Its time for the final screenshot thread! Show us what ya got here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The problem with 'Laundry Lists' bug reports.

ReclusiveEagleReclusiveEagle Posts: 86 Member
edited April 2021 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
So if you haven't seen the new "Top community concerns" bug report that was released yesterday here is a summery:
  • [DU] Social Panel always saves organisation tab
  • [SE] Extreme Sports: High intensity slope not registering
  • Gallery showing wrong packs used
  • [CL] When Using ‘Get Leftovers’ Vegetarian Sims Get Meat Items
  • [V] Sims don’t drink fish/frog pack plasma autonomously
  • Unable to complete ‘grand meal’ event after eating fish dinner
  • [DU] Mental Magister trait has no icon/should be hidden
  • [ECO] Maker Mentor moodlet icon is missing
  • [ECO] [GT] [DU] Traits not in Club menu
  • Show in the Rain No Longer Works
  • [PSP] [BDK] No dust in my haunted houses

The fact that they have been working for the past month to fix and categories what effectively amounts to as 3 Missing Icons, 2 Broken interactions with Vampires and a Gallery display bug is shocking. And remember. Maxis chooses its top priorities. Maxis chose 2 missing icons as one of the "Top community concerns" and it still takes them over a month to fix it really should tell you the state of Maxis as a whole. TS4 is not getting any better and the things that are legitimately broken (Pets, The entire Dine out pack, infinitely looping social interactions when Free will is disabled ect) are being ignored to fix icons.

The problem with Laundry lists is not only did no one ask Maxis to tell us which bugs they have acknowledged as being issues. Its the fact that the bugs they do acknowledge are the ones that take the smallest amount of time to fix yet we still have to wait over a month just to get Icons to display correctly and none of the actually real problems ever get solved. PSA to the Sims Team. The "Most up voted" or "Most reported" bugs aren't always the ones of biggest concern nor should they always be a priority.

Like if 2 broken Icons are more of a priority to fix than major issues because the forums said they were, really you need to take a hard, hard look at your team and figure out w. t. f you are doing and why even when you do choose to fix the simplest things (You just have to fix a broken texture link in code to fix an icon. Should take 5 minutes at most), it takes you over a month.
Eagle.
Post edited by EA_Lanna on

Comments

• Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    What they're telling us is that they are working on the big bugs but it will take much more time to solve them, months or even years...

What i acknowledge with this is that we'll never have a game with relativelly few bugs because while they'll be able to fix some of the gamebreaking bugs, other gamebreaking bugs will be added through new packs...

If they were quicker in solving those big issues, then i wouldn't be worried with the new ones about to come. But they will just pile up until it'll be impossible to play, i'm afraid...
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,525 Member
    Try posting in the feedback section. If you want them to change the way they do things, you should be giving them direct feedback over there.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    texxx78 wrote: »
    What they're telling us is that they are working on the big bugs but it will take much more time to solve them, months or even years...

What i acknowledge with this is that we'll never have a game with relativelly few bugs because while they'll be able to fix some of the gamebreaking bugs, other gamebreaking bugs will be added through new packs...

If they were quicker in solving those big issues, then i wouldn't be worried with the new ones about to come. But they will just pile up until it'll be impossible to play, i'm afraid...

Its almost worse than TS3 at this point. When World Adventures released (1st pack) it came with excavation sites. After Late Night (3rd pack) released there was a bug where Sims could not excavate and would stand there saying they can't reach the site. When Sims 3 Pets (Pack 5) came that patch fixed them but the patch after immediately broke them again. Excavation sites remained broken for 3 more years up until after Into the Future and Patch 1.67.. The final game patch for discs (1.69 is a small origin fix and to allow disabling packs).

But do you know what Patch 1.67 broke? Ordering Omni seeds. The only way to get them now is to order and right before your Sim gets to the mailbox, cancel it and it goes through. Otherwise they will say they can't.

