The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Simple living lot trait (quick meals)

Would it be possible in the future to give the meals in the quick meals menu ingredients and be able to use them with the simple living trait? Like buying orange juice for the glass of orange juice, milk and a box of cereal for the bowl of cereal, milk for the glass of milk, ect.

I always used the cereal and orange juice for my sim kids for breakfast because their sim parents were always at work.

Comments

• Options
    simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    Would it be possible in the future to give the meals in the quick meals menu ingredients and be able to use them with the simple living trait? Like buying orange juice for the glass of orange juice, milk and a box of cereal for the bowl of cereal, milk for the glass of milk, ect.

I always used the cereal and orange juice for my sim kids for breakfast because their sim parents were always at work.

I agree it is very annoying not to have any access to the Quick Meal menu at all in the Simple Living Lot Challenge. I too used to use cereal, milk and orange juice. I especially used to like to use milk along side certain meals or desserts so that the sim kids could eat and drink at the same time (I particularly liked to give them milk and cookies for a snack before bed so they would go to bed full and not be too hungry to sleep all night). Maybe the developers need to separate out those elements from the rest of the Quick Meals in their own menu, if sims have those ingredients. It's frustrating that sims now can't grab a glass of milk whenever they want, especially if the fridge is full of bottles of milk from freshly milked cows (and unlike the glass of milk sims don't seem able to drink a bottle of milk alongside eating a meal in the same way that they can with either milk or orange juice).
  • Options
    Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,924 Member
    It's frustrating that sims now can't grab a glass of milk whenever they want, especially if the fridge is full of bottles of milk from freshly milked cows (and unlike the glass of milk sims don't seem able to drink a bottle of milk alongside eating a meal in the same way that they can with either milk or orange juice).

That's a very good point about being able to eat and drink at the same time. Maybe at the very least, if they are unwilling to reconsider the role of quick meals in the simple living system, they could at least tweak the milk bottles so that they can be treated as a drink for the purposes of multitasking.

I do think in general they made a big mistake by eliminating the Quick Meals category entirely, instead of giving some logical thought to the individual choices. Milk should certainly still be there. So should the bowl of peas (particularly if you are actually growing peas/have them in the inventory), chicken nuggets if you have white meat, ham & cheese sandwich if you have bread, cheese, and meat, etc.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,532 Member
    I think the quick meals are still available in the cooler that came with outdoor retreat pack.
  • Options
    angelbearangelbear Posts: 151 Member
    So from highchairs you can still get quick meals with simple living but yes its kind of a pain you have to go that route
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Yes please. My sims miss their morning cereals.
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,589 Member
    Amapola76 wrote: »
    It's frustrating that sims now can't grab a glass of milk whenever they want, especially if the fridge is full of bottles of milk from freshly milked cows (and unlike the glass of milk sims don't seem able to drink a bottle of milk alongside eating a meal in the same way that they can with either milk or orange juice).

That's a very good point about being able to eat and drink at the same time. Maybe at the very least, if they are unwilling to reconsider the role of quick meals in the simple living system, they could at least tweak the milk bottles so that they can be treated as a drink for the purposes of multitasking.

I do think in general they made a big mistake by eliminating the Quick Meals category entirely, instead of giving some logical thought to the individual choices. Milk should certainly still be there. So should the bowl of peas (particularly if you are actually growing peas/have them in the inventory), chicken nuggets if you have white meat, ham & cheese sandwich if you have bread, cheese, and meat, etc.

The way EA programmed simple living, the quick meal category could only be enabled or disabled as a whole - if they are not planning to splice it up.
    That has obviously be causing some trouble in implementing the simple living challenge for quick meals.

- For instance, there is no base game pea that could be used as an ingredient, neither is there another ingredient that could be used for peas for players without the Seasons pack.
    - Also, some of the quick meals don't have an ingredient that would make sense. Like animal cookies could possibly use flour or sugar, but that would sound somewhat weird for a quick meal. What else could they use though?
    - Another example: There are no orange fruits in game so there also isn't an ingredient that could be used for orange juice.

So I kind of see why EA choose to not make quick meals available for the simple living challenge.

What EA could do though is adding a price tag to quick meals that don't use fresh ingredients so you'd have to buy those from the fridge.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    Sorry to hijack this thread but we really need a Juicer and a Orange tree. Use the pulp from the Juicer for the garden. Thanks for hijack.
  • Options
    GreenTurtleGreenTurtle Posts: 153 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »

The way EA programmed simple living, the quick meal category could only be enabled or disabled as a whole - if they are not planning to splice it up.
    That has obviously be causing some trouble in implementing the simple living challenge for quick meals.

- For instance, there is no base game pea that could be used as an ingredient, neither is there another ingredient that could be used for peas for players without the Seasons pack.
    - Also, some of the quick meals don't have an ingredient that would make sense. Like animal cookies could possibly use flour or sugar, but that would sound somewhat weird for a quick meal. What else could they use though?
    - Another example: There are no orange fruits in game so there also isn't an ingredient that could be used for orange juice.

