Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Home Decorator Negativity thread

Comments

• Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Dakota88 wrote: »
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »
    Pretty sneaky of EA to hide the decor preference in the pack rather than including it in the update with the other ones. Because EA knows how much players love to add decor to their builds, they decided to charge us for it. I'll wait for a modder to unlock that before I ever buy this pack for one preference. The modular shelving units are not new to me. I have several different CC styles now that I use. Same for the sectional sofa, countertop stove, and I can place other objects beneath the bunkbeds. And as usual, our Sims are just standing around or are out of sight during the renovating. I did enjoy the reveal of the renovation. That was cute. But not so cute I will rush out and pay twenty bucks to replace CC items I have been using for months. Everything I have an interest in is going to be in the update. But updating will have to wait for a bit until mods are updated or a S4Studio batch fix might be needed for some of my CC. If there is one thing I know for a fact, it's the fact every update will break something in my game. :/

I fear this will wreck lots of CC and S4Studio usually takes ages implementing batch fixes (they're probably hard to implement): kitchen counters, sofas (might have some unexpected changes, who knows), lounge chairs (the chaiselounges basically are lounge chairs), CC hair because of the new hair colours...

BTW - did you notice they reused the bunk bed crawl animation for Sims getting onto the chaiselounges? :D This looks so weird, who crawls onto their sofa like that?

Me, after a long day of yard work. 😆
  • Options
    muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    Meh. I'm not getting this one. I think the one thing that interested me was the utilikilt in CAS. The pack seems like it's just an extension of build mode, which I don't use much anyway, and I really hate mid century styles. They're flat, boring, and have no personality. Why can't devs invent their own styles? It's The Sims, we don't need every object and piece of clothing to be a replica of something in real life. How about some more imagination and creativity in the designs?

Kind of looking forward to the patch, but I was discouraged to see that the positive buffs will, once again, override any negative balance in the game. The Sim in the stream hated the music station but still danced to it? That doesn't even make sense. The autonomous behaviors and buff system still needs a serous spring cleaning. I also don't really like the idea that that Sims will just develop likes on their own if they're in a Happy mood and go do something. They're always in a happy mood, lol. I hope this doesn't effect the likes and dislikes that I give them. Why are the devs so hesitant to give us full control of Sim creation? They allowed us to be able to go into CAS to change things without cheats, which is great, but why continue to let the game autonomy change our Sims on us? Maybe for the NPCs? I dunno. I feel like it's just going to be more Sim wrangling for rotational/colony players. It's a good feature, a good addition, but it's always the implementation that goes wrong.

From what I saw and I obviously could be wrong, they don’t just change likes/dislikes. The player is being asked, if a like/dislike should be added. So gameplay only adds these, if the player agrees.

I agree with the emotions though! They need to seriously tweak them. Why do some events override all others and make a sim happy? Everything is way too OP in the happy moodlet..

Oh, if the game gives a prompt, that would be much better! I hope that's how it works.

Not to be too positive, but there was definitely a pop up asking if the sim liked video games with a yes/no option. That is definitely how it works so no worries there.

Back to negativity, they've confirmed it will be a permanent change when you renovate somewhere, I really hope we can turn that off. I swear like 90% of houses/lots I don't want to change, especially if they have weird ideas that clash with what I think the family likes.

Also does anyone else not like the style they chose for sectionals? I wish we got some nicer designs which looked more homey/comfortable. With cushions or something. Idk they both just look very plain and uncomfortable to me.

The sofas were likely poor in design on purpose.... to help sell a future pack with better designs. They're probably filler sofas for future marketing.

This was a common practice in music (before the ability to download individual songs). They would purposely place filler songs on the CD to highlight the song they wanted to promote as a best seller, and to help boost that particular song on the top 100 list. Then they'd name the CD after the song and presto.... marketing strategy as work.

The bunk beds were offered in this manner as well. We got bunkbeds in the free update that were great but..... could be better. Then in the pack they offered new ones they likely trust are an upgrade and pack seller.
  • Options
    JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    edited May 2021
    muzickmage wrote: »
    Meh. I'm not getting this one. I think the one thing that interested me was the utilikilt in CAS. The pack seems like it's just an extension of build mode, which I don't use much anyway, and I really hate mid century styles. They're flat, boring, and have no personality. Why can't devs invent their own styles? It's The Sims, we don't need every object and piece of clothing to be a replica of something in real life. How about some more imagination and creativity in the designs?

