Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

This silent treatment is the worst

Comments

• Options
    HyawehHyaweh Posts: 36 Member
    I honestly hope that the surveys weren't only to keep hope for the players but a real use for them in the future. What I hope as well is that it's for Sims 4 and not Sims 5. I still have hope that they are working on it and choosing/ adding what they want would make some time. But for me this survey was really on point and very clever of what we want, lack and need.

So for me, the gurus are really listening to the community and do their best to bring us what we want in the game. I won't talk about EA politics or money because it's not my expertise, I have no idea how it works. All I know is that there is a gap between us and EA.

I'm not surprise we have no new for now. I think a new GP will arrive in march or April like every year. But I agree it would be nice and very usefull for them to update us about the survey. What are the results? How they will use it in Sims 4? Can we expect to see some feature arrive in the game?

When we see how people were so excited after that, I can imagine how it would be for players if they actually add those in the game. It would be a real oxygen bubble and the game would have a longer life.
    Sorry for my English, I'm French.
  • Options
    NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    There has been feedback to the feedback. The answer was that the survey was hard to use since "everyone answered yes to everything".
    That, however is hardly strange since well... everything they asked for in the first half (basically all the story telling stuff) should have been in the base game at launch. Memories? More reactions from Sim friends etc? Of course everyone and their grandmother answered yes to that.

Just swallow the sour grapes and implement the missing base game features already and you don't have to be confused by your own survey...!

My exact thoughts.
  • Options
    NoirStasisNoirStasis Posts: 243 Member
    Id rather have silent treatment than them shell out a shallow expansion, game, or stuff pack, when the base game is severely lacking. My hope would be they're trying to fix the core of the game because it looks like they're trying to bring the community together pc/mac and console, hence the gallery being one of the the main bridges that has connected the community; problems with the gallery is effecting people's games; game breaking bugs.

Though I can't deny I am mad about Maxis monthly, like why call it that when it doesn't happen monthly, that would be the main thing that bothers me.
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    No truer words.
    It irks the heck out of me how this team communicates with us..and quite frankly, I have very little respect for them. They have turned me off from feeling like they care, I would have left this game in the dust a long time ago, because it's beyond ridiculous...but my LOVE for this series has kept me strung along...I long for the days how it was back in the TS1 and TS2 days, even TS3...it was SO much better....and I was SO excited for upcoming content..but with TS4...it's becoming a ride that I wanna get off and has over stayed it's welcome and and never gonna pick up.
  • Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    NoirStasis wrote: »
    Id rather have silent treatment than them shell out a shallow expansion, game, or stuff pack, when the base game is severely lacking. My hope would be they're trying to fix the core of the game because it looks like they're trying to bring the community together pc/mac and console, hence the gallery being one of the the main bridges that has connected the community; problems with the gallery is effecting people's games; game breaking bugs.

Though I can't deny I am mad about Maxis monthly, like why call it that when it doesn't happen monthly, that would be the main thing that bothers me.

While I agree with you to some degree...but.....the thing is...they are silent...and then give us a new expansion , game pack or stuff pack...and....it's still a shell out shallow thing...lol!
  • Options

While I agree with you to some degree...but.....the thing is...they are silent...and then give us a new expansion , game pack or stuff pack...and....it's still a shell out shallow thing...lol!

Your telling the truth, but a girl can dream about them unlocking the hospital, jail, and science hidden active career lots like they unlocked all the world build items. Then adding story progression fixing babies, and adding cars because with University, they added a vehicle tab in an update.

And like I said I'm mad about Maxis monthly so I don't agree with 100% silent treatment when they said they were going to have something called "Maxis Monthly" then not have it for 3 months, it's ridiculous.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »
    Edit: About Deli's choices...there were some that I really disagreed with. It makes me a little worried about how much influence they have on the developers. I have noticed some of the more popular game changers are really focused on building and it makes me question if we are getting so much pretty and less gameplay because of that.

Having only watched a few different Simmers on YT, I do get a feeling that they actually are bored with playing the game in live mode. I mean they do their LPs for each new pack, sure, but there's something in their comments across random videos that indicates to me that they don't spend a lot of time playing the game off camera. Obviously, I don't know their situations, but if at some point they flat out said they don't play the game outside of Twitch or YT videos, I would not be surprised. But I also don't think they'd just come out and say it, especially for those whose livelihood depends on their YT channel. But also not playing off screen doesn't necessarily equal boredom/discontent with the game. I'm just trying to see this situation from multiple sides.

It's just a feeling I have that game changers aren't honest enough/vocal enough and thus they aren't really changing the game the way it needs to be changed. But maybe they are being honest and it's just a difference in perception/opinions. They think things work where I personally don't.

