Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you use the Lifestyles ?

Comments

• Options
    Babci219Babci219 Posts: 20 Member
    No
    Nope, never, ever pay attention to lifestyles. Never really pay attention to a lot of the extra stuff they add that they think is making the game more interesting.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    No
    I like the idea but since my gameplay is purposely repetitive and a lot of story telling, sims end up with the same lifestyle over and over so I turned it off. 😆
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,578 Member
    Yes
    I cheat the Health Nut lifestyle onto some of my fitness sims so they have those health nut recipes to cook. Most of the lifestyles are skippable. The Energetic one is pretty brutal because by the time you come in the house, cook something, and eat it, your sim is depressed from lack of activity.
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    Yes
    Same as some, I don't actively seek them put my Sims just get them. Between all the sims I play I have been able to see different ones. I rather like it when a Sim gets one as it adds to their story.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    WhubbleWhubble Posts: 72 Member
    Other choice...
    I sort of use them as a guide when I get bored or run out of ideas about what to do with a specific sim. This doesn't happen very often, however.
    The Sims is not a game; it's a lifestyle choice.
    My Plumbbob is green today :D
  • Options
    dogzdinnerdogzdinner Posts: 422 Member
    Other choice...
    eh, not really but also yes?
    They are just something that happens organically in the background. It never really seems to affect the gameplay much wether they gain or lose one TBH.
  • Options
    QueenSaraphineQueenSaraphine Posts: 308 Member
    Yes
    Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

They are annoying. I hate hidden lifestyles, why are they hidden? It's super easy to get happily single. Every sim will develop it if they don't date in their teenagerhood. Unrealistic. Outside lifestyle is bugged. My sim is literally outside and they are tense from being inside. And so much more.

I really hate that my sim literally always get the single/happy together with outdorsy. As you said the outdorsy one is bugged and my sim is tense with a bored moodlet ”trapped inside” excuse you she is standing in her garden.

I don’t like to play with romance in this game, I want my sim to be able to be single without getting that lifestyle, I keep buying potions to rid her of these lifestyles.

SignatureSparkly.gif
  • Options
    MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    edited May 2022
    No
    No, just like with some of the features added to the game in recent years, it's just doesn't add anything of interest to the gameplay.
    Post edited by MsKatieRose on
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Yes
    See, I see lifestyles as the opposite of traits. They happen organically, I never try to "preserve" them or aim for a specific one. Most of my Sims goes from "Single and loving it" to "Soulmate" eventually, and all get "frequent traveller" since they get that just by loading to a different lot often.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    rhaliusrhalius Posts: 480 Member
    No
    Turned them off, it's just another feature poorly implemented and then abandoned.

Should just have it as a CAS option to select for sims, not happening based on their actions. Or merge it with traits, which don't really do anything. Heck, the 5 sliders of sims 1where enough to give sims more personality in the very first game than what they have now.
  • Options
    Chaotic_MoiraChaotic_Moira Posts: 484 Member
    No
    I am somewhere between No and Other. I have them turned on, and sometimes a sim gets one, but I often remove it because it doesn't suite the sim. I kept getting Phone Obsessed or whatever it is called and that was annoying because the only time my sim was on the phone was when EA gave them that to do as an idle animation - wth! Also I think the negative aspects are too strong, cause as usual EA overdoes it. So if they get tense all the time I remove it. I need to see if there are any mods to adjust them.
    Features I'd like brought back from the dead.
    | Picture in Picture mode | Custom Paintings | Preset scenarios for resident sims | Placing my own lots |
    | Saving my own Buy Mode collections! | Saving an outfit in CAS | CaSt. Smaller is ok | Open World |
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,529 Member
    Yes
    rhalius wrote: »
    Turned them off, it's just another feature poorly implemented and then abandoned.

Should just have it as a CAS option to select for sims, not happening based on their actions. Or merge it with traits, which don't really do anything. Heck, the 5 sliders of sims 1where enough to give sims more personality in the very first game than what they have now.

The lifestyles are not traits, they are habits and like all habits can be changed if they affect your sim negatively. If you don't like a lifestyle they gained then it's a sign that you have been playing that sim a certain way for too long so you need to alter your playstyle to change their habits. They are a way for the game to alert you as a player to the kind of lifestyle you guided your sim through. I have a sim who gained the junk food fiend lifestyle because she had a large batch of cookies in her fridge and chose to eat a cookie instead of proper meal for a while. She is not a junk food fiend, she is a good cook, skill level 10, so I will need to watch out what she cooks and eats in the future if I don't want her to have that lifestyle anymore. In my view, lifestyles are more like a challenge, either to gain or to lose one.
  • Options
    pieka33pieka33 Posts: 4 New Member
    No
    No. I turned them off, mainly because of the workaholic lifestyle
  • Options
    Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    edited May 2022
    Yes
    Yes I do, some of them make sense for my Sims, others don't make sense. One of my Sims has an Energetic lifestyle but she keeps saying she has trait conflicts with it, even though she absolutely isn't a lazy Sim nor did she dislike Fitness. I also had a mermaid Sim who got Energetic lifestyle too (because she was a mermaid who loves swimming....what mermaid doesn't love to swim?), but I did put dislike Fitness so that conflicted a bunch that I had to get rid of her dislike for Fitness. And of course, at least four Sims have the Workaholic lifestyle even though to me, it makes sense for only two, only because they...worked for their career? I do wish Workaholic would be triggered just by using the Work Hard interaction, not because they got promoted on their career. It was also annoying that when I made Energetic Sims exercise, then they get the sore muscles moodlet that prevent them from exercising, only to be hit by a bored inactive moodlet.