Kind of looking forward to the patch, but I was discouraged to see that the positive buffs will, once again, override any negative balance in the game. The Sim in the stream hated the music station but still danced to it? That doesn't even make sense. The autonomous behaviors and buff system still needs a serous spring cleaning. I also don't really like the idea that that Sims will just develop likes on their own if they're in a Happy mood and go do something. They're always in a happy mood, lol. I hope this doesn't effect the likes and dislikes that I give them. Why are the devs so hesitant to give us full control of Sim creation? They allowed us to be able to go into CAS to change things without cheats, which is great, but why continue to let the game autonomy change our Sims on us? Maybe for the NPCs? I dunno. I feel like it's just going to be more Sim wrangling for rotational/colony players. It's a good feature, a good addition, but it's always the implementation that goes wrong.

From what I saw and I obviously could be wrong, they don’t just change likes/dislikes. The player is being asked, if a like/dislike should be added. So gameplay only adds these, if the player agrees.

I agree with the emotions though! They need to seriously tweak them. Why do some events override all others and make a sim happy? Everything is way too OP in the happy moodlet..

Oh, if the game gives a prompt, that would be much better! I hope that's how it works.

Not to be too positive, but there was definitely a pop up asking if the sim liked video games with a yes/no option. That is definitely how it works so no worries there.

Back to negativity, they've confirmed it will be a permanent change when you renovate somewhere, I really hope we can turn that off. I swear like 90% of houses/lots I don't want to change, especially if they have weird ideas that clash with what I think the family likes.

Also does anyone else not like the style they chose for sectionals? I wish we got some nicer designs which looked more homey/comfortable. With cushions or something. Idk they both just look very plain and uncomfortable to me.

The sofas were likely poor in design on purpose.... to help sell a future pack with better designs. They're probably filler sofas for future marketing.

This was a common practice in music (before the ability to download individual songs). They would purposely place filler songs on the CD to highlight the song they wanted to promote as a best seller, and to help boost that particular song on the top 100 list. Then they'd name the CD after the song and presto.... marketing strategy as work.

The bunk beds were offered in this manner as well. We got bunkbeds in the free update that were great but..... could be better. Then in the pack they offered new ones they likely trust are an upgrade and pack seller.

Yeah, but sectionals are supposed to be a selling feature - it would make more sense if these were patched in then we got nice ones with the pack.

Also I'm pretty sure one of them looks very similar to the plain sofa from university (which I rarely use as is).

Meh idk it's weird. I'm a builder, this pack should in theory be something I like yet it's not doing it for me. Maybe it's too much buy mode and not enough build mode. The Courtyard Oasis kit excites me more. A sad state when a kit is better than a game pack for me :(.
  • Options
    muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    edited May 2021
    muzickmage wrote: »

Yeah, but sectionals are supposed to be a selling feature - it would make more sense if these were patched in then we got nice ones with the pack.

Also I'm pretty sure one of them looks very similar to the plain sofa from university (which I rarely use as is).

I agree. Like with the bunk beds, offer some fair-looking sectional sofas with the patch, then some great ones with the pack. That would have more highlighted them IMO.
  • Options
    dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    BTW - did you notice they reused the bunk bed crawl animation for Sims getting onto the chaiselounges? :D This looks so weird, who crawls onto their sofa like that?
    It looks weird but I can understand why they did it. If you put three chaiselongues next to each other there would be no way for a sim get on the one in the middle.

• Options
    AnmirlaAnmirla Posts: 3,836 Member
    edited May 2021
    Harukotyan wrote: »
    Also while I'm super excited about Likes/Dislikes coming in update I found child selection very limiting and strange:
    48862096c03d4d39e205f9f63d79630839b3b59e.jpg

Ok, kids have 4 aspirations and limited amount of skills to go with them.

Social will incorporate mischief/comedy. Fair enough I guess.

