Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Okay, That Was Unexpected — What To Do Now?

Just when I thought I had broken out of the syndrome of needing to restart my family one more time — I make a fatal mistake. Don't ask me what I did, I really didn't expect what happened to happen. I'm playing on LONG, for Surak's sake!

I made a choice to create additional children for this family. But, since the Mom had passed away, I used another copy of the parents from my library to use the genetic tool to add three more children to the household. I moved in the second family to the town, used Manage Households to move the children into the Dad's household and then deleted the duplicate parents via Manage Household.

Two things messed up my game. 1.) These three children weren't seen as anything more than roommates, even after taking them all into cas.fulleditmode. I also made the silly move to age up the Dad to Elder. I left that household for only a moment and upon my return, in which I went into build/buy mode to make sure there were enough beds. In looking at the family picture, the Dad was gone! Then, at some point, I noticed the father had passed away. Why? I play on LONG. I certainly didn't expect him to die moments after I aged him up in CAS. Does this automatically add days to their lives? I do know it was the original Dad, as his urn was in the foyer of their home. The other family I placed on a vacant lot.

I'm very much aggrieved by this turn of events. I even attempted to make him a playable ghost with the idea I'd revive him via the Whispering Wishing Well, but the remaining family can't invite him to move in. Nevermind that the younger siblings will forever be seen as roommates. I could get over that one. But, he's a ghost. He's not allowed to be a ghost at this time. It's wrecking my story!

Unfortunately, despite how hard I have fought the urge to restart this rotation save AGAIN. I don't see much choice in the matter. This time, I won't forget the additional children, even if I have to move some of them into a different lot for a time.

Oi!

So, what mishaps occurred in your game today? Please do share. Misery loves company, after all.
You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/

Comments

• Options
    SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,309 Member
    Can you cheat-add him to the family?
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I have a save with four families, whom I plan several marriages between.
    One of my chosen couples are great friends, but all romantic interaction is negative between them... until yesterday.
    I'd given up trying to get them together, and the guy threw a party, invited the other families, and started flirting with the women in them. Everyone ended up in a good flirty mood. He flirted with the girl, and for the first time, it didn't get a negative reaction. So he tried again, and again and again. All good.
    After the party, I noticed that his relationship with his sister was a bit odd... she was classed as a romantic interest. That flirty mood seems to have been a little too contagious. o.O
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    HillyBethHillyBeth Posts: 3,505 Member
    Just when I thought I had broken out of the syndrome of needing to restart my family one more time — I make a fatal mistake. Don't ask me what I did, I really didn't expect what happened to happen. I'm playing on LONG, for Surak's sake!

I made a choice to create additional children for this family. But, since the Mom had passed away, I used another copy of the parents from my library to use the genetic tool to add three more children to the household. I moved in the second family to the town, used Manage Households to move the children into the Dad's household and then deleted the duplicate parents via Manage Household.

Two things messed up my game. 1.) These three children weren't seen as anything more than roommates, even after taking them all into cas.fulleditmode. I also made the silly move to age up the Dad to Elder. I left that household for only a moment and upon my return, in which I went into build/buy mode to make sure there were enough beds. In looking at the family picture, the Dad was gone! Then, at some point, I noticed the father had passed away. Why? I play on LONG. I certainly didn't expect him to die moments after I aged him up in CAS. Does this automatically add days to their lives? I do know it was the original Dad, as his urn was in the foyer of their home. The other family I placed on a vacant lot.

I'm very much aggrieved by this turn of events. I even attempted to make him a playable ghost with the idea I'd revive him via the Whispering Wishing Well, but the remaining family can't invite him to move in. Nevermind that the younger siblings will forever be seen as roommates. I could get over that one. But, he's a ghost. He's not allowed to be a ghost at this time. It's wrecking my story!

Unfortunately, despite how hard I have fought the urge to restart this rotation save AGAIN. I don't see much choice in the matter. This time, I won't forget the additional children, even if I have to move some of them into a different lot for a time.

Oi!

So, what mishaps occurred in your game today? Please do share. Misery loves company, after all.

The instant-death happened the same way for me with Anthony and Jessamine McConnell. Not making that mistake again.
    Origin ID
    HillyPlays
    P.A.C.E- Positive Attitude Changes Everything
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    This didn't happen to me today but a while back. I was playing a sim who had 3 different romantic interest. She was searching for her soulmate, and she did finally choose "the one", and broke it off with the other two. But apparently one of the ex's decided he wasn't finished with the relationship, because some time after she was married and settled into her role as a wife, he popped in, and done some flirty interactions. Even though she didn't respond positively, her husband took it the wrong way. And boy oh boy did he get angry, and decided to end the marriage.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,585 Member
    Oh, wow! @LaBlue0314 I think I would cry.
    Can you cheat-add him to the family?

And how does one do that? Is there a cheat to make them parent/children, too?

You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I remembered the worst thing that ever happened to me in Sims 3 was when the Celebrity issue and Generations clashed, it destroyed quite a few of my happy couples until I got a mod to put a stop to that nonsense.
  • Options
    ayyitsmellayyitsmell Posts: 434 Member
    I believe when you grow them up via CAS, the amount of days they’ve already experienced in the other lifestage stays. The game doesn’t really recognize it as a birthday so you’re just switching the lifestage. That happened with a download I got from the gallery. I made him from adult to teen and then the second I moved him in, he grew up into a YA. I guess the person who made him had played with him before uploading him.

