know that customers will buy anything they put in front of them. I wouldn't be surprised if they have sales all the time for different clothes, furniture, hairs and cosmetic items for $2 or more.
    There will most certainly be an in-game currency. Maybe simoleons, but you have to earn them by doing quests.

People keep comparing this to Animal Crossing, but it's going to be very different. This sounds very similar to an MMO, despite their attempts to say it's not. Animal Crossing never had an in-game store with real currency.

I really don't understand how anyone can be optimistic about the Sims 5. The signs are all there for what type of game it is going to be, and it doesn't look good.
  • Options
    SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,333 Member
    Well, I'm glad it's going to be free to play at the start. That mean I can play it and decide if I even want to invest in the Sims 5. I already said my interest in Sims 5 will depend on the condition they leave Sims 4.
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,653 Member
    I wish they had a job with people can brainstorm bounce ideas off each other to come with ideas and theme for the packs because Sims 4 been missing the mark especially with items and gameplay in the packs.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    This looks pretty bad.
    I imagine this marketplace is going to be very aggressive with in-game sales. With the Sims 4, they already know that customers will buy anything they put in front of them. I wouldn't be surprised if they have sales all the time for different clothes, furniture, hairs and cosmetic items for $2 or more.
    There will most certainly be an in-game currency. Maybe simoleons, but you have to earn them by doing quests.

People keep comparing this to Animal Crossing, but it's going to be very different. This sounds very similar to an MMO, despite their attempts to say it's not. Animal Crossing never had an in-game store with real currency.

I really don't understand how anyone can be optimistic about the Sims 5. The signs are all there for what type of game it is going to be, and it doesn't look good.

Thats why I never understood the people screaming for a ts5 thinking it's going to be the ts2 ts3 ts4 combined with 90% of the DLC as basegame because they hate ts4 or think expansion packs should be gamepacks.
    Ts5 itself could be a very good game with the new features and technology sure. But it's a "new" game. And all of the new games fall into the new way of gaming. Subscriptions, limited items,market places, in game currencies and micro transactions, online multiplayer, gotcha style games and more. No game can really escape this because it's what makes money and what company wants to miss opportunities for more money?

Just based off of my guessing I honestly believe ts5 will be a good fun game! May have revolutionary features, beautiful Sims, great animations and interactions.
    But money wise I don't think it's going to be as cheap as ts4. And I think the company owner is going to take any opportunity he can to model this after games with money grabbing features we all hate. I think DLC is the least of our concerns.
    I would love to be proven wrong but I truly believe this.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,756 Member
    edited June 2023
    Yeah, we don't know the details but that doesn't sound good.

I'm not so sure that they would do a subscription model, but we will probably see a store with microtransactions. Maybe we will see "seasons" that other games have and that will be more substantial content like packs like we are used to?

I myself rarely buy microtransactions in games.
  • Options
    SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    Hmm... FTP base game with free and paid additional content tailored to meet the needs of customer demands? I'm not sure that I even know what that means. This will be interesting to follow.
  • Options
    simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,477 Member
    edited June 2023
    Can anyone give an example of a game with an active in-game DLC online store that doesn't require you to have a constant internet connection?
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,094 Member
    As long as a subscription service is not involved I can deal with this if they force a monthly fee to play I'm out. From there it will all depend on pricing are they going to start charging $2 an outfit or will it be like it is now with $5 kits $10 stuff packs (RIP) $40 expansions I'd be fine as nothing would be different other than a free base game which would give me $60 extra to buy other stuff.

Hopefully it's priced better than the Sims 3 store.

Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,571 Member
    Will need more info since right now there is not much but only time will say as more info on project rene the sims5 is realise
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    shinshinshinshin Posts: 6 New Member
    I don't like the sound of this but we'll see when the game comes out
  • Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 790 Member
    This does not sound good at all.

I agree with you 100% Looks like I'll be switching over to Life By You and maybe Paralives if Sims 5 is going to be a subscription based game.