That is a very interesting perspective. I really didn’t think about it that way. Most of the time they are background noise while I am doing something else so you could be right. LOL I don’t even know what to say when the game changers are bored too. I hope they are at the very least speaking up when things are not as engaging as it should be. The hype they gave for Island Living was insane and that pack was lacking in many ways. They were talking like it was the best thing ever. Now many of them say it was lacking. It would be a shame to find out they were not being honest with subscribers and EA. Hey maybe they are and EA is just not listening because that is EA’s track record too.
  • Options
    There has been feedback to the feedback. The answer was that the survey was hard to use since "everyone answered yes to everything".
    That, however is hardly strange since well... everything they asked for in the first half (basically all the story telling stuff) should have been in the base game at launch. Memories? More reactions from Sim friends etc? Of course everyone and their grandmother answered yes to that.

Just swallow the sour grapes and implement the missing base game features already and you don't have to be confused by your own survey...!

LOL exactly
  • Options

LOL so true
  • Options

Your telling the truth, but a girl can dream about them unlocking the hospital, jail, and science hidden active career lots like they unlocked all the world build items. Then adding story progression fixing babies, and adding cars because with University, they added a vehicle tab in an update.

And like I said I'm mad about Maxis monthly so I don't agree with 100% silent treatment when they said they were going to have something called "Maxis Monthly" then not have it for 3 months, it's ridiculous.

Wow it has been 3 months...
    I hate the Maxis monthly because they never tell us anything good. I thought it was going to be the new way of communicating when Kate? left but it hasn’t been worth my time to watch. Having said all that, I agree with you that it shouldn’t be called Maxis monthly if it is not going to happen.
  • Options
    TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    edited March 2020

Of course people were going to mark 10 on everything if they had the option. It was ridiculous to not make it a ranked survey.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member

The survey was flawed in the way that it asked the questions. Obviously we want everything that's not in the game already. It should have been in an order of what we would like to see and what we would like worked on. I also didn't appreciate that I couldn't tell them what I would like to see added to packs when they asked about going back to work on packs. Sure I can pick the pack I would like to see improved but what good is it if I can't tell you what it is I think needs to be improved about the pack and let you make more incorrect guesses. Unless they plan on more surveys in the future but I didn't get the impression that there would be a follow up survey. Judging by their shock that we did want everything (not sure what they were expecting to be honest) it feels to me more like they might just give up.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    Placebo7Placebo7 Posts: 107 Member

Exactly. Like, they should be embarrassed that people want so much more in the game 5 years after it came out. That means for five years people have found your product lacking, and you have not fixed it!
  • Options
    Placebo7 wrote: »

Exactly. Like, they should be embarrassed that people want so much more in the game 5 years after it came out. That means for five years people have found your product lacking, and you have not fixed it!

I can't believe that they said the survey was hard to use, like they got their answer when everyone put 10 on everything because they literally asked everything the game was lacking and they know it. Ya'll are right they should be embarrassed, but I'm mad at myself for even buying the game, thinking they were going to add the stuff missing in future expansion, game, and stuff packs, nope!

I hope a lot of people do not buy 5 if they leave 4 this incomplete, even if 5 is a little bit better than 4 at launch Simmers need to remember that it's still EA, they're going to probably release packs with bugs (game breaking bugs at that), and the communication is still going to be bad.
  • Options
    NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    Silence or no silence, the result is the same. The Sims 4 has fundamental CORE issues they haven't even tried to fix in these past six years. Issues like Sims lacking personality, traits not doing anything, the lack of chaos and danger, worlds being too small and completely static, no story progression, etc. A lof of players have to use dozens of mods to make the game somewhat enjoyable.

So I don't really care about them being silent because I know that, regardless of what they say, they aren't willing to walk the walk and make the changes needed to make The Sims 4 an enjoyable experience on its own. So whatever, keep going, I guess. A lot of people haven't played previous Sims games and don't know what they're missing (though, surprinsingly, a lot of them can tell something is missing).

Ultimately, like I always say, people need to speak with their wallets. Please, STOP buying DLC. Stop wasting your money until they show they're not only willing to listen, but to actually DO the things that need to be done. If TS4 Team doesn't do it, maybe The Sims 5 Team will. But it's important that we show that this is unacceptable. We deserve better. We've spent too much to be treated like this.
  • Options
    Placebo7Placebo7 Posts: 107 Member
    The silence is strange. Then we get a self-congratulatory "news" item for Women's month. Great job treating people equally! Now, would you care to comment on the problems we keep pointing out in your gameplay?
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited March 2020
    I hope a lot of people do not buy 5 if they leave 4 this incomplete, even if 5 is a little bit better than 4 at launch Simmers need to remember that it's still EA, they're going to probably release packs with bugs (game breaking bugs at that), and the communication is still going to be bad.

