Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Snowy Escape - Cool little details ^^

Comments

• Options
    JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    edited October 2020
    Really hope we are able to swim in some of the water in the new world . I’d love to create Asian mermaids <3
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I hope they bring back the hot chocolate from Sims 3 also.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Justin wrote: »
    Really hope we are able to swim in some of the water in the new world . I’d love to create Asian mermaids <3

I mean you can do that now, but I get what you mean :)
    You mean "Mermaids living in Asia" ;)
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,385 Member

I mean you can do that now, but I get what you mean :)
    You mean "Mermaids living in Asia" ;)

The river at the bottom of the map, with the waterfall, would be a nice swimming place for sims and mermaids. Hope we get to see pictures of that area soon.
  • Options
    ladynightladynight Posts: 35 Member
    Ok just wanted to leave a comment as someone who is half-japanese. I think it’s great that this pack has japanese culture! It feels great to be represented. I do think cultural appropriation is a thing, but it is often mistaken for cultural appreciation. People of other races can wear traditional Japanese garments as long as it’s respectful and because they truly have an interest in the culture rather than using it for an “aesthetic” or costume. For example dressing up as a geisha for halloween is disrespectful!! But I think that is obvious to most people. So to all the simmers concerned about this, the fact that you are even worried about it shows you respect Japanese people and their culture. Please don’t hold back on using the pack and have fun creating Japanese sims/ sims who appreciate Japanese culture!!!
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I don't think EA is trying to appropriate anyone's cultural much less give us ways to do so. I would think adding a culture to this game would be a thrill and an honor, not an insult considering how limited their reach can be.

And if I want to dress as a zombie geisha or a zombie bull fighter or a zombie Scotsman in a kilt for Halloween, then I'll do that, not because I'm trying to insult anyone's culture, but because I'm just trying to frighten people. Get a grip people.

I'd love to know how people honor their own culture as many don't follow their own cultural traditions but complain when "outsiders" do it to honor their culture.
  • Options
    @Dannydanbo
    I agree with you that EA is not trying to appropriate other people’s culture. Of course it is not an insult- no one is saying that.
    But you don’t seem to understand what I have said. A race is not a costume. If you want to dress up as a zombie to scare people, why does it have to be a geisha? Do you see what I mean? Dressing up as a geisha for Halloween is in no way “honoring” the culture, whereas going to Japan and wearing a traditional kimono is honoring and being respectful. I feel that there is a clear difference between the two. I am in no way trying to start an argument with you, I just want you to see where I am coming from.
  • Options
    j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member
    Yeah, no one said EA was appropriating. Adding a culture to the game is a good thing and they seem to be doing it well. A simmer was just expressing concern over them personally using traditional items wrong without realizing.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I wouldn’t be offended if someone said they were dressed up as a zombified white lady from New Jersey.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited October 2020
    Hearts4u wrote: »
    I hope this is a backpack on this little cute girl. I would love for my toddlers to have little packs on there backs.
    Possible-backpack.jpg

Nice that we are getting fannie backpacks.
    fannie-pack.jpg

I hope that Fanny pack is an accessory or we get packless swatches. I hate those things. The toddler backpack however is adorable 😍.
  • Options
    mercuryfoammercuryfoam Posts: 1,156 Member
    I always feel a bit uncomfortable using the clothing that is from a culture other than my own. I don't want to appropriate and I don't feel I know enough about a lot of cultures to play a realistic family without that feeling of playing to a stereotype. I'd be curious to know how others feel about this.

Appropriation doesn't happen unless you claim the clothing to be a part of your identity or culture. As long as you're not doing that, and do it respectfully by pay homage and acknowledge it's origins, I'd consider it cultural appreciation instead.

Where I grew up, we encourage wearing each other's cultural clothing as respect for one another. During Islamic new year, Chinese Spring Festival, Deepavali etc, it's normal to see people of all colors wear cultural clothes of different backgrounds. And we love that. We feel a sense of pride when you like our traditional clothing so much that you'd wear them.

When the term 'cultural appropriation' arrived here, you can imagine how surprised we were that this practice is deemed disrespectful on the other side of the globe. (I grew up in Asia)

As someone in the thread have said, my friends and I are very 'chill' if anyone wants to wear our cultural clothing. I'm not Japanese, but my Japanese friends loved it when I wore a kimono to their Bon Odori. And my Vietnamese friend encourage me to wear their Ao dai. My muslim colleagues complimented my Kebayas a few times (their traditional outfit) when I wore them casually to work.

