Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 Discover University Expansion Pack - Orientation video

Comments

• Options
    SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    edited November 2019
    @sleekoduck87 Debate was shown in the trailer and is definitely part of the pack. As for majors, one of the gurus mentioned on twitter that there are more than the 4 mentioned in the description, we should get further info on that in both the upcoming gameplay trailer and in the livestream.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I'm hoping there's an option to temporarily change the Sim's aspiration while they're in Uni. The majors and careers sound interesting and I like that there is more than one campus.

But something is missing...

Sims_greek_party.jpg

it was announced yesterday. :) so it might be to soon to say missing more like not there yet.

Definitely no mention of Greek houses in any of the releases. But there is an Art Club. I'm 50, and I just found out from my younger sister (who majored in art) that such a thing exists IRL yesterday. (That's more of a middle and high school thing, as I recall.) I never saw it in either of the two universities I attended, and I was quite active in student life. I am happy to see mention of soccer. (I plan to set up intramural teams.) I thought there was supposed to be a debate club, but that's not mentioned either on the newer press releases. SCA will be easy enough to set up with Get Together, and kind of already exists with Knights of the Hedge. ROTC would also be pretty easy to set up through Get Together. To my knowledge, there has never been Student Government in any of the Uni packs, which is kind of shocking. The first place I ever played any of the Sims franchise games was in the Student Government office in college.

My thing has always been specialized dorms where Sims can skill up for their classes. (I designed about a dozen for TS2, and I have about half a dozen to go with my University mod in the gallery.) I like the idea of being able to choose to skill up with equipment or with books, as is done in real colleges.

I have to say I'm a little disappointed in the majors that have been announced with the pack - I hope there are more, but I think they would have mentioned them if they existed. There is no Drama Major, which was awesome in TS2. (I substituted it with Communication in my mod, which works better with Get Famous.) I'm guessing that Art History is for both Art Sims and Archaeology Sims, but it comes across as an awkward mix. My mod allows History Majors to spend a semester abroad (in San Selvadorado, of course) to skill up in culture. I don't see that option working with Art History. Career-wise, I don't really see the point of a Mischief Major (criminology?) or a Comp Sci Major, although they do exist in real life. Is there a Music Major? What will Sofia and Cassandra study in college??? And where is the Literature Major? Half the Sims are Bestseller Aspiration. Geology (which I doubt is a major in the pack because it was also never mentioned) was a missed opportunity for collectors.

I'm going to wait and see what reviewers have to say on YouTube about the new pack before I decide whether or not to buy. The extra lots would be nice (suggestion to the Gurus: sell cheap game packs with empty neighborhoods - I'd pay $10 US each for extra Newcrests), but I don't see a lot of the gameplay that came with the previous versions. You can make a fraternity or sorority with Get Together, but it's still missing a lot of the interactions that came with TS2's Greek system.

Soccer is not a team sport but an activity for one sim alone. They can kick a soccer ball around. It's more like Hacky Sack.
  • Options
    sleekoduck87sleekoduck87 Posts: 255 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I'm hoping there's an option to temporarily change the Sim's aspiration while they're in Uni. The majors and careers sound interesting and I like that there is more than one campus.

But something is missing...

Sims_greek_party.jpg

it was announced yesterday. :) so it might be to soon to say missing more like not there yet.

Definitely no mention of Greek houses in any of the releases. But there is an Art Club. I'm 50, and I just found out from my younger sister (who majored in art) that such a thing exists IRL yesterday. (That's more of a middle and high school thing, as I recall.) I never saw it in either of the two universities I attended, and I was quite active in student life. I am happy to see mention of soccer. (I plan to set up intramural teams.) I thought there was supposed to be a debate club, but that's not mentioned either on the newer press releases. SCA will be easy enough to set up with Get Together, and kind of already exists with Knights of the Hedge. ROTC would also be pretty easy to set up through Get Together. To my knowledge, there has never been Student Government in any of the Uni packs, which is kind of shocking. The first place I ever played any of the Sims franchise games was in the Student Government office in college.

