Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Bring back Whims!!!

13...Next

Comments

• Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    I thought we still had them...they’re just on a toggle in game settings where you can turn them off or on.

the issue is there not adding new ones @Pamtastic72

They’ve often indicated they can see what features we use in game, like they stopped adding secret lots because they had some kind of data that showed few players visited them. Perhaps it’s the same with whims. They may have data that shows that few players interact with them, especially since being able to toggle them off, and so they haven’t bothered to add new ones. I turned mine off a long time ago and hav never given them a second thought because I found them boring and repetitive and the constant cycling of them was intrusive.

Problem with the secret lots is there is nothing to do in them -- had they made them interesting places to go, they'd be used more. Same with whims. If they were relevant and interesting, they'd be used. Sims 2 had incredible depth, with wants, fears, etc. Sims 3 had a lot of depth as well, with whims being based on personality and current interests. Sim on a reading jag? They'll get wishes to read more. They stop reading for awhile and move onto painting? They'll roll fewer book-related wishes and more painting-related ones. Sims 4? They are just not interesting at all, and are quite repetitive.
  • Options
    fruitsbasket101fruitsbasket101 Posts: 1,530 Member
    Felicity wrote: »
    I thought we still had them...they’re just on a toggle in game settings where you can turn them off or on.

They’ve often indicated they can see what features we use in game, like they stopped adding secret lots because they had some kind of data that showed few players visited them. Perhaps it’s the same with whims. They may have data that shows that few players interact with them, especially since being able to toggle them off, and so they haven’t bothered to add new ones. I turned mine off a long time ago and hav never given them a second thought because I found them boring and repetitive and the constant cycling of them was intrusive.

Problem with the secret lots is there is nothing to do in them -- had they made them interesting places to go, they'd be used more. Same with whims. If they were relevant and interesting, they'd be used. Sims 2 had incredible depth, with wants, fears, etc. Sims 3 had a lot of depth as well, with whims being based on personality and current interests. Sim on a reading jag? They'll get wishes to read more. They stop reading for awhile and move onto painting? They'll roll fewer book-related wishes and more painting-related ones. Sims 4? They are just not interesting at all, and are quite repetitive.

I was going to comment something like this. I totally agree. The problem with the way they get their game data is that it doesn't show why people aren't using things just that they aren't. They seem to think that people not playing much with something means we don't want it. So instead of improving on something they take it out which, to me, is just a lazy way of thinking. Find out why your players don't use certain items. They may find that with slight improvements these things would get used more often.
    Have a super fantastic awesome splendid amazing day! -TheQxxn
  • Options
    edited September 2019

I was going to comment something like this. I totally agree. The problem with the way they get their game data is that it doesn't show why people aren't using things just that they aren't. They seem to think that people not playing much with something means we don't want it. So instead of improving on something they take it out which, to me, is just a lazy way of thinking. Find out why your players don't use certain items. They may find that with slight improvements these things would get used more often.

My favorite example of telemetry fail is for Dragon Age Origins. The devs were shocked at how popular the romance with Leliana was, with over 90% of players ending the game in a romance with her. They brought her back because they saw her as so beloved. The thing is, Leliana had a lot of really nasty bugs -- a few were related to her romance. One would switch on her romance flag inadvertently in a certain conversation with her. Then there was one where she'd confront you, and when your surprised warden would then break up with her, the flag to break up the romance was not set, leaving the warden in a romance with her and that conversation would never trigger again. So yes, the only way to avoid that scenario in an unmodded game is to not talk to her very much. And what's worse is the devs knew these bugs existed, there were endless complaints about the ending slides mentioning her over Morrigan and Zevran (slides were triggered in alphabetical order so only Alistair romances avoided the incorrect slides), yet they kept insisting that she really was that popular. Probably because one of the lead devs adored her.

Edit: The way this relates to the Sims is that looking at the telemetry without understanding WHY the data looks the way it does means there's a lot of bad information out there. Most people are not statisticians and do not really know how to interpret data. It's not nearly as simple and straight forward as most people believe. You can see trends, of course, but that gives you a starting point, not an ending one, if you want to know what your numbers are actually saying.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member

well if they do add new ones it wouldn't bother you if yours are off also how are new players to know about them if there off by default it should have been the other way around where you can turn them off if you want but they are already on

Oh no, I realize that. I would maybe use them again if they added some new ones, especially if they were more dynamic than just wanting a 1X1 swimming pool. :)

I agree well said @Pamtastic72
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    I noticed that too @Francl27. There are no new whims associated with any of the newer game packs. & it's the same whims over and over, like walking the dog. It's very frustrating because my Sims don't even have a dog, but yet they constantly get that whim. I think there needs to be an overhaul of the whims. By default, whims are turned off in game options & you have to turn them on. It seems super backwards to me, as whims has always been associated with Sims in every franchise. It seems like the default option would be whims turned on and you can switch them off. All I know, is that it's pointless to have them turned on, which is unfortunate.
  • Options
    LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    I am curious to know when they stopped adding new whims? Around what pack did that happen?

I don't want to get my hopes up but that sounds a lot like we are getting something new soon.

Hopefully wants and fears like Sims 2.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    I am curious to know when they stopped adding new whims? Around what pack did that happen?

I don't want to get my hopes up but that sounds a lot like we are getting something new soon.

I think they took them out about a year ago. Maybe November? You could probably check the patch notes. I don't think they're planning on replacing them, though I'd love to be proven wrong on that.