Motor will incorporate fitness, but children can't be involved in most fitness activities? So what's fitness hobby will do for them? Will this be for jungle gym?

Creativity. Piano and Violin checked. But where's painting? Most of the kids draw. We have idk how many drawing tables for kids in game, but now this can't be their hobby, seriously? Not to mention the infamous blob of clay.

And last and for developers obviously the least (unfortunately) - Mental. What's there for little geniuses? Reading books - no. Chemistry table - no. Chess - no. Mental just doesn't exist. No STEM for you sim kids. (And I'm insulted with this). Probably fishing goes here, but I always perceive it as more of a nature activity. (also no collecting).

Adult Hobbies looks a lot more fleshed out for me from the first glance.

Well, maxing out Mental unlocks fishing and video gaming, so I guess they are expecting us to choose those options.

I do agree there should have been better options beyond the adult skills that can be unlocked for them.
    They should have included more activities even if they can't build the skills. They did it with comedy and fitness, why not other activities?
    baby%20bat_zpsgzvzhrnc.gif
  • Options
    HolidayHoliday Posts: 681 Member
    It looks weird but I can understand why they did it. If you put three chaiselongues next to each other there would be no way for a sim get on the one in the middle.

True, but I would have preferred a new animation of the sim sitting on the bottom end of it and shimmying back up into position, I think that would have looked much better.
  • Options
    keFUNKNEY101keFUNKNEY101 Posts: 658 Member
    Oh man where to start?

So what gameplay is there?

-Likes and dislikes? Free. And from the livestream they didn't appear to really matter. The little girl was still playful and happily dancing to the music she didn't like. She wasn't tense until Jill awkwardly cheated the moodlets away to make it look like the emotions were working properly.
    -Bunkbeds? Already free, just reskinned.
    -Modular couches? Great, but it's a build feature that offers no actual gameplay.
    -New career? Okay, so it's the gig system used in all other freelance careers with some adjustments. It's just using new furniture in a different setting. How is it that different than Paranormal or Fashion Photographer freelance careers?
    -Kids tent? Okay... It's just an object that recycles animations from all over the place. Kids just sit there and move a toy around with one hand.

Then we've got the pathetic masculine CAS assets that look identical to everything else. Once again it looks like they just recolored existing meshes and sold them as new.

It's just a stuff pack with more build/buy. That's it.

(Also I think it's interesting how we're getting all this modular furntiure when Paralives comes up showing more furniture customization. I wonder if they're getting nervous and are trying to put effort into the game to compete.)

• Options
    telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    Harukotyan wrote: »
    Also while I'm super excited about Likes/Dislikes coming in update I found child selection very limiting and strange:
    48862096c03d4d39e205f9f63d79630839b3b59e.jpg

Ok, kids have 4 aspirations and limited amount of skills to go with them.

Social will incorporate mischief/comedy. Fair enough I guess.

Motor will incorporate fitness, but children can't be involved in most fitness activities? So what's fitness hobby will do for them? Will this be for jungle gym?

Creativity. Piano and Violin checked. But where's painting? Most of the kids draw. We have idk how many drawing tables for kids in game, but now this can't be their hobby, seriously? Not to mention the infamous blob of clay.

And last and for developers obviously the least (unfortunately) - Mental. What's there for little geniuses? Reading books - no. Chemistry table - no. Chess - no. Mental just doesn't exist. No STEM for you sim kids. (And I'm insulted with this). Probably fishing goes here, but I always perceive it as more of a nature activity. (also no collecting).

Adult Hobbies looks a lot more fleshed out for me from the first glance.

Yes, I agree this is disappointing. I hope someone can mod this.
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I didn’t watch the livestream, so can someone confirm for me if there are new skills, aspirations, or traits in the pack?

Or is it really just:
    New active career (with interactive B/B)
    New B/B (with new modular sofa mechanic)
    New CAS

Like are there any standard GP features aside from those things?

There are no new traits, skills or aspirations. I watched the majority of the stream and saw no mention of any of these.

I am really surprised there's no Interior Designer Aspiration. It seems like an especially easy aspiration to make, and seems very lazy of them not to make one.
  • Options
    NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    @bixters

Thanks for answering my questions.