My thing has always been specialized dorms where Sims can skill up for their classes. (I designed about a dozen for TS2, and I have about half a dozen to go with my University mod in the gallery.) I like the idea of being able to choose to skill up with equipment or with books, as is done in real colleges.

I have to say I'm a little disappointed in the majors that have been announced with the pack - I hope there are more, but I think they would have mentioned them if they existed. There is no Drama Major, which was awesome in TS2. (I substituted it with Communication in my mod, which works better with Get Famous.) I'm guessing that Art History is for both Art Sims and Archaeology Sims, but it comes across as an awkward mix. My mod allows History Majors to spend a semester abroad (in San Selvadorado, of course) to skill up in culture. I don't see that option working with Art History. Career-wise, I don't really see the point of a Mischief Major (criminology?) or a Comp Sci Major, although they do exist in real life. Is there a Music Major? What will Sofia and Cassandra study in college??? And where is the Literature Major? Half the Sims are Bestseller Aspiration. Geology (which I doubt is a major in the pack because it was also never mentioned) was a missed opportunity for collectors.

I'm going to wait and see what reviewers have to say on YouTube about the new pack before I decide whether or not to buy. The extra lots would be nice (suggestion to the Gurus: sell cheap game packs with empty neighborhoods - I'd pay $10 US each for extra Newcrests), but I don't see a lot of the gameplay that came with the previous versions. You can make a fraternity or sorority with Get Together, but it's still missing a lot of the interactions that came with TS2's Greek system.

Soccer is not a team sport but an activity for one sim alone. They can kick a soccer ball around. It's more like Hacky Sack.

Thanks for the heads-up. So I can just do intramurals with the stuff I already have without the Uni pack - Get Together club with City Living basketball. Good to know.
    I'm working on adding my mods to Curseforge. In the mean time, check out my YouTube channel & WordPress blog for more. I go by Sleekoduck. I'm also the one who figured out how to play The Sims 2 in Windows 8 and the original fix is on Facebook & LiveJournal. Thanks for the 100 Awesomes everyone!6a00e54ee3905b883301bb07e55862970.jpg
  • Options
    Pinmat135Pinmat135 Posts: 346 Member
    Yes. yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. YESSSS

Bikes - robots - UNIVERSITY - juice pong (lol!) - shower woohoo - debate - AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH SO EXCITE
  • Options
    Realishedturtle3Realishedturtle3 Posts: 2 New Member
    I always enjoy the new content! Im in love with the mascots, outfits, and hairstyles I noticed.
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Shower Woohoo
    Piercings
    Keg
    Sims get on and off bikes instead of teleport like with boats
    Pranks
    Pong Table
    New Kiss that comes with Shower Woohoo

Yes I'm pretty excited.

content that i will never use in the game and preordered as well

I need to see more from this expansion pack.

Some of it isn't what I expected for a uni expansion.

I like,

Juice keg
    Pong table
    Piercings .

Not so much the bikes.

Yet another item that takes a step back excluding kids like broomsticks, or boats with only room for one sim.
    If cars ever come to the sims 4 makes me wonder if they will have passengers.

Would I use any of this often, unlikely.
    Apart from piercings :)

Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Bunkbeds can in no way be excluded. That is one thing.
    I do really appreciate bikes having animations and actually done pretty well. How is no one talking about this?!

They excluded them now in

Parenthood
    Kids room
    City living
    Possiblly university's

Not surprised. The sims 4 uni might not have them.

bikes could of been done better :(
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »
    Is this a new hairstyle?
    48965896517_fbc05d8c36.jpg

No we already have that one.

Which pack is it from?

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,227 Member
    Is this a new hairstyle?

Which pack is it from?

I was going to say Get Together, then realized I'm not really sure. I do know I just saw it.
    image.png
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Is this a new hairstyle?

Which pack is it from?

Can't remember, I've just seen it in CAS many times.
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    TheSims just put up a gif. I wonder if that could mean were getting a teaser for the gameplay trailer today.
  • Options
    Felicity1169Felicity1169 Posts: 592 Member
    Is this a new hairstyle?

