Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cottage Living Positive Thoughts Thread šŸ“

Comments

• Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I am so excited about having chickens in the game. I would like to have chickens in Sulani as well so I hope some kind modder will help make their home look a little more Sulani-style.
  • Options
    simfriend1968simfriend1968 Posts: 578 Member
    edited July 2021
    Does any know any more about canning? It's another thing I'm really looking forward to. I like very much that they'll be able to use regular stoves for it. I know the sims can eat it straight from the jar, but I can't remember if I read it or it's just wishful thinking, can sims spread it on something else? Use it in other recipes? Has anyone seen any more in gameplay videos?
    It's winter down here, and we had a glut of mandarins, so for the first time I made Mandarin Jam. I've made other jams before, but this was the first time I did it with Mandarins. So delicious. Peeled the fruit, added a heap of sugar, squeeze of lemon, simmer to a slow boil. Turned out great. And today I made Lime Pickle for the first time - still cooling, so don't know how it tastes yet. .... Makes me wonder when we'll be getting Orange Trees. Maybe in a Mediterranean inspired pack...

I too am looking forward to the new canning system and all the preserves and ingredients it will allow sims to make. But it doesn't behave quite as it did in the Sims 3, in part because not every harvestable in the game (even in the base game) can be canned. Now, the EP is in an unfinished state, so part of me hopes that these missing fruits will appear as options in the final version (although I think realistically that it is unlikely).

Sadly it also seems (based on some Gamechanger videos) that the jams are not spreadable on baked goods already in the game, only on the new baked goods coming with the pack. For instance, Sims can make plain crumpets with butter and jam-covered ones like "blueberry" or "raspberry" crumpets. If the latter is selected, the sim will bake crumpets and then at the end put down a serving plate of crumpets with whatever the selected jam was smothered on top of each one. (But they come that way.) Deligracy demonstrated this.

I'm guessing it would have been logistically difficult to have all the jams now available as spreads for the many types of baked good in the game (especially given the number of recipes that came with the baking skill from GTW). The lack of a spreading animation is less forgivable, just laziness I think or the fact that all their animation resources for this pack were directed at animating the animals.

Despite these drawbacks, I still do think the canning system looks good and it's really great that there are so many types of preserves and that they are useable as ingredients in new pies and in animal treats, as well as behaving like real preserves and storing fruits and veggies for a longer time. They can even be made from the new oversized veggies: one gamechanger reported getting 12 jars of lettuce conserve from an oversized lettuce head, which was preferable to making it into a $3 salad.

I don't know if there will be any cross-pack functionality with the canning system, but it would be nice if in the future the Sims team returned to it and made improvements, or at least added the currently omitted basegame harvestable fruits like cherries, lemons and pears etc.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,873 Member
    Next recipe: Bangers and Mash

jMRR4dv.png

Bangers and mash, also known as sausages and mash, is a traditional dish of Great Britain and Ireland, consisting of sausages served with mashed potatoes. It may consist of one of a variety of flavored sausages made of pork, lamb, or beef (often specifically Cumberland sausage). The dish is usually served with onion gravy, but may also include fried onions and peas.

Bangers and mash in vegetarian style
    This dish, even when cooked at home, may be thought of as an example of pub grub, meaning it is relatively quick and easy to make in large quantities.

In 2009, the dish was listed as Britain's most popular comfort food in a survey commissioned by TV channel Good Food.

Although it is sometimes stated that the term "bangers" has its origins in World War II, the term was actually in use at least as far back as 1919. The term "bangers" is attributed (in common usage in the UK) to the fact that sausages made during World War I, when there were meat shortages, were made with such a high water content that they were liable to pop under high heat when cooked.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangers_and_mash

And a recipe for making your own.

https://www.recipetineats.com/bangers-and-mash-sausage-with-onion-gravy/
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,928 Member
    Oh yes, I forgot.. not to look here before eating something :D
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited July 2021
    @simgirl1010 "Although it is sometimes stated that the term "bangers" has its origins in World War II, the term was actually in use at least as far back as 1919. The term "bangers" is attributed (in common usage in the UK) to the fact that sausages made during World War I, when there were meat shortages, were made with such a high water content that they were liable to pop under high heat when cooked."

