Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Just not the same anymore

I took a 6 month break from playing the sims and recently started playing again. Bought Island living and Discover University. Within a couple days I was bored, I was just passing time instead of really enjoying the game. Something about the game now is lackluster, not sure what. Anyone else feel this way?

Comments

• Options
    mysimkrismysimkris Posts: 16 Member
    Whenever I feel this way, I’ll take a longer break or make a family that experience all the things that I normally don’t do - woman leaves husband for lesbian lover, becoming a vampire/magician etc.
    I’ve found myself being way more interested if I just have 1-2 sim in a family and they go out all the time, meet new people, attending all the festivals etc. ☺️
  • Options
    LehmanLegacyLehmanLegacy Posts: 176 Member
    I think challenging yourself with some new form of gameplay, be it a family dynamic, story idea, life-state, etc. that you haven't experienced before can really work a treat. For me, I've invested a lot more time in a new family and have styled them to be a brand new legacy for me to work through. Usually I would go out of my way to save sims from death if they're doing something silly, or if there is a hazard like a fire, but I haven't this time around because it means that there's a shake up in the dynamic of the family I am playing and I find that to be the most easiest way to keep myself interested! :)
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I’ve felt this way for a long time. For me personally it’s because the base game is flawed. Sims are boring, they are all replicas of each other with different faces and hair styles and traits are basically moodlets. The creator of the Sims Franchise Will Wright recognised that players spent more time exploring failure states; the sims 4 fights you every step of the way should you try anything negative. And I don’t mean killing sims. I mean anything that could be considered negative. Try and have two siblings not get on and the second the player doesn’t initiate any teasing interactions, the game reverts back to them hugging and joking. There is also a severe lack of consequence in game which makes things boring.

The way I see it is is the above issues I’ve saw many people complain about, a game changer even made a video where she mentioned the above. But it won’t change as I don’t believe EA consider it broken. The problem is that no matter how much dlc you throw at the game, it will always be dull as long as those core issues exist. The dlc isn’t even attempting any more to improve our sims or make them more dynamic. It’s set dressing.
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,383 Member
    I've never been bored with Sims 4, just the opposite, but I remember seeing a great thread on this forum called "1000 fun things to do in the Sims 4". You can find it if you google the name. There are a lot of great suggestions what to do if you're bored. :)
  • Options
    Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,326 Member
    Kimmer wrote: »
    I've never been bored with Sims 4, just the opposite, but I remember seeing a great thread on this forum called "1000 fun things to do in the Sims 4". You can find it if you google the name. There are a lot of great suggestions what to do if you're bored. :)

Like beating up Santa for a present? :D
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=IsJ2erWiNuA
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Options
    TWSimGamer82TWSimGamer82 Posts: 456 Member
    Usually when I start to feel burned out on The Sims 4, I'll start a new project or challenge in the game. I have taken breaks from the game completely before as well. Eventually, I start to get The Sims itch and jump right back in.
    Sim: "I'm starving!"
    Player: *instructs sim to prepare meal* "Then eat something, you little goofball!"
    Sim: *starts cooking meal*
    -5 seconds later-
    Sim: *Stops cooking meal* "I'm so hungry!"
    Player: *head hits desk*
  • Options
    NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    edited January 2020
    SimsSlay wrote: »
    I took a 6 month break from playing the sims and recently started playing again. Bought Island living and Discover University. Within a couple days I was bored, I was just passing time instead of really enjoying the game. Something about the game now is lackluster, not sure what. Anyone else feel this way?

You have probably just moved on. There is no point in playing if you don't feel for it. The game is what it is. Having been away makes you see things from a different perspective. Go spend your money on something that makes you tick instead :)

I think it's important to remember that there is a life beyond Sims 4.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• Options
    joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    Do you use mods? If not, maybe give them a try. There are some mods that add to the gameplay and make things a lot more interesting. Check out some of the mods by KawaiiStacie and Roburky. :grin:
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,602 Member

It could be cuz you haven't played the game in a long while and just lost interest in it. That's normal.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member

Part of you is saying to try play the game again, but subconciously you got no interest in it at all. TS4 is obviously not a game you are interested in. It might best to accept that and move to games you like. Whatever you decide away from TS? have fun and enjoy yourself, as that is most important to you.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    I enjoy the game very much at the time, but that's also thanks to my rigid and never ending systems and notes on the side line. It keeps me busy running a community where each world is a district within a political region, and the past weeks I've created the past of several nobility houses, just to flesh out the region's history even more than I already did. I have a working council with elections every 5 years (where I don't really decide or know the outcome in advance, so it adds some excitement), I have lots of companies where I keep track on owners and boards etc, there is a bank and I keep notes on loans and stock investments, and there are other jobs that are technically not part of the game (ie Janitors). Whenever I get a new pack added, the added content is often meh, but it always adds spice to my ongoing universe - like University is not that exciting to play, but those getting a good degree will do better in my community - ie in elections, and they will probably do better economically meaning they might become central owners in some existing company, or perhaps being able starting their own.