So I kind of see why EA choose to not make quick meals available for the simple living challenge.

What EA could do though is adding a price tag to quick meals that don't use fresh ingredients so you'd have to buy those from the fridge.

How about if they added 'ingredients' to the game, like boxed juice or cereal packages that sims can buy? It would be still be quick, but at least it requires another step. Another option I could see is if they added another fridge category for drinks where they could put things like milk and fruit juice. This would also work well if they added a blender, juicer or smoothie maker in the future.
  • Options
    That would be possible, but adding new ingredients means a lot of work and would have to be base game (e.g. free). We already got a lot of free stuff with the Cottage Living patch, I doubt that there would have been a budget for more.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    Cary1213Cary1213 Posts: 91 Member
    I think it might be easier to add it to the things you can buy as groceries.
    SvgJRlK.png
  • Options
    carpe_diemcarpe_diem Posts: 280 Member
    edited August 2021
    I hope they add Grocery stores in the future (put multiple ex. apples in a box and sell, pick groceries in a basket, get everything in a grocery bag). There are already a lot of packages in the game that they can make interacrable (Boxes with washing powder from laudry day. A box of orange juice in debug. Milk bottles. Etc). They can make bags of Nuggets or fozen peas to the Grocery Delivery service.
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    They are recipes though. Recipes cannot be bought as groceries. They could be added to the food delivery service recipe but that might be a bit weird. Who'd order a glass of milk that way?

I think the mix of stuff you have to pay for and stuff you need ingredients for would actually work best.
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,532 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »
    They are recipes though. Recipes cannot be bought as groceries. They could be added to the food delivery service recipe but that might be a bit weird. Who'd order a glass of milk that way?

I think the mix of stuff you have to pay for and stuff you need ingredients for would actually work best.

We can already buy bottles of milk, why can't sims get a glass of milk from the fridge? It's not like it requires preparation to serve it. Or even cereals.
  • Options
    It's different kind of tuning, recipes vs. ingredients.
    I have not invented this, I only tell you how it is currently coded in the game.
    Doesn't mean you cannot request it, it just won't work to order it from the grocery shop. Getting it from the fridge can of course be programmed, but that's not what I was talking about in the post you quoted.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,961 Member
    Yes. Right now the only way to get quick meals in those lots is by Zoomers delivery.
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I gotta be that guy I think.
    Simple living is a lot challenge.. specifically to challenge you to have your sims live off the land (or buy groceries) if you want to eat. You have to have the ingredients to cook.
    If you want quick meals that you don't pay for it kind of defeats the whole purpose of a lot challenge.
    I'm sure it was put in the game to give those that crave that challenge a way to get it. If your sim could autonomously get quick meals and feed themselves just because you had a fridge that challenge is completely lost.

egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    edited August 2021
    For my sim a quick meal is a raw carrot, either bought or home grown. :D I'll have to try her on some of the canned goods she's made; I usually sell them, but now that she's not so broke I'll let her eat them.

I like this lot challenge, I hope it doesn't get nerfed.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I wish they would just put the quick meals back with the challenge. Or require the ingredients. Like for cereal you at least need milk, same for yogurt, pb&j require bread & a preserve, ham & cheese would need bread + cheese + red meat etc. That or put them on the grocery list and let us purchase them, especially yogurt and orange juice especially orange juice since we don’t have harvestable oranges in game. We could buy cheese crackers too, or they could require having flour and cheese.
  • Options
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    Simple living is a lot challenge.. specifically to challenge you to have your sims live off the land (or buy groceries) if you want to eat. You have to have the ingredients to cook.
    If you want quick meals that you don't pay for it kind of defeats the whole purpose of a lot challenge.
    I'm sure it was put in the game to give those that crave that challenge a way to get it. If your sim could autonomously get quick meals and feed themselves just because you had a fridge that challenge is completely lost.

Yeah, I think you're missing the point here. We all get what the simple lot challenge is. But if you have peas, you should be able to eat a bowl of peas. If you have milk, you should be able to drink milk.
  • Options
    Hermitgirl wrote: »

Yeah, I think you're missing the point here. We all get what the simple lot challenge is. But if you have peas, you should be able to eat a bowl of peas. If you have milk, you should be able to drink milk.