I well remember those sausages just after the second world war. My mum always pricked them several times before putting them in the saucepan or oven. They were delicious as they always seemed to split down the middle so great to put between thick slices of buttered bread without having to cut them in half! Delicious. ;)

• Options
    @simgirl1010 "Although it is sometimes stated that the term "bangers" has its origins in World War II, the term was actually in use at least as far back as 1919. The term "bangers" is attributed (in common usage in the UK) to the fact that sausages made during World War I, when there were meat shortages, were made with such a high water content that they were liable to pop under high heat when cooked."

I well remember those sausages just after the second world war. My mum always ā¤ļøā¤ļøā¤ļøā¤ļø them several times before putting them in the saucepan or oven. They were delicious as they always seemed to split down the middle so great to put between thick slices of buttered bread without having to cut them in half! Delicious. ;)

Now I want to know what word was censored. :p
  • Options
    Final recipe: Crumpets

Pic is under a spoiler for those with a sensitivity to holes.
    AV2OduC.png

Crumpets are English griddle cakes made from flour, milk/water and yeast and are traditionally eaten for breakfast or with afternoon tea. Theyā€™re soft and somewhat spongy in texture and their crowning feature are the dozens of tiny holes that dot the surface, allowing whatever you spread on them to soak down into them, making each and every bite an unforgettable one.

What Is the Difference Between a Crumpet and an English Muffin?
    Crumpets and English muffins are sometimes confused and while itā€™s true that theyā€™re both cooked on a griddle, they are distinctly different. English muffins are more like bread rolls; theyā€™re doughy, heavier and bread-like. English muffins are also cut in a half for serving.

Crumpets are lighter and spongier in texture both as a result of different ingredients/ratios as well as technique and the dual rising method that gives them a different texture, consistency and appearance (specifically the dozens of tiny holes that dot the top surface).

Unlike English muffins, crumpets are not split in half for serving. Instead the butter, honey, jam, etc and spread right on top of the toasted crumpet.

Where Did Crumpets Originate?
    If the Union Jack above isnā€™t a dead giveaway, crumpets originated in United Kingdom.

One of the earliest mentions of ā€œcrumpetā€ came from the English Bible translator, John Wycliffe, who referred to them as ā€œthe crompid cake.ā€ The name is thought to have Celtic origins referring to a ā€œthin, flat cakeā€ (i.e., Breton: krampouezhl; Cornish: krampoeth; or Welsh: crempog or crempot, a type of pancake).

The Evolution of the Crumpet
    The crumpet has evolved over time. Centuries ago they were made without yeast and were flatter and harder, more like pancakes (what is also a Welsh variation, bara piglydd, known as pikelets, likewise enjoyed throughout Australia and New Zealand). During the Victorian era the yeast was introduced and crumpets have never been the same since ā€“ for the better.

How To Make Crumpets
    Once youā€™ve tried homemade crumpets youā€™ll fall in love forever! Check out our step-by-step pictured instructions below and the crumpets recipe video in the recipe box for instructions on how to make homemade crumpets!

https://www.daringgourmet.com/traditional-english-crumpets/
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member

I well remember those sausages just after the second world war. My mum always ā¤ļøā¤ļøā¤ļøā¤ļø them several times before putting them in the saucepan or oven. They were delicious as they always seemed to split down the middle so great to put between thick slices of buttered bread without having to cut them in half! Delicious. ;)

They also BANG when you put them in the microwave at the highest setting. :D
  • Options
    ZiafarZiafar Posts: 704 Member
    Still one hour to go before dinner! Reading you my stomach already grumbles!
  • Options

They also BANG when you put them in the microwave at the highest setting. :D

@simgirl I forgot that part of that word was a vulgar forbidden word now! It started with PR and ended with D, meaning stuck the fork in the top and ...... five little holes several times along the top of each!

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 Don't remind me. I once made a mistake with a new line Marks & Spencer had bought in whereby you had to peel off a metal top keeping a food pot fresh and then recover it with the plastic one. The resulting Bang also resulted in me having to get a new microwave, and shortly after those pots were taken off the shelves at M&S. There must have been several people as forgetful as me!
  • Options

Hi everyone

summer vacation has started here and we soon get a new patch and a
    brand new EP. The topic seems to appeal to many and I fully expect a
    boat load of new bugs.

The problem is: I currently don't have that much time and want to also
    experience the pack myself (don't want a repeat of the Eco pack that I
    never really played and still have issues to properly troubleshoot), so I
    need everyone's help.

Please check the compiled list + the first two pages if your issue was
    reported before making a new thread. If it was reported, me too the
    thread or bump it if you have extra info.

Please use titles that reflect your actual issue, don't put: Sims 4 Bug
    or Cottage Living Bug.