People Person is also way too easy to get. Family members shouldn't count towards it. Single and Loving it, most of my Sims have it because most aren't seeking relationships.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • Options
    Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,940 Member
    edited May 2022
    Other choice...
    I lock one or two in for good (and they have to fit the Sim!), then disable any chance of getting anymore. I found it silly my Sims would always get close-knit because they simply made a friend and were actively trying to work towards meeting new people... But uh-oh, your baby being born meant your lifestyle balance was out of control. TENSE. All day, every day.

Haven't had my Sim date someone within their first week? Now you're supposidly afraid of commitment. It got to be too much so I only give them out for Sims it fits.

Making a Sim whos meant to be a shut-in, gluton? Sedentary and Junk Food Fiend it is. Making a Sim in a long life span who's meant to be taking it slow? You already know I'm not letting them suddenly gain the close-knit or single lifestyles just because I'm not rushing them into things.

Bobs not getting workaholic just because he's working a dead-end, minimum wage job to try and pay his bills. Bob isn't a phone junkie just because he's called his grandson a few times.

(Why aren't some of these like Sedentary combined with traits like lazy anyway?)
    L9q8VGi.png
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 7,014 Member
    I was initially interested in them, but after a period of trying them out, I was annoyed by how they worked, so I turned them off.

I have one sim that got technophobe and I don’t like the way it works either. My farmer get’s tense around the tv and things and won’t even work at his woodworking table ( which shouldn’t be technology ….. he should like working on that ).

I didn’t know you could turn them off, I will have to do that. Technophobe was too annoying.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Yes
    You can go to Lifestyle couching for 200 simoleons to remove a lifestyle you don't want. It's right there in the phone menu.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,211 Member
    No
    The idea sounded great on paper, but in the actual game, lifestyles got on my nerves rather quickly. As much as I've always tried to create different sims with a wide variety of hobbies, my play style remained more or less the same, and so most sims ended up with the same lifestyles. I switched them off months ago and never looked back.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,192 Member
    Other choice...
    I can take it or leave it, it really doesn't matter in my play.
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    Other choice...
    Sometimes, it's just annoying how easy it is for some lifestyles to unlock than others.

Like my sim will get the People Person Lifestyle, even though the only people they know are their family. Which is annoying, because I like to play with big families. xO
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,694 Member
    Yes
    What I do is I use cheats to apply the lifestyles I find most appropriate for each of my sims, and then after I let the game do its thing and let the lifestyles come and go as they normally would.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,942 Member
    Other choice...
    They appear in my game but I don't always appreciate the ones my Sims earn. They have my Patriarch down as a Workaholic just because he goes to work when he's scheduled and then does his daily task when home. Sheesh, how else is he to get ahead, you know? I laugh when his YA kids have the Single & Loving it lifestyle, although I'm very happy one of them has lost said status. That's good, she's engaged to be married! My Rock Star is a People Sim, so to speak, which is fitting. I certainly don't pursue a lifestyle I don't like, that much is certain. I do wish the one where the Sim is close to their family was set up differently. Apparently, they are only allowed a couple of Sims they're close to, but what if they have a large family?

I think the entire thing could have been designed better, myself. Oh, well.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    No
    I don't actively use them, they just happen. I mostly ignore the results, but it is annoying sometimes when they get a lifestyle that I really didn't intend for them to have. I would prefer to make those choices myself rather than having the game arbitrarily say "oh, you hate computers because you haven't used one in a while" well, no, she doesn't hate computers, she is just stranded on a desert island with no power. Now I'll have to fiddle to get that changed when she returns to civilization.
  • Options
    fionaloveserranofionaloveserrano Posts: 584 Member
    Yes
    Yes I do! But I don't like try to give them specific ones. They just live their lives genuinely and get whatever their lifestyle is. I want it to fit the way that sim lives even if I don't love that specific one. That's the way they live
  • Options
    JALJAL Posts: 1,102 Member
    I have them on, but only pay attention to them when it suits my play at the moment. I also use cheats to remove one if I don't like it, but usually I just let it be.

I love the idea of lifestyles - especially as sort of "reward" (in lack of a better word, consequence maybe?) traits. Ie a trait you get from your repeated actions. I wish there were more though, and that some of the traits would be lifestyles instead. For instance reading a lot could unlock a bookworm lifestyle, viewing art, going to museums or painting could unlock the artlover lifestyle and not eating meat could unlock the vegetarian lifestyle. To me that makes much more sense than these being actual personality traits which I see as something that you are more born with while this is what could choose to be.

@LadyKyn
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    Yep. I use them to replace things in CAS so it's not a third of their personality trait.

Loves Outdoors=Outdoorsy
    Active=Energetic
    Vegeterian=Health Food Nut
    Romantic=Hungry for Love
    Geek=Techie

I love that idea! I will probably use it that way much more in the future, save the traits for other stuff.

On a side note, I really want to bring back sliders for personality traits. neat-slobby, outgoing-loner, mean-nice, active-lazy - all those are scales, not fixed points.
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!