Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why can't we eat the animals from the new Cottage EP?

Comments

• Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited June 2021
    Calico45 wrote: »
    At first I was thinking because most wouldn't be an ingredient namely (I'd expected some sort of cooking overhaul to accommodate meat as an ingredient), but they confirmed on Twitter that they'll have meat for sale in grocery stalls. So practically speaking there is no real excuse.

However, the Sims has always been super G with animals for food. I have played nearly every game, spin offs included, and usually chickens were not distinguished between dead or alive in the inventory systems. The closest was maybe the boar fight in Castaway and even then is was pretty... G. So when we get back to the main series, I think it is probably against the general narrative. No matter what you think of it, one of the things deemed important enough to be there at the launch of 4 was the vegetarian trait.

i just want the animal death for food like we had it in sims medieval really

go to rabbit hole come back with meat

except no rabbithole and you do archery at some nice moving bushes in the woods to gain meat object instead cause rabbit hole forests are dum

basically i just want way to get the meat without having to buy the meat

and they could tie hunting skill to it and maybe the sims could also use the furs

+ as for this butcher thing they could just send the animal to mysterious place

and meat gets sent back
    much like how it works when you send crystals to be refined
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    edited June 2021
    Yautjagirl wrote: »
    As a real life long time vegeterian I would not want this in a game. I love the realism and dark topics in the game, but not when it comes to animals.

And consindering that a lot of parents are not okay with their children knowing where the meat really comes from I completely understand why it is not included in the game. I am pretty sure a modder will make it happen though.

I'm actually surprised a lot of parents don't want their kids to know. I thought it was like basic everyday knowledge 😮
    I'm vegetarian and my parents never explicitly described it or anything but I always knew. And they explained why some people eat it.

But there's nowhere else for it to come from.....
    It's not like a Santa thing. You see duck meat on your plate, then you see a duck floating in your pond and it's like😳hmmmm must be rainbow unicorn meat from the planet crypton🤫

Lol 😆 I'm just surprised.

I don't think it's like that, but more that parents don't want their children to know because then their children may just refuse to eat meat. At a school I went to, one of the teachers would actually show the reality of how food was made (animals getting slaughtered) and after that some kids stopped eating meat, so their parents complained and he had to stop. Everyone knows on a basic level, but a lot of people don't know the details, and many parents don't want their children to have more than a vague idea either.

To bring it back on topic, though, I don't think that some of these animals will be realistic. I'm interested to see what kind of eggs chickens will lay (e.g., golden eggs, inspired eggs :# , etc.)
  • Options
    KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member
    edited June 2021
    haneul wrote: »
    Yautjagirl wrote: »
    As a real life long time vegeterian I would not want this in a game. I love the realism and dark topics in the game, but not when it comes to animals.

And consindering that a lot of parents are not okay with their children knowing where the meat really comes from I completely understand why it is not included in the game. I am pretty sure a modder will make it happen though.

I'm actually surprised a lot of parents don't want their kids to know. I thought it was like basic everyday knowledge 😮
    I'm vegetarian and my parents never explicitly described it or anything but I always knew. And they explained why some people eat it.

But there's nowhere else for it to come from.....
    It's not like a Santa thing. You see duck meat on your plate, then you see a duck floating in your pond and it's like😳hmmmm must be rainbow unicorn meat from the planet crypton🤫

Lol 😆 I'm just surprised.

I don't think it's like that, but more that parents don't want their children to know because then their children may just refuse to eat meat. At a school I went to, one of the teachers would actually show the reality of how food was made (animals getting slaughtered) and after that some kids stopped eating meat, so their parents complained and he had to stop. Everyone knows on a basic level, but a lot of people don't know the details, and many parents don't want their children to have more than a vague idea either.

To bring it back on topic, though, I don't think that some of these animals will be realistic. I'm interested to see what kind of eggs chickens will lay (e.g., golden eggs, inspired eggs :# , etc.)

Your points definitely resonates with me. I was raised into a meat eating family and I knew that meat was from animals, but it wasn't until I was seven, when I was taken to visit a battery farm on a school trip that I really realised what it meant. I've been veggie ever since.
  • Options
    ACruelButLovingGodACruelButLovingGod Posts: 708 Member
    The Sims isn't about killing anything

Someone's never seen my simworld >:)

(he/him)
    And remember this above all. Our Roman gods are watching. Make sure they are not ashamed!
    My NBA site, Pace and Space
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    The Sims isn't about killing anything

Someone's never seen my simworld >:)

:D Apologies...

What I mean is that generally (unless you get creative) it's the "Watcher" that can kill, not the sims themselves that have that ability. There's no pie menu option that says "kill" or "fight to the death," not even for occults.

• Options
    NightwalkerArkanisNightwalkerArkanis Posts: 272 Member
    edited June 2021
    Nevermind, already answered.

What do we want to get rid of: The holiday bug, the constant showering and the weed glitch.
  • Options
    manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,111 Member
    I am personally more than ok with not having that option in the game. It's even worrying me that from the trailer the wild foxes might kill my animal friends! :'(:D
  • Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    Simtanium wrote: »
    Listen, I'm not into this extreme veganism push and all of this eat bugs and be given meat ration cards because Bill Gates says so to save the planet; but killing my animals to eat them is NOT something I want to do or play in the Sims.

absolutely agree on this one :)
  • Options
    I am personally more than ok with not having that option in the game. It's even worrying me that from the trailer the wild foxes might kill my animal friends! :'(:D

It appears we might have to watch our chickens from the info in the following tweet but I am hoping there will be other ways to keep the foxes out the hen house :)

Q any insight into the foxes? They seem to be the same as the foxes from Cats & Dogs - have they been added into Cottage Living as a bonus? Or do they behave differently?