Hmm this definitely settles it for me that this is very much a Game Pack Lite and not a full Game Pack in my eyes.

Welp, I’ll just hold onto my money until the new Crusader Kings DLC comes out 😂
  • Options
    orenjiAiorenjiAi Posts: 569 Member
    Here are my takeaways:
    • If you’re going down this route and capitalize on the game’s pre-existing features, please go all out. Give us an Architecture pack with business suits and handyman CAS assets, roof decors, doors and windows, new stairs, 1 active and 2 rabbit hole careers (design architect, construction worker/supervisor, and realtor). C’mon team, I’ve set the bar real low here.
    • Speaking of outfits, ... I have no words.
    • What is the “hero item” of this pack? The cool but otherwise non-interactive modular shelves? The base game bunk beds and sectional sofas? This stove? The toaster oven? Or is it this out of place play tent where my parent Sim can do the ooga booga? I just want to know. Not to judge but to understand.
    • I was prepared to accept a reskin of the base game drawing tablet and Eco Lifestyle civil designer one for drafting works—which IRL are needed before any reno work takes place. I do understand that after “negotiating with the clients” we go straight into build mode and therefore drafting isn’t necessary. But c’mon. Is something for my Sim to do when they’re not on the job too much to ask? Something purely for posing and getting a +5 Inspired moodlet?
    • Everything shown on the Dream Home Decorator Network is just rubbing what could’ve been in my face. *Sigh*

Thanks for listening reading to my rant.
  • Options
    InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    CelSims wrote: »
    Where's the occults? If you have vampires, aliens etc will you get likes vampires/dislike vampires?
    They were only using base game and the game pack, so our choices will be a lot more if we have all the packs.

I hope so. I'd love to create human sims that are simply obsessed with being around occults. <3
  • Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Apart from the bb items there is nothing that interests me with this pack. Even the bb items are very similar in style to what we already have in the game. Also I think a lot of the cas items look very similar to what we already have in the game too.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    CelSims wrote: »
    Where's the occults? If you have vampires, aliens etc will you get likes vampires/dislike vampires?
    They were only using base game and the game pack, so our choices will be a lot more if we have all the packs.

I hope so. I'd love to create human sims that are simply obsessed with being around occults. <3

• Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    netney52 wrote: »
    Apart from the bb items there is nothing that interests me with this pack. Even the bb items are very similar in style to what we already have in the game. Also I think a lot of the cas items look very similar to what we already have in the game too.

The more I think about this pack, there's nothing new except for the montage of before & after photo to show to the client the result of the renovation. Modular chair, shelf, etc...it's "pretty" but the function is just the same. For the Sims to sit & it looks great for us to see while playing. The stove, oven... yes, it offers an option on how the Sims can cook, but, let's be honest, the Sims can still cook as long as there's a stove, grill, fire pit, etc. What matters is how we want them to live & decides the lifestyle that we want to see.

Towards the end, I would suggest that this pack is actually encouraging the builder to play more on the live mode & encouraging those who focus on the gameplay to try out the build mode. What if, that is what I've been doing all this while?
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »
    Pretty sneaky of EA to hide the decor preference in the pack rather than including it in the update with the other ones. Because EA knows how much players love to add decor to their builds, they decided to charge us for it. I'll wait for a modder to unlock that before I ever buy this pack for one preference. The modular shelving units are not new to me. I have several different CC styles now that I use. Same for the sectional sofa, countertop stove, and I can place other objects beneath the bunkbeds. And as usual, our Sims are just standing around or are out of sight during the renovating. I did enjoy the reveal of the renovation. That was cute. But not so cute I will rush out and pay twenty bucks to replace CC items I have been using for months. Everything I have an interest in is going to be in the update. But updating will have to wait for a bit until mods are updated or a S4Studio batch fix might be needed for some of my CC. If there is one thing I know for a fact, it's the fact every update will break something in my game. :/

I fear this will wreck lots of CC and S4Studio usually takes ages implementing batch fixes (they're probably hard to implement): kitchen counters, sofas (might have some unexpected changes, who knows), lounge chairs (the chaiselounges basically are lounge chairs), CC hair because of the new hair colours...

Me, after a long day of yard work. 😆

haha okay sorry :D
  • Options
    ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,021 Member
    I just had a thought. With the likes/dislikes being patched in, will unplayed Sims get these or just saved/favourites.
    I’ve got a lot of unplayed Sims, so many! 😱. I’ve played my save file for a couple of years now. Each pack added seems to generate more townies.

I’d rather have a smaller pool of new Sims with the likes/dislikes. I’m concerned my computer won’t handle too much information. Can you do a mass delete?
    Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Options
    PlumbeebPlumbeeb Posts: 619 Member

My initial response to this pack was quite positive, and I still love the look of the build and buy content, but my curiosity surrounding this career has turned into disappointment.

I really hoped there would at least be a toggle to choose whether renovated projects actually save once you've completed the gig, or not save and go back to their original design once you've left the lot.

I've already renovated plenty of lots in the only save game that I have, and some I do not plan on changing. I'm well aware that we can simply avoid doing certain gigs if we want, but it's just going to restrict the very small amount of gameplay that we already have with this pack. I don't think I'll get the most out of the career, so I probably just won't bother with it at all. :disappointed:
    Sims 4 Wish List:
    • > Option to toggle on/off random townie generation.
    • > Turn vacation worlds into residential worlds.
    • > Option to purchase separate worlds or a world pack.
    • > Sleepwear kit.
    • > Atomic age kit.
  • Options
    halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    I just had a thought. With the likes/dislikes being patched in, will unplayed Sims get these or just saved/favourites.
    I’ve got a lot of unplayed Sims, so many! 😱. I’ve played my save file for a couple of years now. Each pack added seems to generate more townies.

I’d rather have a smaller pool of new Sims with the likes/dislikes. I’m concerned my computer won’t handle too much information. Can you do a mass delete?

I'm assuming it'd be like traits, just randomly generated for NPC's. As for existing saves, maybe it'll be like lifestyles and sentiments? where sims will gain them by doing a related activity i.e listing to music, playing instruments, jogging, reading etc. And gaining a "dislike" would depend on how often they "fail" an interaction or get a negative buff?
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,552 Member

The only thing with that... as soon as I saw that pop up I thought - I hope it doesn't do that frequently so that we are always having to click yes or no throughout our sims days.
  • Options
    AngeliqueAdelaideAngeliqueAdelaide Posts: 1,033 Member
    Everything good comes with patch, so personally I see no need to bother with the pack, the main attraction of which I will never use.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited May 2021
    Saw this on twitter and.. yikes. That's literally the same hair just with the bangs moved to the side.

(had to change to a different tweet as the original had a naughty word. woopsie!)
    Post edited by Onverser on
  • Options
    AmeliaToddAmeliaTodd Posts: 226 Member
    edited May 2021
    Why can't devs invent their own styles?

For the most part of the early sims 4 bb and cas it is their invented style. I'm so glad they are over it, I was not a fan. It's still their own style even now since they can't exactly copy designs due to copyrights, it's just more coherent and directed by rl influences (instead of here is generic chair, here is what we think a table looks, here is what we think a bed looks that they had going on previously) and finally some stylistic sense. They do need to introduce more variety I agree. For this pack they said during stream that they picked this particular style exactly because it's on more plain side and so you can add your own accent pieces and add your own personality since the pack is around your decorating vision and not theirs. It was a safe choice I think.

Overall I like the pack, BUT:

I wish they had added at least one toddler bed and at least one new bassinet. Toddler's furniture is severely neglected right now and has been for too long (aside from modern variety that is very limited and from personal taste pretty ugly for the most part, what I'm suppose to put in my gothic or baroque mansion? nothing fits the style.) I just hope that it means that some sort of generation pack is coming or a kit that will balance it out.

The other thing that I didn't liked much in the pack were the animations. What happened to people who animated toddlers and pets?

(oh and males got the short end of the stick again, but that has become expected)

• Options
    sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    I hate that there is no challenge in using likes and dislikes. You can have a sim that likes 20 things and dislikes nothing. You can edit the likes and dislikes SO easily that they added a goddman button to go straight to CAS 🐸🐸🐸🐸? Whats the point of having mirrors or wardrobes?????