Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why The Sims 4 was a downgrade (and why the Sims 5 might be better)

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited September 2020
    chickenow wrote: »
    Time will tell and I hope the same thing as you. Sadly my expectations are that they might be marketing to console based play where they need to go big, flashy and current rather than the small intricacies PC fans like myself expect might be the way forward. I anticipate more brand collaborations, online play and a greater focus on goal based play. Like I mentioned I think the life simulation genre needs to expand for fans to feel satisfied.

@chickenow What makes you say that they are marketing to console?
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    I still believe that Sims 5 will be worse than
    Sims 3 & 4.
  • Options
    chickenowchickenow Posts: 458 Member
    edited September 2020
    Time will tell and I hope the same thing as you. Sadly my expectations are that they might be marketing to console based play where they need to go big, flashy and current rather than the small intricacies PC fans like myself expect might be the way forward. I anticipate more brand collaborations, online play and a greater focus on goal based play. Like I mentioned I think the life simulation genre needs to expand for fans to feel satisfied.

I'm sure I read something about Sims 5 and PS5. I believe this is the link https://simscommunity.info/2020/05/30/the-sims-5-will-also-release-on-ps5-according-to-playstation-magazine/. I appreciate I'm speculating and could be way off (well I hope I'm way off) but after JTB/Strangerville my expectations are Goal/Console orientated might be the way forward if Sims 5 is *possibly* being pitched for PS5 from launch (in previous iterations the console release came way after and certainly in Sims 1 and 2 were more goal based than the PC version.)
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited September 2020

I'm sure I read something about Sims 5 and PS5. I believe this is the link https://simscommunity.info/2020/05/30/the-sims-5-will-also-release-on-ps5-according-to-playstation-magazine/. I appreciate I'm speculating and could be way off (well I hope I'm way off) but after JTB/Strangerville my expectations are Goal/Console orientated might be the way forward if Sims 5 is *possibly* being pitched for PS5 from launch (in previous iterations the console release came way after and certainly in Sims 1 and 2 were more goal based than the PC version.)

@chickenow the reason why the PS5 planned release was leaked is because the PS5 is owned by Sony and when Sony develops a new console like this they look for games they can add to it and send their console to companies like EA early, so they can develop their games in a way that is compatible with the new generation consoles. For that reason EA had to tell Sony their plans of a Sims 5 game in order to come to an agreement. This happens with pretty much all games and it's nothing unusual.
    The reason why the Sims 5 PC release hasn't leak is because PCs are customizable so EA doesn't have to develop the game in a way that suits a specific engine and don't have to talk to anyone about it. This is why PC releases are usually easier to hide from the public and develop in secret.

There is no way EA would ever design a Sims game as a mainly console game because the console fanbase is much much smaller than the PC one, the game isn't designed to work well with a joystick etc.
    They have, for a while now, been releasing packs on PC and Console at the same time and they do that in hopes of making the game as accesible to as many people as possible. Also the CEO has already talked in an interview about wanting to create cross-platform games that can be accesed by the customer on any platform they own, so I'm thinking this is what they are planning to do with the Sims 5.
    I think it's more of an accesibility thing than it is a game design thing.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member

@chickenow the reason why the PS5 planned release was leaked is because the PS5 is owned by Sony and when Sony develops a new console like this they look for games they can add to it and send their console to companies like EA early, so they can develop their games in a way that is compatible with the new generation consoles. For that reason EA had to tell Sony their plans of a Sims 5 game in order to come to an agreement. This happens with pretty much all games and it's nothing unusual.
    The reason why the Sims 5 PC release hasn't leak is because PCs are customizable so EA doesn't have to develop the game in a way that suits a specific engine and don't have to talk to anyone about it. This is why PC releases are usually easier to hide from the public and develop in secret.

There is no way EA would ever design a Sims game as a mainly console game because the console fanbase is much much smaller than the PC one, the game isn't designed to work well with a joystick etc.
    They have, for a while now, been releasing packs on PC and Console at the same time and they do that in hopes of making the game as accesible to as many people as possible. Also the CEO has already talked in an interview about wanting to create cross-platform games that can be accesed by the customer on any platform they own, so I'm thinking this is what they are planning to do with the Sims 5.

Yes, and is the clearest indication that TS5 is being developed right now. I'm just pointing that out because some people don't even think it's being worked on.

• Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member

So that little tidbit that came in sony mag can be seen as confirmation for a sims 5? i am only asking because some people were saying to take it with a grain of salt, so i didnt know what to make out of it.

• Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,128 Member
    Sims 4 was never ever supposed to be. It was supposed to be an Online Only game called Project Olympics.
    So, I guess when they do finally get around to Sims 5 it will actually be the true Sims 4.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Sims 4 was never ever supposed to be. It was supposed to be an Online Only game called Project Olympics.
    So, I guess when they do finally get around to Sims 5 it will actually be the true Sims 4.
    EA CEO trying to push online game on the Sims 5 too, so history might repeat itself. I would love to be proved wrong on this when the Sims 5 does come out, but until then, I have a backup plan of continuing to play other simulation games too and with Paralives coming and other games, future is bright in gaming.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 891 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    EA CEO trying to push online game on the Sims 5 too, so history might repeat itself. I would love to be proved wrong on this when the Sims 5 does come out, but until then, I have a backup plan of continuing to play other simulation games too and with Paralives coming and other games, future is bright in gaming.

If this happens Sims 4 will be where my relationship with this franchise ends. I hope it doesn't, but like you I am hopeful for Paralives if the Sims 5 is online.
  • Options
    chickenowchickenow Posts: 458 Member

Thank you for the clarification. I must admit that I wasn't aware of that regarding game companies.
    I'm still very on a gripe with the Sims general direction and after JTB as to what they will do with their direction now they have *another* set of fans to appease as they move into the next set of the franchise but I appreciate your insight into the PS5 news.
  • Options
    DevSims91DevSims91 Posts: 470 Member
    I want EA to hire some people from the sims 2 and 3 along with sims 4 (2 and 3) mod and content creators I wish Will Wright would come back for example... But I also want new people either young, fresh out of school or older people who learned a new trade.

But I want people who have a passion for the Sims series... ALL of the games because I want as many players as possible represented... I also want the truth to be told... I want to be able to trust the sims team.

(Also if the sims team wants to reach a younger demographic then they need to change, as in give the people what they want. But also I was 12 when the sims 2 came out and even then I had a blast (I also felt grown up) But 12 year old game players today are probably smarter so they deserve a game that makes them feel excited, grown up, and still have fun. But the sims isn’t for 12 year olds I’m in my 20s now and I want a game I can enjoy the entire day if I want to, even if I can’t. Sims 2 and 3 offer me that... But apart from creating/making over sims and houses I don’t spend as much time playing the game... But I want to if Sims 4 was given another 6 months to a year to come out imagine the game we could have right now. (Imagine if they took what they had made already and put it on an engine that could handle more.)

But I want people who know and love all of the sims games to work on this if it’s only people from sims 4 it’s not going to be the game we want... I love the island paradise world, the world from get together, and the world from Eco Living along with those worlds I love those sims... I love to play in those worlds most of the time but even then I can tell there are limitations (but now I actually know why).
  • Options
    Toz91Toz91 Posts: 117 Member
    edited October 2020
    Personally, guys, I get that Sims 4 is closed world, due to what the system can handle, but I really want more exciting stories and fantasy content. The Star Wars GP feels like a step in the right direction to me, but it could have done with more family gameplay. I personally don't play multiplayer, but I agree that the families in game need to be more implemented. Sims 1 was great, then Sims 2 felt even better with Sims able to grow up, or become occults. Sims 3 introduced the open-world and greater customization that most of us loved, but Sims 4 feels like your back to Sims 2.5 with very basic CAS and too many rabbit-holes, not to mention a starting feature that poorly caters for anyone trying to play as one of the pre-made houses. I feel like my played sims are in some strange isekai with no way to explore the world. I LOVED S2 and S3 and I felt S4 should have combined features from both of them, rather than being a recycle of Olimpiad or whatever it was called. I have no qualms for those who want to play the game however they want to, just give us more meaningful gameplay and storytelling.
  • Options
    LeanneStrong57LeanneStrong57 Posts: 66 Member
    You read my mind! Especially since the sims 4 seems to focus too much on partying and other fun activities, and not enough on what really matters! I would have liked basic stuff, such as pets, seasons, vacations, and a wide variety of career opportunities, to be included in the base game. I would have liked my child to teen sims to have summers off from school, and all sims to have holidays off from school or work.

I would have also liked to be able to create sims with disabilities. I am very high-functioning on the Autism Spectrum (probably level 1, if that), and I feel that adding sims with additional needs would make the game more interesting. Sims could have Autism Spectrum Disorder, Dyslexia, ADHD, Tourette Syndrome, Intellectual Disability, Mental Disability, Cognitive Impairments, hearing impairments, visual impairments, mobility issues, Cerebral Palsy, Down Syndrome, Angelman Syndrome, Anencephaly, Microcephaly, Hydrocephalus, Traumatic Brain Injury/Head Trauma, among many other disabilities. They can be affected in various ways, and to varying degrees of severity. However, I wouldn't want any of the disabilities available to come with preset traits, because two people with the same disability are going to be very different, and have different needs and personality traits. I would also like to see lot types such as, "group home," or, "assisted living apartments," added as a residential lot option for people with disabilities.

Another thing I would have liked is to have the option to have a residential and community lot combined. These could be lots such as farms, gardens, or even some apartment lots could have a community facility on them..
  • Options
    sovereignsimmersovereignsimmer Posts: 35 Member
    edited October 2020
    I really love the term you used. Indeed, this is definitely an identity crisis for this franchise.
    Like any marketing professionals would suggest, I firmly believe that they must seperate their audiences.
    Trying to please us older fans who have such high expectations from this franchise due to its glorious legacy just doesn't work well with them also trying to attract new and younger gamers. We, who has experienced all the great features in previous hits, like interests, hobbies, attraction, unique personalities, fears, consequences, memories etc. just can't stop comparing what we get to its predecessors. It is not our fault, it is only natural, because we know this game's true potential, we had all those things when AI technologies weren't even this advanced. But somehow, due to their vain effort to make this game playable for everyone, it got dumber and dumber. And this is NOT okay.