I'd say The Sims 3 is incomplete too, due to the fact they've left it unstable and buggy for a large portion of its player base before moving onto The Sims 4. The game is unable to hold a standard of 60FPS without stuttering, the bugs, the routing issues, the necessity to install bugs to ensure the game functions as it should, etc. The Sims 2 is absolutely not perfect, but it was left in a far much better state than TS3 was. Most of the issues people run into with it nowadays is from Windows 10 compatibility, which thankfully, I haven't had an issue with.

But given the state of TS3 in its final version, I feel EA/Maxis had the responsibility to fans who have spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on it to make an amazing game with The Sims 4 at the very least and they fell majorly flat in doing so. They rushed it out and put such little thought into this "successor." What's worse is how much they're dragging out this iteration, despite it being the least innovative out of all of the titles.

I'd much rather see The Sims 5 ASAP, so I could really get an idea if it's time to abandon this sinking ship for good or if Maxis has some magic left in them. I'm ready to pay the full price for it and all its expansions if it's good. As of now, I'm not putting any more money into The Sims 4.
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Grynn wrote: »
    Camkat wrote: »
    I get that they can't talk about what they are working on next though and this bothers me none. We shouldn't have a say in the next packs because really, what games do people ever get a say in? Once they get to beta or alpha testing, bugs get reported or game balance suggestions but the general public doesn't get to say things like "well you made this a shooter and I wanted to play a more hands on fight game, change this please". I know sims is a different style of game, all it's own really, but that doesn't mean we get to say what they develop next. Vote with your wallets. Buy the pack if you like it, or don't buy it. Which cycles back up to my other point of people just buying anything and everything.

What? most games with ongoing updates and DLC that I follow players get a say in.

To begin with almost every dev out there in 2020 keep dev logs where they showcase things at a very early concept stage for players to show feedback, it's not that hard and it really does wonders to help boost sales, nowadays when I discover a new game I always check to see if the devs have one to see if the game is still active, if it's in a final state (because let's be real, no game ever releases in a finished state nowadays) or if it has been "abandoned".

I've seen PLENTY of games change stuff due to player feedback, EA doesn't even bother to change minor Tunings that makes packs semi-unplayable like Realm of Magic, we instead have to rely on Zer0's mods to fix it.

The way developers act with The Sims is really the low of the low, it's amazing how the devs treat the community like thrash and players still buy DLCs.

Crusader Kings 2 was released in 2012 and it still sells to this day all because Paradox never let the game die with constant updates and engaging with the community, the difference between the two companies is so absurd.

I think that the reason why the devs pay less attention to what the players actually want and the complaints we have (and this is going to be harsh to hear for some people and probably reflects my own cynicism about some of society's views in general and views within the gaming industry in particular) is because the Sims series is is viewed as primarily a women's product. Traditionally, the voices of women and girls have been largely silenced and ignored in Western society, with the (mostly male) leaders of society instead imposing their own idea of what women's and girls' opinions, interests, feelings, and needs aught to be onto the female half of the population. If they call themselves "listening" to women's and girls' thoughts, opinions, or concerns, they are only really listening to the ladies whose words line up with what they think a normal female should be saying and thinking and either ignore the ladies whose words ring contrary to their presuppositions or twist those words so that they do line up with their view of the female mind.

Just look at the debate over air conditioning as an example. Women often complain that AC systems in public spaces like office buildings, school buildings, and movie theaters, are cranked up too high and leave them feeling uncomfortably cold. It's especially a problem in places where people are expected to be productive, because the more uncomfortable you are, the less productive you will be. Men generally ignore these complaints, saying that the temperature is fine and that women are just being control freaks or should just dress more warmly. But, when it's high summer and 95 degrees Fahrenheit (35 degrees Celsius) outside, and you have to wait outside in the heat for 20-30 minutes at a time for a bus because the city (where many office jobs are) is too dense to make driving at rush hour practical or you're a broke college student who commutes to school because they can't afford a car at the moment because all your money is going to paying for school, then wearing a thick sweater, long-johns, and gloves to work or having a space heater running under your desk because the indoor temperature at your school or place of work is set to Arctic because men (who already stay warmer because they, on average, have more muscle mass than women) insist on layering up in an undershirt, a button-down dress shirt, a tie, a blazer, and long pants all year long because of an outdated standard of "professional" dress that has had only minor updates since the 1800's and 72 Fahrenheit (22 Celsius) with virtually no humidity and constant air movement is way cooler than than the same raw temperature with mild humidity an little to no wind...Yeah, that's something worth complaining about. But when women complain about it and ask that the standard "comfortable" indoor temperature be bumped up from 72 degrees Fahrenheit (22 Celsius) to something just slightly warmer, like 75 degrees Fahrenheit (24 Celsius), men freak out like they're asking for the AC to be ripped out and tossed into the sun so that women can laugh at them sweating like pigs in the summer heat. Why should women just have to "dress warmer?" Why can't the men revise their definition of "professional" male dress and ditch some of the unnecessary layers during the warmer months so that interior temperatures don't have to be kept so low? Why, instead of expecting women to use space heaters at their desks, can't men bite the bullet and get those handheld mini-fans with the water spritzer (much cheaper than a space heater) to cool off at work? But, nope, the women are wrong, the men are right, and there is no actual problem because women's concerns don't matter and only men's comfort and concerns matter.