I have a bad feeling that this is going to kill the Sims franchise altogether....
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Options
    AncientMuseAncientMuse Posts: 1,072 Member
    Permanently online-based gaming, possible monthly subscriptions (bronze/silver/gold memberships?), in-game micro transactions, exclusive membership purchases and perks?

The future does not look good for casual gamers who aren't willing to sell their first-born just to play a game. I see small Indie game creators becoming my new best friends very very soon....

"Hello Paralives and LBY, I'm your newest customer!"

Have no fear folks, many small-sized independent video game developers will step in to fill the gap left behind by these large corporations. They do not have a monopoly over the gaming industry. Standalone games still have a long life ahead of them yet, thanks to all the small innovators and entrepreneurs stepping up their game (pun intended). 'Necessity is the mother of invention', as they say.
    My Gallery ID: AncientMuse2
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." ~ Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    No doubt that once Sims 5 Rene is released, EA is going full speed ahead on this game. Choo choo!

No way are they letting Sims 4 cannibalize sales by keeping it alive with new DLC once this drops. I can totally see Sims 5 Rene replacing Sims 4, Sims Mobile, AND Sims Freeplay. They might just brand Sims 5 as "The Sims," dropping the number!

Bad news for those who don't want a hard reset of the franchise.

Many scenarios can play out.

Subscription? :#
    Normal DLC Packs? :D
    Paying money for individual store items? :#
    Easy access to mods and CC? :D
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • Options

Job listing has been pulled for unknown reasons.
  • Options
    RoaringHeightsRoaringHeights Posts: 34 Member
    I hope to GOD the backlash on twitter (and the forums) makes them reconsider this whole thing.
  • Options
    I don't think free-to-play is inherently bad. It's how they monetize that's going to make the difference.

Why they pulled it? No idea, but it's definitely not because they already extended an offer to someone within 2 days.

1) They found someone internally for the role
    2) Major gaming publications like Kotaku have written articles about the free-to-play and even reached out to EA for comment, as per their article. EA letting things cool for a moment
    3) They are delaying the job search
  • Options
    SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    Can anyone give an example of a game with an active in-game DLC online store that doesn't require you to have a constant internet connection?

Bethesda's stupid online store for Skyrim doesn't require it. Or at least it didn't, and I guess it still doesn't. However, what they've done is almost worse. They control access to the store content by altering the executable every time they update the items available in the store.

But I agree with your point. Skyrim is completely single player. For TS5, which is going to be multiplayer, integrated across multiple platforms, and where the DLC will basically be the game, I think always online is pretty much a given at this point.
  • Options
    bizuktagbizuktag Posts: 555 Member
    TS2 and TS3 both had online stores, so some kind of online marketplace for TS5 doesn't feel like a huge surprise.

I'm also not entirely surprised to see that EA probably wants a cut of the money Patreon creators make, and after their partnership with CurseForge to provide "official" custom content, offering an official paid platform for CC seems like a route they might want to go down.

What I really hope is that certain creators aren't prioritized/promoted over others. EA already plays favorites with their GameChanger program, and I'm not looking forward to them doing that with CC too. (Maybe they already do on CurseForge; I don't know, I've never downloaded anything from it.)
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I have never played a F2P - Micro transaction store game and I never will.
    I am heading over to Paradox I guess.

Also if it is going to be compatible with mobile means it will be simpler than Sims 4 graphically and animation-wise. They say as much on stage, they are working to see "how they can get away with the bare minimum" of animations and super-cartoony graphics.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    IGN reports on the free-to-play business model:
    https://www.ign.com/articles/the-sims-5-will-seemingly-adopt-a-fortnite-monetisation-model

Like Kotaku, IGN states they have reached out to EA for comment, so we are still waiting on that.

Interesting that this is concurrent with the job listing being pulled.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,552 Member
    edited June 2023
    If the base game is free-to-play and the rest of the content is Expansion Packs, Game Packs, and Kits as we know them now, I don't have a problem with it. It's just EA establishing a large customer base as a foundation.

However, if all content are only micro-transactions like The Sims 3 store, I am going to have to sit on the sidelines for a year or two so I can see if we are being taken advantage of. I mean really analyze the content for value compared to The Sims 4.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds