Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Legacy Players: Is it difficult to avoid incest?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited October 2020
    This is a thought that has crossed my mind with my main save. Now if I was doing a royalty type gameplay it would never be an issue as incest is as real as it gets for royals as most used to inbreed but in most other circles of society no it’s not the norm.
  • Options
    Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Alwe1507 wrote: »
    This topic has made me wonder - fellow Simmers from other Countries (I'm UK)...

Legally, how close a relation can you marry? Ours is Cousin.

I'm in the US, and that is a point of inquiry I have never perused....I would be appalled though if cousins could be married here.
  • Options
    BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    edited October 2020

I'm in the US, and that is a point of inquiry I have never perused....I would be appalled though if cousins could be married here.

I'm in the US and have seen and heard of it happening. In fact it has happened in my family. My cousin married one of our 3rd cousins and even had a child with him. It's disgusting I know but it has happens and does often happen a lot more than you think all around the world.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    edited October 2020
    BMSO wrote: »

I'm in the US and have seen and heard of it happening. In fact it has happened in my family. My cousin married one of our 3rd cousins and even had a child with him. It's disgusting I know but it has happens and does often happen a lot more than you think all around the world.

Third cousins doesn’t seem so bad as just Cousins...I don’t approve. Just third definitely has some distance in the bloodline. 😅😅 lmao this thread
    President Franklin Roosevelt’s married a third cousin or fourth, Eleanor Roosevelt. I looked it up, they are 5th cousins.
    Here’s a chart:
    Cousins-Explained.jpg
  • Options
    BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    BMSO wrote: »

Third cousins doesn’t seem so bad as just Cousins...I don’t approve. Just third definitely has some distance in the bloodline. 😅😅 lmao this thread
    President Franklin Roosevelt’s married a third cousin or fourth, Eleanor Roosevelt. I looked it up, they are 5th cousins.
    Here’s a chart:
    Cousins-Explained.jpg

Even with distance in the family it's still gross. Trust me I wasn't the only one disgusted by it even my aunt was disgusted and it was her daughter . She was picked on non stop by every family member for it.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member

Legally, cousin is the closest in Norway too. But they should of course be aware that there is a higher risk of having children with illnesses and congenital malformations, stillbirth, infant death and shortened life expectancy.

I don't find it gross or appalling. Would be if the relation was a direct line up or down.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,963 Member
    actually sometimes i add that in because 99% of my sims are awful evil people and i like making hell out of their social life

the plot is basically that i have this seemingly perfect very rich famous pretty family that has every possible type of horrible disgusting and evil character in it but they all have good reputation cause $$$

Screen_Shot_2020-07-06_at_2.29.40_PM.jpg
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    sarabeth2984sarabeth2984 Posts: 849 Member
    Alas yes, it happened to me. I had a 15 generation legacy I had going on console. It was my dfirst save ever actually. I had a cute lady (human) sim that had just aged up to YA. Her dad was a vampire and was really old, they had quite a few guests that showed up. She met a guy she liked (turns out he was a vamp too-Alex Goth actually.) They started romancing and wound up getting married and had 3 kids. One day I checked her family tree and noticed to my horror that Alex was her great grandfather on her Dad's side and great uncle on her Mom's side. That's disturbing.
    I decided to delete that save lol
  • Options
    FurAndYarnFurAndYarn Posts: 459 Member
    I think I made the situation worse with my story progression settings in MCCC... my main save is nearly 25 generations and that family tree is scary so I try to ignore it lol... but I've since discovered that it's easy enough to avoid "family issues" by bringing in new sims now and then. ;)
    Explore the story of my over 50-generation legacy family!
    z5lD0kSm.png
  • Options
    shokoroseshokorose Posts: 66 Member
    As long as you don’t go to a family reunion to meet women you should be fine.
  • Options
    SaDewnSaDewn Posts: 4 New Member
    Now, I've never posted here before, I just come here to read some things and that's it. But since it seems no one is going to address this matter and I thought someone has to...

The topic of this thread itself is fine. I understand some people might find cousin marriages something they do not want in their game. But if you would please be so considerate as to mind your words at least for a bit. Like some have already mentioned, cousin marriages are legal in some countries. Quite a few countries to be honest. And that means there is going to be people coming here, who have such family structures. As an adult, this kind of talk doesn't faze me much, even if my grandfathers were brothers. However, give some thought to the fact, that some 12-year-old might come to this page, only to find that apparently their family structure is "eww, gross, incest, disgusting" etc. So yea, maybe just tone down the words a bit.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    With the worlds being so small and townies not procreating isn‘t everyone a relative of yours 2-3 generations in?

No, if you're playing Pinstar's Legacy Challenge, there was a codicil written in whereas you can find a Sim from the Gallery. You just aren't supposed to pick them by their Traits.

If you're about playing by your own rules, then you can simply create a Sim for your heir. No incest ever in my games. That's just very high on the Ick-Factor.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,570 Member
    edited October 2020
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Well you know, it worked out for
    Queen Victoria & Prince Albert.
    They were 1st cousin the had 9 children together.

Back in the 18th century there were no such restrictions as we have now. First cousins were often united in matrimony to keep the LAND in the family. It wasn't until much later that the medical profession stumbled across the information that helped create the law in the USA, informing us that we can't marry a family member any closer than a third cousin. It's all in the genes, you see. Some maladies become prominent when the genes are too close. I. m. b. e. c. i. l. e. s come from interbreeding, among other sad things.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Wow, the comment above is so nice though. Just in case someone were to think of me as one of those "sad things", I guess I'll have to say here that there is no problems with my sanity or my health in any way. Same goes for my brother. Both of us have been luckily very healthy.
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    SaDewn wrote: »
    Now, I've never posted here before, I just come here to read some things and that's it. But since it seems no one is going to address this matter and I thought someone has to...

The topic of this thread itself is fine. I understand some people might find cousin marriages something they do not want in their game. But if you would please be so considerate as to mind your words at least for a bit. Like some have already mentioned, cousin marriages are legal in some countries. Quite a few countries to be honest. And that means there is going to be people coming here, who have such family structures. As an adult, this kind of talk doesn't faze me much, even if my grandfathers were brothers. However, give some thought to the fact, that some 12-year-old might come to this page, only to find that apparently their family structure is "eww, gross, incest, disgusting" etc. So yea, maybe just tone down the words a bit.

I literally can't agree with you more. We are so quick to jump on the gross-wagon, without thinking about the people who are "affected" so to speak. Its not gross to the people involved. Heck, I remember I wanted to marry my oldest cousin once, and he said we could do that when we were adults. I think I was like 6, though (got it in writing too, in a book where my school friends and family wrote little tidbits and greetings and maybe they added drawn pictures and such) :D A lot of stuff has happened since then. Anyway....

I don't see cousins marry as incest. It's maybe something the people involved need to think through a bit more than usual, and yes, they are pretty closely related. As you said, in many many countries those marriages are legal and as long as nobody gets hurt in any way, I believe people can do what they want. Although, there has been talked about here (Norway) to make it illegal, at least a few years ago (2014 was the last time, I think).

To me, incest doesn't involve marriage at all, and its a darker thing alltogether, between relatives that ARE clearly too closely related.
  • Options
    > @Kathykins said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > I literally can't agree with you more. We are so quick to jump on the gross-wagon, without thinking about the people who are "affected" so to speak. Its not gross to the people involved. Heck, I remember I wanted to marry my oldest cousin once, and he said we could do that when we were adults. I think I was like 6, though (got it in writing too, in a book where my school friends and family wrote little tidbits and greetings and maybe they added drawn pictures and such) :D A lot of stuff has happened since then. Anyway....
    >
    > I don't see cousins marry as incest. It's maybe something the people involved need to think through a bit more than usual, and yes, they are pretty closely related. As you said, in many many countries those marriages are legal and as long as nobody gets hurt in any way, I believe people can do what they want. Although, there has been talked about here (Norway) to make it illegal, at least a few years ago (2014 was the last time, I think).
    >
    > To me, incest doesn't involve marriage at all, and its a darker thing alltogether, between relatives that ARE clearly too closely related.

I'm glad someone answered, and not even in the "eww, you gross abomination" kind of way I was half-expecting. :D It's weird how these days people are seemingly becoming more accepting of different kinds of people, but when it comes to cousin marriage, love isn't love but actually something to spit at. Anyway, getting way off-topic here.

For the op's question: I use MCCC (among a bunch of other mods) and never had a problem finding people to marry outside family circles. I could never play vanilla, it would be way too tedious to go through the townie families to make them have offspring too.
  • Options
    Aaand for a moment there I thought I somehow blew up the quoting. But after some googling, it appears to be by design that new members can't quote the same way or even edit their text? If so, that is quite an interesting feature.
  • Options
    SwanSong93SwanSong93 Posts: 240 Member
    The family tree system really sucks in TS4! The one in TS3 is much better!