There are always going to be people who think you are cultural appropriating, and there will be people like me who think you're honoring my culture. You're a sincere and culturally-sensitive person to ask that so I hope you rest your mind and choose to view wearing them on your sims as a positive act than negative.

Right so I'm actually here to gush about the details in the trailer that made me squeal!

- different types of ramen, gyoza, and hotpot!
    - teru teru bozus!
    - disheveled salary man's clothing (I know what you're hinting at EA. SO TRUE.)
    - bamboo whisk and bowl for tea ceremonies.
    - juice/shoju ads and posters
    - standing air-conditioning unit

/Sigh. This pack feels so close to home. :blush:
  • Options
    ladynight wrote: »
    @Dannydanbo
    I agree with you that EA is not trying to appropriate other people’s culture. Of course it is not an insult- no one is saying that.
    But you don’t seem to understand what I have said. A race is not a costume. If you want to dress up as a zombie to scare people, why does it have to be a geisha? Do you see what I mean? Dressing up as a geisha for Halloween is in no way “honoring” the culture, whereas going to Japan and wearing a traditional kimono is honoring and being respectful. I feel that there is a clear difference between the two. I am in no way trying to start an argument with you, I just want you to see where I am coming from.

I think I understand where you're coming from. Do you understand where I'm coming from.

If I wear a zombie geisha costume for Halloween how does that disrespect the Japanese culture or every geisha that has ever lived? If I wore that costume everyday and attempted to make others think that I am a geisha zombie I would see your point. Ever dressed as a nun for Halloween? I think many are missing one very important element and that is....intent. No one is trying to bring shame to any culture by dressing or acting in another cultures tradition.

Does that mean that no actor in a movie or TV show can ever dress or act like another culture that they are not a part of? Of course not. I don't want anyone's feeling to be hurt, but let's be honest, how hurt are you truly feeling? Maybe some just want to make others feel uneasy. I have no doubt that many other cultures would have no problem making fun of (on purpose) my culture because they don't respect it at all. Most don't think we have any culture to disrespect. Have you ever created an American sim? Did you play that sim with deep respect for America? Probably not. You probably didn't think about our culture at all.

The problem with shining a light in a dark room is that it can light up ALL the corners, not just the one you're pointing to. All I'm saying is, I think I do understand and stones/glass houses.
  • Options
    @Dannydanbo
    I am American. I was born in America and have lived here my whole life. I don’t understand what you even mean by saying have I ever made a sim with “deep respect to american culture.” All I am asking for is people to respect Japanese culture and not make fun of it. That is all. Have a nice day :)
  • Options
    @Dannydanbo
    I am American. I was born in America and have lived here my whole life. I don’t understand what you even mean by saying have I ever made a sim with “deep respect to american culture.” All I am asking for is people to respect Japanese culture and not make fun of it. That is all. Have a nice day :)

I may have missed it but, where and when did anyone in this forum ever make fun of the Japanese culture? Since you stated that you are an American I can only surmise that you are another white person that likes to fight nonexistent battles for other people they feel strongly for. As a gay man, I get sick and tired of other people telling me what I should care about or fight for and insist on doing it for me. I can fight my own battles and I have seen no evidence that anyone is even thinking about making fun of Japanese culture other than you. You also have a nice day.
  • Options
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    @Dannydanbo

I think I understand where you're coming from. Do you understand where I'm coming from.

If I wear a zombie geisha costume for Halloween how does that disrespect the Japanese culture or every geisha that has ever lived? If I wore that costume everyday and attempted to make others think that I am a geisha zombie I would see your point. Ever dressed as a nun for Halloween? I think many are missing one very important element and that is....intent. No one is trying to bring shame to any culture by dressing or acting in another cultures tradition.

Does that mean that no actor in a movie or TV show can ever dress or act like another culture that they are not a part of? Of course not. I don't want anyone's feeling to be hurt, but let's be honest, how hurt are you truly feeling? Maybe some just want to make others feel uneasy. I have no doubt that many other cultures would have no problem making fun of (on purpose) my culture because they don't respect it at all. Most don't think we have any culture to disrespect. Have you ever created an American sim? Did you play that sim with deep respect for America? Probably not. You probably didn't think about our culture at all.

The problem with shining a light in a dark room is that it can light up ALL the corners, not just the one you're pointing to. All I'm saying is, I think I do understand and stones/glass houses.