Reply from SimGuruRomeo

These foxes are true wild foxes. What this means is you will not be able to add them to your household like you can in Cats & Dogs. You will also not need to own pets to see them roaming around.

These foxes are vary devious, and they love to steal chickens!
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    ddd994 wrote: »
    The meat industry is horrific, I’m glad it wasnt included..

Well, really, if you think about it, all large-scale agriculture is horrible, even on the plant side (both in animal and in human cost). I wouldn't want either of those in my game. There's a big difference between a small farm and a factory farm, no matter what they're producing.
  • Options
    Clancy57677Clancy57677 Posts: 10 New Member
    > @catmando830 said:
    > Is there a trailer for whatever this new cottage thing is

yes, here is a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rSNOU_T7mg
  • Options
    Clancy57677Clancy57677 Posts: 10 New Member
    > @catmando830 said:
    > Any word on how much it will be

yes, it's an expantion pack so $40
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I wasn’t expecting the ability to harvest their meat. (When I sell my chicken in Stardew Valley, it gets sold back to Marnie, who sells it to another beautiful farm. Right?)

I love that they didn’t just make it possible to get milk, wool and eggs, though. They also made it look fun to get flavored milk and custom dyed wool. I think that’s a more interesting reason to raise them.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    I think it's pretty obvious. The intended audience for this game includes kids....and kids would not be on board with killing animals to eat

Not so sure about that since I don't think kids will be on the internet complaining about that that and since we have packs related to laundry and dream home decorating which I'm sure isn't the first thing kids would want. :p I kinda just blame majority of thing son the community and them for listening a bit too much to the fan base.

Killing sims is still good though as it's just a favorite past time. :)
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Chazzzy wrote: »

Yes! Just like how we can make a phone call and sell our pets, we should be able to make a phone call and “sell” these animals then we’d either get actual money, end up with meat in our inventories after the deal or both! It could totally work. No blood and guts involved.

I'm sure there will be a modder that pokes around to make it like that.

Though, I don't know how how dairy farms work though I feel like they don' t sell them off to be burger meat. :D

I would still be okay with selling farm animals. Can't say I thought about farming things like meat and the like with this pack. Can't say I've played any farming game where you farm the meat from animals (or at least the more popular ones like Harvest Moon/Story of Seasons, Stardew valley, etc). Mostly just selling the animals back for a higher price depending on the quality of them.

Pretty sure being able to buy things like meat from the market and order it was just way to please most because this game definitely has meat based dishes.

Seems chickens and rabbits might be prone to fox attacks and being taken away. That in itself don't even bother me, but I'm sure someone will make a big stink about it though I'm sure there will be a few means of protecting them from the fox.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    BloosmooBloosmoo Posts: 754 Member
    Why kill animals when you have a meat wall?
  • Options
    PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    Well you do not have to slaughter the animals it is up to each player. Another thing will the fox hunt and kill the chickens?! If so how soon do you think it will be nerfed?!
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,889 Member
    Has anyone heard of Minecraft? Kids play Minecraft. I think it's rated E for Everyone. In Minecraft you kill animals for meat by running after them and physically hitting them repeatedly with an axe or other weapon.

• Options
    Has anyone heard of Minecraft? Kids play Minecraft. I think it's rated E for Everyone. In Minecraft you kill animals for meat by running after them and physically hitting them repeatedly with an axe or other weapon.

Yup~ Played it myself for a long time too. Odd standards from different companies. And as per usual it always comes down to the players choice.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    Peral wrote: »
    Well you do not have to slaughter the animals it is up to each player. Another thing will the fox hunt and kill the chickens?! If so how soon do you think it will be nerfed?!

If the foxes can take your chickens, then people are gonna ask for nerfs immediately... Can't have foxes actually taking your animals in your Disney Simulator.
  • Options
    WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    These animals are more like pets. Rabbits and chickens even wear clothes. I'm not vegetarian, but my sims aren't going to eat their pets.
  • Options
    SlayeurTownSlayeurTown Posts: 211 Member
    edited June 2021
    Mostly slaughtering the animals that you're supposed to befriend and dress in cute outfits is absolutely cruel and unnecessary? I'm a vegetarian so I'm against murder and I don't play the sims to cry and feel awful. It's actually the opposite. Animals are friends, not food.

And if we could kill the animals in the game, we should be able to have sims murder other sims too because that's literally the same thing. Sims can't murder each other so we won't kill the animals either.
  • Options
    PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    Mostly slaughtering the animals that you're supposed to befriend and dress in cute outfits is absolutely cruel and unnecessary? I'm a vegetarian so I'm against murder and I don't play the sims to cry and feel awful. It's actually the opposite. Animals are friends, not food.

And if we could kill the animals in the game, we should be able to have sims murder other sims too because that's literally the same thing. Sims can't murder each other so we won't kill the animals either.

If you are up to it Sims can be killed quit easily in this game, there are lot of game players who made long videos with nothing but the intention of killing as many Sims as possible.

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    Because they are MILK cows. You don't eat your Milk cow. You raise cattle for that. ;)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Peral wrote: »

I personally don't want to kill animals in any way that's too real for my game but if they added it in I would find a way around it so other players could have that feature in their games if they wanted it. I am aware of the fox situation and if I am not keen on that I am sure there will be a cheat or a mod so I am not too worried as I know I will find a way around that too. I am also sick of the nerf culture as stuff has gone from my own game that I would prefer to keep so I would never try and stop any feature from a game others might enjoy even if I do not..