Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can we once and for all retire the "I want my teen Sims to look 12 years old" thing?

BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
edited April 2021 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
If you look like what teens actually look like IRL, the Sims 4 teens are far more realistic than earlier versions. The "always a head shorter until they are 21 years and one 1 day old" is such a tired trope.

Most 15 or 16 year old boys IRL are as tall as their fathers. Same in Sims 4. Oh and if you ACTUALLY pay attention you can easily spot teens from adults in t he Sims. Their body shape is different, their faces look younger... it's just that they are the same height, which again, is how it actually is IRL.

I personally find it so weird that Sims players (and in other media as well) consider 11 - 13 "teens" and everything above that as non-existent until they are 21. Because that's what we are talking about here. The height difference and look people WANT in Sims 4 is of 11-13 year olds IRL. But teens IRL spend most of their teens being as tall as an adult (15-19).
Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
Post edited by EA_Leeloo on

Comments

• Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited April 2021
    You don't grow a lot after 16 years old but until then teens are usually shorter irl, depends on genetics too, so this "realistic" is quite subjective. Either way in a video game teens being shorter makes sense for the players, it's easier to visually distinguish from older lifestages and better gives a sense of growing while playing through generations. I don't know where you got that, but in TS4 I can only tell teens and YA apart by looking at the UI while hovering the mouse over them, just "paying attention" doesn't cut it. The current visual differences are too subtle, sometimes they even look like elders at first glance depending on what they wear or what hair color the game spawned them with.

All in all they are the same height as adults and young adults and elders because TS4 was meant to be MMO which probably wasn't even suppose to have lifestages at all. After restructuring Maxis had to cut corners where they could and rush an unfinished product to meet deadlines. Making teens a different height meant putting extra work, time and dime on the clothing assets and animations. It's not because they wanted to make them "realistic".
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    Yeah, honestly, I agree with you. I'd find it a bit odd if teens were much shorter than adults. I think of my teen sims as being 16-17 and most kids that age are not shorter than me. I think the real solution here would be to give sims aged teen or older different height options to choose from, but I doubt that will happen in TS4's time.
  • Options
    AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited April 2021
    The game is more silly than realistic, so I don't need an accurate representation of teenagers. I find the game age teen and child less interesting than the other ages, and slightly more annoying; and every time I visually mistake a teen for a YA sim I get reminded of the main consumer group for this game, which puts me off. For me they could have been excluded from gameplay, but maybe I just have that imfamous trait Hates Children..
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    Sims2 teens felt more like 13-14 to me, while Sims4 teens seem 16-17. I don't really care either way, as in both games they keep the same look from 13-20 so realism doesn't factor.

But I do wish there was a slight difference in size so it would be easier to tell them from YA. I appreciate being able to hove the cursor over townies and get that info out in the world, but sometimes when I'm manually culling townies it would be nice to be able to tell which ones are teens from the manage households screen.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    I understand your argument but I think height would be a good way to make them look more different compared to young adults... I think all that the game does is changing their body shape a bit as you mentioned? Those are details that are pretty difficult to spot.

I never wanted the teens in my game to look like 12 year olds... I just wanted them to look a bit different.
  • Options
    BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member
    Dress my teens in children's clothes, make youthful faces. Only do it because they act very childish in The Sims 4, don't consider that older teen. My other reason is that, averagely play the old sim E.G. mother, father, cousin. It's not fun to play teens, so I don't like to put them in that main group. I'm content doing this. Not a fan of the other push for pre teen life stage... Will feel like pre teens, and big pre teens. Would deter me from family game play. Open to hear other opinions in the reply.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited April 2021
    idk i mean it isnt as big of a thing to me as some players cause like teenagers... honestly don't interest me that much
    i have enough irl traumas of that lifestage

but also i feel teens should look more different from young adults and even more act different from young adults

just because well sims is a game and aging up can be viewed sort of like leveling up

and if your sim doesn't change enough between different "levels" what is point of the "levels"

i have same issue with
    ya -> adult -> elder stages
    because i see no real difference between the stages i hardly end up aging my sims past young adult

like if changing my sims lifestage makes zero difference in their life why would i do that

game should encourage player to explore the new lifestage not just say "have wrinkles i guess" or " i guess your face looks bit less like sloth now congratulations"