Which pack is it from?

It almost looks like a hair style that came with City Living but it looks a little bit longer on the top. Maybe it is new?
  • Options
    Monda76Monda76 Posts: 50 Member
    Will there be a teaching career? Any thoughts?
  • Options
    SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Monda76 wrote: »

The description mentions a teaching career
  • Options
    LemonviolinLemonviolin Posts: 6 New Member
    This is really cool. Piercings, table tennis, bathroom stalls, their adding so much! We finally have everything we've wanted since the beginning!
  • Options

Personal thought: it's going to be the usual rabbit hole 10 level career.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member

I absolutely agree with this. They haven't had anymore follow your sims to work careers since GTW and I guess they can't really or they down play GTW main features. It could have some work from home options, but... that's not really a super great option for "teaching" other sims so they will likely just keep it a rabbit hole only.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    Camkat wrote: »

I absolutely agree with this. They haven't had anymore follow your sims to work careers since GTW and I guess they can't really or they down play GTW main features. It could have some work from home options, but... that's not really a super great option for "teaching" other sims so they will likely just keep it a rabbit hole only.

Acting in GF is an active career. But you're right, they're the main feature of GTW so they probably want to keep them mostly exclusive.

I don't know if teaching fits the work from home system unless there's something like "grade tests" or maybe mentoring other Sims, that's why I'm assuming it'll be the usual rabbit hole. The Engineering career that's also coming in DU is more likely for that system, imo. But with the focus on studies and extra-curricular clubs (debate, robotics, whatever else), the careers will likely be simple.
  • Options

Acting in GF is an active career. But you're right, they're the main feature of GTW so they probably want to keep them mostly exclusive.

I don't know if teaching fits the work from home system unless there's something like "grade tests" or maybe mentoring other Sims, that's why I'm assuming it'll be the usual rabbit hole. The Engineering career that's also coming in DU is more likely for that system, imo. But with the focus on studies and extra-curricular clubs (debate, robotics, whatever else), the careers will likely be simple.

Completely forgot that! Shows you how much I play with that... :D

• Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member

The Veterinary career is active as well. But it's kind of between retail and active careers. Still, it's playable.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    EA_MaiEA_Mai Posts: 1,800 EA Staff (retired)
    I'm going to leave this link here... Discover University - Gameplay trailer ;)
  • Options
    LiELF wrote: »

The Veterinary career is active as well. But it's kind of between retail and active careers. Still, it's playable.

Forgot about that one too! *facepalm* I feel like that's more retail...

These careers though, I don't mind following my sim to. There's actual stuff to do. I don't see teaching have that much interactions to make it viable as a follow to work career. I'd be perfectly ok with it being a rabbit hole too.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »
    Twicelikey wrote: »
    Crying in the bathroom..oh goodness my sim is going to suffer just like I am.

I really hope this is not tuned to some ridiculous number so every 5 mins some sim is crying in the bathroom.

Lol ok. Did you forget what game you are playing? Sims barely cry at all in this game.

No I did not. Everything they do takes forever...
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    edited November 2019
    One decor item I want to see but haven't, is a bike rack. If my rides up to attend classes, even if their bike goes into my sims inventory, it would be nice to see a bike rack with a row of bikes. I don't need my sims bike to slot in, or those to be useful, I just want the look that everyone else also rides bikes. Is that too much to ask?

I can imagine the lag all those bikes in Sim's inventories could create. I hope they add a bike rack too.
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    keekee53 wrote: »
    One decor item I want to see but haven't, is a bike rack. If my rides up to attend classes, even if their bike goes into my sims inventory, it would be nice to see a bike rack with a row of bikes. I don't need my sims bike to slot in, or those to be useful, I just want the look that everyone else also rides bikes. Is that too much to ask?

I can imagine the lag all those bikes in Sim's inventories could create. I hope they add a bike rack too.

It probably "pops" into you inventory. If it stays on the sidewalk, they could at least allow another sim to steal it. :D