If I was at the head of Maxis, I would wage war against EA if they didn't meet my terms and insist that the next game(s) of this franchise should be seperate for different audiences. Yes, it requires more time, more effort, more budget, but it would definitely solve the most known issues of this franchise.

Let's say it is the sims 5...

I would make 1 version of the game, as dumb as the sims 4 if sooo necessary, like, for kids per say, and i would call it "the sims 5: dollhouse version" and i would rate that PG.

And then, i would go for a different title of the same game, with more advanced and detailed features for us fans who have been playing the game for 2 decades, would call it something like "the sims 5: ultimate version" and rate it teen+ or maybe even +18 and i would include every freaking feature we lacked in the sims 4. More intimate romance animations, hillarious cutscenes like in the sims 2, all the complex systems that dummies couldnt handle, like attraction/chemistry with preferences, turn ons, zodiacs, favs... actual lifetime goals and aspirations with serious difficulty, with fears, consequences to actions, penalties... actual real life issues like crime, anxiety, platonic love, one sided relationships, grudges and vendetta.. chance to fail at things, be doomed eternally and really suck at stuff your sim isn't supposed to master. In short, I would throw in every little detail we have been missing from the previous games and i would build upon them, flesh them out more in depth and make it an actual "LIFE" simulation.

But for sure, i would include all those highly requested game objects and mechanics to both versions. Like CAW tool, cars, at least semi-open worlds, customization tools, proper life stages and activities appropriate to them, occults, etc etc...

Those titles would be their own things. Those who enjoy sims 4 style could continue with no brainer/dollhouse version and those who expect more could continue with ultimate/veteran version.
    Some expansion pack would be available to both titles for sure, since some generic stuff like seasons are essential for a proper life-simulation. I wouldn't complain if they made exactly same worlds, same cas/bb items, overall same features for those. I would just expect more depth, more mature details available for the ultimate version. Like, for seasons, we could get more little interactions like "warm (him) up with body heat" kind of stuff. You know what i mean.

This way, the company wouldn't have to worry about pleasing everyone. The version tailored to general audience would be something you would gift to your kids, your elderly father or something. And the version that is tailored to mature audience would be something you would get lost in, overwhelmed by nostalgia, something you would have to pay attention and pay real effort to enjoy the progress you made. You could totally play the god you always wanted to be while telling your stories, advancing your neighborhoods and families in past decades... Or excuse me, you would be the "watcher" you deserve to be, as we were referred in the sims medieval :)

So yeah... If the company doesn't bother taking such steps to deal with this identity crisis of the franchise, I'm afraid they will lose the core of their community. Yes, there are always some less fortunate souls who doesn't know better and will buy the game nonetheless, but those who actually made this game come this far will leave it behind. The frustration is just indescribable. If they don't at least bring back all those great features of the previous games, i definitely am not returning in the sims 5, that is for sure. I would rather go back to play sims 2, sims 3 and sims 4 (solely for better graphics btw, i dont even enjoy it as much as i did previous games) instead of spending my precious money which i earn by such a hard work and effort. I would support smaller yet promising titles instead. Like paralives or any other game that allows generic stuff like marriage, work, child making, sicknesses, careers etc. etc. It doesn't even have to be a life simulation then, i would be ok with a single player RPG too. Just not gonna let EA drain my blood dry anymore. I've been disappointed enough.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Remember when a particular SimGuru (will not mention his name) when City Living was announced claimed that he decided not to let the team add cars in the game because it might confuse the players, and its better to focus on other aspects of the pack, did not even bother letting their engineers add a proper elevator because he said that it is "just like" stairs?, yet a few weeks later before launch, they made a whole blog post about the talking toilet.

That is how mismanaged The Sims 4 was when it comes to production. The producers are the one that combines the Design, Audio, Art, and Programming direction of the game to make it come together, yet it feels like there are too many. Looking at the credits we got more Producers than Animators. No wander why we are getting recycled animations.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    TS1299 wrote: »
    Remember when a particular SimGuru (will not mention his name) when City Living was announced claimed that he decided not to let the team add cars in the game because it might confuse the players, and its better to focus on other aspects of the pack, did not even bother letting their engineers add a proper elevator because he said that it is "just like" stairs?, yet a few weeks later before launch, they made a whole blog post about the talking toilet.

That is how mismanaged The Sims 4 was when it comes to production. The producers are the one that combines the Design, Audio, Art, and Programming direction of the game to make it come together, yet it feels like there are too many. Looking at the credits we got more Producers than Animators. No wander why we are getting recycled animations.

I never use the talking toilet, its ridiculous. I like it that they are trying to do weird stuff in the game but a talking toilet is just wasted energy.

Tbh I do not have problem with humors in the game, but if they are the priority, it is too much. What is the point of having jokes in the game if the features are not valuable to gameplay.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    edited October 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    The talking toilet is one of my favorite objects. I use it in almost every build. It’s an efficient way to improve their hygiene and bladder needs simultaneously.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley: