The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Style or function, how do you build?

124...Next

Comments

• Options
    Noree_DoreeNoree_Doree Posts: 1,470 Member
    Function: My lots are optimized for gameplay. I don't go overboard when decorating and use cheats with caution.
    I'm not a huge builder, more so a decorator and renovator, however, I've had issues in the past with MOO (Moveobjects) thus I stopped using it and will only use it if a door or something cannot be placed for some unnamed reason, but then again I do playtest. I also put whether I've used MOO in my uploads to the gallery. I really wish more people would. This is why I decided to renovate and build instead of download from the gallery. Either way, I'm more about functional and I like the occasional clutter to make a residential lot feel more homely
    "Bada su the gorn bada su the brawn bada bady oda aba donk donk donk gerbits gerbits vo gerbits".
  • Options
    Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    Bare minimum: My sims live in a box with the objects they need.
    I'm a box builder, because fancy houses I find don't support big families quite well without sacrificing the intended design of the exterior to add more rooms.
  • Options
    ddd994ddd994 Posts: 418 Member
    Function: My lots are optimized for gameplay. I don't go overboard when decorating and use cheats with caution.
    Function 100%, but also style?? I like to build more than I play with actual sims, but I always build with functionality in mind. Does the house have a good flow to it, how quick can a sim make it to work at the furthest/highest point of the house? Is there space to vacuum on each level lol.. all priorities I build to.
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,031 Member
    I love building. I like my Sims to be able to use the house or community lot so I bear that in mind when constructing. Sometimes I forget as I get carried away but the aim is always to make something useable.
    Liking Little Bistro Kit! French cafe vibes. 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 388 Member
    edited June 2021
    I'm not sure how to vote, like a few others I feel like I need a halfway point between style and function.

I always like my lots too look nice (in my subjective opinion lol) and I use move objects to place items, but mostly for decor/landscaping, or just moving things a bit closer together to look more natural.
    On the other hand, all my lots are fully functional, I play test them and I do use a number of them in my own gameplay so they all have to work properly.

I refuse to compromise on either, which definitely gets frustrating sometimes with clipping or if sims are being annoying about routing. But I'll fix it to make it functional and stylish.
  • Options
    AmeliaToddAmeliaTodd Posts: 226 Member
    I guess I'll pick function although I'm not as spartan as the ea builds and like to achieve a certain style as well. I always build with specific sims in mind so achieving a certain look is also a must. I guess I'm just picky:

I don't like it when things are flying mid air, so i don't use MOO to level objects on wall shelves, same goes for anything that sticks out weirdly when I lower the walls in live mode. I also don't like when certain roof configurations make walls disappear in places they should stay up, so I I go extra mile to stop it from happening and basically don't like it when roofs don't look seamless or stick out strangely.

I always aim to decorate in such way that I can see across the build what the sims are doing without the need to constantly rotate the lot while playing. Also the build needs to look good on the world map, so even if I like the design of a house on its lot if it doesn't look like it belong on the map or some things like vegetation look off to me, I will scrap it. I make sure that sims can reach the interactive objects I want them to use without any issue, on the other hand I sometimes do block access to interactive objects if I just want them to be there for decor and not for use and I do use objects for purposes they were not made for to create other objects missing in the game or in other creative ways.
  • Options
    shailaputriishailaputrii Posts: 64 Member
    Style: I decorate excessively, but my objects are (mostly) usuable. I tolerate some glitching/view blocking.
    style with a bit of extreme
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    Every lot I build is for the purpose of sims actually using it, not standing around confused. I do like MOO and use it regularly enough to add a "lived in" feeling to the house or whatever, but I never go nuts with it. Its part of the reason why I rarely download from the gallery. Many players dont playtest their builds after going overboard with MOO. Im not using a house my sims cant even walk into.