Give as much info as possible in your post. To my knowledge, there
    are no mind readers at Maxis or in this forum so what seems obvious
    to you, might not be for the people trying to test/fix bugs or help you.
    Always test the bug on a vanilla (no mods/no cc) save. Do not report
    bugs that you only see on a modded game. For best practice on this,
    see below.

Make ONE thread per issue. Don't report multiple bugs in one post.
    If you need troubleshooting help, it's best to post in the technical forum
    of your platform. There are a lot of knowledgeable people helping out
    there that can you help you. If it turn out to be a game bug, you can always
    create a new report in the bug forum later. Same goes for game issues. If
    you're unsure if it's a bug, discuss it with the folks over at the Sims forum
    or in General Discussion to see what their opinion is. If you agree it's a bug,
    report it here.

There are a few issues that I can't really help with and that I generally mostly
    leave to others anyways. This will be done with no exception during this busy
    period. (refer to post #2 in this thread for more details:
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/INFORMATION-How-does-this-forum-work/m-p/3445255#M181735)
    Help each other. AHQ is a player help player forum and at the end of the day,
    that's we're all doing here.

Try to edit your posts if you have something extra to add/typos to fix and no
    one has posted after you yet instead of bumping. Makes the thread easier to follow
    As a reminder: EA Staff and the Sims team are normally monitoring this forum
    as they would everyday. The normal process from there side is not interrupted
    by me having less time. The only downside will be that there's less organization,
    less troubleshooting and bugs might not appear on the compiled list that fast.

More info here:
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/PLEASE-READ-Information-Questions-about-the-bug-forum/m-p/10521794#M189998

• Options

Hi everyone

boat load of new bugs.

need everyone's help.

or Cottage Living Bug.

see below.

report it here.

There are a few issues that I can't really help with and that I generally mostly
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/INFORMATION-How-does-this-forum-work/m-p/3445255#M181735)

one has posted after you yet instead of bumping. Makes the thread easier to follow
    by me having less time. The only downside will be that there's less organization,

More info here:
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/PLEASE-READ-Information-Questions-about-the-bug-forum/m-p/10521794#M189998

This needs to be pinned at the top of every Category. It will help all of us. Can some moderator do this for us please?

Thanks for that information @simgirl1010

• Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    edited July 2021
    There are loads of different sausages in the UK I prefer my Bangers and mash to be lincolnshire sausages as they are more lean and less fat. I also use these sausages if I fancy yorkshire pudding and sausages cooked together-) (toad in the hole) It's not something I would even try making but I like them because coarse pork is used instead of mince and they use sage in the recipe that I also like..

MCd2YHD.jpg

Every October there is a Lincolnshire sausage Festival sets up in the Lincoln Castle grounds. link below:

https://lincolnshire.org/lincolnshire-sausage-festival/

Recipe for lincolnshire sausages for anyone interested:

https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-recipes/fresh/uk/lincolnshire-traditional

Other banger varieties common to the uk as follows:

Yorkshire sausage
    Oxford sausage
    Suffolk sausage
    Marylebone sausage
    Gloucester sausage
    Cumberland sausage
    Lincolnshire sausage

Further info here:

https://lincolnshire.org/lincolnshire-sausage-recipe/

Crumpet research appears to agree they are an English invention and again I don't make them personally but think toasted with butter dripping through the holes with a decent strawberry/raspberry jam dolloped on top eaten warm yum! I only allow myself to eat crumpets a couple of times a year on a lazy sunday morning due to the high fat and sugar content :)

xppZvIc.jpg

English crumpet recipe as follows:

https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/english-crumpets-with-butter.html

My favorite English muffin is made with butter and my favorite meal for this is a muffin split in half toasted with a scraping of butter covered with smoked salmon poached eggs and hollandaise sauce which is commonly termed as eggs royale or eggs benedict

vWBEsDC.jpg

Unfortunately after a little research muffins appear to be more american in origin than British but who cares when they taste so good :)
  • Options
    GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,292 Member
    There are loads of different sausages in the UK I prefer my Bangers and mash to be lincolnshire sausages as they are more lean and less fat. I also use these sausages if I fancy yorkshire pudding and sausages cooked together-) (toad in the hole) It's not something I would even try making but I like them because coarse pork is used instead of mince and they use sage in the recipe that I also like..