Also, since I am constantly switching from household to household, I play with aging off for the households I’m not playing with. I made that mistake of leaving it on once and Mortimer grew old and died before I ever got the chance to play with him. Very upsetting lol my sister tried to bring Mortimer back the same way you did (by bringing him in from the gallery again) but we couldn’t edit the family relationships so the family just recognizes him as a roommate/stepdad. Might as well let him die again LOL

To get the ghost in your household, turn on testingcheats, right click on the ghost, add the ghost to your household (if there is space left in the household, the button is ‘add to family’). You can turn him back into a human by making ambrosia for him (requires cooking level 10, angelfish, death flower, and potion of youth) or having him make a ‘wish for life’ in the wishing well after giving a very generous donation. Idk if there’s another way to make him human, maybe through cheats. Also, when you make him human, you could probably edit the relationships in CAS with full edit mode on and it will recognize the younger siblings as ‘half-siblings’ since it’s the original dad.

Hope that helped! :smile:
    Ayy It's Mell ♥

• Options
    sekojranasekojrana Posts: 107 Member
    I accidentally killed one of my sims, but i cheated him back to life. i have mccc installed, so i'm not sure if it was a testingcheats option or mccc, but with cheats enabled i shift clicked on the urn and selected 'resurrect' and it brought that sim back to life and part of the original household. everything was just the same as before he died, except now he has his own urn in his inventory (and i'm not quite sure how to get rid of it lol)
  • Options
    ayyitsmell wrote: »
    I believe when you grow them up via CAS, the amount of days they’ve already experienced in the other lifestage stays. The game doesn’t really recognize it as a birthday so you’re just switching the lifestage. That happened with a download I got from the gallery. I made him from adult to teen and then the second I moved him in, he grew up into a YA. I guess the person who made him had played with him before uploading him.

Also, since I am constantly switching from household to household, I play with aging off for the households I’m not playing with. I made that mistake of leaving it on once and Mortimer grew old and died before I ever got the chance to play with him. Very upsetting lol my sister tried to bring Mortimer back the same way you did (by bringing him in from the gallery again) but we couldn’t edit the family relationships so the family just recognizes him as a roommate/stepdad. Might as well let him die again LOL

To get the ghost in your household, turn on testingcheats, right click on the ghost, add the ghost to your household (if there is space left in the household, the button is ‘add to family’). You can turn him back into a human by making ambrosia for him (requires cooking level 10, angelfish, death flower, and potion of youth) or having him make a ‘wish for life’ in the wishing well after giving a very generous donation. Idk if there’s another way to make him human, maybe through cheats. Also, when you make him human, you could probably edit the relationships in CAS with full edit mode on and it will recognize the younger siblings as ‘half-siblings’ since it’s the original dad.

Hope that helped! :smile:

Thank you!
    sekojrana wrote: »
    I accidentally killed one of my sims, but i cheated him back to life. i have mccc installed, so i'm not sure if it was a testingcheats option or mccc, but with cheats enabled i shift clicked on the urn and selected 'resurrect' and it brought that sim back to life and part of the original household. everything was just the same as before he died, except now he has his own urn in his inventory (and i'm not quite sure how to get rid of it lol)

Thank you, too! I also use MCCC. But, obviously, I'm still in the learning curve end of things. LOL
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I always make two saves after my favourite Sim's stove killed him and save overwrite every ten minutes! I get so paranoid on their behalf now!
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Simburian wrote: »
    I always make two saves after my favourite Sim's stove killed him and save overwrite every ten minutes! I get so paranoid on their behalf now!

I have a tendency to do the Save As …, as a means to 'refresh' the save so it doesn't get all glitchy. And I always have copies of my families in My Library. I foolishly forgot that the copy of these Sims would be like brand new Sims in my game, so that even though it was the same couple (to me, anyway), they weren't the couple that begot the first group of children. :open_mouth: I think what I'll have to do should I start anew, is have Mom move out and invite Dad over so that they can have the remaining children and they'd all be one BIG happy family. (Although, I think I tried that once and it didn't quite work out … )

Back in Sims3, after complaining loudly that random deaths really never occurred in my game, suddenly my singer Rock Star celebrity became a target! Can't tell you how many times I restarted. LOL So many, I flat out lost count. The last go-around my oldest granddaughter was watching me play. He was living with his only sister and her new husband, who had inherited a really cool ancient castle. The rooms were kept warm via fireplaces. Erik was in his room. If memory serves, he was warming himself by the fire. Dangerous activity, who knew? Suddenly, his sibling came running and attempted to put him out. Sadly, all efforts were in vain. My level six, singer was just on his way to the top. I was torn. Do I start again, or keep going? Granddaughter suggested I just keep going. And, I thought, what if there's a write up about this tragedy in the newspaper? Tragedy Strikes Rising Star. I had just made up my mind to keep going when the computer decided for me. Game crashed. The long and the short of it, I started over again!

Thank you, ALL, for your very helpful suggestions! This is another reason why I love this site!
  • Options
    sprootsproot Posts: 590 Member
    edited June 2018
    Two things messed up my game. 1.) These three children weren't seen as anything more than roommates, even after taking them all into cas.fulleditmode.

I hate when this happens.. A few months back I decided to extend my favorite family and make uncles, aunts, cousins and grandparents from both sides of the family. When I was making the mother's side of the family in CAS, I made the stupid mistake of making a parent from each sim instead of just one, and now the entire family tree is messed up. I find it slightly amusing actually. Thomas is supposed to be the mother and her brother's father...

UcNM1qe.png?2
    IMG-6587.gif
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited June 2018
    Couldn't you just not save the game? Restarting constantly seems very counterproductive. Anyway, you could use MCC to fix all of that.