The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Please: Remove the "Idle Chat"!

Comments

• Options
    ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    Nylalia wrote: »
    I get creeped out when one of my child Sims wanders out into the street to chat with some random grownup townie. Never for random CHILD townies. No - must be a random grownup.

You know, there's coding galore on every interaction in the game involving relationships, emotions, and traits to decide how to use them, but nothing about age, Pretty dumb.
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,589 Member
    ravynwolvf wrote: »
    But honestly, idle chat doesn't seem entirely like what people here are talking about fixing. Idle chat is the empty babble in between actual social interactions that does nothing for relationship (it's called that in the game programming). It's like the pauses between bites of food. What getting rid of the idle chat does is make sims only use real interactions with no empty chatter in between. That won't change sims approaching you, just what they do WHEN they approach you, so it won't start with idle chat but with a real interaction. Which is usually an introduction social if they don't know you, since they need that first before they can use others.

The problem lies more in the queue itself, I think. The interaction the new sim wants to do with you doesn't always show up right away so you can't cancel it, especially if you are already talking to another sim. Which means the only way you can get rid of the far away sim that is making your sim just stand and wait is to cancel the conversation you're already in. If there's anything they need to do, it's to cut down on the distance a sim can try and interact with you from, and to make the little picture on the top where it shows who are you interacting with clickable, so you can just boot them out.

Another thing you can do is to turn off autonomy (with a mod) on introductions (along with nuking idle chat), if you don't want sims you don't know interacting with you. They will still come up and talk to the person you are talking to if they know THEM, but they will leave you alone.

Exactly. That actually is the approach I've been taking with my conversationtweak mod.

Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    emereemere Posts: 1,755 Member

@finvola indeed, I give up with bowling... it was not the best bowling of the Sims series but it was fun :(

• Options
    emereemere Posts: 1,755 Member
    edited January 2020

Many features are now broken or unstable due to the idle chat. Players should see that the Multitasking is not working properly now! Multitasking was the main feature of Sims 4, why EA team is ruining it!

Please, EA Team, tuned down the idle chat! I want it as it was moths ago. Players will enjoy more the game and all the stuff we already pay, and be whising more packs.
  • Options
    HestiaHestia Posts: 1,997 Member
    We should definitely have the option to turn it on or off. It’s apparent that in The Sims 4, it’s almost impossible to keep unique relationships between different Sims if they simply do similar actions towards each other.
    wB2Zykl.jpg
  • Options
    Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    It needs to be tweaked in many ways
  • Options
    AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Just downloaded the mod, I can’t stand when people talk to my sim when she’s supposed to be doing something else, such as studying.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• Options
    yes it needs to be gotten rid of or toned down, I hate when the action pops up when my sims are home the most
  • Options
    loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,471 Member
    Just downloaded the mod, I can’t stand when people talk to my sim when she’s supposed to be doing something else, such as studying.

Which mod did you download @AquaGamer1212? Is it working as you'd hope?
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 7,226 Member
    Just hopping in, I use this one, and at least so far working fine :) The newest one in this site (free) , https://www.patreon.com/zer0_ , lol I cannot post direct link to the mod as it has a word what most likely will turn to "plum" , resulting link not working :)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
    My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    edited March 2020
    Not sure it happens just only me with the more personality please mod, my sims started to be flirty with other sims while they're being flirty with this mod, and I didn't like it. In my game, I have no autonomous rude flirty enchanted introduction mod and since that time, my sims being flirty with their spouse or boy/girlfriends only. Other than that, I actually like the more personality please mod. And I agree idle chat is completely useless too.
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,589 Member
    I had the same issue with the more personality please mod.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 7,014 Member
    I micromanage my sims, and play rotationally so I usually have my sims talk to others in my rotation. My biggest problem is plants going to dirt piles, so I know how annoying things you don’t like can be. Good luck with getting them to change it, I remember once one of my sims was late for a university class because of idle chat too.
  • Options
    angelbearangelbear Posts: 151 Member
    I don't mind the idea of idol chat. But I think it needs to be tone down and tweaked. If your at a party then I could see you talking with the guests. If you were on a date or family dinner or something on a community lot then target party should be excluded. If you were at a community lot without a group you should only be targeted if you are known by sim X (have a relationship with them) and they are in a certain proximity. If they did something like that I'd be fine with it.
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Hmm…

Two of the sims that sought out my played sim has really good chemistry with him. That was nice.
  • Options
    Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,140 Member
    I use the MCCC cheat 'Make Sim Leave' so many times while playing. Even with mods, there are some Sims that always manage to bulldoze their way into private conversations, or come to my Sims's homes in the middle of the night, I have no choice but to give them the boot. If there was any reason for them to do this it would be different. But all they want to do is blahblahblah, and then leave after disrupting a perfect date or a meaningful conversation. After all of that, my Sims won't even have built any relationship with that rude Sim. It has to be one of the least useful interactions in the entire game.
  • Options
    Simily4Simily4 Posts: 61 Member
    While I get where you guys are coming from, I don't really think it's a good idea to essentially remove the Idle Chat feature from the game. It's one of those things that makes the game more realistic, you know? Yes, it may disrupt a sim's action queue, but if you don't want them trying to converse with other sims, I suggest turning off your Autonomy settings. But if you don't want that, maybe only disable Autonomy for selected sim. What I'd suggest to somehow solve this problem, even I experience and sometimes get annoyed by, is to have it in the settings so we can toggle Idle Chat on or off, like opting sims out of Fame i Get Famous, or disabling the Civic Planner and/or Eco Footprint i Eco Lifestyle.

There are mods that goes in-depth with Autonomy scanning like MC Command Center, but it's safe to assume that not everyone wants a mod in their game. I used to be. There is also a mod that makes these unnecessary idle chatting by actually choosing random social interactions between sims. Though personally, I don't like that mod because I don't want my sims to randomly Discuss Local Fishing Spots. Best thing we could do is to immediately cancel our sims' queued Idle Chat before they could start the action. But another problem lies with the action queue itself: sometimes, it doesn't do actions in order, and sometimes it doesn't cancel actions immediately.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited August 2021
    Simily4 wrote: »
    While I get where you guys are coming from, I don't really think it's a good idea to essentially remove the Idle Chat feature from the game. It's one of those things that makes the game more realistic, you know? Yes, it may disrupt a sim's action queue, but if you don't want them trying to converse with other sims, I suggest turning off your Autonomy settings. But if you don't want that, maybe only disable Autonomy for selected sim. What I'd suggest to somehow solve this problem, even I experience and sometimes get annoyed by, is to have it in the settings so we can toggle Idle Chat on or off, like opting sims out of Fame i Get Famous, or disabling the Civic Planner and/or Eco Footprint i Eco Lifestyle.

There are mods that goes in-depth with Autonomy scanning like MC Command Center, but it's safe to assume that not everyone wants a mod in their game. I used to be. There is also a mod that makes these unnecessary idle chatting by actually choosing random social interactions between sims. Though personally, I don't like that mod because I don't want my sims to randomly Discuss Local Fishing Spots. Best thing we could do is to immediately cancel our sims' queued Idle Chat before they could start the action. But another problem lies with the action queue itself: sometimes, it doesn't do actions in order, and sometimes it doesn't cancel actions immediately.

As much as I hate the idle chat I've thought of this too. It's also a way for sims to engage with eachother automatically around the world. I just wonder how sims will behave if they turn it off. What if you attend a party and suddenly no sims are socializing and no sim ever talks to your sim.....
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    angelbearangelbear Posts: 151 Member
    Fleshing out my earlier post. This is how I think it should work. If it worked like this I'd be fine with it.

