Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why are the majority of the NPCs names of Japanese or Indian origin?

I know the names are generated but it's a little annoying to see sims that have these names so often.

Is this something that they plan in improving soon?

Comments

• Options
    DanmanNefariusDanmanNefarius Posts: 947 Member
    I know the names are generated but it's a little annoying to see sims that have these names so often.

this has been in there ever since City Life.

and it has been there ever since so i highly doubt they will improve on this ;) they hardly ever do and rather focus on more DLC to sell
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,883 Member
    There's a bug report on Answers Headquarters from 2020. Maybe add a me too.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-Townies-in-worlds-spawn-with-Asian-names/td-p/9794299#M166415
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,126 Member
    I noticed that myself, and I can't figure it out either
  • Options
    wylmite1986wylmite1986 Posts: 1,771 Member
    Oh I thought it was just my game! Ever since all the normal townies died and new ones have come on I like don’t see normal names anymore! Sort of annoying.
    sims_zpswwzalnus.jpg
  • Options
    AaleynAaleyn Posts: 301 Member
    I like it the way it is,
    I don't find it annoying at all. :)
    "Where words fail, music speaks" ~ Hans Christian Andersen ♥*♥*♥ My Gallery ID: Aaleyn
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited July 2022
    It's the game generating sims from City Living, the list of names the game picks from for those sims also doesn't have a lot of names in them so that's why they are named so similar.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    I just wish they would match the Sim to the alleged ethnicity.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,964 Member
    edited July 2022
    well that but its not just about regional names randomized townies all get their names from same very narrow name pool so you'll keep having certain names pop up time after time

like if you don't have randomized sim with surname Chauhan in your households did you even play

then again I don't really care what they are named to me they are to be deleted either way I don't want randomized townies in my game regardless of randomized townie
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member
    edited July 2022
    I don't mind the names, it only bothers me that they are not matching up to sims of that orientation. Sometimes it feels like it is cultural appropriation... But who minds, I suppose, I will just change the names if they matter enough to my save.

Edit: This is another thing with auto-generated sims, NONE of my black sims wear their natural hair, while white sims are wearing dreads and afros. Yes, it happens in reality, but it isn't absolutely everyone like it is in the sims.
  • Options
    vancanuckfan86vancanuckfan86 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Ever since City Living came out that has been every game I've started in the Sims. Black hair and brown eyes for almost every game generated Sim. I'd love this to be addressed so some diversity can be added to my game!
  • Options
    starrylimastarrylima Posts: 16 Member
    I also believe the game has a tendency to assign randomised sims with newer clothing items, add on content etc. after snowy escape release half of the random townies that generate have japanese names now, this also happens with clothing (including CC) it's pretty annoying tbh
  • Options
    CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    I don't get many Japanese names which is frustrating when you want some. I always wondered if the name pool came from professional ball players' names.
  • Options
    CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    Ever since City Living came out that has been every game I've started in the Sims. Black hair and brown eyes for almost every game generated Sim. I'd love this to be addressed so some diversity can be added to my game!

I have this going on in my game too, I get mostly this combo: dark brown hair, light brown eyes. I'd really prefer the randomizer to stop choosing that same combo so often and, well, randomize little better.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member

Because it is a bug created by City Living that the devs never bothered fixing. People have complained for 4 years.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    edited July 2022
    This is me too! It's actually so annoying.. I wish there was a way to fix this. It sometimes makes absolutely no sense. I'd rather they just had culture neutral names so that they can match with any culture since the sims generated are completely random. The way they are now makes them so noticeable if a sim looks like they do not match the cultural name at all.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    I don't mind the names, it only bothers me that they are not matching up to sims of that orientation. Sometimes it feels like it is cultural appropriation... But who minds, I suppose, I will just change the names if they matter enough to my save.

Edit: This is another thing with auto-generated sims, NONE of my black sims wear their natural hair, while white sims are wearing dreads and afros. Yes, it happens in reality, but it isn't absolutely everyone like it is in the sims.

I never see any black sims in my game with natural black hair. Usually they either have the reddest red or orange hair or white blonde that's completely straight.. It literally makes no sense when even the eyebrows are those colors lmao. I always find myself editing them if I see them out in the world.
  • Options
    duhboy2u2duhboy2u2 Posts: 3,290 Member
    I don't really care if names match any of the ethnic representations so much, but it would be nice if there was more naming conventions represented. I currently have 27 Abdul's in my neighborhood. That's not a euphemism, their actual names are Abdul <enter surname here>. I'd like the occasional Frank or Betty... I considered renaming some of the Abdul's but it felt wrong. Identity crisis much? Going your whole life as Abdul then having your name changed to something random just seemed wrong so ...I've gone in and made them Abdul One through Abdul Twenty-seven.
    Loving yourself is the most simple and complicated thing you can do for you.
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    Aaleyn wrote: »
    I like it the way it is,

You REALLY don't see an issue with every townie spawning with an asian name, dark skin, pear bodies, blonde hair and every accessory possible?
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I just wish they didn't have to spawn SO DARN MANY!!! Really, what are they all for? They just go on and on and on and on...

And, please, for the love of sanity, disable the accessories from being spawned on sims. I'm sure if we really want to add glasses etc we can do that ourselves.
  • Options
    AaleynAaleyn Posts: 301 Member
    Aaleyn wrote: »
    I like it the way it is,

You REALLY don't see an issue with every townie spawning with an asian name, dark skin, pear bodies, blonde hair and every accessory possible?

The original, first post in this thread was about names, there were no mentions in it about those other things you now said (and what others have been mentioning now in this thread). My comment was for the first post, about the names.

"Where words fail, music speaks" ~ Hans Christian Andersen ♥*♥*♥ My Gallery ID: Aaleyn
  • Options
    bruceleroy98bruceleroy98 Posts: 333 Member
    edited July 2022
    duhboy2u2 wrote: »
    I don't really care if names match any of the ethnic representations so much, but it would be nice if there was more naming conventions represented. I currently have 27 Abdul's in my neighborhood. That's not a euphemism, their actual names are Abdul <enter surname here>. I'd like the occasional Frank or Betty... I considered renaming some of the Abdul's but it felt wrong. Identity crisis much? Going your whole life as Abdul then having your name changed to something random just seemed wrong so ...I've gone in and made them Abdul One through Abdul Twenty-seven.

Agreed. I just think the frequency of the international names for every npc you come across doesn't fit into everyone's story. It should be improved. With all of this technology in the world today, I think the naming algorithm can be tightened up so I don't see the last name OKO every 10 sims lol. Nothing against any culture of course...I just think its kind of lazy game design or a neglected base game feature.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I use MCCC with the setting to block random generation and instead pick sims from my downloaded unplaced households.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    Dannakyri1Dannakyri1 Posts: 207 Member
    the game doesn't create random sims by ethnicity so it's not going to be able to name people based on a perceived ethnicity. It's just a 100% random roll of the dice looking at the whole pool of available options.

@sam123 what exactly is an "ethnically neutral name?" I assume you mean white people names. not sure white washing all the names is the same thing as being "neutral"
  • Options
    Dannakyri1 wrote: »
    the game doesn't create random sims by ethnicity so it's not going to be able to name people based on a perceived ethnicity. It's just a 100% random roll of the dice looking at the whole pool of available options.

@sam123 what exactly is an "ethnically neutral name?" I assume you mean white people names. not sure white washing all the names is the same thing as being "neutral"

Not really. I mean something more basic and not so specific to a particular culture.
  • Options
    Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    I don't know that I want culturally neutral names. Wouldn't it be nice to see names based on the Sims' ethnic culture? It would make it come more alive imo.