Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to trick or treat?

So, I made a Halloween holiday for my sims and there's an option to trick or treat on that holiday. It says Sim teens and children love the tradition but what I cannot figure out is how to do it. I bought the candy bowl and had them take a piece and it didn't complete that task. Do I have to have them go to houses and knock on doors? That's the only thing I can think of, which is real trick or treating anyways.

Comments

• Options
    DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    It’s actually very disappointing : your sims can’t go trick or treating, all you can do is wait for a disguised sim (kid or teen) to show up at your door and if you click on them you’ll have a “trick or treat” interaction but it doesn’t really do anything.
  • Options
    FaeChaiFaeChai Posts: 87 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »
    It’s actually very disappointing : your sims can’t go trick or treating, all you can do is wait for a disguised sim (kid or teen) to show up at your door and if you click on them you’ll have a “trick or treat” interaction but it doesn’t really do anything.

Dang that sucks. I waited all night and no kids showed up lol.
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    FaeChai wrote: »

Dang that plum. I waited all night and no kids showed up lol.

Yeah, it sucks. :( All my save games and I've never seen a trick or treater. Halloween is my favourite too so double down the disappointment. I actually ended up removing it from my holiday in my latest save, it feels like less of a let down when no one shows up then.

Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited October 2019
    This feature is broken.....I have actually reported it on the HQ forums and provided a save....hopefully they made something out of it. It seems almost no one is getting trick or treaters spawning.

As for the trick or treat interaction IT IS in the game. It was actually even patched with a holiday event back in the day so they have the code for it, and sims are suppose to actually animate and give a little candy to others. Tricking is just the scare interaction recycled....lol If you threw a Spooky Party you used to be able to use these interactions but they no longer appeared after Seasons. In the same post I did talk about the missing trick or treat interaction so maybe it's looked into, but knowing how this game operates it'll be a year before they fix it if at all.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/NEEDS-INPUT-S-No-Trick-or-Treating-during-holiday/m-p/8284552#M106936

You'd think though that with Seasons they'd make trick or treating more intricate and add new animations but nope.........
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Camkat wrote: »

Yeah, it plum. :( All my save games and I've never seen a trick or treater. Halloween is my favourite too so double down the disappointment. I actually ended up removing it from my holiday in my latest save, it feels like less of a let down when no one shows up then.

Did you replace it with something? I've thought about replacing it with storytelling, but my current main family lives in Brindleton Bay - aka Rain World - and I don't want to rely on needing a fire pit.
  • Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    I tried it several times and never had any trick or treaters either. Also I didn't see any other sims wear costumes.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member

In my experience, that's frequently how it goes in real life. The upside is I have a basket of candy all through November. ;)
  • Options
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    Camkat wrote: »

Yeah, it plum. :( All my save games and I've never seen a trick or treater. Halloween is my favourite too so double down the disappointment. I actually ended up removing it from my holiday in my latest save, it feels like less of a let down when no one shows up then.

Did you replace it with something? I've thought about replacing it with storytelling, but my current main family lives in Brindleton Bay - aka Rain World - and I don't want to rely on needing a fire pit.

I haven't replaced it with anything yet. Not sure what else to put there but I am planning and thinking on it. Might as well use the space! ;)
    Sindocat wrote: »

In my experience, that's frequently how it goes in real life. The upside is I have a basket of candy all through November. ;)

This is often how it goes in my neighbourhood too! :D

• Options
    FurSimsOfficialFurSimsOfficial Posts: 2,362 Member
    edited October 2019
    Tried it once and same results. I did try it after Seasons came out and are you telling me they still have not fixed this???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    God, I can not deal with this game anymore.
    And besides that, Halloween is end of the month, with all their pointless support and marketing of costumes and halloween stuff for console, how can you miss to fix the actual feature in the game!
  • Options
    Tried it once and same results. I did try it after Seasons came out and are you telling me they still have not fixed this???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    God, I can not deal with this game anymore.
    And besides that, Halloween is end of the month, with all their pointless support and marketing of costumes and halloween stuff for console, how can you miss to fix the actual feature in the game!

Honestly they should be adding costumes for toddlers, not YA. Since toddlers weren't around when Spooky Stuff came out.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Since we're on the topic of Holidays...What other Holiday's do you guys make? I do the WinterFest Eve and Halloween, Spring cleaning day and Flower Bunny day.
  • Options
    Since we're on the topic of Holidays...What other Holiday's do you guys make? I do the WinterFest Eve and Halloween, Spring cleaning day and Flower Bunny day.

I've made a Spring cleaning and Flower Bunny day too but I put them both on the same day to save days. :D So in the morning, everyone hunts eggs and gardens, then the flower bunny shows up and everyone cleans! Haha
  • Options
    Flower Bunny is pretty dang awesome. Good idea putting them on same day lol. QqQzBNe.jpg
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member

I think it's broken. I haven't had any trick or treaters in ages.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,449 Member
    How can they let trick or treating be broken in October?

That's just mean. :'(
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member
    Can sims use the spooky bowl from the stuff pack on lots other than their own?