and for some people i think the height would just feel like something that separates the lifestage so it doesnt feel complete copy of young adult stage so it would actually feel like something changes between stages though its only visual

in short:
    teenagers in particular? don't care
    lifestages having differences? i wish.
    preteens? absolutely no thanks. I don't need another useless stage
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    I agree, I'm short IRL so there is maybe an inch difference to my height as a teen. I was hoping for a miraculous growth spurt once I reached adulthood but it never happened. :D I was short as a teen and I'm still short as an adult. I'm barely 5'1, so I never understood the height thing either,almost everyone's taller than me! And of course some teens are really tall. My brother was about 5'10 as a teen. My niece (his daughter) was about 5 inches taller than me when she was in her early teens. Because of my height, I was mistaken for a teen until I was in my mid 20s and still got called "kiddo" by people my age in my 30s. So yeah, so the "teens should be short" thing never really made a whole lot of sense to me but everyone's different I suppose.
  • Options
    BettyNewbie1BettyNewbie1 Posts: 336 Member
    Simmingal wrote: »
    idk i mean it isnt as big of a thing to me as some players cause like teenagers... honestly don't interest me that much

but also i feel teens should look more different from young adults and even more act different from young adults

just because well sims is a game and aging up can be viewed sort of like leveling up

and if your sim doesn't change enough between different "levels" what is point of the "levels"

i have same issue with
    because i see no real difference between the stages i hardly end up aging my sims past young adult

like if changing my sims lifestage makes zero difference in their life why would i do that

game should encourage player to explore the new lifestage not just say "have wrinkles i guess" or " i guess your face looks bit less like sloth now congratulations"

and for some people i think the height would just feel like something that separates the lifestage so it doesnt feel complete copy of young adult stage so it would actually feel like something changes between stages though its only visual

in short:

I.D.K. About no difference with elders, I am unable to play with them for fear of death. It was a poor choice in my mind, It is so sad to watch an elder in their last days, even if they are dolls virtual... :(
  • Options
    Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    Speak for yourself. My born in game sims always look older and much fatter than their parents. I would like them to actually look younger for once.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    I personally like the older teens and I really like being able to utilize the full selection of CAS for them. If they were shorter they would need their own separate selection of outfits and that would be limiting.

I do get, however, the desire for more visual differences from young adults, so I'd like to see maybe a slouchy default posture that makes them look shorter and a little rebellious. Maybe also some new walk styles and new standing stance and idle animations that feel more immature, impatient and youthful. I feel like little changes like that could go a long way and also wouldn't be as time consuming or demanding for the long term regarding development efforts.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    I personally like the older teens and I really like being able to utilize the full selection of CAS for them. If they were shorter they would need their own separate selection of outfits and that would be limiting.

I do get, however, the desire for more visual differences from young adults, so I'd like to see maybe a slouchy default posture that makes them look shorter and a little rebellious. Maybe also some new walk styles and new standing stance and idle animations that feel more immature, impatient and youthful. I feel like little changes like that could go a long way and also wouldn't be as time consuming or demanding for the long term regarding development efforts.

I agree
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I would like shorter teens. I get that teens in the higher numbers are often as tall as adults in real life but that doesn't mean that I want them to be that way in the game. I would like them to be shorter so they can be easier distinguished in the game and I would like them to have more unique game play. Right now they are just skinny young adults that go to school. Those are the only things that make them different from the young adult life stage and it's just rather boring.
  • Options
    pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    I like the teens. We just need a preteen stage.

Nuff said. 🤨
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited April 2021
    I wouldn't mind preteens. Sims Freeplay has done a really good job at simulating all their life stages and honestly have my favorite version of babies ever. There isn't too much difference from teens to young adults other than they lose a little of the baby fat, so I do agree they represent 17-19 year olds more. I mean I guess they made teens the same height for modders to use teens for different interactions and it was easier to animated given the Sims 4 was going to be a MMO game with only YA-elders anyways. Teens were just a quick shoe in like the babies.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    ForgeronForgeron Posts: 272 Member
    Thats why I want preteens. Teenagers in sims 4 are more "realistic" because they match the teen ages better, Sims 2 teens were more preteens to me... in the beginning of their hormone cycles, learning to deal with crushes, acne and stuff and I miss this in SIms 4.
  • Options
    NightwalkerArkanisNightwalkerArkanis Posts: 272 Member
    Alas, I cannot. Keep the teen, but give me my pre-teen as well. While some teens around here gets taller than their parents, it's hardly the majority of them, and certainly not at the age of 12-13. Not one of the teens I know has side jobs along with their school either. Add to that fact that our teens hardly act like teens aside from homework and some moodswings... they're just younger adults with homework and random temperament changes.

And they could add older adult lifestate while they're at it. Make it a kit if people really doesn't want it.

What do we want to get rid of: The holiday bug, the constant showering and the weed glitch.
  • Options
    Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    edited April 2021
    I personally feel like everybody has the right to wish for what ever they want in the game.

In your opinion they're not needed, nor do you want them.

Others feel like kids who look like they are 7 years old suddenly sprouting up to adult size finds it jarring, I am one of them!

Your title is no different than if you had made a thread called "Can we once and for all retire the "I want more occults thing?"

I don't understand why this bothers you because other people want it? It's not like it's going to ever happen, so you have no need to worry about it ever coming.

I seriously don't understand why some people feel like their wants/desires should be THE way things are done, you're not the only person who plays this game. I'm 100% positive there are things that you like about the game that I want changed or you want to be put into the game that I would absolutely NOT EVER want, but I'm not going to make a thread about it.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I'm a bit inbetween. I kind of like teens how they are and I'm glad they are not limited by height like older sim games. But in contrary to your experience, how old or young a teen sim looks varies greatly. I've had some look way over 18 and I'm like huh? Where's the teen?🥴 and some that look younger.(pretty realistic though)

Teens are my favorite lifestage though so one thing I have learned to master is the art of making them look various ages. I learned that you can't simply age them up and expect them to look different. They will look the same at every lifestage apart from a child of course. So I usually spend time in CAS tweaking their features to look their age according to what I want.
    Granted I do use height slider and cc so I can't comment on vanilla teens.

I understand how some people feel about the "gap" being too big from a kid to an 18 year old looking teen. And it's just more fun and realistic to have sims of all ages in my game.
    So I have successfully made teens that look more pre teenish. Then when I want them to be an older teen I tweak some things again. And once they age to a young adult they have to be tweaked again if I want them to look older. Else they still look like that same teen in my eyes😆

Of course looks and ages are all subjective and different for each individual person IRL but we're talking a game here. Anything they add to make teens more distinctive is welcome to me 😌
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,872 Member
    @Babykittyjade the teen tweaking is a good idea. I can always tell my sims but do have some difficulty with other random teen sims in my game.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    edited April 2021
    I don't really care whether current teens are meant to be 13 or 19 or somewhere in between, I cannot tell by looking that they are teens. I see no difference between them and adults and I need a visible difference because it is a game, not rl.

If they cannot adjust the current teen height, then I would still like to see pre-teens at a height between teen height and kids. This is so that my lil kids do not have a birthday and suddenly look like an adult. Remember how jarring it was when babies sprang out of their cribs and became full grown kids? It's a bit like that for me.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    edited April 2021
    Simmingal wrote: »

i have same issue with

in short:

I.D.K. About no difference with elders, I am unable to play with them for fear of death. It was a poor choice in my mind, It is so sad to watch an elder in their last days, even if they are dolls virtual... :(

idk i mean i just struggled real hard to kill glarn and kitty curious (elders) off for story reasons

while their 3 curious sons were trying to die very passionately on side instead

they had to woohoo like 20 times in row until i managed to exhaust kitty to death

and then i had to get cowplant for glarn cause he just wouldn't die despite standing outside for days in freezing,thunderstorm and heatwave having all his needs zeroed and in always wrong attire
    (i mean dude be legend but still...)

so yup...
    I would not be scared of my elders dying accidentally... p_p well other than if they run out of lifespan which well aging off would solve
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    I don't care about the height, I am short enough that all my nieces and their friends towered over me in their teens. I think for me the problem is there isn't enough teen and child specific things to make those ages interesting to play. By specific I mean restricted to those ages actually. I miss when children could play stuff like cops and robbers or tag with their friends. More afterschool activities for teens, something like prom. Just something to make those ages more fun.