Right, they could add cereal to the grocery items and orange juice, peanut butter, crackers, etc. we can grow the peas, and edamame and apples for apple sauce we have all the ingredients for ham and cheese already as I said above bread 🍞 + cheese 🧀 + red meat 🥩. So it seems it wouldn’t be difficult to make the items available in keeping with the challenge. Then to make it quick just deduct the ingredients from our inventory/fridge without going through the cooking/prep animations.
  • Options
    I know a lot of people (me included) have wished to be limited in cooking by what ingredients we had at hand. But I don't think this lot challenge is designed for just that. I think it's for really simple living, where you only eat whatever you grow or can buy at the local farmer's market. This challenge is for what I would call "old time living" where you don't have fancy yogurts, microwaves or processed foods, and you have to cook whatever you eat; or for "I'm totally broke living" where Cheerios are too expensive for you to buy on your non-existent budget and you literally have to live off the land and cook everything without shortcuts.

Yes, I've got peas but I would have to cook them before I had a bowl of them. If you want to eat peas as a 'quick meal' you'd have to grow them and eat them raw.

I do agree that we ought to be able to drink a glass of milk, and I wish we could buy oats for oatmeal, but again, a bowl of oatmeal would have to be cooked, so it isn't a quick meal.

For that matter, some of the meals in the 'quick meal' category would need to be cooked in the microwave or on the stove ebfore eating, so maybe we've all gotten spoiled by that oversimplification. At least ssome of the foods in the quick meal category might be classed as leftovers.
  • Options
    Isharell wrote: »
    I know a lot of people (me included) have wished to be limited in cooking by what ingredients we had at hand. But I don't think this lot challenge is designed for just that. I think it's for really simple living, where you only eat whatever you grow or can buy at the local farmer's market. This challenge is for what I would call "old time living" where you don't have fancy yogurts, microwaves or processed foods, and you have to cook whatever you eat; or for "I'm totally broke living" where Cheerios are too expensive for you to buy on your non-existent budget and you literally have to live off the land and cook everything without shortcuts.

Yes, I've got peas but I would have to cook them before I had a bowl of them. If you want to eat peas as a 'quick meal' you'd have to grow them and eat them raw.

I do agree that we ought to be able to drink a glass of milk, and I wish we could buy oats for oatmeal, but again, a bowl of oatmeal would have to be cooked, so it isn't a quick meal.

For that matter, some of the meals in the 'quick meal' category would need to be cooked in the microwave or on the stove ebfore eating, so maybe we've all gotten spoiled by that oversimplification. At least ssome of the foods in the quick meal category might be classed as leftovers.

You do have a good point. I have the challenge on pretty much all of my lots except my wealthiest sims because there’s no limits on what foods the super wealthy can access, and I do enjoy it very much. Maybe then they could add a harvestable orange tree so my sims can still have o.j. 🍊
  • Options

You do have a good point. I have the challenge on pretty much all of my lots except my wealthiest sims because there’s no limits on what foods the super wealthy can access, and I do enjoy it very much. Maybe then they could add a harvestable orange tree so my sims can still have o.j. 🍊

I would love to have orange trees for oj!
  • Options
    edited August 2021

You know people do this, right? When we grow peas, we always eat them raw when they are fresh and in season. It's a very common spring snack. The kids love them this way, even more than microwaved, really.

It's also super-easy to make homemade yogurt. I would have loved to see yogurt (using your own milk, maybe with optional fruit) as an option under canning. (Yogurt isn't exactly a preserve, but then, neither is chocolate syrup, custard, or mayonnaise; it makes as much sense as any of those.)

As far as oatmeal is concerned, you already have to microwave it. I don't see why you shouldn't still be able to do that, if we were also able to grow or buy oats.

Again, the whole point is not that every quick meal option should still be available with the simple living challenge. It's that some of them would still make sense even with the challenge. We might draw the lines differently with respect to specific items, but some of them very clearly make no sense.
  • Options

You know people do this, right? When we grow peas, we always eat them raw when they are fresh and in season. It's a very common spring snack. The kids love them this way, even more than microwaved, really.

It's also super-easy to make homemade yogurt. I would have loved to see yogurt (using your own milk, maybe with optional fruit) as an option under canning. (Yogurt isn't exactly a preserve, but then, neither is chocolate syrup, custard, or mayonnaise; it makes as much sense as any of those.)

As far as oatmeal is concerned, you already have to microwave it. I don't see why you shouldn't still be able to do that, if we were also able to grow or buy oats.

Again, the whole point is not that every quick meal option should still be available with the simple living challenge. It's that some of them would still make sense even with the challenge. We might draw the lines differently with respect to specific items, but some of them very clearly make no sense.

I said this earlier in the thread:
    I wish they would just put the quick meals back with the challenge. Or require the ingredients. Like for cereal you at least need milk, same for yogurt, pb&j require bread & a preserve, ham & cheese would need bread + cheese + red meat etc. That or put them on the grocery list and let us purchase them, especially yogurt and orange juice especially orange juice since we don’t have harvestable oranges in game. We could buy cheese crackers too, or they could require having flour and cheese.

If they added oats to the grocery store they could be a required ingredient not just for oatmeal but also the oatmeal cookies for the baking menu. Then you could use them to make your own cereal...like granola. It would be the best of both worlds.