If this series was perceived as being more of a boy's or men's thing, then the feedback from the playerbase would be seen as more valid and worth listening to, considering, and using to improve the game. Because it is (or is perceived to be) mostly women's and girls' feedback coming in for this series, however, it's mostly ignored and/or disregarded because of this (largely unconscious) bias against the validity of the words and thoughts of women. Again, this whole thing is just my personal take on it, and probably reflects some of the cynicism I've developed over the years from my observations and personal experiences of how our society and the game industry have traditionally treated women and girls versus how they've treated men and boys. I acknowledge that I may be getting it wrong here...but I also might be frighteningly right.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Hopefully they will not pull an Sim City 2013 move. :)
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »

I'd say The Sims 3 is incomplete too, due to the fact they've left it unstable and buggy for a large portion of its player base before moving onto The Sims 4. The game is unable to hold a standard of 60FPS without stuttering, the bugs, the routing issues, the necessity to install bugs to ensure the game functions as it should, etc. The Sims 2 is absolutely not perfect, but it was left in a far much better state than TS3 was. Most of the issues people run into with it nowadays is from Windows 10 compatibility, which thankfully, I haven't had an issue with.

But given the state of TS3 in its final version, I feel EA/Maxis had the responsibility to fans who have spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on it to make an amazing game with The Sims 4 at the very least and they fell majorly flat in doing so. They rushed it out and put such little thought into this "successor." What's worse is how much they're dragging out this iteration, despite it being the least innovative out of all of the titles.

I'd much rather see The Sims 5 ASAP, so I could really get an idea if it's time to abandon this sinking ship for good or if Maxis has some magic left in them. I'm ready to pay the full price for it and all its expansions if it's good. As of now, I'm not putting any more money into The Sims 4.

I agree with you; unfortunately for the Sims 3 when you play it they have a disclaimer to not have all the packs installed when its suppose to be a life simulator that is suppose handle all the packs that they add to it.

I wanted to get University, but I need a little more from EA about fixing bugs and how they want to keep the Sims 4 alive and improve on it for a couple of years. Trailer was great, but what made people mad about it is the silence and that they said they didn't have it in the budget to do bunkbeds when they did tiny living, but turn around and have a budget to have multiple celebrities do trailers.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Hopefully they will not pull an Sim City 2013 move. :)
    They are trying to with the Sims 5 pushing the online thing with their broken servers.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Placebo7 wrote: »
    The silence is strange. Then we get a self-congratulatory "news" item for Women's month. Great job treating people equally! Now, would you care to comment on the problems we keep pointing out in your gameplay?

Shhhhhh! The whole point of that was to try and get people to stop pointing it out! I guess we could say that tactic, once again, did not work. Sims players are really bad at buying DLC they openly admit is not worth it, but I still think most of them have expectations for this game that have not been met. It’s a matter of time before people get a little fed up with the same excuses for the same issues they’ve chosen to ignore for 5 years now.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »
    Edit: About Deli's choices...there were some that I really disagreed with. It makes me a little worried about how much influence they have on the developers. I have noticed some of the more popular game changers are really focused on building and it makes me question if we are getting so much pretty and less gameplay because of that.

Having only watched a few different Simmers on YT, I do get a feeling that they actually are bored with playing the game in live mode. I mean they do their LPs for each new pack, sure, but there's something in their comments across random videos that indicates to me that they don't spend a lot of time playing the game off camera. Obviously, I don't know their situations, but if at some point they flat out said they don't play the game outside of Twitch or YT videos, I would not be surprised. But I also don't think they'd just come out and say it, especially for those whose livelihood depends on their YT channel. But also not playing off screen doesn't necessarily equal boredom/discontent with the game. I'm just trying to see this situation from multiple sides.

It's just a feeling I have that game changers aren't honest enough/vocal enough and thus they aren't really changing the game the way it needs to be changed. But maybe they are being honest and it's just a difference in perception/opinions. They think things work where I personally don't.
    What else could it mean?
    5JZ57S6.png