MCd2YHD.jpg

Every October there is a Lincolnshire sausage Festival sets up in the Lincoln Castle grounds. link below:

https://lincolnshire.org/lincolnshire-sausage-festival/

Recipe for lincolnshire sausages for anyone interested:

https://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-recipes/fresh/uk/lincolnshire-traditional

Other banger varieties common to the uk as follows:

Yorkshire sausage
    Oxford sausage
    Suffolk sausage
    Marylebone sausage
    Gloucester sausage
    Cumberland sausage
    Lincolnshire sausage

Further info here:

https://lincolnshire.org/lincolnshire-sausage-recipe/

Crumpet research appears to agree they are an English invention and again I don't make them personally but think toasted with butter dripping through the holes with a decent strawberry/raspberry jam dolloped on top eaten warm yum! I only allow myself to eat crumpets a couple of times a year on a lazy sunday morning due to the high fat and sugar content :)

xppZvIc.jpg

English crumpet recipe as follows:

https://realfood.tesco.com/recipes/english-crumpets-with-butter.html

My favorite English muffin is made with butter and my favorite meal for this is a muffin split in half toasted with a scraping of butter covered with smoked salmon poached eggs and hollandaise sauce which is commonly termed as eggs royale or eggs benedict

vWBEsDC.jpg

Unfortunately after a little research muffins appear to be more american in origin than British but who cares when they taste so good :)

Iā€™m from Lincolnshire! Always nice to see a bit of Lincolnshire representation in the Sims forums hahah
  • Options
    @GracieO312

You are very welcome :) and i like the lincolnshire area not just your sausages :)
  • Options
    @GracieO312

You are very welcome :) and i like the lincolnshire area not just your sausages :)

Haha thatā€™s fine I absolutely loathe the sausages too! :lol:
  • Options
    @GracieO312

Apologies for the way i wrote my last statement. I love lincolnshire sausages (only ones I eat ever) but i was trying to explain i love lincolnshire the area as well. Sorry for the confusion-)
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    @GracieO312

I think you mis-read that as Sparky said she prefers Lincolnshire sausages! I tend to make my own sausages, Glamorgan vegetarian ones. They are mega yummy.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Yeah I did! But I still stand by my comment. I canā€™t stand them haha!
  • Options
    @GracieO312

I understand that about your dislike of sausages and they are not my go to food either but occasionally I get the urge to eat them :)

@elanorbreton

Your vegetarian sausages sound delicious too! :)
  • Options
    Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member

@EA_Mari @EA_Lanna @EA_Joz I don't know who this should go to but please pass it on to the correct individual for consideration. Please look under the spoiler as this is very helpful information for existing and new users to the forum. (It is also listed in this thread.) If you could consider posting this in a banner above like the Friday highlights so that everyone knows where to access it.

The information will only be lost in individual threads. The search box is there; yet, this just makes it easier to find. Much appreciated. :)

Hi everyone

boat load of new bugs.

need everyone's help.

or Cottage Living Bug.

see below.

report it here.

More info here:

Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • Options
    kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    I also saw somewhere that it is very helpful when ppl click "me too" on bug reports so I went there and clicked me too on every bug I have been experiencing.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • Options
    Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member
    Although I will have foxes enabled, I have no desire to befriend them. The gameplay with them is a nice added challenge to managing a farm. I wonder how many will befriend the foxes.

Some may have noticed that I'm pro bunny. The little birds also welcome.

I'm just excited to have my Sim teach his future children about farming and being kind to animals once he's married. Yeah, some of this will be in my head. Yet, it would be nice if they add an interaction where a parent talks to their children about how to be kind to animals; how to care for plants and things like that.
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,928 Member
    Hearts4u wrote: Ā»
    Although I will have foxes enabled, I have no desire to befriend them. The gameplay with them is a nice added challenge to managing a farm. I wonder how many will befriend the foxes.

I'm just excited to have my Sim teach his future children about farming and being kind to animals once he's married. Yeah, some of this will be in my head. Yet, it would be nice if they add an interaction where a parent talks to their children about how to be kind to animals; how to care for plants and things like that.

I am one of those who will befriend a fox, but that will be very special fox <3

And therefore that fox shall leave bunnies and chickens alone :smiley:
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Hearts4u wrote: Ā»

I'm befriending foxes. And bunnies. And birds. And my llama. and my hens. My roosters will only be acquaintances.

I have a story in mind, but I think I'm going to run through a couple of weeks in a test save first so I'm less likely to be blindsided by something.

Still going to play with a spellcaster in both cases, though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top