Edit: I could check the patch notes as well. It was last November.
  • Options
    LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member

I think they took them out about a year ago. Maybe November? You could probably check the patch notes. I don't think they're planning on replacing them, though I'd love to be proven wrong on that.

And there hasn't been any new whims related to any pack since then?
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • Options

No. In fact, I'm not sure when they stopped putting new whims in, but that's the point where they made them optional. I haven't played Sims 4 for a minute as I'm back on Sims 3, but I don't remember any Vampire whims, nor any Seasons whims either, though if there are those in the game, someone will correct me soon enough.
  • Options
    Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 634 Member
    edited September 2019

No. In fact, I'm not sure when they stopped putting new whims in, but that's the point where they made them optional. I haven't played Sims 4 for a minute as I'm back on Sims 3, but I don't remember any Vampire whims, nor any Seasons whims either, though if there are those in the game, someone will correct me soon enough.

There are whims for vampires and seasons. My sims get the whim to buy a bee box from seasons all the time.
  • Options
    Evie0602 wrote: »

There are whims for vampires and seasons. My sims get the whim to buy a bee box from seasons all the time.

Ah, thank you. I knew someone would know :D I barely play Sims 4 at this point, but a totally revamped whim system could absolutely bring me back. I still don't think it will happen, though.
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member
    Evie0602 wrote: »

That stupid bee box one is the only one I ever got from that, and I never saw a vampire one before I turned them off.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member

Exactly. In particular, the proper use of a 'secret lot' would have been something like a dive lot or a mermaid grotto. The previous lots were places to do what? Fish? Collect rocks and frogs? No wonder no one visited them.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Cynna wrote: »

Exactly. In particular, the proper use of a 'secret lot' would have been something like a dive lot or a mermaid grotto. The previous lots were places to do what? Fish? Collect rocks and frogs? No wonder no one visited them.

and they never gave hints that there were any lots
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,096 Member

In Sims 2 the secret lots were generally useful. The Witch lots had the witches obviously, but you could also learn spells and potions there instead of keeping the stuff on your home lot, or buy regents from the witch. The Secret lots in the vacation worlds didn't have a lot, but they got you useful objects like the voodoo doll or you could meet Big Foot. You could live full time on the University secret lots, because they had everything you needed plus reward objects.
    I miss that stuff.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Options
    VamprisVampris Posts: 1,127 Member
    Problem with the secret lots is there is nothing to do in them -- had they made them interesting places to go, they'd be used more.

Both of these are right on the nose. The secret areas are just "Wow look at this beautiful place!" and then you find out there is pretty much nothing to do there and then you leave cause your needs are low.

Honestly if they made it so you had the ability to build down there (which I don't get why you can't do that with the Grotto cause there is literally a building area where the toilet is) people might use them more as a sort of hidden bar/nightclub or even a livable area secluded from everyone else. I mean it includes 24/7 protection from the sun and living inside of a cave would be amazing for vampires. Not to mention the mystical nature of the Glade for magical sims.

I literally looked up why to go to either of those areas and it's for five fish;
    Tilapia (Glade), Wolf Eel (Grotto), Anglerfish (both), Batfish (Grotto), Rainbowfish (Grotto)
    EMrBkJP.png
  • Options
    james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    @Scobre
    Short list. Children though elders need more. Children should be able to play with mirror. Teens should be shorter. Maybe sometimes they play with children toys. Moodlet missing childhood. Young Adult/Adult a few new activities. Elders canes. Missing Youth sad moodlet. Free update update the three wishes. If they add optional wants and fears. Maybe even make it where you can play the game in Sims 2 way if a simmer plays by zodiac.
    I think with that if they put in my idea on Ironseagull normal things video the game would have better replay value. Add little drama this game would feel more complete. The sims are to happy in my opinion.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    james64468 wrote: »
    @Scobre
    Short list. Children though elders need more. Children should be able to play with mirror. Teens should be shorter. Maybe sometimes they play with children toys. Moodlet missing childhood. Young Adult/Adult a few new activities. Elders canes. Missing Youth sad moodlet. Free update update the three wishes. If they add optional wants and fears. Maybe even make it where you can play the game in Sims 2 way if a simmer plays by zodiac.
    I think with that if they put in my idea on Ironseagull normal things video the game would have better replay value. Add little drama this game would feel more complete. The sims are to happy in my opinion.
    True and love your ideas too. Yeah it is like life isn't life without a bit of drama to it. No ones life is perfect and it is sad to see this not reflected in the Sims in more ways. I agree about Sims being too happy. The room/environment moodlets tend to override any emotion system the game has in the game. It is like playing a MMO game that just has good buffs, but no debuffs. Makes me miss the way Sims 2 had personality points instead because at least then my Sims felt different from each other.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    SuperCoolRachaelSuperCoolRachael Posts: 392 Member
    They're seriously not even adding new whims with DLC anymore? That's the laziest thing I've ever heard of. It's like they've completely abandoned anything that isn't immediately profitable, and just want to crank out the barest of bare bones of a game.

I would be fine if this were temporary so they can revamp the system, though. That had better be it.
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited October 2019
    Strangerville was the first pack that did not add any new whims. But even before, most of the new whims added were whims to buy the new items. I personally never liked buy whims much as I tend to buy the stuff I want to use on a lot and don't want to cramp more stuff in just because EA is obsessed with buy whims.

Whims is not the first thing they abandoned. The away actions were abandoned within a few months after the release. I never understood why. It's not that there are a ton of new skills coming with each pack so they could have very well added the new skills as away actions. Initially, they said they'd expand on the away actions to make up for the non-open world. Apparantly, they quickly gave up on it.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen