Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Creepy "baby crying" sound effect on Paranormal SP could be a hint?

Did anyone notice this in some of the early access youtube videos? One of the sound effects ins a creepy baby cry. I can't avoid thinking it might be a hint.
Like, its cool and all when they hint something and the pack comes later on like 6 months or so, but I'm really tired of them hinting baby and car stuff for AGES. Its so childish to me, like they know we want that, have the power to make it happen, but NEVER add those things to the game. Like... so rude.

Comments

• Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I think it's just supposed to be scary.
  • Options
    ChatonChaton Posts: 144 Member
    I'm team "it's a hint". SimGuruConnor worked on Nifty Knitting and there was a big hint at the end of that pack's trailer (elder reminiscing about sledding, and we got Snowy Escape 4 months later). Since he also worked on the Paranormal SP, I believe there is also a hint hidden somewhere in the trailer, and I believe it's the baby's crying sound. But I admit that is pure speculation on my part, and also wishful thinking.
    In the end, whether this is a hint or not, I really think that we are going to get better babies this year. Fingers crossed !
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    I'm absolutely dreading that sound (The baby cry in this game I find really grating) and I'm on Team... pseudo hint. That is, I think the choice to include the sound was made because it's creepy, but the baby cry was chosen over some other sound because there is some sort of baby update/baby pack/family pack in the works.
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited January 2021
    to be scary there are a thousand other sounds, they just won't add the sound of a life stage that people keeps complaining about.
    i think they chose the baby sound intentionally and could be a small hint regarding babies, be it better babies or a generations kind of pack.
  • Options
    bluehydrengaebluehydrengae Posts: 29 Member
    i think babies are coming. but i hope it's an update like toddlers and not a pack because that would be terrible for the people who can't afford it
  • Options
    RySBIRySBI Posts: 329 Member
    I agree, it does sound like this is a hint. Updating the baby life state is a regular topic in the forums and people have made it clear this is an in-demand feature.
  • Options
    cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    i hope so. i want babies to be a bit more lively. they're such a cute lifestage irl with lots of toys and seeing them crawl around n such. bouncy chairs....i so want bouncy chairs.
  • Options
    ChocoSulSulChocoSulSul Posts: 182 Member
    I hope so! it would be a good time to include real babies. SimGuruConor was recently asked and he replied on Twitter ...
    @SimGuruConor
    @ xamira_99
    There are no ghost babies, but you can always make real babies with our new Sims Stuff Pack ...
  • Options
    ForgeronForgeron Posts: 272 Member
    @ChocoSulSul i hope they update the game to add ghsot babies too, with the babies update.
  • Options
    TheGreatGorlonTheGreatGorlon Posts: 382 Member
    I think it's just because ghostly baby cries are incredibly creepy. I think it's very conspiratorial to think that every little thing hints to something else. Sometimes things just are because they are, you know?
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Probably both. Babies crying rams straight into the Uncanny Valley which is why it's so scary, but it could be a sound effect from Babies being worked on.

I think when we get the Baby expanded upon, we will also get a baby/toddler/children Stuff Pack because we get so little for them.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    The baby might be updated some time in the future. My next guess for the next pack could be something like boho or country style theme. Still hoping that they could also patch in the cemetery lot! 😆
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Hm. I am not so easy to convince. Absolutely everything is a hint if your net is broad enough. I certainly would never get upset with a detail because I thought it was a hint.

Anyway, I think it was just supposed to be scary. Most people I know are terrified of paranormal children. Something about ghost babies and kids is that much more terrifying than a normal ghost for some reason.
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Calico45 wrote: »
    Hm. I am not so easy to convince. Absolutely everything is a hint if your net is broad enough. I certainly would never get upset with a detail because I thought it was a hint.

Anyway, I think it was just supposed to be scary. Most people I know are terrified of paranormal children. Something about ghost babies and kids is that much more terrifying than a normal ghost for some reason.

Humans are naturally grown to find the sound of crying uncomfortable, and the sounds of crying children most unpleasant of all. What do you think makes it possible we can tell apart the sounds of a crying adult from a crying child? They did research on it and apparently women especially - and ESPECIALLY women with children - will do almost anything to make it stop.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,131 Member
    Oh, wouldn't it be nice to FINALLY have Playable Babies.
  • Options
    ForgeronForgeron Posts: 272 Member
    @SERVERFRA AND baby/toddler ghosts <3
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Loanet wrote: »

Humans are naturally grown to find the sound of crying uncomfortable, and the sounds of crying children most unpleasant of all. What do you think makes it possible we can tell apart the sounds of a crying adult from a crying child? They did research on it and apparently women especially - and ESPECIALLY women with children - will do almost anything to make it stop.

I just noticed this so I hope it is not necro, but I am familiar with this concept. Quite frankly, I really dislike crying, too. Who doesn't? I do not equate uncomfortable to scary, though. Otherwise, why did people want a fear emotion when tense served the job?

More seriously, though, I was speaking of personal experience with people thinking ghost children being much more scary of a concept than adult ghosts. Personally, I find that odd. If the fear is of the supernatural element itself, I would not make the distinction between ages because it all reduces down to the key supernatural element. Yet, time and time again, the people I meet seem much more scared (not simply uncomfortable) with the concept of ghost children.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Loanet wrote: »

I just noticed this so I hope it is not necro, but I am familiar with this concept. Quite frankly, I really dislike crying, too. Who doesn't? I do not equate uncomfortable to scary, though. Otherwise, why did people want a fear emotion when tense served the job?

More seriously, though, I was speaking of personal experience with people thinking ghost children being much more scary of a concept than adult ghosts. Personally, I find that odd. If the fear is of the supernatural element itself, I would not make the distinction between ages because it all reduces down to the key supernatural element. Yet, time and time again, the people I meet seem much more scared (not simply uncomfortable) with the concept of ghost children.

I get really scared of young posessed children staring, like in the movies 😬
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,467 Member
    edited February 2021
    Babies and small children embody innocence because they fully depend on someone who can take care of them.
    To have the sound of an innocent crying associated with the unknown can cause a feeling of distress, especially in adults. Their protective instinct would force them to investigate where the crying is coming from to ensure the source of the sound is safe and well and take action if it’s not.

To hear the sound of a baby crying in your house, particularly when little babies and children are NOT part of your household...will provoke a shiver up your spine. Or at least it makes you wonder. If it doesn’t, you’re a badly programmed robot.

Questions like these may fill your head:

Wait! Did I just hear a baby cry?!
    Who owns this child?!
    Is it OK?!
    Why in my house?!
    Do I have a kid and I’m not aware of it?!
    Who’s the mother?!
    Do I have to look after it?!
    What does it eat?!
    If I can’t see it can it kill me?!
    What if it’s not even alive?!
    Who am I?!
    HELP?!

These are common movie tropes.The invisible innocent. The possessed innocent. The juxtaposition of the innocent and the dark (or evil) is what makes the audience feel uncomfortable.

Is it a hint at a baby update? I don’t know. As long as the babies are ok. I don’t want liberated babies to turn into the monster under the bed. I confess that it could make for some interesting gameplay.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Babies and small children embody innocence because they fully depend on someone who can take care of them.
    To have the sound of an innocent crying associated with the unknown can cause a feeling of distress, especially in adults. Their protective instinct would force them to investigate where the crying is coming from to ensure the source of the sound is safe and well and take action if it’s not.

To hear the sound of a baby crying in your house, particularly when little babies and children are NOT part of your household...will provoke a shiver up your spine. Or at least it makes you wonder. If it doesn’t, you’re a badly programmed robot.

Who owns this child?!
    Is it OK?!
    Why in my house?!
    Who’s the mother?!
    What does it eat?!
    Who am I?!
    HELP?!

These are common movie tropes.The invisible innocent. The possessed innocent. The juxtaposition of the innocent and the dark (or evil) is what makes the audience feel uncomfortable.

Is it a hint at a baby update? I don’t know. As long as the babies are ok. I don’t want liberated babies to turn into the monster under the bed. I confess that it could make for some interesting gameplay.

I'm sure someone will make a mod @CAPTAIN_NXR7
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,467 Member

Who owns this child?!
    Is it OK?!
    Why in my house?!
    Who’s the mother?!
    What does it eat?!
    Who am I?!
    HELP?!

A mod? For monster babies? Haha. 😅
    Isn’t there one for scary toddlers?
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,688 Member
    I see it the other way around; the spooky pack would miss something if there was NOT a baby crying sound. I get it often after séances and it's among my favorites just for the spookyness:)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    perhaps people is just projecting their wants for better babies, and hearing one crying on the latest pack could easily be classified as a hint, cuz devs usually do this kind of stuff to actually hint upcoming packs & patches.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member

Who owns this child?!
    Is it OK?!
    Why in my house?!
    Who’s the mother?!
    What does it eat?!
    Who am I?!
    HELP?!

A mod? For monster babies? Haha. 😅
    Isn’t there one for scary toddlers?

yes so I think if they free babies it will be a thing @CAPTAIN_NXR7
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,145 Member
    edited February 2021

Who owns this child?!
    Is it OK?!
    Why in my house?!
    Who’s the mother?!
    What does it eat?!
    Who am I?!
    HELP?!

In one of my favorite books, the author has mentioned that there was once a serial killer, who used the record of a crying baby to lure woman out of their house. He manipulate them exactly with the protective instinct, the book was about manipulation. Thinking of this, it gives me a cold shiver. Maybe the devs have read this book too, when they had discuss the sound options.