I too need a break from it all occasionally, but I always get lots of new ideas when I'm not playing, so in fact I'd wish it would be easier for me to stay away for a longer period in order to focus on other projects :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    edited January 2020

I thought University would finally get me playing the game seriously.
    I did play for a while and I built several lots that I really like, but I just can't get into it any more.
    I had a week and a half break for the holidays and I loaded up the game and quit. I played GT Sport instead, racing cars and creating car liveries.

I am not coming back to TS4 until the last pack is made and then I will mod it like crazy and then play it.
    Until then I have a ton of other games that I have yet to play and some others that are coming out in a few months that I am excited about.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I tend to take long breaks too. When I get back it's not always obvious for me what I want to do and it takes some times to get involved with my sims and their storylines again. It could be just that. I love my sims and eventually that always helps to get into the game again.
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    So far I've never felt bored of the Sims 4. I play rotational and I find that changing families keeps the game feeling fun for me.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    just play something else for awhile I'm playing rune factory 4
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited January 2020
    I have always found the sims4 to be a game that is as fun as you make it. I have the most fun when I am trying different things, creating new sims or when I try and make a story. If I just play the game normally, then it easily becomes boring.
    I play the game because it is relaxing and easy to play. When I feel like I want to be challenged, I play something else.
  • Options
    sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    I've always thought The Sims 4 lacks depth in game play. Everything feels so surface level and I can't get into it like I could with The Sims - The Sims 3. I've gotten all the packs as well and I feel like more content can't fix a game that just doesn't work at the base level. I personally think they need to overhaul the traits and personalities of sims to make them more unique beyond just their physical appearance. I know it's been an area of disappointment for a lot of players, myself included, that teenage sims are the same height as adults. They just don't feel like teenagers to me.
  • Options
    popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    I feel like TS4 requires a ridiculous amount of imagination to really enjoy. Which is fine sometimes but previous versions provided hours of mindless fun with more unexpected twists and turns. TS4 I always feel like I need to focus and guide the story so it’s harder to get lost in.
  • Options
    AntiPrincess88AntiPrincess88 Posts: 7 New Member
    I'm the same way. I got my kids into playing the game. Watching them play/helping them got me back into the game after 7 months of not playing. I'm not back to the playing scale I was at, but maybe university and island living will change that...
  • Options
    Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    Sometimes you lose interest in things, at the end of the day The Sims is a game, if you don't feel like playing it's not a big deal. You can always try to watch let's plays or play a different version of The Sims if you really want to get back into it.
    The Sims 4 is the first game I was able to play regularly as in an hour or two every few days before that it was binge the Sims for 8-10 hours at once and then don't play for 6-12 months. Maybe that's your Sims 4 play style?
  • Options
    CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    Simulation games can become a little stale after a while and you need to take breaks, sometimes long breaks, from them. You may not be ready to come back and play yet. You might need a different kind of game to play for a while, like something with a plot or story to follow or something that has your character saving the world. One of the cool things about TS4 is that it isn't a subscription game, it will be waiting for you when you feel ready to come back to it.
  • Options
    APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    This has happened to me a number of times with Sims 4. I buy a new pack, play for a few days and decide I'm bored and I go play something else.
  • Options
    CherryBerryCloudCherryBerryCloud Posts: 689 Member
    edited September 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by CherryBerryCloud on
    Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.

Ha'aheo, e hoʻomau i kō kāua aloha, kau a kau.
  • Options
    Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    The Sims 4 is one of the most superior Sims games ever made and will beat Paralives. o:)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • Options
    CherryBerryCloudCherryBerryCloud Posts: 689 Member
    edited September 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by CherryBerryCloud on
    Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
    I have loved the stars too truly to be fearful of the night.

Ha'aheo, e hoʻomau i kō kāua aloha, kau a kau.