But moral of the story at least in TS3 they attempted to fix bugs multiple times (Even if they broke other things and it was 2-3 years in between fixes for that specific thing). In TS4 they ignore almost all non-game breaking issues. And by game breaking I mean crashing.
    Eagle.
  • Options
    AntwerpoAntwerpo Posts: 90 Member
    But how buggy is this game? I had a few crashes on PS4 but haven't really noticed this game being very buggy. I bought Dine Out yesterday, expecting a bugfest but did not notice any bugs in my short restaurant gameplay. You could call me new to game so not sure what people mean with buggy game. Compared to Cyberpunk this is a treat :) Do you have to be really invested in the game to start noticing the bugs?
  • Options
    Antwerpo wrote: »
    But how buggy is this game? I had a few crashes on PS4 but haven't really noticed this game being very buggy. I bought Dine Out yesterday, expecting a bugfest but did not notice any bugs in my short restaurant gameplay. You could call me new to game so not sure what people mean with buggy game. Compared to Cyberpunk this is a treat :)Do you have to be really invested in the game to start noticing the bugs?

You need to be invested in a specific gameplay to notice, i think... for instance, people has been ranting about the gardening issues since eco lifestyle came out, but i have only noticed it when i decided to have a farmer sim this year...
  • Options
    But how buggy is this game? I had a few crashes on PS4 but haven't really noticed this game being very buggy. I bought Dine Out yesterday, expecting a bugfest but did not notice any bugs in my short restaurant gameplay. You could call me new to game so not sure what people mean with buggy game. Compared to Cyberpunk this is a treat :) Do you have to be really invested in the game to start noticing the bugs?

When Dine out first came out customers would sit, eat no problem. Now they take 2 hours to sit, clean up your plates ect ect. Also if you own a restaurant that never worked properly. Guests wouldn't sit down. Take for ever to order. Start blocking waiters, cooks don't cook ect ect. Too many to list. And that's only if you have Dine Out only. For the longest time Vampires would be stuck attacking your Sims at a restaurant
    Eagle.
  • Options
    texxx78 wrote: »
    But how buggy is this game? I had a few crashes on PS4 but haven't really noticed this game being very buggy. I bought Dine Out yesterday, expecting a bugfest but did not notice any bugs in my short restaurant gameplay. You could call me new to game so not sure what people mean with buggy game. Compared to Cyberpunk this is a treat :)Do you have to be really invested in the game to start noticing the bugs?

You need to be invested in a specific gameplay to notice, i think... for instance, people has been ranting about the gardening issues since eco lifestyle came out, but i have only noticed it when i decided to have a farmer sim this year...

Yeah its like this with most things. On the surface people don't notice if they barely use the feature but if you know how it should be or how it was when it came out/intended to be, bugs are glaringly obvious. Like when they fixed toddlers in a patch I was like "Toddlers were bugged and I missed it?"
    Eagle.
  • Options
    LazzialLazzial Posts: 159 Member
    edited April 2021
    EA needs to bite the bullet and hire some super talented programmers to fix this game. I just started playing at 10:45 this morning and in 10 minutes I saw:

Loading screen music still playing in live mode.

Simulation lag

Conversation box at top of screen show the incorrect mood for targeted sim

Action icon stuck showing a generic white icon

and my personal pet peeve - sim repeatedly cooking and not eating.

10 minutes - 5 bugs identified.

If EA is serious about keeping this game running for years to come they need to stop with all the kit nonsense for the time being and focus on fixing their game. The only things kits are doing right now is just adding more bugs.

And I apologize if I sound curt. I'm still waiting for my coffee. :)
    Post edited by Lazzial on
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,753 Member
    edited April 2021
    They are either not prioritizing bugs that are top reported on Answer HQ, or they are understaffed, because some of the top reported bugs should have been fixed months ago or they should have been picked up by QA so they never happened in the first place.

I think they should expand the laundry list with more information about the bugs that they are working on that might not be fixed this month and prioritize the top reported bugs on Answer HQ.

As for the understaffed part...I dunno, work on your charisma skill and try to convince the people in charge that you need more people to help you with bug fixing and quality control. You should probably also look at the routines you have in place at your company.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    They’ve been investigating the bigger bugs for years now; if they are still in the investigation stage they clearly aren’t making any progress.

Laundry lists exist to make people forget that *zero* progress has been made on the bugs the community has actually made top concerns. If the devs put as much effort into fixing bugs as they did useless marketing lists (which these ARE just marketing) they might make some progress, but in most cases they already got the $ for the broken content they just want to make more broken content for people to buy.
  • Options
    NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    I saw someone say in the other Laundry List thread that there are ~809 reported bugs and the latest list included 11 fixes. At this rate of fixing, I now understand why this game will go on for many, many years.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    logion wrote: »
    They are either not prioritizing bugs that are top reported on Answer HQ, or they are understaffed, because some of the top reported bugs should have been fixed months ago or they should have been picked up by QA so they never happened in the first place.

I think they should expand the laundry list with more information about the bugs that they are working on that might not be fixed this month and prioritize the top reported bugs on Answer HQ.

As for the understaffed part...I dunno, work on your charisma skill and try to convince the people in charge that you need more people to help you with bug fixing and quality control. You should probably also look at the routines you have in place at your company.

We know Maxis is understaffed, the question is why??? The only other game that EA has that brings in more money than Sims is FIFA.
    I mean I know they don't give a s*ht about Maxis, that was evident when throughout the entire TS3 life cycle Maxis name was removed from all Credits, box art, opening video and all websites ...until Sims 3 University... The 9th expansion pack... in the final year of TS3.

Like if Sim City flopped, sell Maxis to Microsoft or give them their independence. Not down size them to the point of where its crippling the entire franchise. Like Rockstar games spent $265 Million to make GTA V. It made 1 billion back in 3 days.

EA sure as hell did not invest even 20% of that into TS4 and TS4 has made over $1.2 Billion.. in digital only sales... Only counting Origin... Why.Are.They.Understaffed????
    Eagle.
  • Options

We know Maxis is understaffed, the question is why??? The only other game that EA has that brings in more money than Sims is FIFA.
    I mean I know they don't give a s*ht about Maxis, that was evident when throughout the entire TS3 life cycle Maxis name was removed from all Credits, box art, opening video and all websites ...until Sims 3 University... The 9th expansion pack... in the final year of TS3.

Like if Sim City flopped, sell Maxis to Microsoft or give them their independence. Not down size them to the point of where its crippling the entire franchise. Like Rockstar games spent $265 Million to make GTA V. It made 1 billion back in 3 days.

EA sure as ❤️❤️❤️❤️ did not invest even 20% of that into TS4 and TS4 has made over $1.2 Billion.. in digital only sales... Only counting Origin... Why.Are.They.Understaffed????

I don't know, but it sure is frustrating. EA probably doesn't want to give them more resources when it comes to bug fixing and quality control. I wish more people could help Maxis with it, they did assign multiple studios to help DICE finish Battlefield 6 I think they should assign a studio to help Maxis right now.

The weird thing is that Maxis have opened other studios like in Austin, Texas for example but they don't work on the sims4 I think? So I have no idea what they are doing and why the sims4 team seems understaffed. They have also hired new people but I don't think they work on bug fixing so...things are going very slow over there...not great when we have so many bugs.

My suggestion to Maxis, should they ever read this, is assign a team to work on bug fixing, put them in another EA office if you have to. I feel that's what we really need right now. Maybe you could convince EA if you promise them that the team will work on something that gives them a lot of money...like mobile games or something.

• Options

EA sure as ❤️❤️❤️❤️ did not invest even 20% of that into TS4 and TS4 has made over $1.2 Billion.. in digital only sales... Only counting Origin... Why.Are.They.Understaffed????

I don't know, but it sure is frustrating. EA probably doesn't want to give them more resources when it comes to bug fixing and quality control. I wish more people could help Maxis with it, they did assign multiple studios to help DICE finish Battlefield 6 I think they should assign a studio to help Maxis right now.

The weird thing is that Maxis have opened other studios like in Austin, Texas for example but they don't work on the sims4 I think? So I have no idea what they are doing and why the sims4 team seems understaffed. They have also hired new people but I don't think they work on bug fixing so...things are going very slow over there...not great when we have so many bugs.

My suggestion to Maxis, should they ever read this, is assign a team to work on bug fixing, put them in another EA office if you have to. I feel that's what we really need right now. Maybe you could convince EA if you promise them that the team will work on something that gives them a lot of money...like mobile games or something.

Most people have been pulled away to work on a "New exciting project" (Sims 5). Even Lyndsay Pearson has been reassigned to it.
    Those remaining are like GTA Online now. Just enough to produce new content but not enough to do much else
    Eagle.
  • Options
    bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,395 Member
    My major pet peeve is when Maxis does all these "bug fixes" why is it not ever anything I have a problem with, like the continuing jump bug that has been present since day 1 of release way back in 2014, hm? I continually read on patch notes that this reported bug had been fixed, that one, that other one and none of them have addressed the problems I'm having, which are major bugs that everyone has had problems with. Take for instance the gardening bug, one that has been around since the patch before EL, it just keeps causing havoc in my sims' gardens but no mention of it being a problem. :s
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 36,270 Member
    edited April 2021
    Most people have been pulled away to work on a "New exciting project" (Sims 5). Even Lyndsay Pearson has been reassigned to it.

I hadn't heard Lyndsay had been reassigned. Is there a new Executive Producer/General Mgr for Sims 4? I couldn't find any info.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Lazzial wrote: »
    EA needs to bite the bullet and hire some super talented programmers to fix this game. I just started playing at 10:45 this morning and in 10 minutes I saw:

Loading screen music still playing in live mode.

Simulation lag

Conversation box at top of screen show the incorrect mood for targeted sim

Action icon stuck showing a generic white icon

and my personal pet peeve - sim repeatedly cooking and not eating.

10 minutes - 5 bugs identified.

If EA is serious about keeping this game running for years to come they need to stop with all the kit nonsense for the time being and focus on fixing their game. The only things kits are doing right now is just adding more bugs.

And I apologize if I sound curt. I'm still waiting for my coffee. :)

I get all these as well sometimes.
  • Options
    ravynwolvfravynwolvf Posts: 1,073 Member
    I see bugs all the time. And I'd see even more if I wasn't decent at modding and tweaking autonomy on and off in spots. Like visiting sims cooking all the time over and over. That was a battle, but I finally solved it by adding an "On home lot" to autonomous cooking. Still no idea why they were doing it, though. It would be nice to go two days without exiting the game to try and mod a fix for something.
  • Options
    TheGreatGorlonTheGreatGorlon Posts: 382 Member
    So I think you're not understanding what this laundry list is. This is a list of top reported bugs that they intend to fix by the next patch. This does not mean that these are the top reported bugs ever, or the highest priority bugs they are working on, these are the bugs that they can feasibly correct in a short amount of time that people have been talking about. Larger bugs that are more ingrained in the spaghetti code are not things they can just tinker with in a week or two and fix - they likely require a lot more in-depth programming in order to correct them, especially if they're old bugs that have continued to become entangled with new content.

So I do think you need to dial it back a bit. They have never stated these bugs are the only bugs they're working on or their highest priority. They're just the small goals they can accomplish.
  • Options
    I think everyone here got that.
    Last month and this month's laundry list is very disapointing just because they're two more months to add to all other months that we've been waiting for the fixing of those bigger bugs. The latest content they released (BtD) needs tuning badly (specially concerning autonomy) and there's no sign of them doing anything more besides what they did last month. The gardening bug ruins all the fun with gardening, and is around since Eco Lifestyle... just to name a couple.
    The laundry list is so small compared to what needs to be done. They should be hiring more people or whatever to catch this derailed train...
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I have a new bug in my game which jams the action if a sim is walking the dog.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    So I think you're not understanding what this laundry list is. This is a list of top reported bugs that they intend to fix by the next patch. This does not mean that these are the top reported bugs ever, or the highest priority bugs they are working on, these are the bugs that they can feasibly correct in a short amount of time that people have been talking about. Larger bugs that are more ingrained in the spaghetti code are not things they can just tinker with in a week or two and fix - they likely require a lot more in-depth programming in order to correct them, especially if they're old bugs that have continued to become entangled with new content.

So I do think you need to dial it back a bit. They have never stated these bugs are the only bugs they're working on or their highest priority. They're just the small goals they can accomplish.

And while we wait, my sims can't even climb stairs. Or eat any leftovers on their own.

But hey, we got two icons fixed this month. That's...something....yeah. That really affects people playing the game...
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    You know what, sure maybe they can't fix the simulation bug or the fps bug or the musical chairs bug but can they at least acknowledge their existence and tell us what the issue is?
    It was a good thing that one of the Gurus spoke about the simulation lag but many really really major bugs are not being mentioned.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I saw someone say in the other Laundry List thread that there are ~809 reported bugs and the latest list included 11 fixes. At this rate of fixing, I now understand why this game will go on for many, many years.

LOL. :lol:
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited April 2021
    yes the laundry list is ridiculous lol they rather say they're working on fixing all the bugs that have been polluting the game ever since the first pack, at least it would secure people that they're aware of those issues and are not neglecting the game. ea should indeed hire more people if they had the minimal decency, and also stop stressing devs so much over packs. the whole team gotta work on three packs and now kits, there's barely any space to fix any bug, it's no wonder the game is in such state.