I have to agree with @ladyknight . Cultural clothing should not be made into halloween costumes. You can have the sincerest of intent when wearing a 'zombie geisha' costume, but the words 'dress up' and 'costume' being used to describe another person's traditional clothing is in itself controversial and disturbing. Cultural clothing are sacred apparels that have become part of a group of people's identity. Lumping their identity together in the same category as catwoman outfits, maid outfits, and spiderman costumes is insensitive, and reduces them to mere costume-play.

Consider this: What would be the intent of cultural clothing be depicted as a halloween costume in the first place when you are wearing it to celebrate not their culture, but yours? (or where halloween is from)

Another thing to note is that many people in the past have used halloween as an excuse to fetishize outfits. Cultural clothing have been fetishized repeatedly before as halloween costumes, especially geishas. So while you may not have that intent at all, people of that culture might not share your view. Considering how geishas in the 21st century are still highly fetishized and terrorized by tourists for pictures/selfies/facetime, it's no wonder EA did not include them in this pack despite the strong japanese influence.

Here's an example:
    Me wearing this to celebrate Chinese New Year and pray at temples is respectful.
    East-Meets-Dress-Tammy-Cheongsam-Dress-1.jpg

Me wearing this for halloween is creepy and disrespectful.
    EIo-7-Uj-Wk-AIc8-Ww-1.jpg

• Options
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    @Dannydanbo

There is a HUGE difference between wearing say a traditionally patterned native dress purchased in a shop on native land or given to you by a native, and to buy a "Zombie Geisha" or "Sexy Pocahontas" dress for Halloween.
  • Options
    JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    Not sure if this has been said, bit Vacation Remtal Lots.... Yay

I wonder if this will apply to other world like Sulani.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • Options
    ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,751 Member
    wrote:
    Me wearing this for halloween is creepy and disrespectful.
    EIo-7-Uj-Wk-AIc8-Ww-1.jpg
    That's actually kinda hot... lol
    He/Him
  • Options
    CeridwenCeridwen Posts: 228 Member
    The blog mentions this pack is adding koi and ponds.

And this makes me so very happy! Koi are beautiful fish.
  • Options
    Ceridwen wrote: »
    The blog mentions this pack is adding koi and ponds.

And this makes me so very happy! Koi are beautiful fish.

Carps gotta carp. ;)
  • Options
    JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    edited October 2020
    The people who get bent out about other cultures the most are usually the Americans. That’s because they see only black & white. On my travels other countries are more chill about things. I miss the times were you can dress as what you want without someone taking it personal & offensive. But this is the America we live now.
  • Options
    The people who get bent out about other cultures the most are usually the Americans. That’s because they see only black & white. On my travels other countries are more chill about things. I miss the times were you can dress as what you want without someone taking it personal & offensive. But this is the America we live now.

There are some clearly offensive things, like the "Sexy xyz" Halloween costumes, or of course black/brownface. But enjoying music or fashion from a cultural region does not make you a bad person for example.
  • Options
    That's actually kinda hot... lol
    Ah.. see here. Your response is exactly what fetishization of cultural apparels aim to invoke. You have proven my point.

I am not American. I am a Person of Color with Southeast and East Asian culture and heritage. I am also an avid traveler. English is not my native language.

We are chill about a lot of things as long as you’re being respectful. Being culturally-empathetic and informed is not a bad thing. I’ve been reading this discussion with intrigue and tbh, I don't understand why a person’s national identity (American especially) is used against them to invalidate their very reasonable points. Personally I find their perspectives more well-founded than the ones who argue by bringing up their own or the other speaker’s identities. National identities are lovely and all, but it would be fairer for you to consider our cultural and ethnical identities, this being an issue of cultural appropriation than 'national appropriation' in the first place.
  • Options
    RememberJoyRememberJoy Posts: 1,139 Member
    I hate to be that person, but this thread is getting seriously off topic.

Details I've seen:
    There seems to be a snow/ice covered cave up where the mountain climbers were camping. I wonder if it leads to a secret lot or the peak of the mountain we see in the trailer.

There is a small covered sitting area behind the woman being attacked by the centipede. Is this a rest spot for hikers or something else?
  • Options
    I hate to be that person, but this thread is getting seriously off topic.

Details I've seen:
    There seems to be a snow/ice covered cave up where the mountain climbers were camping. I wonder if it leads to a secret lot or the peak of the mountain we see in the trailer.

There is a small covered sitting area behind the woman being attacked by the centipede. Is this a rest spot for hikers or something else?

I saw those also, but don't know what they are for. It could be a resting area to stop and think or rest or chat with a friend.

There is a beautiful ice cave at Mt, Fuji (I think) that is very popular. In our game, it could be a place to explore or a home for a Yeti. I'm hoping Yeti. :D