My idea for trick and treating was this:
    - For every family in the neighborhood I decide if they give out candy or not.
    - Families that give out candy place the spooky bowl on their porch or on the lawn.
    - Alternately they can also bake cookies or other appropriate stuff and leave that out in the open.
    - Now my family goes from house to house and if they see the bowl/a cake/etc., they grab a treat. But if they see no bowl, they prank the residents with a mischief interaction. (Of course you'll need to tolerate loading screens for that)

Any other ideas for active trick and treating?
  • Options
    Can sims use the spooky bowl from the stuff pack on lots other than their own?

My idea for trick and treating was this:
    - For every family in the neighborhood I decide if they give out candy or not.
    - Families that give out candy place the spooky bowl on their porch or on the lawn.
    - Alternately they can also bake cookies or other appropriate stuff and leave that out in the open.
    - Now my family goes from house to house and if they see the bowl/a cake/etc., they grab a treat. But if they see no bowl, they prank the residents with a mischief interaction. (Of course you'll need to tolerate loading screens for that)

Any other ideas for active trick and treating?

If it's not inside their house then they should be able to use it. It might work. If you do it and it works let us know. Sadly it won't complete the tradition though.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

In addition to those, I have:
    Earth Day
    Superbowl Sunday
    Spring Break (streaking included)
    Health Day
    Rememberance Day (For funerals)
    4th of July
    National Movie Day
    Father's Day
    Mother's Day
    The Purge
    Music Appreciation Day
    National Baking Day
    Labor Day
    Thanksgiving
    Nature Appreciation Day
    Winter Break (lasts 2 days)
    Christmas Eve
    Christmas
    New Years Eve
    Valentine's Day
    Summer Vacation (a full week off for kids/teens)

I like holidays. <3
  • Options
    IceyJ wrote: »

The Purge

I like holidays. <3
    Is there fighting or... :D
  • Options
    asimbsimasimbsim Posts: 476 Member
    If you don't mind mods, KawaiiStacie has Explore mod, and trick or treating is an option. It is only a rabbit hole, but you can send your children and teen sims off trick or treating in their costumes and they even come home with sweets/candy. And it meets the holiday trick or treat requirement thingy :)
  • Options
    IceyJ wrote: »

The Purge

I like holidays. <3
    Is there fighting or... :D

Yep. :)
    dGonaNZ.jpg

I'm now using the Life Tragedies mod, so I'll probably incorporate kidnappings and armed robberies somehow. I'm going to ask the creator to add a tradition for the tragedies.
  • Options
    Sofmc9Sofmc9 Posts: 499 Member
    edited October 2019
    Or invite kids over. Then you can trick or treat :3

YMazHNf.png

eAqBiBB.png

AIEhaYq.png

eRh0noq.png
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member

I added a Springfest (Garden, Decorate, Grand Meal), a Summerfest (Grill, Fireworks, Attend a ceremony (which I pretend is the local fireworks show), Summer break (4 days with no tradtions but as days off. I just picked up LilMsSam's school holiday mod, so I may put that in), and Winter break (the two days between Winterfest and New Year's eve)

And of course Fright Fest - And I'm disappointed that petting ghost cats or talking to your Alien half-sister doesn't count towards Spooky Spirit, either. Nor does *being* an Alien...

I play with two week seasons, and I moved Love Day to the first Friday of Spring, but I'm considering moving it again to that Saturday, because it happens that that's when the Romance Festival hits.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Sofmc9 wrote: »
    Or invite kids over. Then you can trick or treat :3

YMazHNf.png

eAqBiBB.png

AIEhaYq.png

eRh0noq.png

That pumpkin bowl The little kid is carrying is from a mod right?
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member
    edited October 2019
    If it's not inside their house then they should be able to use it. It might work. If you do it and it works let us know. Sadly it won't complete the tradition though.
    Tried it and it worked as intended. I don't have Seasons, so not completing the tradition isn't an issue for me.

Pictures

First the elderly Reed couple prepared a camping table. Then I switched to a household with a child and toddler to bring them over as visitors.
    The Reeds forgot to actually make popcorn, so my visiting sims had to do it themselves.
    They haven't yet knocked at the door, so the rest of the house is still inaccessable.

19cj9e.jpg

I couldn't put the spooky bowl on the porch for some reason, so it went on the lawn. Padme was able to use it.
    Despite this Max (who was in my group, but not controlable) pranked the Reeds. Ah, well, that's Max Villareal for you, I guess.

21rkig.jpg

Padme then grabbed a plate of cookies for her little sister, Sigrun. With no seating nearby, Sigrun turned around herself a few times, but eventually settled on the pavement and ate the cookies.
    There was also the option to put the food in a lunch bag, in case you want your kids to take some home.

32qkjk.jpg

The kids then parttook of the popcorn while the accompanying adult helped himself to the Kava the Reeds had prepared beforehand. He called everyone, so the hosts finally showed up.

437jd6.jpg

I then had Padme knock at the door. She found another spooky bowl inside the house that she tried, too.

5yujz2.jpg

Right picture: it's hard to see, but that's a fire cracker the Reeds had placed on the lawn. I made Padme open ten or so of them before she eventually got a plushie. It landed in her inventory to keep.

And later I caught a glimpse of Dorothy Reed cleaning up behind the kids.

65sk9r.jpg