If your Sim is in a group or on a date they should be excluded from idle chat with all sims outside their group.

If they are by themselves on a community lot there should be maybe
    3-5% chance that a random sim they do not know comes up to them to chat
    5-10% chance if they are at least acquaintance
    15% -30%chance if they are friends or family members or in a relationship with said sim

If they are at home:
    Reduce it to a 10-15% chance another sim in the house engages them in conversation if they are busy doing something (cooking skill building talking to someone going to the bathroom ect...)

It could increase to 30% if they are not currently doing something with the remained chance being that the sim goes and does something on their own.

Because I bump into people and talk to them when out and about or even go and talk with my mom sometimes why she is cooking or we watch TV. So I get what they are trying to do. I just think it needs to be tuned and tweaked a bit.
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I'll admit that I like some idle chat but I agree when on a date that it is an issue. Sometimes I like my sims to chat with others. Maybe they could overhaul the chat feature. I would still have some group conversations when out but yes, if you are trying to have romantic interests talk to each other, it is annoying. I think that is part of an overhaul of romance but I also actually think they could overhaul friendship too to make it more interesting.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    Simily4Simily4 Posts: 61 Member
    > @ChampandGirlie said:
    > I'll admit that I like some idle chat but I agree when on a date that it is an issue. Sometimes I like my sims to chat with others. Maybe they could overhaul the chat feature. I would still have some group conversations when out but yes, if you are trying to have romantic interests talk to each other, it is annoying. I think that is part of an overhaul of romance but I also actually think they could overhaul friendship too to make it more interesting.

I'd like the developers to overhaul events sims are invited to like dates and parties. Either they prevent Idle Chat from happening, or they use Idle Chat only with the sims within the formed group of that event.
  • Options
    MoonlightGrahamMoonlightGraham Posts: 884 Member
    Like many of you, I find Idle Chat really annoying when my Sims are on dates. If my Sims are invited on dates to public places--places that *should* be great places for dates, like a park or a lounge--I'm tempted to turn them down. Invariably, random NPCs crash our conversations. The NPCs often arrive in Flirty moods, so they often create awkward conversations when they turn on their "charm." It becomes a contest, in which I try to find quiet places on the lot for my Sim and their date to chat and flirt, before the NPCs track them down again.

If the outing is a friendly one--let's say friends going to work out together--having NPCs come and chat isn't so intrusive.
    Exie hay, cavero, veebo marz viremzico.
    Exie hay, cavero, mabza meeah vendarzo.
    Yevsas mairzeemo!
  • Options
    WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    Idle chat is useless. Why? What's the point of this? Why can't sims have actual conversation? I want sims to talk on their own. Use some interactions from that pie menu. What should I do, tell them to NOW KISS?

I have been using have some personality please forever. I remember time when idle chat didn't exist. Why did this idle chat stay for so long when it's so useless and boring? Why nobody complain about this more?
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I almost forgot how bad it is because I forgot I've been using no idle chat mod for a long time. I now remember why I got it. My sims were having a romantic date on the beach trying to slow dance (with mod) and kept getting constantly interrupted. Infact the date was so interrupted that because they were mermaids I had both swim out to the sea. Finally at peace my sims were continuing their date. Then suddenly one of them starts swimming back to shore. I click to see why and it was to talk with an idle chatter and I was unable to cancel it like most ts4 interactions.
    Had the mod ever since. 😆😆
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I am running into this a lot in Henford on Bagley - particularly annoying when I my sims are simply trying to navigate the Bramblewood, only to get pulled off-course by a rando they neither know nor wish to way on the other side of the map from where I want them to go.

It hasn't been this bad since I played in San Myshuno, when my busy little sims would actually exit their high rise apartments, and navigate a crowded street fair to chat up a stranger rather than do what I had them doing.

As long as we are taking a pass at base game content, tuning this way back, or eliminating it completely, would be grand. There are enough opportunities to make new acquaintances without it.